elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Review for F.A.C.E.S. Collector's Edition

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 15, 11 4:42 AM
govegril wrote:Good quality game but the graphics are too dreary for me to pay extra- plus there is nothing special here to set it apart from the very very many CE's I already own.
The sheer numbers of CE's now is making it so easy to say no and wait.

If this game had one of the following I would buy the CE
1. Amazing graphics with pleasant cheery colours
2. Something different in the gameplay to make it interesting
3. Original storyline and setting
4. Less HOG scenes More adventure

None of these apply so will save my $$$$$

Hey Govegril--Would you mind if I put out my viewpoints re: your four observations?

1. One of VOGAT's fortes is "amazing graphics"--this is no slouch in that department; the setting is an "asylum"--probably not too many polka-dots and pink balloons and rainbows and happy s in a place like that.
2. & 3. What's not "different" about jumping into photographs to help yourself and others escape this place? Storyline--same. Setting? Asylum--yes. REDRUM or Green Hills? Nope. (Not too sure what setting you'd have in mind--this is a somewhat dark-themed game).
4. Made a comment earlier to Hannah57 about this being a classic HOPA--the best of all worlds, IMHO. I wish you the best of luck in finding a different game that meets one or all of your needs.

akferret
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by akferret on Jul 15, 11 5:08 AM
5 Stars across the board. But I was hooked from the beta, I almost didn't recognize it at first till I was reading the intro on it and it clicked. Bought it outright because I had to know what happens next. I ran into some kind of tech thing that I posted about already, but I'm not sure what happened, if it was the game or my computer, graphics card maybe. I'd recommend this game to someone who this kind of story line appeals to. Personally I can't stand vampires, wouldn't buy one of those games, so its taste and interest, but for me, great game.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 15, 11 6:44 AM
For the most part I love Vogat games and was looking forward to this one. I enjoyed the demo and bought it. However, I must agree with whoever said there are far too many hidden object scenes.

Yes it's listed as a hidden object game, so what do I expect? Not one hidden object scene after another, mostly repeats of locations and a few puzzles or interactions in between. I got to what felt like the hundredth scene to search and stopped playing out of sheer boredom.

I bought Tales Of Lagoona and expected all hidden object scenes. I didn't buy this game with the same expectations. Since I'm only at around page 30-something of the SG, no doubt there will be a lot more scenes to search.

Not what I was hoping for and disappointed that I spent money on the CE. Sadly there are no decent SE games coming out lately; two punchcard credits and nothing to buy.

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Jul 15, 11 8:29 AM
I enjoyed this demo, interesting story line. I will be saving up for this one. give the demo a try if you haven't already.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 15, 11 9:46 AM
I just finished the game (the bonus game is well over an hour long for me), and I am really glad I got the CE.

After all that darkish, dirty and cluttered space I had to face in the asylum, I finally got out in the end, and what a difference the bonus game is to the main game.

Like the sun coming out after a raging storm, like a breath of fresh air after not opening the windows for a week, like... well, you get my point. All I am saying is: I loved the bonus game, and I would have missed something great and fun if I had waited for the SE.

I really enjoyed the whole game, and apart from that glitch at the very end of the bonus, which got itself sorted out after I restarted the game, I had no problems.
And the puzzles were great as well (had to skip a few though). At least they were different from the usual ones you get in other games.

At first I had my doubts whether I would really enjoy this game (played enough games that were placed in asylums and looked filthy and terribly cluttered).
But I did enjoy this game. It had a very interesting story, and I never got bored in the, what, 6 hours? I played. Can`t really say how long it took me - never check the time - but the whole game must have taken about 6 hours, and that is with several skipped puzzles.

Thanks for a great game, Vogat! I really enjoyed myself.

Edited on 07/15/2011 at 9:54:35 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 15, 11 10:35 AM
Persistent_Cat wrote:Bpup, I'm just going to follow your reviews from now on, they're exactly how I feel. I had to laugh at the ad welcoming people to the asylum. Really? And you went? As ridiculous as calling your business a "centre of excellence," it's way more people friendly than "asylum."

I know you have to suspend belief sometimes but this one was too big a stretch.

Thanks - lol. I'll try to live up to expectations.

And it's little things like that - having a person willingly walk into an asylum - that can change a sense of anticipation into an eyeroll instead.

I am wondering, though, if the meaning of the word asylum is slightly different in Ukrainian than it is in English. Perhaps it has a more benign connotation?

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 15, 11 11:01 AM
I just finished the game and I liked it but not as well as some of the ones from Vogat..The graphics were clear and not hard to find and puzzles were easy to solve too. I don't think I will buy it as a CE but will wait until it comes out as a SE. Like a lot of other gamers you have to pick and choose. I would be broke if I got every CE. Have enough games to play to keep me going for a long long time.. Have a great day everyone.. It sure is a beauty here in NY state..

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 15, 11 11:54 AM
I love Vogat games, but I think I'll pass on this one. It's probably just me - I'm tired - but this game is simply too miserable to hold my interest. And not very exciting. There is nothing (unless I've missed it) which makes you interested in the girl at all. Kudos to the developers for taking on board wished for spooky games, but this one is simply not my cuppa.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Jul 15, 11 2:04 PM
Vogat's F.A.C.E.S. CE is Indescribably delicious - so great as to defy description.
The artistic graphics, creative storyline, imaginative game play, perfect music, clever minigames are meticulously designed just for our pleasure.

What a clever setting for all you adoring zealous "mad" gamers.

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Jul 15, 11 2:07 PM
I really should read other reviews but I'm just too excited. I demoed, bought and played F.A.C.E.S (not done yet).
At first, I wasn't sure about the game. I just wasn't into it. But I continued and soon I was just nonstop.

I was totally sucked into the storyline, which was awesome. I loved the graphics!
The artwork for the game was incredible!
The puzzles were good, some made me grind my teeth, but I had a skip button (which I love)
I'm really glad I bought the CE. I'm going to love having the pictures for my desktop, as well as having the music to listen to when I'm writing.

I'm a very happy camper!

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Jul 15, 11 2:39 PM
This is the first VOGAT game that did not draw me in immediately. Graphics mostly I think - just too dreary.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 16, 11 12:03 AM
Played through to the elevator opening...forced myself to stop and buy. Thanks, Vogat, for another good game. Graphics are good, plays entire screen on my wide screen, without having to change any settings, and I really appreciate that. I like the psychological suspense that I have seen, and heard about, so back to the game. I have my grandson, 10, visiting and am so glad I bought him the Fablehaven series of books...got him to read instead of wanting to play this one with me, lol. After a Nancy Drew game, and Legacy of GoldenTrails 2, I am ready to sink my teeth into something darker. This one appears to fit the bill. I do wish it had voices, but my imagination will take over, so I know I will enjoy this one.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 16, 11 12:08 AM
What a thoroughly enjoyable game. The art work was superb and the hidden objects were cleverly placed. The creative story was well told. The game led me along so well that use of the Strategy Guide was not necessary although I must admit I took the elevator more times than was necessary.

Well done folks. Appreciate BF bringing this game to us.

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Jul 16, 11 5:41 AM
peglegann wrote: PLEASE will you stop treating us like children and stop the click penalty! Your items are so well blended in some of the junkpile H0 scenes, that overclicking can happen! I can never see the point of a penalty anyway.

I could not agree more. To me a click penalty isn't, "You can't find our item." but, instead, "Our item is badly drawn." (I do realize that some are just incredibly well-hidden.)

Click penalties are hangovers from the old-style timed, scored games which, thankfully, seem to be going the way of the dodo. Who gives a flip about timing or what score some developer shill might have reached?

I just want to have a few hours of enjoyment for my money.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 16, 11 7:13 AM
tredzwater wrote:Click penalties are hangovers from the old-style timed, scored games which, thankfully, seem to be going the way of the dodo. Who gives a flip about timing or what score some developer shill might have reached?

Can you say Spintop? I hate the fact that all their games still give points for who-knows-what and for finding objects fast. I mean, the whole point about playing in relaxed mode is so that I don`t feel the need to do a fast-finding/fast-clicking mission. So why not at least leave the scores out of the relaxed mode. It just irritates me.

There is that. About the click penalties: I have played HOGs where you get a click penalty for just misclicking a few times, no matter how slow you went about it.

With this game, however, I never came across any penalities when I misclicked, and I misclicked quite a few times. I think that a lot of games give you a penalty if you not only misclick here and there, but furiously go about the scene and misclick. And that could very well be the case here because, as I said, I never got a clicking penalty, and I did misclick quite a bit - I just did it slowly.

But yes, why don`t developers just forget about all those penalites. Most of us don`t want them. It´s not really a challenge - being able to get through the H0 scenes without misclicking - it`s just annoying when your cursor suddenly does something unspeakable, while you were concentrating on finding unfindable objects.

[Post New]by StudentOfTrinity on Jul 16, 11 8:16 AM
If this game had come out a few years ago, it would really have blown everybody away. It seems kind of old fashioned and behind the pack in some ways now. Nonetheless I found its story gripping, and feel it was worth the money. In particular the CE bonus play is really good, better in many respects than the main game.

The graphics are good, all right, but no better than lots of recent games, and since the game setting is a real dump, F.A.C.E.S. is anything but beautiful. The game is mostly straight-up, old school HOG, with lots of hidden object scenes, including a fair amount of revisiting the same scenes, and even finding many of the same objects over again. The scenes are classic junk explosions, justified either by the notion that a derelict asylum can have pretty much anything lying around in it, or by occurring in dreamlike visions. The puzzle locks and so on are mostly of familiar types, though nicely executed.

The plot has a number of awkward jumps — the logic is often dreamily arbitrary even when you're not supposed to be in a dream world. Yes, this is par for the course with this whole game genre; but other recent titles have been smoother. And sometimes the plot has purely technical glitches, in that if you do things a bit out of order, you can get messages that don't quite make sense at the time you see them.

There are a couple of plot twists later in the game, but I'd say that you can judge quite fairly from the demo how much you'll like the story. If the story takes your interest, and if you used to like old school HOG from Huntsville days but haven't played a game like that for a while lately, then you'll probably like F.A.C.E.S. If that makes you think you might be willing to pay for the CE if it's a good one, then go for it, because the CE extras are particularly good in this case.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 16, 11 8:55 AM
When I first played this game I wasn't sold on it right away. However I did buy it and am about 3/4 of the way through and am totally enjoying it. Yes it is a little on the dreary and depressing side, but I like the creepiness of the game. The puzzles are good, some are a little hard (for me). My only complaint in this game apart from the dreariness of it is too many H0 scenes, but I'm not sorry I bought it.

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Jul 16, 11 10:54 AM
A great, creepy game for those who can deal with the theme. Some will find it too dismal, but I loved the graphics and the story, which i often don't give a hoot about (not a big fairy princess kind of gal, so it goes with what floats your boat). BUT, one of the best bonus chapters in a CE in quite some time. I'd have preferred the entire game more in that style. But worth the CE to me.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jul 16, 11 11:01 AM
I spoiler-tagged parts of this post to keep from giving away too much. If you want to read what's missing just highlight the invisible text with your cursor.

This was a terrific game. Here are my comments on the end and the bonus game. The ending without the bonus game is so abrupt (one screen to wrap up the entire game? Really?) that it leads you to believe you need the bonus game to finish. You don't.

At the end, the girl looks at a photograph, and says, "That was only the beginning." You get exactly one screen, so you feel like the bonus game must finish the game, but it doesn't. In the bonus game you go into the photograph and play a story from your past. You find out more about your father and your childhood. It does not finish the game you were previously playing, but it does flesh out the story, give you more information, and make the game feel more satisfying when you finish. Personally, I am glad I got the CE. If I'd played the SE, I always would have wondered what I missed, plus you get a more satisfying ending with the CE.

Edited on 07/16/2011 at 1:45:08 PM PST

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jul 16, 11 2:31 PM
Another Great game from Vogat. Long game and fun. Thanks

Go to: