medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Bride

[Post New]by medic1960 on Sep 29, 11 6:35 AM
This game has everything I love! Beautiful, clear, colourful graphics, a good storyline, music that doesn't intrude and a good variety of mini-games.

Well done and thank you to all concerned.

Gerry.

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on Oct 8, 11 11:03 PM
Grim Tales: The Bride
BFG and Elephant Games

There are three modes: casual, advanced and hardcore. There are no voices and very little if any animation as I recall.

I liked and hated this game. First the crash, hang/freeze issues. Some people managed to play with no snags. Alas, I was not one of them but I can rejoice because the major problem was near the start. Besides the 4 HOUR download! (I'm blaming that on the new GM.)

Terms were not used consistantly. A cup was a mug or a goblet. A chest might also be called a cask. Box was also called trunk. Cupboard was also cabinet. And was Tom Soer supposed to be Tom Sawyer? I hoped it was a joke. HOGs were not consistent. Some were just beautiful, clear, and a joy. Some were murky, obscured playing area and items, used color on color, size distortion, and ambiguous descriptions. But a really good thing - no penalty for incorrect or rapid click (I just hate that! It's MY game and I'll click when I want to. )

Hint wasn't. It was a direction, not a hint. I used it once and when it told me exactly what to do, that was it.

Music was unobtrusive since you only heard about 30 seconds worth on the occasion of entering certain locations. Sound effects were consistent with location.

Most, but not all puzzles had reset buttons. I think most had an Info bar which was supposed to tell you the objective of the puzzle. I found at least two unhelpful.

I liked the puzzles. There was a puzzle or HOG every time you turned around - the game was just brimming with them. Good thing because the story left a bit to be desired.

I did NOT like the feeling that every item you have to find is a key or a medallion. No, there were other items, just didn't seem like it. And it also felt like back and forth to two locations too many times. On the other hand, most of the locations were just beautiful.

I also liked the fact that you couldn't always use an item immediately after you found it. But this caused two other problems; if you only play a few hours a week, you will need to keep track of locations AND what is needed in each. BTW, don't use a term without an adjective or you'll find you have 6 locations that need 6 keys and you have 1 key in inventory. :-) Now what?

more to come....

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on Oct 8, 11 11:42 PM
I think the game could have benefited in including a map and/or a to do list. The player doesn't have to use them, but I think it would be appreciated by casual gamers.

I found the diary to be useless.

If you leave the game while sitting on a cutscene, you will find that after two minutes it will continue on without you - even though there is a 'click to continue.' Now, I ASK you ---- WHY? Who's in a hurry here?

Hint refreshes in about 30 seconds. But I only tested it once so it may stay that way or get longer if you use it.

My impression is that multiple people performed the programming and they didn't speak to each other. And really weird when Luisa calls out, "Luisa, you're here!"

And yet, despite it all, I was attracted to play. The game didn't hold my attention as some do, but I wanted to play it. But I also felt the developers wanted to give the player his money's worth - it just wasn't clear to them what exactly that is. Although I liked it, they maybe went overboard with features - lots of HOG and puzzles - and not enough game - the compelling story. (not to say I need a story to play! )

I played in advanced mode, said no to interactive tutor. Did not use the hint on HOGs and finished all but three puzzles (two I intentionally skipped, one was forced upon me). I WAS disappointed in two of them. For one puzzle, the only way I could advance in the game was to skip the puzzle. For another, the board was so obscured I couldn't see to play. (For the third, I was just plain lazy. ) If you are willing to risk the game freezing or crashing, you will find this game to be a long play. There may be multiple reasons for this.

I'd say puzzles range from beginner/activity to intermediate+. I did NOT see that the puzzles became harder with play. I was pleased to see that the puzzles were built so that, with some study, they were not too hard - and didn't require a whole lot of steps to complete. But having said that, I know that at least one puzzle took me 10 minutes to figure out. If you have that kind of patience and time - you will enjoy.

Story was almost as if they'd started with one and then changed their minds. Previous reviews are correct - the ending is disappointing and very abrupt.

My notes say I played 10 hours over 6 days. WOW. I downloaded after the Sept. 17 new release and still had a problem with the RIP puzzle. (I have a guaranteed 'will hang the game' solution to RIP written up elsewhere.)

viv76
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by viv76 on Oct 12, 11 6:46 PM
Wasted credit for me : (, great graphics but far too much back and forth, ending was really disappointing and the overall gameplay was far too linear

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Oct 15, 11 7:03 PM
Pretty good game overall but I had forgotten the beginning by the time I finished..... The puzzles were probably fun, I just skipped the fiddly ones where you had to twirl things 15 times to get the colours in a row - not fun for me after I spent too much time messing them up and not finding a reset button to start fresh.

ENDING SPOILER:
The ending - someone tell me how it ends so I can sleep tonight. Is the demon the father? Who were the white-haired twins in the picture at the end? Wasn't Luisa older than her sister? How did they end up being twins? Did Luisa get back together with Gary, or whatever his forgettable name was? Was he a victim too, and if so, did the sister release him along with Luisa? I spent so much time on this game, I'd like a definite ending.

avueik
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by avueik on Oct 24, 11 8:57 PM
I thought this was a lame game. Worth it's value in a DD. Once again I purchased a game by reading reviews. Does BFG weed through their reviews and only put the good ones out there? Truly a boring game. The HOG's were simple at best. The only good thing out of the game are the puzzles. I've quit the game 2x before finishing, as it bores me. Don't waste your money or time.

everln
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by everln on Oct 26, 11 1:46 AM
I found the game demo very easy and still had 22mins left when demo ended but the graphics are great and the mini games can be skipped if needed hidden objects are not to small so can be found without need of hints altogether a nice game only I wonder how long the game is I think I will buy when it is in sale.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Nov 8, 11 9:11 AM
Elephant Games delivers again!!!!
great game
terrific puzzles
very good story
abrupt ending
but i love the way u dont have to do H.O.s 2 and 3 times
u just go on to a diff puzzle
requires brain matter to play
hurray!!!!!!!!!

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Nov 20, 11 12:29 PM
I enjoyed "The Bride", but I couldn't follow the story line very well. The scenes jumped from place to place with no particular logical order or pattern to the story line. The hint system was fast and gave good information and directions. I couldn't follow the minigames or puzzles very well and had to use the skip button more than I wanted to. While the graphics and music were well done, I would have rated it higher if the story been more interesting, coherent, and organized.

Bhilithinn
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by Bhilithinn on Nov 30, 11 11:47 AM
I bought this game for $2.99 and it was a fun time-waster.

The graphics were good, and the HOGs were fun.

I found the puzzles to be very tedious. But it may just be my style of play.

However, the part that irked me the most about this game was the storyline. It seems as if they changed their minds several times while telling the story. When you're playing from a first-person perspective, you really ought to know certain things about your own character and history.

For example (spoiler below highlight if you want to read):

Part-way through the plot it mentions "the demon is your estranged father". How can you/she go through the entire plot and not know you have an estranged father?

There were a lot of other logical problems with the plot as well.

I also found that they didn't fix the little details. In one HOG you're looking for "Tom Soer"....and it finally dawned on me that they meant "Tom Sawyer".

There were also a lot of other little details like that. In the age of Google, I just don't think there's any excuse for making those kinds of mistakes.

tangawarra
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by tangawarra on Dec 4, 11 2:16 AM
Love this game, nice and easy to play, great for a lazy Sunday morning. No problem getting through without hints or walkthrough. Lots of puzzles, and in a great variety - which I love - also, the puzzles weren't too difficult, just time consuming (sometimes) but also not too easy. It makes me crazy when the only puzzles you get are things like "there are three letters A, B, C press them in the right order" that's not a puzzle! Most of the **** scenes were good, easy to solve too. Graphics were good, too, but the story was a bit thin.

[Post New]by VENICELOVER on Dec 7, 11 7:31 PM
I loved this game! Played it on the most advanced mode (no hints or puzzle skips). Great graphics, fun puzzles, and long play. Everything I look for in a game. Wish I had gotten the collectors version.

[Post New]by cajungator1 on Jan 6, 12 5:48 PM
I've played the game preview on the online games several times and found it interesting. I thought that by downloading it I would get more playtime to find out if I really wanted to purchase it, but it ended in the same place. What a waste of my time. If you're only going to give us the same game play as we get on the online games, let us know before we take the time to download and go through the same game play that we've already been through. I'm really beginning to think I need to find a different place to get games.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 8, 12 3:06 PM
The game was OK, I am glad I didn't bought the CE, I think I would have been disappointed, but as just a SE it was fine with it.

Good graphics, nice HOScenes.

MomEdie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by MomEdie on Jan 9, 12 6:34 AM
For those of you who get irritated with all the 'back and forth' scenes when a map isn't provided, especially if you are frequently interrupted in game play as I am and lose track of your travel routes, here's how I keep my cool. I use scrap paper (backs of junk mail envelopes are good recycling candidates) and as I progress from place to place, I quickly chart them in simple shorthand. For example, you might write "Courtyard" with an arrow down to "front door," an arrow left to "back yard," an arrow right to "garage," and similar arrows at each of those locations that lead to somewhere else. Then when you need to go to say, "master bedroom" or "library" you just have to check your arrows from your current location to find the shortest route.

Another hint: I also keep a quick list of what leftover chores need to be taken care of in which location, so later when I find that "handle" or "shovel" or whatever in my inventory I know right where to go to use it. Something simple like "back yard - up/tree/L" reminds me that I need to get up into a tree on the left side of the back yard scene, and that ladder I just found might work; then, when I've completed that job I cross it off. I'm sure we all have our own little ploys and don't intend to offend anyone with this, -- I just thought it might ease the way for some beginner to enjoy these games.

[Post New]by 1014Mousling on Jan 12, 12 7:38 PM
Well I just finished playing and it was a pretty good game, the graphics were excellent and some of the mini-games really stretched my brain cells. I'm like a lot of the other reviewers, towards the end, the back and forth between rooms got a trifle tedious. Also, the ending was a wee bit abrupt, like a scene was missing. Gave me a 'huh?' moment Granted I was playing the SE version not the CE, so can I assume the ending was a bit more involved in the CE?

But overall an enjoyable game, and yep I'll purchase the sequel (not sure whether in SE or CE format, got to think on that one)

[Post New]by blooby_fish on Jan 18, 12 7:05 PM
Hrmmm... This game is... not bad, I guess
Not the best HOG I've ever played but, well... not bad.
I dont really like how the items in HOG sometimes blends so well that's its difficult to search but sometimes stand out too much. There's time I've search for every edge of the screen but still cant find the items. And when I gave up and click the SOS button, it leads me to an item that looks nothing like the item list requested!
But aside of that, its still ok...

I'll give 3.5 out of 5 for this game

[Post New]by scoobysnak98 on Jan 19, 12 2:47 PM
I have to ditto your post. Great game and well worth the full price. I lucked up and got this one on sale, what a buy. Great graphics and very long game.

[Post New]by Freevoyager on Jan 21, 12 1:16 PM
This is a great game and definitely worth the sale price!!

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Jan 30, 12 4:42 PM
Overall this is not a bad game, but the ending is deplorable, it just stops........I understand the complete ending is included as a bonus in the CE version, which is unacceptable. Bonus means extra, NOT completed!! Save yourself the frustration & buy the CE version.

Go to: