seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Aug 26, 11 4:15 AM
What's not to like I loved the first two and think this one is even better,the owl and dragon are too cute and I love the goblins,I'm such a fan of the really dark and creepy as well that is perfect for my normally sweet and light personality lol !!! but boohoo can't afford the CE so will have to wait for the SE,good job I'm patient.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 26, 11 4:16 AM
(Disclaimer--little less than an hour with the full version)

Well, BoomZap has offered us another beautiful fantasy tale about the Princess and her expedition to find her fellow humans! This time, she's off to visit the Goblin King. But wait! There's a monkey wrench (or maybe more?) in the machinery!

The opening is nicely done (soaring on a Gryphon); the Options Menu has good choices (sound sliders, cursor and screen choices), and there are two gameplay modes (Casual and Normal, but even the Normal one may be a bit too Casual for some gamers). This time around, the Princess has two travelling companions--the Pocket Dragon (who now purrs), and Ran the Owl (hintmaster). As this seems like more of a puzzle-laden Adventure than an IHOG, Ran is very helpful about what to do next. Puzzles are skippable, but I don't think you'll need to do that. One STD so far, but it's quite different from cookie-cutter STDs. The musical track is nice and relaxing.

Voice acting in the Intro is very good--I don't know if it carries on later in the game, though. The Princess's interaction with characters (Goblins) so far is via sub-titled dialogue, which is really well written and witty. There's the obligatory journal; I've yet to consult the integrated SG, so I can't really comment on that, other than I noticed four Chapters and an Epilogue Chapter, plus "Tangram" puzzles. I'm still on Chapter One after about an hour (I do take my time), so (my) gameplay length could be 5+ hours.

I'm usually a fan of the Dark & Eerie games, but this is a really good, involving, graphically-pleasing story. By all means worth at least a try.

Regards, elldee

Edited on 08/26/2011 at 4:24:30 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Aug 26, 11 4:37 AM
What do you mean by STD, you got me confused there!?

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Aug 26, 11 4:53 AM
"spot the difference"

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Aug 26, 11 7:02 AM
A nice charming game that will last a long time for me. It will take me many sittings as I am puzzled out for now. Its definitely for concentrating and paying attention to everything. Something tells me I will be finishing this game this winter when I am snowed in and cant get out of the house. I like the graphics, music and the storyline, can play along with the grandkids without worrying about scary things popping out. Good job Boom Zap.

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Aug 26, 11 7:40 AM
euphoria wrote:"spot the difference"

Ahhh, that makes sense, tnx!

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Aug 26, 11 8:50 AM
The puzzles do indeed get harder to solve when you progress in the game, which is nice
I have been stumped by the Goblin Alphabet puzzle in the bookshelf. I have the solution, but I'm still not really getting it or understanding the solution.
I guess I will just stare at the solution in the SG untill I do get it.

[Post New]by woodspinner on Aug 26, 11 11:24 AM
Santa,

"Can't find walkthrough? You mentioned in your previous post that you checked the SG. That IS the walkthrough."

I respectfully disagree. A walkthrough is one long page. At the top, it shows how many "chapters". Then I can quickly scroll down using the right hand navigation bar to see how far I got in the free hour to give me a good idea of what percentage of the game I completed. The SG is many many pages. Since the chapters of the SG that are not part of the demo are blocked, I can't tell whether the next three chapters are of roughly equal length to the first one. That's something a walkthrough would give me.

I also noticed the comment from the developer. So I downloaded the game on another computer and looked more closely at the SG. Boomzap is right. I offer my heartfelt mea culpa. At quick glance, the characters shown for the next two chapters looked enough like characters I had encountered in Chapter 1 that I thought somehow I was past the first chapter.

So I take back my comment about how short the game was and have put the game on my buy list as soon as the SE comes out.

My apologies for confusing you as well.

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Aug 26, 11 11:45 AM
You never get a walk-thru when a CE is introduced. You get the built-in SG as a "plus" for the price. When the SE eventually comes out then, if you are lucky, a blog w/t will be available.

winkadink
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by winkadink on Aug 26, 11 1:21 PM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Awakening series! I am just a kid at heart and I love all the fantasy - fairies, kings, princesses, and little cute dragons. Really liked the demo and wanted to go on playing. Have to wait for the SE edition since my funds are limited (I buy way too many games as it is). Graphics are just lovely in this game and all the Awakenings. Just try the demo before you buy. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Like the music and story lines too.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 26, 11 2:48 PM
I enjoy this story line and the whole series sure hope there's a 4th. Will buy it and I don't care how long it is. The longer the better. We get so few light games. Mostly dark and eerie and enjoy the change.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Aug 26, 11 3:50 PM
After reading the reviews I was wondering if I would like this game. Sooo, I demoed it myself and frankly I like it! I like H O scenes but I love puzzles. This game offers me the best of both. I have the other 2 games in this series and I NEED to see how it ends.

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Aug 26, 11 6:35 PM
Tried the demo and after 10 minutes I had to buy it. On a Mac the graphics are awsome ! Love it, Love it. I have to go now and play

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Aug 26, 11 7:02 PM
I purchased this after playing for 30 minutes, but had already made up my mind 15 minutes into the game. I love this series. It's so pretty and enchanting, and I love the beautiful graphics and scenery, the story, the music, the sweet and adorable characters...such a refreshing change from all the dark and sinister games which I normally gravitate toward.

I'm finding the game very easy so far, but I am an admirer of beautiful artwork and fairy tales and was so smitten with the first two in this series that I just had to purchase this one as well. And aaahhh....such a lovely diversion.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Aug 26, 11 7:14 PM
“Awakening, The Goblin Kingdom” has most of the qualities that make a game enjoyable. Within the player-set difficulty levels,( with or without tutorial), it offers an in-game achievement log, a goals list, hints, and puzzles which one may skip, if they wish. It has pretty graphics, a pleasant soundtrack, good sound effects and cute characters.

This game offers a nice variety of scene exploration and lots of fairly straightforward, simple tasks and puzzles. For those of us who find hidden object scenes a bit tiresome, it is refreshing that this game only has a few, set among several other types of game-play.

While I personally found this game too easy and simple for my tastes (I enjoy a greater difficulty level/challenge) I nonetheless believe that folks with different game-style preferences, will still find aspects of this game enjoyable. It is lighthearted and offers lots of different puzzle types. If you are looking for lighter-fare, that is not overly challenging, I think you’ll enjoy “Awakening, The Goblin Kingdom”

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Aug 26, 11 11:23 PM
I loved thid game I did skip a rew puzzles byt the time counter said it took me 10 hours and 42 min It was a long game I would recommend f to anyone not alot of Hogs but still NMO finally another game worth the CE price if you played the other 2 you have to give this one a trey now off to Sonya I hope we get a SE tomorrow I have a credit that expires and I wold hate to lose it Don't remember what Sundays CE was gonna be if someone can refresh my memory and what happened to Jack the ripper game Have a goodnight or goodmorning or goodafternoon be back in a few hours have to get some sleep for my Dads 60th party tomorrow (he is not old it just makes me feel old) 38 is not to bad right or am I fooling myself lol HAPPY 60TH BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!!!!!

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Aug 27, 11 12:13 AM
You are a mere babe in arms, rugrats! Happy Bday to your dad.

Thanks for the reviews fishies. I'm still waiting for a review of the extended play, since it is newly out. I like this series so much I may spring for the CE. While I don't mind the dark and spooky, I love the light and fluffy even more. A pocket dragon that purrs, well I've often been accused of running a miniature zoo and that dragon would fit right in. And owls are ever charming.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 27, 11 1:18 AM
Hi there,
Having purchased and played the first 2 of this series, and wanting to complete the story I purchased this game ......... however, I should have learnt from my experience with the previous game in which I tired of replaying the same type of puzzles and skipped quite a few at the end, but I thought that this game would be different - being double the price and all!!
Unfortunately this was not so. OK, I generally enjoyed my journey through the story, but again skipped a number of "like" puzzles because I couldn't be bothered doing them again!! The devs seem to think that seeing as how we have solved earlier puzzles, that continuing them in increasingly more difficult setups is engaging. Sorry, for me this is just boring - I have done this twice, I don't want to do bloody fix the pipes again!! LOL. I like diversity.
So, I am actually glad that I have finished my Awakenings Journey, as I have had my fill of saccharine and repetition and do not feel the need for another instalment.
And I wonder, if the Prologue is the extra gameplay, how the SE will finish.
PS. The Pocket Dragon was discreetly popped into my own pocket before I finished that game and is now curled up safely next to me as I type.
The Owl? Well it does belong to Athena and has returned to her safely.
Cheers

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 1:19:51 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 27, 11 7:06 AM
I'm glad I did the trial, because although I have the other two, which I really enjoyed -- I was pretty disappointed in this one, and I'm not sure I would buy even as an SE. The game is quite easy, although some of the mini-games are a little confusing but the hint (an owl) tells you pretty much what to do if you can't figure it out (mostly you can) and there's no penalty for skipping; I saw only one HOG and I exited with 13 minutes left in the trial. I thought the play was appropriate for older children, so I was wrestling with boredom. I love the pocket dragon, although it's a little more grown-up looking in this version, but as others have said, it's one mini-game after another, little story in the trial, and the music for accomplishments is disconcertingly exactly the same as my first game, Agatha Christie - Death on the Nile. Certainly no buy for me as a CE, unlikely as an SE, but maybe when it's discounted one day, so I can catch up on the story.

unanymous
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by unanymous on Aug 27, 11 12:42 PM
I beta-tested this game a while ago and REALLY LIKED IT! The longer time lapse between testing and releasing games signals, to me, that the developers want to ensure a more pleasurable gaming experience. Such seems to be so in this game. The graphics are truly beautiful (you can almost feel the shivers from the cold, for example), and the 'helpers' (wise old owl & neophite dragon) are whimsical additions to the fantasy environment. There are lots of differently-styled, decently challenging mini-games to accomplish on your quest, with satisfying results that move you forward. From testing and then playing the trial, I think this CE is really worth the investment. I highly recommend it! It's a definite BUY for me!

Go to: