mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sonya Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 22, 11 9:35 AM
I had high hopes for this game and its probably not as good as I thought it would be but I think it gets better as you go along. (I'm about half into it). It doesn't compare to twisted lands in my opinion ( I really liked that one) and there are too many hog scenes for my taste. But all in all though it has been a fun game so far. I haven't gotten bored yet so thats a good sign. LOL.

KATE60
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by KATE60 on Aug 22, 11 9:42 AM
Not bowled over by this game . As already reported by other fishies i found it a bit tedious too. Have seen a lot better recently. But i am more disappointed at nearly every game that has been released in the past few weeks has been a CE. I personnaly dont really think they are worth it but that is only my opinion. And i dont like paying double the price for just a few screensavers and a little bit extra play. Give us some plain SE games . Out of your top ten picks there are around six or seven CE's. My grump i9s over for the day hope i didnt offend anyone.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 22, 11 10:28 AM
I liked this game... finished in 4 1/2 hours. only problem was the scene to scene loading was a little slow.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 22, 11 10:29 AM
I liked this game... finished in 4 1/2 hours. only problem was the scene to scene loading was a little slow.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Aug 22, 11 12:25 PM
I liked the game. It was fun. It took my eyes awhile to adjust to the "water colored" hand drawn type graphics, but it didn't take long and then I found the graphics to be clear. There are many hog scenes and puzzles. Sometimes you have to put items together. It took me about 7 hours to play; I'm not a fast player....I like to take my time. The only thing I didn't like about the game, was the Stragegy Guide, not keeping your place. You always had to start from the Chapter's beginning.

I felt the Bonus Section finished the game. Without that, to me the game was left hanging.

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 12:28:20 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 22, 11 1:23 PM
Enjoyed the game and hints were helpful. Puzzles were ok and graphc's were crisp and clear. Voice overs were ok and music was good. Played the hour and it kept my interest. Had to use the hints a couple of times and that's one reason I would buy it as a CE.

[Post New]by vanderploeg on Aug 22, 11 1:28 PM
A fun game. It's not overly difficult, good hints. I will probably buy the SE.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Aug 22, 11 2:40 PM
WoW!! Look at all the negative reviews!! I Beta'd this game a while back and LOVED it... I was prepared to just buy it outright, but think I'll play the trial first after reading all this feedback...

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 22, 11 4:04 PM
Not a bad game. Usual story line. Nice graphics, music is annoying after awhile, game fairly easy. Didn't have a real problem finding ****'s, but some take a little thought as to where to go for it. Have to see how long this one is before purchasing. Will have to think about it a bit.

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Aug 22, 11 4:33 PM
Fun to play but again BF cut the demo time too soon. Game is probably too short to be a CE anyways. Will wait.

[Post New]by denyce2301 on Aug 22, 11 5:59 PM
No buy for me. I liked the game but not as a CE. Just was not enough game for me to pay that kind of price.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 22, 11 6:52 PM
I think this is a wonderful game! The artwork is beautiful and serene - nice change from so many of the dark & depressing games lately. I love pipes and sliders personally, and the trial flew by (a rarity for me). I highly recommend this game and think it is worth the CE price. A definite buy for me.

Edit: I must say, though, that I would have preferred full CE-standard animation during the cutscenes. It feels more immersive. I agree that the cartoonish cutscenes came across as a little cheap.

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 6:56:14 PM PST

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Aug 23, 11 3:47 AM
I almost jumped out of bed when I discovered a new CE. However, after reading posts etc...I agree with most fishes, I think I'll just wait for the SE and thanks for all of your input!
It really makes a difference you all

[Post New]by purplehatlady on Aug 23, 11 3:59 AM
CasualGran wrote:The graphics are clear. Yes. And IMO that's all the positive there is in this non-double-price-worthy H0 game.
The sort of Dream Chronicle style irritates me, as does the music.
The puzzles are too familiar and much too easy.
There are sparkles and you can't choose to play without them.
The H0 scenes are junkpiles to visit more than once, and only to find typical HOG stuff like horseshoes, gloves and tweezers. Too boring for words.
The story is stupid. Here we have some kind of fairy-looking family (yuk) and suddenly one of the two daughters is shot or kidnapped or whatever and you fly to the rescue, happily dashing to and fro on twinkle-plinkle-tweettweet sounds.

Oh great, there's a SG, but who needs it? You can do this game in your sleep.

It's tedious. Don't think I'll even buy the SE.

CasualGran

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
CasualGran, many thanks for your review. I rarely buy a game that you dont like,(big mistake on my part) but I am mostly guided by you. If you dont like it I am not going to buy simple a that. Please keep your reviews coming, they are punchy and to the point and I know from looking in the pond how many other fishies look forward to them.

My thanks once again purplehatlady

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Aug 23, 11 8:23 AM
This game has all the elements I like in a hidden object/adventure game. The graphics are beautiful and bright. The minigames are challenging to me. The music is nice and I can find all the help I need in the game using either the hint system or the strategy guide. I also like that the hidden object scenes have decent sized hidden objects instead of tiny pieces and there are many types of hidden object scenes.. The game will probably end up being a decent length for me assuming that the strategy guide does not show the whole game. If it does show the whole game, the game will be too short even though I take many breaks from hidden object games when I play them.

Although the game has many pros Sonya is very tedious to me. I was not too thrilled with the fact that Sonya uses the same running back and forth to the same places multiple times that MCF Dire Grove used to lengthen the game. This did not detract from Dire Grove too much because the player got somewhere new by doing this. In this game I felt as though I was going nowhere fast. In the whole hour I played I just got to doing things in the workshop and that was not far from the house.

I don't know what it is about this game that makes it so boring to me. It has everything I like in a game. Maybe it just has too much of it.

I will try this game again when the standard edition comes out. If I still feel the same way about it I will not buy but if I like it better then I will probably buy the collector's edition because the strategy guide is useful to me.

I give this game out of 5.

[Post New]by Pegazzula on Aug 23, 11 9:33 AM
In the castle; I took the skates and accidently went to the right and now I have a half of black screen in the game... I think its a geek; I have the strategy guide which says that I should have gone to the left with the skates; but the hint button too is telling me to go to the right in the basement part.. not getting it.. I don't think its supposed to be doing this.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 23, 11 10:47 AM
Good graphics and sound. Good game play. It will be a buy for me as soon as ir is released as an SE.Ive purchased almost all of the CE's and the only thing I seem to have accomplished is the lack of decent SE games being released. I cannot keep spending $100 per month on a fixed income. When good SE Games are released, I will part with my precious cash. Just to add insult to injury, we cannot use the coupons we collect to purchase these gamesw.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Aug 23, 11 3:15 PM
I bought the game and have been playing it for a couple of days. I do not like the puzzles, especially the key-moving one. The curser just will not stay on the key and I had to keep picking it up. The puzzle is not hard, only hanging on the keys is. I also did not like the comic-book scenes. I don't like still scenes with lots of reading dialog; just way too boring. It was fun to move around the game and going back to HOGs was not hard. There seems to be alot of clicking before your curser goes limp. Overall, a good game, some hard parts. I did use the hints a few times, but found myself saying; "boring" way too much. I don't think this should be a collector's edition. Seems BF if putting out alot of collector editions lately. I am probably going to move on if something doesn't change real soon. Sorry BF, but I know you can do better than this.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 23, 11 11:09 PM
Since there are already so many pages of reviews for this game, I will simply say I will be waiting for the SE version when it comes out. I thought the game was good, but nothing out of the ordinary. The plot is one that has been revisited many times over. The graphics are good and the minigames are okay. Enjoyable game, but I feel it is much more in line with a SE than a CE.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Aug 24, 11 2:25 PM
I know, I'm always bringing up the rear in these forums. LOL I'm sorry, but I just find this game boring. Guess I've become spoiled.

For those who do enjoy it, happy gaming!

Go to: