Final Review: Great game and not short at all

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 23, 11 1:39 AM
Following up on my initial reactions from a prior post, I have now finished the game. Everything I said in my initial comments still holds. This was a great game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. For the record, I don't really like HOG scenes, but for me they are a necessary evil in most of the Adventure games here. Spirit Soup was not a typical HOG game; it was an Adventure game. I think there were 3 lists of things you had to find, but they were not presented in typical HOG fashion. That's one of the reasons I liked the game so much. If you like tons of HOG scenes, then you might not like the game as much as I did.

The bottom line is I thought the game was fantatstic and I give it 2 thumbs up. Highly recommended.

However, I noticed a number of posts where people said the game was too short and not worth the money. I beg to differ. I didn't time it, but I think I played it for close to 5 hours and I enjoyed every minute of it. Second, the games here are dirt cheap. I don't understand the comments about not worth the money. If the game is buggy and you can't finish it; then that's one thing. But that was not the case here. There were no glitches in the game.

Anyway, now is a good time for me to post the Fontana Theory. Instead of posting it here, I will post it in the Chit-Chat Corner.

Edited on 08/23/2011 at 1:41:58 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Reviews for Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 23, 11 3:10 AM
The game is giving me SPARKLES on the "untie the knot" puzzle. OMG, that irritates me to no end. Is there any way to turn the stupid sparkles off?? Please PM me if you know of a way!! Thanks.

elizacron
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by elizacron on Aug 23, 11 9:03 AM
I am about 2/3 through the game and I would rate it average. But with so few half-decent titles we are allowed to use (i.e. non-CE titles that are good games)our hard earned PCCs on, I bought it.

I like the story of the game, the characters are nice and the humor sprinkled throughout is nice. The music is a bit repetitive for me. I am an old-school adventure gamer (think Myst, Longest Journey, etc) so I am not one to turn music off or to watch TV, do other things while I play. I like the full, immersive game experience. So I appreciate a nice soundtrack. Nothing awful here, just a bit repetitive.

I love the fact this is a straight up adventure title (thank you BF!!!) with only a HOG or two thrown is as mini games/puzzles. I like the fact that I have to do a bit of legwork to figure out what to do next. Although I was disappointed there was no option for different difficulty modes (Note to ALL casual game developers - please do not release a HOG, IHOG, FROG, HOPA without providing the users a choice of difficulty. It goes a long way to please a wide base of gamers).

I think my biggest complaint was the graphics. Yes, everything was clear and neat, however I thought this game looked like something from 1998. The graphics were not very polished and so far on the simple side it took away from the game experience for me. I do not need fancy, elaborate graphics on all my games, but I do expect "new" releases to look like they were in fact developed in the last decade

So I would give it three out of 5 stars. A good buy if you get it with a PCC or save it for a COTW or DD.

bigfisherz
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

Re:Review for Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse

[Post New]by bigfisherz on Aug 23, 11 12:04 PM
wendyherzik wrote:where do i get the coins???

From the Shop. You work for him and he pays you.

[Post New]by rebeccartist on Aug 23, 11 2:51 PM
I, too, am a long time pure Adventure Game player. I bought this based on the first few reviews from other AGers, was in the mood for something light and fun, and this game definitely delivered. Yes, it was not a super-long game, but for me the value of the game was in the game itself. It was not the most difficult AG I've ever played by a long shot, but it was fun. A lot of fun. The puzzles were unusual, and harder than the norm at BFG (one of my main disappointments w/games here is the easy peasy puzzles), and most importantly, they were FUN. Have I said the game was fun?

Yes, it would have been nice if the graphics were a little more complex, but I honestly didn't care. The game had a certain self-identified charm to it that I enjoyed. A simple, straightforward game with some really good puzzles in it. Well worth $7 for 4-5 hours of fun, some brain exercises, and a few chuckles to boot.

I played a few of the bonus puzzles this morning, and one was harder than its in-game version. All good in my book. Thank you BFG for a very enjoyable offering! More please?

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Aug 23, 11 3:22 PM
I just finished this and absolutely loved it. I'm sure it took me 4 to 5 hours as well. I thought the puzzles were very challenging and stimulating. As I get older my reasoning process has slowed down a bit and I love a good mental challenge. I can't imagine anyone finding this game too short or not worth the money. It makes me feel that no matter what some people can't be pleased.

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Aug 23, 11 3:50 PM
I really enjoyed this game-about 5 hours for me. The old school graphics were great and it is nice to have a game that is really AG and not primarily HOG. Worth the credit.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 23, 11 11:14 PM
From the title, I thought this game was going to be a definite "no" for me. I demoed it to be fair and was pleasantly surprised. Yes, there is the same old "the curse is here and our hero is the only one to save everyone from it" storyline. However, the "hero", which is played by you, is really funny and not necessarily heroic.

Since there is no walkthrough, I can't tell how long the game is or really how far into it I got. Still, I was disappointed when it ended so I will definitely be purchasing it. Everything about the game was good from the graphics to the minigames. Definitely worth the download to trial it to see for yourself.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Aug 24, 11 9:10 AM
Highly entertaining - also reminds me of the Fool, which I bought. Quite like the cartoon style graphics, makes a pleasant change from all the doom and gloom asylum type stuff. Some puzzles are different too. had a smile on my face most of the time during demo. Will definitely go on my to buy list.

madstitcher54
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by madstitcher54 on Aug 24, 11 4:13 PM
Wish I hadn't wasted a credit on this game. I think it is a mess.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 26, 11 8:44 PM
Graphics poor; thanks to another player we got help. Poor game,

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 26, 11 9:20 PM
This game was a surprise to me. As soon as I saw the graphics I had serious misgivings about continuing. But I was soon so involved in this storyline, and had such fun finding everything I had to find, I realized hey, I like this game!! So I bought it and had great fun. Also, the dialogue was entertaining.

Thanks for a very refreshing and fun game!

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Aug 29, 11 12:34 AM
Finally! I beta tested it, so glad it finally arrived! Now I'll have to see if I saved my notes and if they changed anything. I LOVE adventure games like this one.

[Post New]by vickikathleen on Aug 29, 11 12:59 PM
Good enjoyable game and puzzles....the trial time makes you buy it but not worth spending money on because it is wayyyyyyyyy too short. I finished this game in less than 6 hours of play!!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Aug 29, 11 4:11 PM
Oh my gosh, an actual Adventure game! Hip-Hip-Hooray!!! I am sooooo grateful to have a chance to find my around, figure things out, solve puzzles and unlock secrets! This feels like it’s my birthday!

My poor old eyes are so happy not to have to squint through hidden objects scenes, that my eyes are full of tears of joy, rather than the usual tears of eyes strain! What joy, what fun, what a relief from the tedium of game after game of Hidden Object games and Hidden Fragment Games and Interactive Hidden object games.

Now, if only the graphics and story-line for “Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse" were a bit more detailed and sophisticated, it really would be my birthday! Sill, a Big Thanks to Big Fish for this offering!

Edited on 08/29/2011 at 4:14:00 PM PST

chickenjools
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Review for Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse

[Post New]by chickenjools on Sep 1, 11 3:02 AM
bigfisherz wrote:
wendyherzik wrote:where do i get the coins???

From the Shop. You work for him and he pays you.

This is not the place for this post. This is for reviews of the game not for 'help' particularly when it contains spoliers such as yours!

kpopluv
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by kpopluv on Sep 1, 11 9:05 AM
so far, i really like the game no unnecessary HOG scenes where only one item is needed so there is no penalty of any sort for clicking to see if the useless item is the item they want.

i love that the hint system tells you if you have to do something in that scene or not and just points out what you need to look at if you do. i am an adventure game lover and while this is not like the LFG us adventure games know and love, this is a very good substitute for the constant onslaught of HOG we keep seeing. i want to use my credits but can't 'cause i am not a fan of the HOG genre! i'm really starting to hate that genre because it's so many of them!

@moonladydi- not really in the sense of games. hidden object for games mean you have to click on the stupid sparkly stuff that takes you to a scene to find a list of unnecessary items to find the one item you need. in this game, you do not have to do that.

Edited on 09/01/2011 at 9:06:12 AM PST

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Sep 2, 11 1:44 PM
This is a great game, funny humour, good graphics, good music and good gameplay. I have just bought it so I will enjoy playing it.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 2, 11 11:16 PM
game goes very fast and its a short one, but cute
nice graphics
good puzzles
easy in playing
enjoyable

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 3, 11 10:46 AM
vickikathleen wrote:Good enjoyable game and puzzles....the trial time makes you buy it but not worth spending money on because it is wayyyyyyyyy too short. I finished this game in less than 6 hours of play!!

My goodness, VickiKathleen--I must admit, I've never heard a disagreement with an SE game that lasted nearly 6 hours! This offering is a pretty classic Adventure, rather than a hidden-object game, and so it should last a decently long time. It's fun, artistic, and full of good humor. Maybe your idea of a worthwhile, long game is one of the 6- or-7-CD DOS throwbacks of the '90s! But then, those games were $30-$40, not $6.99 (or even less). Good Gaming, though!

Edited on 09/03/2011 at 10:47:26 AM PST

Go to: