jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

Re:Reviews for Pioneer Lands

[Post New]by jawfish on Aug 10, 11 10:27 PM
GameStudent wrote:For those of you who liked Island Tribe and Royal Envoy, you'll probably like this one too. I just wish you could queue up the tasks by clicking on all the chores so that the worker then completes them one at a time. This one, you have to wait until the fellow returns back to the house before sending him out again. Not such an issue if you have purchased additional workers but annoying just the same.

A buy for me despite this.

If you've played the hit game My Kingdom for the Princess, also by Nevosoft, it works the same way. You can't queue tasks and have to wait for your worker to return to the main building before you can issue another task (that's why it's best to have more workers).

Liz_Lemon
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by Liz_Lemon on Aug 11, 11 5:38 AM
GameStudent wrote:For those of you who liked Island Tribe and Royal Envoy, you'll probably like this one too. I just wish you could queue up the tasks by clicking on all the chores so that the worker then completes them one at a time. This one, you have to wait until the fellow returns back to the house before sending him out again. Not such an issue if you have purchased additional workers but annoying just the same.

I'll agree with all the positive reviews, and the comment above, this feeds the TM need for sure, I loved Abigail, My Kingdom, Island Tribes 1 & 2 etc.
-- the only thing I don't like is the inability to cue up multiple tasks in a row, but that's not stopping my enjoyment.

Edited on 08/11/2011 at 5:40:00 AM PST

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Aug 11, 11 5:58 AM
This is a lovely game. Similar to MKFTP with the addition of buying/selling resources, building a farm and an extra challenge. The strategy is deeper than I originally thought. To win an award you need to fulfill the objectives of the challenge found at the ? before fulfilling the main goals of the level, otherwise you will win the level but not get the award! I've been caught out a few times and it tickles me!

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Aug 11, 11 6:53 AM

Yes, not being able to "chain" tasks is one reason that I can't stand MKFTP,but unlike that game so far in the Indian village I am still able to advance in the game even without getting gold,but you cannot advance in MKFTP if night falls and the dragon comes before you finish the tasks,so I hate it and wish I had never bought it.

However I am enjoying Pioneer Lands because I am able to continue with Silver.

Edited on 08/11/2011 at 6:54:07 AM PST

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Aug 11, 11 9:03 AM
I more than a little uncomfortable with this game and its Native American stereotyping. Would we tolerate a game about African Americans and life on a plantation? There is still a lot of prejudice floating around out there and I'm ashamed that so many people don't get it!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Aug 11, 11 9:03 AM
I more than a little uncomfortable with this game and its Native American stereotyping. Would we tolerate a game about African Americans and life on a plantation? There is still a lot of prejudice floating around out there and I'm ashamed that so many people don't get it!

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Aug 11, 11 12:27 PM
I really enjoyed this game. It was fun and kept my interest up. Will put this game on my wish list

silentpages
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by silentpages on Aug 11, 11 5:32 PM
dollyflower wrote: I more than a little uncomfortable with this game and its Native American stereotyping. Would we tolerate a game about African Americans and life on a plantation? There is still a lot of prejudice floating around out there and I'm ashamed that so many people don't get it!

Oh my gosh! What is racist about an indian chief in traditional garb? There was no outcry when Royal Envoy came out & all the pirates looked like stereotypical pirates!! Atleast, I THINK it would have hit the news if pirates came & attacked playrix!

I have to ask if all the people who complain about this have tried the game. FYI not all settlers were murderers. In this game, if you want the trophies you get them by doing what the chief says to do or not to do.

When I was single, 22 & skinny I went out with my best friend since 4th grade for halloween. We dressed sexy as a pioneer & an indian. She's Cherokee & I'm white. She wore the pioneer costume.

Please people, if you feel there is a problem in this world that you must attack (many to choose from), get off your chair, do something! Don't just complain about a cartoon character in a GAME!

EXAMPLE: I do volunteer work in a bad part of town. My car was broken into so many times that my insurance agent sold me his daughter's old car for cheap, so I wouldn't have a nice car there & have to keep filing reports! What do you do?

edited to add....

If you physically can't get out of your chair, there are still things you can do!

Edited on 08/11/2011 at 6:03:22 PM PST

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Aug 11, 11 5:54 PM
AS WRITTEN BELOW...could not have stated it any better...its two ...i am not stuck in game play but the game has me stuck on playing...never been fan of strategy or TM...but this is most 'above addiction'...yes! i was up till 4 a.m. saying to self 'just one more level, o.k..come on u can do it!'...my eyes were getting blurry and teary , my bum was asleep ...and as said...CARRY ON! so i rate it a +

THX...dev's and bfg

so much more fun then aslyms, dead body, evil beings, cemetary, crazed people...but ghosts and aliens i can take...o.k. just 'ranting'!

SO WTG...EMBER...GREAT REVIEW....

ember89 wrote:i had no idea just how addictive this game was going to be!
after playing a little while, i found myself chuckling at various things in the game and really getting into the strategy aspect... there are so many different challenges that come up in each level and, like MKFTP, there are as many obstacles as there are freebies... and some of those you can't touch if you heed the chief's directives
as far as the 'racial profiling' goes... as soon as i saw the 'pioneer,' i thought pennsylvania dutch... and recalled that in the beginning, pioneers relied heavily on the native populations to get up and running, often living together in settlements, working together, intermarrying... and i think this game kinda captures that spirit... the white man asking the chief: am i doing this right? and then negotiating with members of other tribes... reminds me of that bit in 'last of the mohicans' where madeline stowe says: they're hacking it out in the wilderness with their own two hands and bearing their children along the way...
it's with that spirit that i play the game and i'm finding it fun and exciting and challenging and worth every penny!
besides.. i got myself a "sturdy hoe"

silentpages
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by silentpages on Aug 11, 11 6:11 PM
yes, ember wrote a super good review for this very fun, addicting game!

[Post New]by SweEt_DreA on Aug 12, 11 7:59 PM
Taltam1 wrote:[removed by moderator] so noted. What's even more interesting are the reasons for claimed non-offense: partial, total, or wishful Native American lineage, etc...the irony is staggering. I remain unashamed and unapologetic about bringing up the issue because it matters in the grand scheme of messaging [removed by moderator]

Another thing: advocates of this game say that the winner has to "honor" the Chief's wishes.... [removed by moderator]

And a personal note: TM is my FAVORITE kind of game and for others who share my affinity for TM games know the DROUGHT of TM games so when one comes along, I definitely check it out. But I couldn't get past the opening graphic with the scowl, pipe/toothpick, and headdress of the character.

Maybe game choices really do reflect prejudices (as opposed to preferences)..... Hmmmm....

[removed by moderator]

Edited on 08/20/2011 at 10:01:47 AM PST

miazuldecielo
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by miazuldecielo on Aug 12, 11 8:24 PM
What a nice game.

A must for any serious TM fan.

Thx BFG.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 13, 11 4:17 AM
snipped

Taltam1 wrote:
[removed by moderator] so noted. What's even more interesting are the reasons for claimed non-offense: partial, total, or wishful Native American lineage, etc...the irony is staggering. I remain unashamed and unapologetic about bringing up the issue because it matters in the grand scheme of messaging [removed by moderator]

if by in this country you mean the US , then one thing to remember is most devs are not here, russia, ukraine, etc, i dont understand what is racist about a chief being dressed as one, and when europeons 1st settled, which this game suggests, the natives were helpful, as the chief is in this game,

Edited on 08/20/2011 at 10:03:42 AM PST

[Post New]by gamerforever on Aug 13, 11 5:47 AM
I think BFG has reformed themselves for finally offering a great TM game that actually requires you to think and not just mindlessly click here and there. This game is awesome. Well spent game credit.

If you like TM/strategy games, you'll love this. My only suggestion is that this game should have been listed under time management and not strategy where I just happened upon it. Based on the previous posts, some of the strategy games are TM games so I need to start checking out the games under this topic from now on.

Way to go BFG. Keep up the fantastic work.

TEGX2
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by TEGX2 on Aug 13, 11 10:45 AM
Really tired of all the hidden object games,so this one is a plus. It is kind of difficult but replaying usualy gets me through. I give this game a 4 star.

Edited on 08/13/2011 at 10:47:24 AM PST

mrspeel99
Minnow
Minnow
260 Posts

[Post New]by mrspeel99 on Aug 13, 11 10:50 AM
ditto for me on all positive reviews. Love this game. Developers are listening when we say we like looooooonnnnnnnggg game play. 99 levels!! wow!

[Post New]by Snuffytoo on Aug 13, 11 6:59 PM
I really like it, but I am finding it really HARD. The graphics are first rate, and the nature of the game is great, but MAN...I get rained on at every level!!

Taltam1
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Taltam1 on Aug 14, 11 4:24 PM
SweEt_DreA wrote:
Taltam1 wrote:[removed by moderator] so noted. What's even more interesting are the reasons for claimed non-offense: partial, total, or wishful Native American lineage, etc...the irony is staggering. I remain unashamed and unapologetic about bringing up the issue because it matters in the grand scheme of messaging [removed by moderator]

Another thing: advocates of this game say that the winner has to "honor" the Chief's wishes.... [removed by moderator]

And a personal note: TM is my FAVORITE kind of game and for others who share my affinity for TM games know the DROUGHT of TM games so when one comes along, I definitely check it out. But I couldn't get past the opening graphic with the scowl, pipe/toothpick, and headdress of the character.

Maybe game choices really do reflect prejudices (as opposed to preferences)..... Hmmmm....

[removed by moderator]

[removed by moderator]

Edited on 08/20/2011 at 10:04:56 AM PST

Taltam1
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Taltam1 on Aug 14, 11 4:27 PM
bella81762 wrote:snipped

Taltam1 wrote:
[removed by moderator] so noted. What's even more interesting are the reasons for claimed non-offense: partial, total, or wishful Native American lineage, etc...the irony is staggering. I remain unashamed and unapologetic about bringing up the issue because it matters in the grand scheme of messaging [removed by moderator]

if by in this country you mean the US , then one thing to remember is most devs are not here, russia, ukraine, etc, i dont understand what is racist about a chief being dressed as one, and when europeons 1st settled, which this game suggests, the natives were helpful, as the chief is in this game,

Thanks for the suggestion about the uninformed (or careless/carefree) perspectives of the developers of such games. That could very well be the case.

Edited on 08/20/2011 at 10:06:02 AM PST

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Aug 14, 11 8:38 PM
I absolutely love the My Kingdom for the Princess and the Roads of Rome games, but I was quite disappointed in this game. It is way too much like the frenzy and dash types of strategy / TM games to suit me. I've seen lots of reviews saying that if you like the earlier games mentioned you will love this one--but I didn't. Not complaining, just offering a note of caution to try before you buy

Go to: