Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Unsolved Mystery Club: Ancient Astronauts Collectors Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 21, 11 11:27 AM
I have to say (again) that I played through the whole game, and misclicked several times in most H0 scenes (one after the other), and never got a penalty. My screen never shook nor did my cursor do any unspeakable things.

Perhaps the penalty only applies if someone misclicks really quickly, when someone just randomly clicks about in the scene, which I don`t do.

I have read about other games giving click penalties, and again I don`t get any. I suppose it all depends on the way a person gets through a H0 scene.

Kukikat
Clownfish
Clownfish
711 Posts

[Post New]by Kukikat on Jul 21, 11 5:07 PM
I just bought this one and played until I made it out of the boat and on to the shore. So far I really like this game a lot and think it was a good purchase. Beautiful graphics and it plays very smooth on my laptop. I am surely going to enjoy the rest of it, when I get a chance to go back to it!

Happy gaming!

[Post New]by immerfat on Jul 22, 11 7:08 PM
This is one of the most unfun games I have played from BFG. There are few fun mini-games and the whole plot is just stupid (sorry). Also, it is ridiculously difficult to figure out what one must do at each stage of the gameplay and I am a very experienced gamer with this sort of game. It is simply no fun. Don't buy it!!

Terrenis
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Terrenis on Jul 23, 11 1:49 AM
I've played the game for a few minutes now, after it finally started running (it didn't yesterday, which was very frustrating) and I must say, it's not bad, but not good either. Quitted after twenty minutes. The graphics are very good and also the length of the game, but if you want to skip a mini game, it takes forever until the function has loaded and I'm not the most patient player. So I'll think about it if I'm going to purchase it.

jazzl2010
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by jazzl2010 on Jul 23, 11 10:44 AM
I loved it..interesting story...good gameplay..great graphics..

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 23, 11 3:45 PM
Graphics – 3 stars
Story – 3 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 4 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

Might purchase this game in the near future.

Edited on 07/23/2011 at 3:50:02 PM PST

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jul 23, 11 5:49 PM
Game started out pretty good, but then got mundane and boring. I got so tired of the shaky screen, it was annoying. I used some hints to get through and some strategy hints. The puzzles were not fun, just click click click. The push puzzles were very hard and I could not do them. The match puzzles were boring and just repetative. Overall, I don't think I would buy this game had I known how dark and boring it was. Sorry BF. Just not enough excitement.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jul 24, 11 12:37 PM
I liked the game. Seemed a little short for my liking...if I was anyone who hasnt purchased the CE yet..please wait for the regular addition....the bonus content took me like 45 min if that even. Not worth as a CE.

Edited on 07/24/2011 at 12:37:45 PM PST

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

pretty weak for a CE

[Post New]by eedebeep on Jul 24, 11 7:30 PM
very boring and pedantic game, obv the developers have a thing for "ancient mysteries" fine but put the stories as optional so i don't have to read them to play game.. not enough hidden object scenes. I reviewed this as a beta and wasn't thrilled then, should have kept my money... C+

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 25, 11 3:17 PM
been out a while with the move so... just catching up and tossing in my 2

not a difficult game to figure out, nothing too 'off the beaten path' for the average HOG gamer... also nothing to wrack the brain so far since you're either told what you need to be looking for or stumble into it blindly... definitely not a strategy heavy game just follow the story, see how it unravels, and help it along a little when you can...

the wildness of the dark continent coupled with landing at night lends the first chapter a fiery light, a mystery smouldering slowly, waiting to have its layers peeled away toward discovery... it doesn't surprise me at all that others have comments on how the scenes change as the game goes "downhill" as with each venture to a starker location... as in 'heart of darkness' we are all swallowed into the mouth of the beast eagerly when it seduces us, but where else on earth can hold a candle to this enigmatic temptress?

having only played the demo, i would say that i feel there are strong comparisons to ameila by design only... this edition in the series seems to strive to be its own game and will certainly make it more difficult for those that follow... i find this particular installment very intriguing and am always amazed by the truths around us that seem stranger than any fiction we could come up with on our own...

that said, i feel it's a great piece to unravel - and should be treated as any mystery... the closer to the core you get, the fewer smoke and mirror shows stand in your way to the truth that rests as a solid, hard kernel in the center of it all...

don't know if anyone out there is familiar with it, but john carpenter's the thing was an antarctic blitz of thriller/horror glory back in the day... but it was dressed up compared to the novella by h.p. lovecraft on which it was based... in all, it makes one wonder how much of the 'occult' is actually 'hidden' and how much is lurking in plain sight in real world phenomena...

joker1950
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by joker1950 on Jul 26, 11 5:40 AM
I too, did not have to bend the brain for this game, I think I should have waited for the "normal" version. I thought it was much too short for the money, but got hooked by the brilliant beginning and forked over the two credits,. Next time I will be sure to wait! It just kept on going downhill, did they run out of ink or what? only 2 stars for the story, 2 more for the value for money, maybe 3 for the puzzles, but too repetitive.

Edited on 07/26/2011 at 5:42:42 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jul 26, 11 9:22 AM
Absolutely loving this game! Keep saying I'm not going to purchase anymore CE's since I don't use the wallpaper or music extras, or strategy guides, but I again, could not resist purchasing this game. Guess I'm just too impatient to wait for the SE to come out.

Anyway, really nice graphics and music. Not a difficult game to play, but still very enjoyable. A good deal of interactive activitiy, and what seems to be a nice length to the game as well. Storyline is interesting, and I have yet to experience any technical glitches in the game. The cut scenes are very nice as well. I rate this game 5 starts and 5 thumbs up! Grade A+++

Very Happy Camper Here

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Jul 27, 11 11:15 AM
In one word: Terrible.

Given the subject matter at hand, this could have been a really, and I mean really interesting and satisfying game. However, I think the devs started going in one direction and ended up in another.

First, the chapters themselves weren't that long. You were supposed to find the explorers, but also to find out about the theme at hand (i.e. visitors from outer space in ancient times). The problem is that they barely touched on the subject, and that was one of the major flaws. When you were at a certain location, you searched for objects and clues, and just when it seemed that it would delve a little deeper on whether there were really visitors, the video from the professor back at the headquarters came in, and you were off on another location.It cuts down the excitement, and feels as if you have just been cheated.

As far as the bonuses, they look like they were made on the fly. The extra chapter just seemed an afterthought add-on, and the rest of the bonus content left a lot to be desired. There were no wallpapers, but the concept art that was included was hardly good quality. The music was somewhat appropriate, but nothing you may want to play on your own.

In sum, this would probably work better as a SE than a CE. Not enough content, and although some people complained about it, I thought that it couldn't possibly be that bad. Wrong. The game had potential, but the devs. failed to reach it.

loveday
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by loveday on Jul 30, 11 3:03 AM
The tral was a good nibble so I thought the game was worthwhile downloading even though its a CE and proved to be a really decent buy...the graphics were really good and the puzzles are worthwhile.

The only downer of the game was xtra play it was very short and mind boggling ...is that all you need to wake up the doctor???

But overall good time wasting fun...

lakelly
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by lakelly on Aug 1, 11 4:16 PM
That's it - I'm swearing off CE's until the next Mystery Case Files comes out. I agree with the other posters who said that the game quality took a noticeable turn about 2/3 of the way thru the game - I thought the final chapter (before the bonus game) was substantially easier and less well done that the rest of the chapter and really? That's all it takes to overcome the bad guy in the game? Three repeat the patterns? REALLY?

And the bonus chapter was a joke - slapped together and short short short. I'd give the first half of the game a solid A and the last half a C-. For $14, you'll have to really blow my socks off to get me to buy a CE again.

Snookie1100
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Snookie1100 on Aug 2, 11 10:50 AM
I am definetly in the minority here, but this game just did nothing for me. That being said, I did enjoy the intro of seemingly flying through the galaxy.........very well done. I like adventure games as far as running to and fro.............but geeeeeeeeeez, going from bow to stern of that boat just about drove me crazy! I made it off the boat, to the temple and the firepit, and had enough. Enough already with giving someone a piece of paper just so they can talk to you, instead of their gobbly-****.
For those of you (and there are many) who did like this and purchased, please enjoy. Guess it's just not my . However in all fairness, I will give it another try when the SE comes out and see if anything changes my mind.
Off to play.............happy gaming all.

gpj53
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by gpj53 on Aug 6, 11 5:38 AM
I bought this after reading early reviews which seemed quite positive and after getting my head around it being more Adventure than HOG with adventure thrown in, I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more. Very hard to do after playing Sacra Terra which I absolutely loved. My main gripe is when I get to the puzzles there doesn't seem to be an explanation as to what to do and hitting help button doesn't help at all. Maybe I just haven't found the right one though I think I've tried them all. In the end I had to resort to SG to find out - that beetle thing had me stumped. The other thing that drives me nuts is the Inventory and lifting things out that can't be used then having to put it back into Inventory to continue on. The click penalty hasn't bothered me much but I do agree it's not needed - let us click away madly if we so wish please developers. Not one of the best games I've bought but not the worst either.

Menesa
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by Menesa on Aug 18, 11 12:34 AM
Have just completed the game and bonus chapter.
The game has an alien conspiresy storyline and defined characters with great, clear graphics, no blackouts between scenes while the game loads... this is a pet hate of mine
I had no tech probs (rare occ these day lol) and the download was pretty snappy
Unsolved Mystery Club: Ancient Astronauts Collectors Edition is worth the CE price, especially if you are not so experienced or have probs seeing junk pile object in the **** scenes.
BTW I found the hint virtually useless unless required in a **** scene.
The puzzles are mostly variations of themes we come across again and again.
As for the hint's.... what the ???? Unless in a **** scene.
My rating for this game is a 6/10.
salaams from Oz

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Aug 21, 11 6:08 PM
Overall Impression: a fun game that's provides a nice break from the what's become the standard dark, paranormal experience

Media Description: The graphics were crisp, clear and did a good job evoking the various geographical areas they were supposed to represent. The voiceovers were well done, and the music felt like it belonged.

Storyline: This was probably the weakest area simply because it could have been fleshed out a bit better. What was there was coherent and made sense, though, so that was a big plus in its favor. It was developed mainly through cutscenes and voiceovers that could be skipped if you wanted. The ending felt a bit rushed and slightly out of nowhere (this is where more development earlier in the game would have helped) but not by much.

Gameplay: This is an iHOG/Adventure blend with a minimum amount of wandering back and forth. There were two modes of play - expert and casual. I played the casual one. In that one, active HOG scenes glowed and the hint and skip buttons supposedly refilled faster.

HOG Scenes: The HOG scenes were your typical junkpiles, but the crispness of the graphics helped keep the frustration to a minimum in most of them. There was a misclick penalty which caused you to lose control of the cursor for a bit, but it didn't last long.

Minigames/puzzles: The minigames/puzzles fit into the storyline pretty seamlessly. A few of them made you think a bit, but all could be skipped after awhile. (A bit too long of a wait on that for my taste, but at least you could eventually move on.)

Bonus Game: The bonus game was an additional chapter to the game, not a chopped off ending. It played exactly like the other chapters. Don't know if it would be considered long enough by most to warrant the extra cost of a CE, but the fact that it was actually a bonus chapter and not a what-should-have-been-the-ending-of-the-game chapter was a plus in my book.

Hints: The hints were unlimited but did take a bit of time to refill - not an excessive amount of time, but it wasn't automatic by any means.

Will Probably Appeal to: people who enjoy iHOG/Adventure blends and alien lore

Will Probably Not Appeal to: people who prefer straight HOGs

[Post New]by denyce2301 on Aug 22, 11 6:04 PM
Of all the CE that I have bought this is the only one that I wished I waited on. In the beginning I enjoyed the game but at the end a was very happy it was over.

Go to: