Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 15, 11 4:33 AM
Dominick_Fontana wrote:@CasualGran:
Okay, there are no voice-overs and that's a bit of a pity. But then again, you can't always have it all, can you?

I'm with you on that one. I wish all the games had voice-overs. To me that makes the difference between a good game and a great game. Without voices, I feel like I'm playing in a vacuum just clicking on things. Voices add character to the game and make the characters come alive.

I also like music in the games. But people are different and I am surprised that so many people comment that they turn the music off. I can't really understand that, but as they say, different strokes for different folks.

There are no voice-over for the characters, but there is speech nevertheless. I think the devs just wanted to keep the MBs down enough for those gamers who don`t have newer or high-end computers with lots of space.
Voice-over to me is not everything. If it`s there, that`s fine, but if not, I don`t mind.

And about the music: I never listen to the music. The only game I turn the music on is "The Great Gatsby", because the type of music in this game, and because of the gameplay, the music doesn`t interupt.
However, with other HOGs, I rather not listen to the music. The background sounds and other sounds are what I want to listen to, not the music. So yes, different strokes...

Hey_j
Flounder
Flounder
2,098 Posts

[Post New]by Hey_j on Aug 15, 11 7:48 AM
The review at the link provided by akuma is excellent! I hope my copying a portion of it and posting it (for when the link is removed) will be allowed to remain as it gives us a very good idea of what to expect from this game:

[removed by moderator]

Are we allowed to quote things like this? I should have read the forum rules, first, admittedly! Gulp! I'm sorry mods if I am an offender in doing this!!!

eta: to correct spelling!

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 11:55:27 AM PST

Quickie
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Quickie on Aug 15, 11 8:29 AM
Definite buy as a CE for me. Terrific game! Thanks, BFG.

CirceMoon
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by CirceMoon on Aug 15, 11 8:42 AM
Can anyone comment on the amount of backtracking in the game? Excessive backtracking is always a deal breaker for me. For example, I know that people loved Mystery Trackers: Raincliff, but I hated it due to the insane amount of backtracking. I'd like to know about this before I waste time downloading and playing a trial. I really appreciate any replies. Thank you.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Aug 15, 11 9:46 AM
This morning I demo'd the new Redemtion Cemetery as well as this game. After playing for only 40 minutes I purchased Hidden Expedition. What a great game. I loved Devil's Triangle and feel the same vibe with this one. Have not had to use a hint or the SG so far, so that bodes well.

If you have been waiting for a game to immerse yourself in, I think this may be the one.

I will most likely end up purchasing Redemption Cemetery as well as it is also a good game, but this one really stood out and I was having a great time playing. Decided that playing without the pressure of the 60 minute Demo would make it even more fun.

**** scenes were great so far and the artwork is exceptional. Recommend this to all HOPA fans.

I give this out of 5. Will probably come back and add that last after playing further on. Thanks BF

Corrie

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 15, 11 10:08 AM
Thanks for the great game... really enjoyed playing.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Aug 15, 11 10:44 AM
Old_Man_River wrote:I must admit I have mixed emotions about this game. On one hand, the game is a winner except for the small (to my old eyes) items in the dim light. I would buy it, but BF has not put out a decent SE game since they started with the CE games. I have bought most (Actually I think all) of the CE games and enjoyed them. However, when a new SE game is released it is the modified CE games that I have already played. This leaves me with nothing to use my coupons on and nothing to play until the next CE game. If I buy it I continue the cycle, if I don't but it I have to wait weeks until I have a decent game to play. I may just have to bite the bullet and cease buying the CE games. After all, the only benefit is an extra chapter as I don't need the screensavers, music, sketches, etc.

Hey Old-Man, My delema EXACTLY! I couldn't have expressed it better! And to add to it...when I buy the CEs, I get lots of punch card codes that I CAN'T USE because there are no good SEs other than the ones from the CEs I bought to get the codes. What a cycle!! I may bite the bullet as well. Cyn

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Aug 15, 11 10:45 AM
Thanks BF for all the fun!!! Great game, graphics & scenery. I enjoyed it from beginning to end (including the Bonus Game). Looks like there will definitely be a sequel in the months/years to come and I will look forward to that.
Have to admit to using the SG on quite a few occasions just so I didn't miss something I would need or to knowing where to go next but found it very informative and the explicit instructions allowed me to continue forward. The fact that I had to click on the Menu to access it was very easy and it kept track of where I last viewed -- that's a great thing!!! I can't comment on the music since I play with the sound off all the time

Keep up the good work and thanks again for a game that kept me busy for mega hours -- obviously I'm a slow player !!!

Must admit I, too, am guilty of purchasing too many CE's but what I do is trial them and if I think I can wait for the SE just keep track of the names & wait to use punch coupons on them when the SE's come out. For example this month I used PC's on "Timeless: The Forgotten Town", "Paranormal Crime Investigations" and one on a great SE called: "Written Legends" so that took care of my codes from the last couple of months. Know this won't work for everyone but this is my thinking and how I try to manage my PC's. I have a large stock of unplayed games in the meantime to keep me busy!!

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 11:06:38 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 15, 11 11:24 AM
I have been playing the game for several hours now, and am enjoying it hugely - still have some way to go.

I love those puzzles - they are unique and fun fun fun!

The gameplay is first class, and although the objects in the H0 scenes are sometimes rediculously small and/or melting into the background, it`s still fun looking for them (needed my magnifying glass sometimes though).

I also love that you can be in a H0 scene, but sometimes can move on to another scene from there, and then come back to finish it of.

I love this game even more than the "Devil`s Triangle", which was also a great game. But this one is even better - for me at least.

Really really enjoying this game.

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Aug 15, 11 11:37 AM
I have played and enjoyed all the HE games, especially the last couple. I really like the several "levels" and having to use inventory items in the H0 scenes. I did have some technical problems at first (game locked up completely one time). By the time I uninstalled and reinstalled I only had 15 minutes of demo left.

I REALLY need to have an idea about length of game before I buy. CE's with limited strategy guides - or none at all, as in this case - make it very difficult to make a decision. I have been skipping CE's lately because the bonus play in the ones I own hasn't really justified the extra cost (I don't care about artwork and screensavers). So if anyone can comment on length of game and bonus play I would really appreciate it.

This game also does something that I find very annoying at best - it opens the BFG page for the game when you quit. Since I was having trouble with the game I exited and restarted several times, so I ended up with the same page open 4 times! There is a perfectly good "BUY" button in the game manager - this time-consuming opening of the page is entirely unnecessary! We don't need to go to that page unless we want to download the game, right? And since we've just been playing the game, obvoiusly we don't need to download it!

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Aug 15, 11 12:50 PM
Chapters 1 & 2 are great. Lots of decent mini-games, many tricky inventory item puzzles, a nice smattering of H0 scenes - including a sequential H0 (use found items to find more items until the scene is empty) which I love.

And then I got to chapter 3 - which is 90% H0. There is some variety, a scrolling page, a new take on the "use your flashlight" idea which is terrific but wall-to-wall H0. The inventory puzzles and mini-games are noticeably less. I got so bored that I couldn't finish the game.

Also: Sparkles on hard mode? Whose idea was that?

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 12:50:36 PM PST

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Aug 15, 11 1:47 PM
Hi everyone

Overall, this is a fun game with many positive attributes-the best being the cool variety of puzzles and HOG puzzles with depth layers, which I loved. Some of the puzzles are really different from what we usually see. The graphics and cut scenes are really well done, the music is nice and the regular HOG scenes are adequate ( not especially inventive and some items are very hard to find.) I enjoyed the overall themes and story of the game as well as the characters ( Undertow especially). There is also humor and surprises, all of which made me smile and happy to be playing this game. I felt that the CE price was justified, although the game is not especially long. I played in hard mode and finished in about 3 1/2 hours, not including bonus, and the game is a joy to puzzle through until chapter 3 which is mostly just HOG scenes, which is a shame. Chapters 1 and 2 are brilliant, and have elements to them which really raise the bar for others developing these types of games.

I had alot of fun playing and I think many other people will too, definitely a nice distraction for a boring rainy afternoon.

My grade system:

Gameplay: B+
Puzzles: A+
Music: B
Graphics: A
HOG scenes: B ( some items are very hard to find)
Mode of Gameplay( Hard Mode?):C (sparkles in hard mode? why!)
Game issues: none for me

My Overall Grade- B+

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 15, 11 2:36 PM
The following is strictly my opinion.

I really enjoyed playing this game BUT.....
I have purchased all of the CE Games and enjoyed most of them. I don't use the screensavers, music, concept art, etc. One extra chapter/scene, and a seldom used strategy guide do not a double price make, especially since you cannot use your coupons. I will have to wait for the SE versions to come out from now on.
As I said strictly my opinion and I just throwing it out there for whatever it is worth.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Aug 15, 11 3:17 PM
i agree with staciepie27 for everything:the underwater chapter is boring,and not at the same level than the two first!all in all good hidden object game,but no equal in quality all along,and story not clear! the game before was better for me,even with innovations in the game play
i was unable to be in the game ,and it made me irritated at last!
not the best for me

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Aug 15, 11 3:57 PM
I gave a review earlier when I was halfway through the normal game. I agree with TimeKilla, staciepie27 that the game isn't as good in 2nd half. They have already gone into the reasons so I won't repeat.

IMO, the best is chapter 1 and is also the longest. Then each chapter becomes slightly shorter.

I think it's best to wait for the SE. The bonus game is quite boring and doesn't add to the story. It has 3 "tracing puzzle" (can't go into details without spoiling), it was really tedious and hard, it seems they were put there simply to increase game time.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Aug 15, 11 4:10 PM
Graphics are nice, however I would NEVER ever buy this, so childish - for kids. Not for me. No challenge.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Aug 15, 11 4:54 PM
This is the best of the HE series yet! Great graphics, and sound.
A few of the puzzles drove me nuts and I skipped them, but they were inventive and good quality for the most part.
Thanks BFG!!

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Aug 15, 11 5:08 PM
Excellent game...A buy for me!!

Kathyju77
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyju77 on Aug 15, 11 5:45 PM
Thanks BF! I totally enjoyed this game

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 15, 11 8:30 PM
This game is awesome. It is very innovative in terms of puzzles & HOGs (and I agree - they are not easy!) Finally something new and not some redux of the same old puzzles . The artwork is beyond amazing - definitely another winner by Big Fish Studios... their talent never ceases to amaze me. This H.E. game is much better than the last one. Absolutely worth the CE price and then some...!!!!

Edit: My one criticism is the soundtrack - the music became very boring and repetitive. I didn't like turning it off - the music in games helps with the immersion experience - but I caved and couldn't take it any longer. How I wish it was as beautiful as Drawn...

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 10:04:31 PM PST

Go to: