Reviews for Art Mogul

Re:Reviews for Art Mogul

[Post New]by rebeccartist on Aug 12, 11 9:41 AM
I like that BFG is offering different types of games, personally. I see a lot of reviews here that talk about how it's a lousy HOG game. It's not a HOG game.

I liked it. I'm an artist and an art buff etc. etc., so perhaps that's why ;-). I wouldn't sit and play it for a few hours, but as a diversion for an hour at a time, you bet. I enjoyed all aspects of it - particularly the spot-the-diff games. I also liked trying to find things for a particular auction house to sell. That was fun for me, but I tend to see details easily, so often I'd remember where I'd seen the painting in the first place.

I think it's a fairly well-designed game for what it is. Enough complexity to keep it interesting, and yet at its core a simple concept. And I get to buy and sell art. Yea! Me, with almost no actual $ to speak of ;-). Nice fantasy job.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 14, 11 2:20 AM
I didn`t want to buy the game when it first came out, because I didn`t see anywhere where I could change my profile. It only showed my computer name.

Now that I do get a selection of profiles, I will buy it. I own the chocolatier and the winemaker games, and enjoyed them both.

This game is different, and I am glad for it. I like finding the "hidden objects" in the various paintings. I like spotting the difference - although I do prefer it when I see two images side by side. And I like being able to get hold of and selling paintings in different places, and what it involves.

For those of us who enjoy this kind of game, it has lots to offer.

ETA: Someone mentioned that when you delete your profile, and add the same name, the same game will come up. That is true. And since you can add "only" four different profiles, it can get cramped, if you want to start new several times.

In order to get rid of the profiles and the saved games properly, you have to do the following:

Go to: Username - AppData - Roaming. (Make sure in the "Folder Options" you have "Show hidden filees, folders, and drives" ticked.)

When you are in the "Roaming" folder, find the folder called "Funzai!", which is the folder in which "Art Mogul" is kept. Delete either the "Funzai!" or the "Art Mogul" folder, and your game will start from scratch, as if you have just installed it, with all saved games gone.

Edited on 08/17/2011 at 7:03:23 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 16, 11 1:52 PM
I`ve been playing this game now for quite a while, and I am so hooked. There are so many different things to do, and different ways to buy and sell. This is a really fun game. Once I am in the game, I simply can`t stop. This game is even better, because it has more to offer, than "Chocolatier" or "Winemaker".

ETA: For those gamers who are still on the fence with this game, I have made a more comprehensive review. And for those who didn`t seem to know, the first 10 minutes or so are the tutorial.

If you like games like "Chocolatier" and "Winemaker Extraordinaire", then this is the game for you. I like this one even more than the other 2 I mentioned, because there is so much more to do.

This game has lots to offer. You can buy and sell paintings at galleries or even at a cafe, where you can buy fake paintings and give them away for extra stars or spot 3 differences to see if it`s an original. If it`s a fake, you can leave again or buy the painting for a reduced price. But if there is no difference between the 2 images, you can buy it for the full price, and sell it again for more than double.

When you want to buy or sell a painting, you play a kind of H0 scene. You have various images in your list at the bottom, and have to find those objects in the paintings that are offered for sale. So you don`t just get one place to look for items, but several, depending on how many paintings are on offer at that time in a given gallery.

Then there are auction houses, where you can bid for a painting, or can get a contract to find a painting, which has a certain image in it. If you find and buy it, and bring it back to the auction house, you get the previously arranged price for it.

There is also a bank, where you can get a loan from if you don`t have the ready cash at the moment.

You can also buy your own gallery. To begin with, there are 3 cities unlocked, and several others still locked. Once you buy your first gallery, another city is unlocked. To be able to buy your next gallery, you have to first fill the first one with paintings that have a particular image in them - the images are shown in the notebook.

So, all in all, this is an all-round fun and entertaining game. Once I started to play, I got so addicted to it, I had to force myself to stop. This is not just a "filler" for an hour or so, but a great game that gives you oodles of joy (just look at those fab paintings), and many hours of play.

Edited on 08/17/2011 at 9:38:04 AM PST

[Post New]by faith5009 on Aug 18, 11 8:30 AM
lilTweet7 wrote:I love this game. Did not even play into the demo five minutes before deciding to purchase! I love historical art, so right off the bat, it was a buy. The graphics are gorgeous, and the game play thus far seems interesting enough, but story or no story, for me, just give me the art!

Addendum August 3, 2011

After purchasing and playing this game for a little while, I can only say, that I'm still enjoying it very much. It is unlike a previous art game offered on this site (? I forget the name of it) awhile back, which I really hated.

In this game (Art Mogul), as someone mentioned elsewhere, it is very similar to Chocolatier games, which I also love. No it is not fast paced action, but instead all about wheelings and dealings, to earn more money in your business, and I have to admit, that purchasing and trying to sell the counterfeits is perhaps not ethical, but fun! It is a great alternative way to making some extra money, and see what you can get away with. Try selling them at any gallery, and you will be denied.

I must say too, that I usually hate spot the differences in games, but for this one, it is quite fun... perhaps because there is a real purpose to it, as in getting more money for the art you sell, or paying less for art you purchase. None of the objects are difficult to find, but may take a few minutes to spot. I think the scroll feature back and forth is nicer then the usually side by side, because it helps in seeing the color or movement change in the scenes to spot the differences easier. Anyone who tries the game out, will understand what I'm saying here.

In this game, you travel around the world buying and selling art at galleries, cafe's, and in auctions. It will be fun to see just how much money I can make or not in the business of art.

So far I have not experienced any technical glitches in the game, and the music is nice and intermittent. It usually plays between location scenes, but when you are working... finding hidden objects or STD's, then the music is minimal if none at all. You can also turn it off. Also, when you begin the game, there is a slight learning curve, but once you get going, it becomes easy to understand. There is a slight tutorial, but not really needed. Basically, it is just traveling around to buy & sell art for the most profit.

There is definitely replayability factor here in this game as well, which is always a plus when you spend your real hard earned

[Post New]by faith5009 on Aug 18, 11 8:41 AM
This game is terrific and I had no glitches playing it in Windows 7. Artwork is supreme, game is easy to navigate and it's fun to bid for purchases, find special items, zoom around the world looking for art treasures, and to reach the point where your can purchase two of the museums and stock them with themed artwork. It's clear that much creative thought and execution went into the development of this great game.

I know how maddening it is to have tech glitches in downloads and I hope players get any problems resolved--And give it another chance if you're interested in familiarizing yourself with timeless art classics.

I rate this entertaining game A+ and award the developers !

Edited on 09/15/2011 at 6:57:33 PM PST

KitSeason
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by KitSeason on Aug 22, 11 8:59 PM
I'm on the fence with this one. I like it for all the reasons that other people like it. Still, there are a bunch of mystery HOGS I'm thinking I'd like to get. Dilemma. But this is a nice break from those mystery games, so probably, maybe with a credit.

Alrydian
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Alrydian on Aug 24, 11 2:26 AM
Browneyegirl99 wrote:I realize that plenty of people like HOG games. However, when it is an HOG game, it should be labeled as such. I, however, avoid them like the plague. C'mon, Bigfish, let's label the games accurately. Or at least give a two-game description - strategy/hidden object.

I quite agree, everytime I see a game that looks interesting and it's labeled Adventure or in this case Strategy, I think great and download it fast.
This game looked very much like my cup of tea until I started playing, and was very dissmayed to find out it was pretty much a HOG game, once again mislabelled.
Had I known it was very much a HOG game I would not have downloaded and started playing it, and not felt obliged to moan about it in this review.
So yes, please label the games better. And I'm very sorry for not liking looking for hidden objects.

unanymous
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by unanymous on Aug 27, 11 2:31 PM
Alrydian wrote:
Browneyegirl99 wrote:I realize that plenty of people like HOG games. However, when it is an HOG game, it should be labeled as such. I, however, avoid them like the plague. C'mon, Bigfish, let's label the games accurately. Or at least give a two-game description - strategy/hidden object.

I quite agree, everytime I see a game that looks interesting and it's labeled Adventure or in this case Strategy, I think great and download it fast.
This game looked very much like my cup of tea until I started playing, and was very dissmayed to find out it was pretty much a HOG game, once again mislabelled.
Had I known it was very much a HOG game I would not have downloaded and started playing it, and not felt obliged to moan about it in this review.
So yes, please label the games better. And I'm very sorry for not liking looking for hidden objects.

Airy,

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "different strokes for different folks" and you never need to apologize for your preferences. While I personally like HOGs, I also like variety in my gaming. While I have DL'd a lot of the daily offerings by BF (literally hundreds over the past year), sometimes I just want to play other genres than they are currently offering. I'd like to make a suggestion to you so that you can access more of the types of games you like. At the top of the page, click on the download tab for your particular system, then you can click on the genre tab for the type of game you want to play; that will take you to an alphabetical listing of alll of those types of games. I have downloaded many enjoyable plays from these lists--and you can also use your credits for them! I guess I just mean to say that you, the player, ultimately have the free choice from the smorgasboard of offerings that BF gives us and you can chose and play with no apologies. I wish you happy gaming for all of your preferred choices!

[Post New]by tiggershome on Aug 28, 11 2:33 AM
I LOVE this game!! I am not an art buff at all, but find the game compulsive. I've played it 5 times already! It can be a very long game and you don't have to stop when you have your three galleries. I don't usually like STD games but this is easy with the way the page flips back and forth making differences "move" or if its a colour difference it "flashes" slightly. I find bidding a bit hard as by the time I've clicked "bid" I don't always have enough time to click on the part of the picture I shown. Still, I win mostly It is interesting seeing these paintings and being able to study them, something I can't do as I am nearly housebound. It could do with a few more cities and maybe a few more options of collections for my own galleries. Still, I rate this game as my favourite and I have loads..............I like the fact that you can just visit galleries, or auctions, or cafes or any combination you like. if you buy a fake you can resell it in another cafe, or just bin it. So many options, such a good game and so little time to play!!!!

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Sep 19, 11 1:04 AM
I got this game because it reminded me of Chocolatier, which I really like. I usually post reviews only when I finish games completely, but I've finished the main game (completed the third gallery's collection) and have rubies for all of the badges except for Rogue.

I would consider this primarily a strategy game with some hidden object elements and some spot the difference scenes.

Pros:
- Lots of badges (referred to as awards or trophies in other games) to gain ranks in, which I enjoy. I think it's 10 different categories.
- Nice selection of paintings. I'm not an art connoisseur by any means, so most of the art was new to me.
- Loved the auction system. It was like playing a hidden object game competitively (against computer opponents) where you try to spot the object faster than the other bidders.
- I liked that they included shady dealings in the game, i.e. you can buy and sell forgeries, sometimes for a big profit.
- Request system and collections provide a reason to fly around the world, looking for that elusive painting and kept me playing just "one more turn" for quite a while.

Cons:
- It gets pretty repetitive, so if you don't enjoy the basic gameplay elements, this is probably not the game for you.
- Not much of an ending. Having played Chocolatier, I expected this, but all you get is essentially, "You win!" No ending story or congratulatory graphics or anything.
- Finding paintings for collections took a very long time. I was working on all of the badges so that kept me going, but if I'd just been focused on finding that next painting for the collection, I would have gotten discouraged.
- No way of discarding a painting (that I could see)! When you're in a city where you own a gallery, I think you can't "give away" fakes or sell originals, and if there no interested sellers in a cafe, then you can't clear space in your portfolio to make room for that painting you need for your collection that's going up for auction in that city and won't be around the next time you visit. Argh!

The Bottom Line:
An addictive strategy game with lots of badges to earn and a large collection of beautiful paintings (many by the masters: Monet, Gauguin, Van Gogh, etc.) and a fun auction system, as well as an enjoyable system for shady dealings.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Sep 21, 11 1:47 AM
This game IMO was ok if you like these types of games, buying and selling, but it was not for me. Not a buy for me.

Demiguise
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by Demiguise on Sep 28, 11 9:24 AM
I've been enjoying this game. It isn't fast-paced, but I like that. Sometimes it feels like you are going so fast to find everything/finish tasks that you don't really know what you just did. This lets you take your time (except the auctions, but that's a nice break, too).

I'm working on completing my collection, getting my badges, and opening up the remaining cities. I don't see this as a "race through it" type of game, so it'll likely take a while, but I also see plenty of opportunity for replay. Glad I got it.

LikaLaruku
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by LikaLaruku on Oct 1, 11 7:15 PM
I like it; it combines HOG with Sim.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Oct 10, 11 5:48 PM
I really enjoyed this game. It was difficult and it kept my attention. I don't know if I will buy it but I will consider it...P.S. My daughter liked it too

[Post New]by horsey69 on Oct 11, 11 11:20 PM
I think the game has the right idea. Changing cities is too slow. And the bank deposit genre is a joke. try to get your $ out. I put $ in the savings genre. Even though I didnt need to. My $ were held hostage.The music was terrible so I just turned it off. I ended up with all the galleries. liked the hidden object theme. Its nice to see something that is real as far as the art work. Hope they take it a step further .
Wouldnt it be fun to have to learn what a Monet is, vs a Serat? all both impressionists but different. It could be a great educational tool .

[Post New]by Tyger_74_NC on Feb 19, 13 4:38 PM
I really enjoy the game and hope there will be sequel. As someone who enjoys art, this game is a real find. Granted it's not high up on graphics or music, but being able to see a glimpse of the inner workings of the art world from outside the artists' perspective is quite interesting. I am not saying it's 100% realistic, but does give a view of the behind the scenes concerning the dealers, auctioneers, curators and scammers. I know this game has also renewed my interest in art as well.

[Post New]by USERSHIT on Apr 20, 13 11:42 PM

[i]In order to get rid of the profiles and the saved games properly, you have to do the following:

Go to: Username - AppData - Roaming. (Make sure in the "Folder Options" you have "Show hidden filees, folders, and drives" ticked.)

When you are in the "Roaming" folder, find the folder called "Funzai!", which is the folder in which "Art Mogul" is kept. Delete either the "Funzai!" or the "Art Mogul" folder, and your game will start from scratch, as if you have just installed it, with all saved games gone.
[/i]

CAN YOU BE A LITTLE MORE SPECIFIC? WHERE IS THE USERNAME LOCATED? AND CAN THIS PROCESS WORK IN WINDOWS 2007

Go to: