darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Aug 31, 11 9:12 PM
I'm not sure why there were puzzles in this game, because they pretty much did themselves...there wasn't really anything puzzling about them! Some objects hard to see. Graphics average. Voice overs annoying. No buy for me!

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Aug 31, 11 10:06 PM
To the contrary of most other reviewers, I personally think this is a well done game.
Jack the Ripper was bloody and the crimes he committed against his 5 victims were very perverse and horrific so the "red" seems appropriate. I think the voice overs are very well done and not that slow that they are annoying. The dark theme of the game seems quite appropriate considering the nature of the story. I would never associate Jack the Ripper with a sunday stroll in a sunlit park or rose garden. Overall gameplay is not that difficult though in some HOG scenes there are some well hidden objects. The hint system is pretty good, good enough that a walkthrough is not needed to get through game. And, yes, as one person pointed out, it is a long game. If you like the really creepy and don't object to the subject matter, I suggest you give this game a try.
4 out of 5 for me.

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on Sep 1, 11 9:35 AM
Just finished & really enjoyed. Had to muddle through some parts (guessing what inventory items to use or how to combine) as I am not the brightest fishie in the pond. I would like to thank all the fishies that provided solutions in this forum. Without your help I would not have enjoyed!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 2, 11 1:58 AM
I think this game is extremely boring and I really wish this developer would come up with a new story. This is the second Jack the Ripper game they have made and the first one was just as terrible, if not more, IMO. I personally love serial killer anything. I think its fascinating the way a serial killers mind works as I have a psychology degree BUT this game isn't very enjoyable at all. I never thought Id say that about a game that had voiceovers in a SE version either LOL I understand all the red as others were saying but the red made it hard to see the mini games and it took away from what this game could be. All in all, I will not be purchasing this even as a DD or with a punch credit.

oh & the click penalty for the hidden object games is AWFUL. Yes, Im playing the hard mode but it spins around after ONE misclick? Thats not okay.

Edited on 09/02/2011 at 2:01:04 AM PST

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Sep 2, 11 8:01 AM
I really wanted to like this game and thought based on some of the reviews that I would. It's not for me and I only lasted 23 minutes into the free trial. It insults my intelligence to make me go back to the same HOG scene and look for the exact same items. C'mon developers, a little creativity goes a long way and this game does not compare even slightly to some of the games out on here now. I also found it slow going from one scene to the next and the graphics are not that great. Just MHO and although some might like it, it's gone into my trash.

[Post New]by jamesnurse on Sep 2, 11 2:24 PM
rosie28sammy wrote:Definitely not for me. Way too much occult, too much blood and gore, etc. Granted it is about Jack the Ripper, but since when does Jack the Ripper have anything to do with the occult?

The game play itself is fine. I played on the advanced level and didn't really have trouble finding any of the objects. There are ample hints in case someone were to have trouble. I think I got to about 10 minutes into the game and deleted it simply because of all the occultic images and references. Sorry BF, but not buy for me.

For crazy8club, the whole game is basically occultic. In just my ten minutes of play, I saw crystal balls, healing crystals, tarot cards, etc.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 2, 11 2:40 PM
rosie28sammy wrote:Definitely not for me. Way too much occult, too much blood and gore, etc. Granted it is about Jack the Ripper, but since when does Jack the Ripper have anything to do with the occult?

The game play itself is fine. I played on the advanced level and didn't really have trouble finding any of the objects. There are ample hints in case someone were to have trouble. I think I got to about 10 minutes into the game and deleted it simply because of all the occultic images and references. Sorry BF, but not buy for me.

For crazy8club, the whole game is basically occultic. In just my ten minutes of play, I saw crystal balls, healing crystals, tarot cards, etc.

Like you, I wondered "since when does Jack The Ripper have anything to do with the occult?" I didn't buy it, either, for the same reason.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 2, 11 2:54 PM
Funnily enough there is an occult reference in the Jack the Ripper story; Robert James Lees a Victorian spiritualist & medium claimed he knew the identity of the killer as he had visions of him.
He offered his assistance to the police but they did not accept

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Sep 2, 11 3:47 PM
Excellent mystery . . . . .what makes it interesting is you have to put all the pieces together, the graphics, dark and eerie , a great "Who done it". The more the game creeps the more I like it. This is the real deal. "Yo!"

[Post New]by Columbia999 on Sep 2, 11 4:39 PM
I have a huge interest in Jack the Ripper but couldn't stand this game! Rubbish accents, slow story and a load of nonsense with tarot cards and occult symbols. No thanks, give me a nice gruesome murder game any day without all this waffle!

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Sep 2, 11 7:32 PM
was able to finish the game with out the walkthru and when I was stuck, I just look and read some of the answers to the questions that were ask .Enjoyed the story line as I like a good mystery and even tho I knew about Jack the Ripper, the game kept you on the move. I have to agree with everyone that the voices were nerve racking at times but I still enjoyed the game. It was a good buy for me..

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 2, 11 7:45 PM
I haven't finished the game yet, but I just have to comment that besides loving the historically accurate aspects of it ( I am an amature "Ripperphile"), the game itself is interesting and challanging. The only problem I have is that I wish Inspector Abbeline looked more like Johnny Depp!! (You guys have seen "From Hell" right?!
I don't know who ends up to be the prime suspect in this game, but I know who I think did it. But it doesn't matter. I don't think time will even tell. But I love the story of Jack the Ripper. Anyone out there for Lizzie Borden???

I'm off to finish the game!

Feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 2, 11 10:42 PM
O.K. Follow-up to my last entry. Just finished the game, and I must say, other than the insinuation of black magic or whatever, I really enjoyed this game. As someone, totally facinated with Jack the Ripper and Lizzie Borden (both around the same time period, 20 years or so), I felt as if I had a "behind the investigation" look at some of the suspects. I had the good fortune to vacation in London in 2001. I stood in front of the "Ten Bells" and "Christ Church" and was totally awed. You Londoners get to see this all the time. Those two (2) places I mentioned, by the way, are the only two existing buildings from the Jack the Ripper era. They look exactly as they did in 1888. Thank you for this very cool experience!!
Feenix

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 3, 11 3:45 AM
It's an interesting take, leaving the occult out of it.
Reporter writes the letter.
Albert Victoria marries twice? [AV is Albert Victoria and QV is Queen Victoria]
Other than that, it's the usual suspects.

ETA Just finished on hard.

The accents aren't baaad. "Gotten" twice is worse.

Edited on 09/03/2011 at 7:24:02 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 3, 11 2:37 PM
Finally finished (after having to start again due to a disappearing inventory item) & absolutely loved the game; took me all day (on and off) to play.

Was the word 'darn' really in use in Cockney London in the 1800s - I wouldn't have thought so but I may be wrong.

[Post New]by mzchampane1 on Sep 4, 11 12:20 AM
Didnt have a very good experience with this game. This game has issues with disappearing inventory. Had to restart at chpt 5 when the water jug vanished, then when i was so close to finishing game (chpt 13) i had more vanishing inventory leaving me unable to break vase to get 5th coin(my inventory was empty at this point)-oh yeah the 4th coin apparently vanished too. I was only able to retrieve 3 coins. Will not be restarting again. So disappointing.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 4, 11 3:44 AM
SeaBamboo wrote:Was the word 'darn' really in use in Cockney London in the 1800s - I wouldn't have thought so but I may be wrong.
No. That's been sanitised for a US audience.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 4, 11 7:22 AM
I really enjoyed this game, I just wish there hadn't been any hidden object scenes. I am waiting for a straight up adventure but I guess I'll never again get one here as they only put out games (adventure) eith hidden object scenes.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 4, 11 7:25 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
SeaBamboo wrote:Was the word 'darn' really in use in Cockney London in the 1800s - I wouldn't have thought so but I may be wrong.
No. That's been sanitised for a US audience.

Ah yes; that happens in films as well

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Sep 4, 11 11:12 AM
Quite like it. More HOG than I like but really draws you in to the period.

Go to: