[Post New]by uwflossi on Sep 12, 11 2:44 AM
It is a nice game. But it does not grab me to by the CE. Happy gaming

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

Re:Reviews for Cursed Memories: The Secret of Agony Creek Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Poem123 on Sep 12, 11 4:03 AM
Well... I knew I shouldn't have tried this because I cannot afford to buy it for another week, that said, this is a definite buy for me once I'm able to.

Pros:
- Lovely artwork as is standard for CEs these days
- Really fun(!) interactive hidden object scenes
- Generous misclick timer but the intuitive cursor and well placed objects mean you rarely misclick unless intending to
- No hand-holding on expert mode
- Hints recharge at a good pace and offer adventure hints as well
- Good story progression
- Great voiceovers (acting as well as ease to skip through dialogue)
- Smooth cursor that isn't too big
- Looks great on widescreen (doesn't look stretched)

Cons:
- Phantom (personal objection)
- Intro is a little sudden
- No map

Didn't look at the strategy guide but wish I'd taken a peek to estimate the length.

Definite buy for me... next week =(

Edited on 09/12/2011 at 4:03:57 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 12, 11 4:12 AM
The demo was so short that I couldn't really make an accurate opinion about it.
It looks pretty good, but I read some comments about tech problems and else.
And because I had glitch issue with last C E I played and was not solved, I prefer to wait and see if these problems will be solved! But I like the game, I think the rain effect is great!!!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Sep 12, 11 5:15 AM
A true DDD game in my opinion. Dark, Depressing and Dirty. Add to this the repetetive, boring music and you've got 1 CE I can perfectly do without.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 12, 11 6:22 AM
Agree with CasualGran. Enough is enough.... DDD, indeed!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 12, 11 1:54 PM
vicalana wrote:
schobey wrote:I really thought this was a really good game, but in MHO I feel it was not worth the price of the CE. This one was one of the shortest I played. Only lasted 3 1/3 hrs. It was a very very good game tho, just wish it would have been longer.

I agree - great game, but I did think it would last longer.

I agree with both of you. I really enjoyed the game but way to short for a CE.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 12, 11 4:04 PM
I was a bit confused by the negative comments. I had no problem with grainy graphics or difficulty obtaining/finding objects, e.g. the arrow. Did have a lot of unnecessary running back and forth for only one move, but it kept me going. I don't much care for the "sleepy blurry eye" that seems to be showing up in our games lately. I found the HOGs to be a bit slow when finding an item. Not difficult at all...neither were the games. All in all, not a bad game, but I'm not sure I want to spend the CE price on this one. I will have to think about it. Haven't crossed it off my list yet.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Sep 12, 11 5:12 PM
I just finished this game and am very disappointed at how short it was for a CE ! I have purchased 6.99 games that were longer than this one for twice the price. I am not very happy BFG with this at all ! While VS has other games that I have bought and enjoyed,this one was okay, but I don't feel it was worth the 13.99. There was no bonus extra game after finishing the game either !! What gives with that !! This the first time ever buying a CE and totally regretting it!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 12, 11 5:17 PM
I enjoyed this game. A couple of things that I didn't like were: you could not get close to the bottom of the screen in HOS because it would take you out of the scene. Some of the items I needed were down at the bottom and I had to really maneuver my curser to get them. Also, the game would occasionally go in the pause mode without my wanting to pause. Luckily I could get right back in, but it was annoying. I did not like the bad guy's voice and interruptions in my quest. I thorougly detested the woman cop interferring with me. I don't think she was even necessary. The puzzles were good and fun. Some were semi-hard. You have to go back to previously visited scenes to find things and complete tasks. Overall - this is a good game. I am saving my bonus games for later. Thanks BF

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Sep 12, 11 5:28 PM
I liked the game but will wait until I have enough game credits, then I'll have to decides among two or three games that have come out lately.

Hidden Expedition
Bronze Horseman

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 12, 11 6:31 PM
Whoa....total waste of money. This game is entirely too short to be a Collector's Edition. Not fun or very challenging. It was over before I knew it. Some of the puzzles are interesting, but overall...don't buy is my advice. Sorry BF not up to par...

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 12, 11 6:32 PM
Whoa....total waste of money. This game is entirely too short to be a Collector's Edition. Not fun or very challenging. It was over before I knew it. Some of the puzzles are interesting, but overall...don't buy is my advice. Sorry BF not up to par...

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 12, 11 6:34 PM
The bonus games are not very long or interesting either. Don't waste your money on this one.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Sep 12, 11 8:22 PM
Thanks for all the comments.....think I'll wait till there is an SE and I can get it as a freebie. As one lady mentioned, she and her husband are both out of work. I can relate. I won't drop my membership because $7 a month is all I spend on myself, but I will definitely be more persnickety as to which games I buy. I appreciate all you fishies telling it like it is!

[Post New]by casualcraze on Sep 12, 11 10:41 PM
I thought the game was fantastic! The graphics were just right for the atmosphere and the storyline kept me guessing the entire way through

Definite Must Buy for eerie thrilling HOG lovers.

Enjoy!!

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Sep 13, 11 5:44 AM
This is the second CE that I have gotten that the "bonus" section was a bust. I really like the SG being in the game but I hate paying for a CE with a bonus section full of "artwork" and "wallpapers". The graphics were good, but would you really want them on your computer as wallpaper? I liked this game though....and not a predictable story line at all. It wasn't a mind bender but quite enjoyable and one that when you had to quit to do something, you wanted to come back and finish it.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 13, 11 8:01 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Vast Studios has returned to their dark and eerie roots with Cursed Memories: The Secret of Agony Creek. Unfortunately, it falls way short of the marks left by Nightfall Mysteries Curse of the Opera and Asylum Conspiracy, something I attribute to the loss of Derek Stead as their Game Designer.

Overall, the graphics are good, albeit dark. The storyline is thin and slow in developing. The gameplay is stilted, clumsy and just beyond reason sometimes (Oh look...here's a well--think I'll climb down. No particular reason...nothing beckoning, no noise, no one calling...it's just here - isn't that what everyone would do? ) The puzzles are not difficult with solutions easily found.

Because there is no wide screen or aspect ratio option, people with wide-screens will have difficulty with objects near the edges unless they change their screen resolutions. Additionally, some objects are too near the bottom of the screen's exit field and present a problem when trying to select them. There is an on board Strategy Guide (the entire guide is available for viewing in the demo version, including the bonus). In order to unlock the extras, special objects must be found during regular gameplay.

There are a couple of spooky moments, but overall, I can't say they compensated for my other disappointments in the game. But then, maybe my expectations were set too high - I was hoping for something as good as Curse of the Opera.

Edited on 09/14/2011 at 9:05:25 PM PST

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by eedebeep on Sep 13, 11 8:56 AM
PROs: Good graphics, plenty of Hidden Object scenes, good length of regular game.

Game plot doesn't make a lot of sense, and the BONUS is way too short. Games are way too easy. Again have to turn off the annoying voices.

Can't comment on the music cause I always turn it off, find it annoying.

B+

[Post New]by emilysbeau on Sep 13, 11 6:21 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game and would love to see more like it. The story line was excellent!

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Sep 13, 11 6:27 PM
Delightfully intriguing. Creative. Superb art work. Great characters. Hidden Object were fantastically challenging. I was totally stumped in one Hidden Object game, appreciate the thought that went in to fooling me. Fun.

Enjoyed the game. It was short -- worth every minute of play.

Thanks to all for bringing this game to us.

Go to: