Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

Re:Review for Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 8, 11 4:50 PM
I am a bit disappointed with this last ERS game.

I agree with what others have said here, that the ERS games are getting formulaic, and unfortunately this applies to this one as well:
- Yet another cursed town with missing people...
- Relatively short for a CE, especially the bonus: i took me like 30 - 40 minutes to complete.
- Less adventure elements then in the earlier ERS games, and more HOG's: that takes away some of the fun for me
- When it comes to the graphics i have seen better ERS-games also: its like this one takes a step back from earlier ones. And the townscape and interiors are a bit of a stylistic mish-mash.

On the plus side: some nice, original puzzles in this game. I did find the puzzles in the last 3 or 4 ERS-games a bit too simple, the puzzles in this new game offer more challenge.

But still: its too much like i am playing the last ERS-game again. The setting might have changed, but there isnt anything new and exciting to be found in this game. I think ERS should bring some new elements in their HOG-games to keep things 'fresh' in the future.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 8, 11 4:52 PM
Continuing:

My verdict:
Allthough my complaints, i still rate this game 7 out of 10, because of the (predictable) quality standards ERS uses.

But I would not recommend buying this game as a CE, because, as i said, the bonus game is very short, and not really worth the extra bucks IMO.

jennipurr
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by jennipurr on Sep 8, 11 4:52 PM
I too love ERS games, but have a limited budget. Now after getting burned with the SE ending for The Bride , being told that another one's CE ending is just the end of the picture story I'm leary as to what TO buy. Does this bonus stand alone or does it finish the story? Any help out there in the pond?

robinbucy
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by robinbucy on Sep 8, 11 5:19 PM
This one didn't really grab me, and I was really looking forward to coming home to the demo. I don't really want to find out what the little bugger is up to. I really enjoyed Queen of Spades, so this seems like quite a letdown.

The last few ERS games were okay, but except for Maestro I have no desire to play them again. To me the mark of a great game is when you are done you say, "Wow! I want to do that again!"

Maybe after almost 200 game purchases, I'm just harder to please? (Yikes! Never should have put them in a spreadsheet! I had no idea how many I had!) I think I go back and play Queen again.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 8, 11 6:48 PM
jennipurr wrote:I too love ERS games, but have a limited budget. Now after getting burned with the SE ending for The Bride , being told that another one's CE ending is just the end of the picture story I'm leary as to what TO buy. Does this bonus stand alone or does it finish the story? Any help out there in the pond?

I know how you feel...I've begun to re-visit my local library for free and entertaining reading.

sigrid1
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by sigrid1 on Sep 8, 11 7:54 PM
Well, I loved it. I played all day. It is shorter than what I'd like for the money. And the bonus chapter was only about 30 minutes of extra play. But as tired as the plot may be to some, it must be hard to keep coming up with new themes. Could have been longer, but I enjoyed it and I'll replay it in a while when I've forgotten most of what I learned today....LOL

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Sep 8, 11 9:19 PM
I have always enjoyed the ERS games but lately, They just seem too much all the same.
I don't know If I just need a break from these games, but lately, I just don't seem to be enjoying them as much as I used to.

I would love to see some games like the Art of Murder, or NiBiRu but I have not seen any of these for a long while. I just get so tired of practically every other scene a HOG.

These games are beautifully done. I am not complaining about the quality at all and after a break with some interactive games, I am sure that I would enjoy these again.

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Sep 8, 11 9:28 PM
Love this game, especially because it's a sequel. I was playing the regular mode. Most of the puzzles were not difficult, but I think I'm glad I bought the CE version since there were a couple of times when I used the Strategy Guide. I always mute the music so can't comment on that. Most of the **** were easy to find; not too small and the hint button seems to recharge in a reasonable time. The graphics are beautiful, and I'm looking forward to another sequel. As for the length of the game, that too seemed reasonable. Sometimes, with the very long games, I've forgotten where I was when I get back to playing. 3 thumbs up for ERS

blue1955
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by blue1955 on Sep 8, 11 10:00 PM
I agree. 3 hours is too short for a CE. I enjoyed playing the demo. Graphics, voice overs are great, but I will wait on the SE.

MinnieK
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by MinnieK on Sep 8, 11 10:27 PM
Poutoule wrote:
Eisteepfirsich wrote:
julie421 wrote:Where is the bonus game ?

You can find the bonusgame in the main menue under "extras" (but you can`t click on extras till you bought the game).

And can't play it before you finsih the game..........

It's tricky to notice it at first - that branch that sticks out into the middle of the screen actually reads "Play" but you have to squint to see it!

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Sep 8, 11 10:32 PM
My recommendation for players who are experienced and relatively fast is to wait for the SE. The bonus play is quite short--about half and hour--and it is just a lead in to the next game, but really doesn't enrich Bronze Horseman. In fact, if I hadn't had a bad day at work, I wouldn't have bought this CE myself.

I like ERS games, but I think the developers have found a formula and are applying it to most of their games now. For one, they haven't even commissioned new music: this is the same music that I've heard in at least three (if not more) ERS games, which makes you feel like it's the same game. For another, I'm also getting a little tired of the evil dwarf. This game is actually a bit longer in the main play than the last ERS I tried; I think that they have heard our complaints, but the longer game isn't really all that interesting. It's just the same sort of hidden objects and minigames.

I will say that the some of the mini-games at least looked different, but they weren't all that challenging; some just took a while to complete. The only one that I skipped was a really stupid game in the bonus chapter: [spoiler alert] it was the mollusk game, but the marker didn't move in any way that seemed to match the instructions or with the spaces it was on. I got two of the cones, but just gave up on the third after five tries. My reaction was "****-hum, who cares." Someone earlier commented that they skipped the stair minigame in the demo: [spoiler alert] since there were no instructions, I just completed it by trial and error, which took a while and was boring, but worked. Maybe I missed the instructions, but I find trial and error irritating in an adventure/hidden object game.

Since I don't use strategy guides and don't download wallpaper or music, the CE is really not worth the money. Save your pennies and enjoy the SE.

Edited to add: it's ridiculous that we can't type "h0-hum" or "H0" in a review without using zeroes. Why would anyone refer to ladies of the night on BFG? In fact, to ban those words because of the word "wh*re" but to permit the word prostitute is just plain silly.

Edited on 09/08/2011 at 10:39:54 PM PST

[Post New]by GoddessVeLora on Sep 8, 11 11:57 PM
This game was Awesome!! I give it an High A!

MerryAnne
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by MerryAnne on Sep 9, 11 1:24 AM
Another awesome game from ERS.

Everything about it was top notch. Oh, and I loved the music too.

Definitely a grade A + game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 9, 11 3:22 AM
I enjoyed playing the hour I had available (never manage to finish the trial in the hour I`ve got), but right from the start it has the "same old same old" kind of feeling.

I still love the graphics, gameplay, and puzzles, but I am starting to get the feeling of a repetition. And the game has a somewhat flat kind of feeling.

The first time I was slightly disappointed with an ERS game was when I played "Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice". It felt as if the developers no longer put an effort into the stories they come up with. And I get the same feeling with this game - a kind of deja vu feeling - been there, done it, except in a different town.

Still, I do like ERS games, but won`t be buying the CE version of this one. Rather wait for the SE. Bonus games are usually very short and often disappointing.

I also hope the SE of "Children`s Plight" has the bugs and glitches and whatnots ironed out of it. I bought the CE but it never installed and instead I got the dreaded blue screen of death.
I did contact ERS about it, but as the saying goes: Silence is golden...

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Sep 9, 11 6:30 AM
To me the ERS games more and more stand for 'Effortless Routine Series'. When you've never played one you'll probably love the first you play (that is if you're into this particular artwork style) But if you've played them all, or practically all, you'll be bored in no time by this 'new' one. Same old, same old including the sniveling little kid begging you for help.

Don't get me wrong, the game on itself is good enough (although it's questionable if it justifies the CE price). A lot of beginners in this category will be thrilled and of course your entire fanclub will be cheering. But to me this game is disappointing, if not to say flatout boring. I'm halfway in it, and I already regret I bought it. For instance: I'm playing the 'hard' mode but... sparkles still indicate the next H0 scene. Why oh why developers, do you keep doing this? Haven't there been enough complaints about it from players? And then the number of H0 scenes. I've got the strong impression you put in more and more of them and at the same time put less effort in 'adventure'. Really a pity. And if I read other reviews, I discover I won't have to expect a very interesting Bonus Game as well. It seems to be more like a teaser for the next game.

So, it seems wise to skip your CE's in the future and buy your SE's solely if... at all.

Strictly personal opinion of course.

CasualGran

edited for grammar

Edited on 09/09/2011 at 6:32:44 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 9, 11 7:17 AM
To me the mark of a great game is when you are done you say, "Wow! I want to do that again!"

Absolutely - and with the earlier ERS games, I was there! " Can't wait to play this again and appreciate all the details I've missed cos I'm so excited and loving the game so much." Not anymore. But I do admit there are such brilliant innovations out there (Shivers/Faces for example) and that I am spoiled rotten. The quality/value/appreciation bar has been raised even higher. Lucky us!

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Sep 9, 11 8:20 AM
I too love the quality of ERS games (Queen of Spades is one of my favorites) but this game didn't grab me at all. Very formulaic. After 30 minutes I stopped the demo; just not interested in continuing.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 9, 11 8:28 AM
CasualGran wrote:To me the ERS games more and more stand for 'Effortless Routine Series'.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 9, 11 8:35 AM
jkuci wrote:
CasualGran wrote:To me the ERS games more and more stand for 'Effortless Routine Series'.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 9, 11 10:16 AM
I've already made a comment but having finished the game I'd like to add a few things :

This game is a CE and I was highly suprised that, in 2 occasions at least, what should have been a mini game was not. When you're supposed to find 2 pins for a lock you normaly think it will end with a mini game, but here, NO, the door just opens.

When you have to find bars in order to open another lock, you believe "here comes a mini game", but again NO, you put the bars and the door opens.

I believe the devs could have been a bit more thoughtful about us poor players, this is very frustrating.

If the bonus play had been really worth it, I wouldn't mind that much, BUT...........

Go to: