jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

Re:Reviews for Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost

[Post New]by jcsgame on Aug 28, 11 6:38 PM
The game on the whole was OK. I did not care for what happened when you found the 6th ghost. I found the ending to be lacking.

I also did not care for the "you failed" comment anytime an error was made on a mini game.

Would I replay this game again.....I doubt it.

Tuvana65
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Tuvana65 on Aug 29, 11 12:00 PM
Loved the game! I like the graphics, the puzzles aren't too hard, the story is ok, hey, there's a dog, gotta be ok!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Aug 29, 11 2:04 PM
wow what a game, I loved everything this game graphics and sounds are awesome..
I want to give the DEV' a shout out..also BF thx.. Sending you much love for making the one's that like this game..

beryltheperil
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by beryltheperil on Aug 30, 11 8:47 AM
I keep thinking I ought to like it, but there is just something I can;t put my finger on, have had to keep referring to guide, something which I don;t often do, still am on second ghost so maybe It'll grow on me.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 30, 11 1:49 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Ugh. I'm not even going to bother with a full review of this one. Graphics that seem to be throwbacks to 2005, puzzles that were unique when Clinton was in office, yet another ridiculous title (age of enigma--when a person has had so many plastic surgeries that you can't tell how old they are) and a main character that has an expression of constant surprise (or has already started on the aforementioned plastic surgery, aka The Eyes of Botox) made me yawn rather quickly. Come on, developers, this is getting ridiculous.

Also, and I only do this as a public service, but this game contains rather a lot of occult references that may offend certain sensitive types. Ye hath been warned.

Oh, well, now I have more time to play Dragon Age 2. Enjoy (or not)!

You made me smile again, darkdisciple and you're right on most points (made bold by me). But... I still quite liked this game. It was better than most SE's presented here lately and some of the minigames were fun to do, although they took some patience. Anyway, I didn't regret my purchase. I needed a punchcardfiller and this one did pretty well.

You make my curious about the game you're playing. Maybe I'll take a look.

CasualGran

Edited on 08/30/2011 at 1:54:31 PM PST

[Post New]by VessaMorana on Aug 31, 11 9:06 PM
CasualGran wrote:You made me smile again, darkdisciple and you're right on most points (made bold by me). But... I still quite liked this game. It was better than most SE's presented here lately and some of the minigames were fun to do, although they took some patience. Anyway, I didn't regret my purchase. I needed a punchcardfiller and this one did pretty well.

You make my curious about the game you're playing. Maybe I'll take a look.

CasualGran

Same with me. I'm getting this to fill a punch card because I enjoyed the demo even if the game is a little ridiculous.

Just so you know, Dragon Age 2 (assuming they're talking about the Bio Ware rpg that I know) is a massive RPG. Absolutely amazing game but very very different than the games offered on bigfish. You should check out Dragon Age and Dragon Age: Origins first. They'll keep you occupied for months (or even years if you play as slowly as I do. )

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 9:12:52 PM PST

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Sep 2, 11 1:40 PM
This is a good game, nice graphics, nice music, and good gameplay. You have to free souls in the game. A buy for me I think!!

Sandyinuk
Manatee
Manatee
3,577 Posts

[Post New]by Sandyinuk on Sep 3, 11 7:52 AM
too short, just finished the game,the end bit was not good,would not pay full price for this,only took me a short time to play so very diasppointed

[Post New]by suzieque117 on Sep 3, 11 4:38 PM
I enjoyed this game and managed not to skip any of the puzzles even though at times I really wanted to as I got very frustrated. I would recommend this game.

marloflip
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by marloflip on Sep 4, 11 12:17 AM
Absolutely loved this game!!

yelwbkrd35
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by yelwbkrd35 on Sep 4, 11 9:01 PM
Thought this game was awful! Save your money

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Sep 6, 11 9:28 AM
Tried the demo and despite the cartoonish scenes it seemed fairly reasonable. Bought it because I wanted to stock up on a few games during the sale. Oh boy, wish I hadn't bothered, it definitely deteriorated as it went along. Too silly for words and no way will I be buying the sequel.

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Sep 7, 11 3:30 PM
The demo had me hungering for more, but I have a pre-buy rule of scanning the walkthrough for length and reading reviews in the forum. I was in the wedding scene when time ran out, which is halfway through the walkthrough apparently. Gameplay seems to take somewhere between 2 and 3.5 hours (I don't skip puzzles unless I'm really stuck and wasting demo time), seems like I might be done within 2.5 hours. This usually has me regretting a full-price purchase, as I prefer much longer games for my hard-earned buck.

All that aside, I really did like this game - it was light-hearted, amusing and not filled with the usual junkpiles of spiders, snakes and butterflies. I don't mind the cartoony graphics - they are a nice change on the eye and attitude. I tune out the music unless it is particularly bothersome/repetitive, I wasn't bothered or intrigued by it. The mini games were a bit too easy to feel like any challenge.

For me, this is the type of game I would play occasionally to take a little break from the usual fare of Nancy Drews and Princess Isabellas - when I want simple fun rather than thinking. So, while I'll pass on it as a $6.99 game, I will jump at the chance to buy it when it becomes a DD for $2.99.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Sep 7, 11 9:59 PM
I was really impressed with this one from the beginning as far as the art style, music, sound effects and spook factor goes. This was definitely the most interesting of the games I picked up in the recent sale.

Pros:
- Gorgeous graphics; more of a cartoon style which makes for a nice change.
- Actually spooky (for a casual game)! Granted, a lot of the spookiness comes from well-known tropes, but there's a reason they became tropes! The background sounds of what sounds like someone wailing, heartbeats, the distorted, echoing gibberish spoken by the ghosts, (Story spoiler, highlight to read) the sudden appearance of the eye in the keyhole or ghosts in mirrors, and the look of the Natsumi(?) ghost, which really evoked Japanese horror movies all combined for a horror atmosphere not achieved by the gazillion spooky HOGs out there.
- Great background music. Every location had a different theme and was generally menacing.
- Disturbing imagery. I suppose this could be a con for some people. (Story spoiler, highlight to read) Human sacrifice, hanged bodies, etc. Not quite as disturbing as Redrum: Time Lies, but close.
- Puzzles that test spatial, visual, logic and math skills. A couple of arcade style mini-games. Again, I suppose this could be a con to others.
- The ghosts came from different countries and time periods, which made for a nice variety in the location art.
- Great production values overall. High quality art, sound, music and voice overs.

Cons:
- I would have liked the spook factor to have been maintained throughout the game. A couple of the "ghost worlds" were pretty relaxing and idyllic and I wanted the urgency and creep factor to be sustained.

The Bottom Line:
A surprisingly high quality game with excellent artwork, music, sound effects and interesting puzzles.

Many have commented on the game length, and I was pretty happy with it. It's an adventure game, and there are no hidden object scenes, so if you slapped those in you'd get something with a game length in the typical HOG range. When I play HOGs, I tolerate the hidden object scenes for the adventure game aspects *sigh* so I'm happy there weren't any in this game.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Sep 10, 11 5:12 PM
This is a very short game, it took me about 3 hours in total to finish it and I like to really take my time, to really savour the game. You do have bonus gameplay in this game- you can replay the mini-games.

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Sep 22, 11 4:07 PM
While I didn't mind the game as such, I was very disappointed by the length, it must have been the shortest game I have come across so far.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 23, 11 9:31 AM
Another late review, but have only just played it. I thought it was a great game, with nice little touches.....especially the dog (won't say more in case of a spoiler). I like cartoon style games, yes her eyes at the end of every ghost were a little ott! Good music too, and I usually turn it off. Loved the music in Hell - very Pink Floyd (Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun in there somewhere I'm sure!). Maybe a bit short, but I still believe worth the purchase price.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Oct 6, 11 9:55 PM
Just finished this game and loved it! The combination of great graphics and music created just the right atmosphere for this game. Voice overs were well done and added to the game experience.

The puzzles were unique involving many different skills which was refreshing. Haven't seen math, logic and spacial puzzles that often in games recently.

This reminded me more of and old style point and click adventure than the more recent HOPA games. Perhaps that is why I liked it so well.

I found the length very good even though I didn't time myself, so don't know how long I played. Those who skip puzzles would probably find it a bit short because a lot of the game is puzzles and they took me quite awhile to complete.

There are some CE qualities to this game with the included Guide and free puzzle play after unlocking. This is the first game that I enjoyed going back and playing some of the puzzles again. That says a lot for how well I thought they were done.

Ending Spoiler-- HL to read:
*The ending was a bit of a "let-down" after the great scenes of Hell. I think I expected something more dramatic.*

Now I'm going to investigate finding a soundtrack for the game. I do wish it had been included also.

[Post New]by nellyandjohnny on Oct 27, 11 5:29 AM
I really enjoyed this game! It felt like a refreshing change to lots of other adventure games I've recently played,despite the theme being the usual sort of thing. The graphics are crisp, the music is fitting and unobtrusive and no real HOG's which was a nice break. The only HOG moments are to find inventory items.

The mini games are great I loved them (although did have to skip one or two). The 'guide' gives you enough clues if you're stuck without there being a hint button. No 'hair tearing out' moments but many I had to think about and scout around for a while - great balance for an adventure game. A nice variety of scenes and mini stories to keep you interested. It took me about 3 - 3.5 hours to play..maybe a little on the short side but I don't feel cheated at all, particularly as I had it on the sale!!

If you like quirky little adventure games I wouldn't hesitate in buying it!

[Post New]by Sevenlillies on Nov 25, 11 9:00 AM
It just wasn't for me. I got stuck on the music score puzzle and the "elevate rock" puzzle, and did not have the patience to continue, so I quit and uninstalled the game.

The graphics and storyline looked promising, but I just kept making mistakes and it got tedious.... I'm glad others enjoyed it though.

Go to: