blackgsd
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

Re:Reviews for Twisted Lands: Insomniac

[Post New]by blackgsd on Sep 27, 11 2:24 PM
This game is freaking peculiar. It makes no sense at all and I can only assume the developers were smoking something when they mapped it out and never stopped to think what a mess it was later.

Nothing is explained. Nothing. Maybe they think I buy games for puzzles? Puzzles that you already have in-game crib sheets for? Puzzles that you can only skip after an unconscionably long wait? They should think again. Story, atmosphere, characters I enjoy, that's the main attraction of games for me and I have not been getting it. The stories in the casual games being churned out is wafer thin; in this game, the story is non-existant, nothing more than a hodgepodge of weird ideas that go nowhere, situations that are hinted at and never resolved. And I bought this thing? I think I'm going back to the old point and click adventures sitting on my shelf that I know are well-made and entertaining.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Oct 1, 11 1:08 PM
and anyway, what's wrong with mental institutions??? there has to be someplace for the people to go, and if you think they're creepy that's because they are. i worked in one for 10 years in PA....one of the best and most fun places i have ever been... what i don't get is why people who like other games, of which there are plenty, d/l or buy hidden object games when they don't like the format. there's nothing wrong with having preferences, just follow your own and enjoy playing them, TM or Puzzle, or whatever. HOGs are for people who like to find things...and i like to find them creepy and dark...but that's just me. i liked this game very much...

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

TO THE DEVELOPERS-EXCELLENT WORK!

[Post New]by mycatluna on Oct 3, 11 9:39 PM
This game, IMHO, is a fantastic sequel to Twisted Lands: Shadow Town, which was played from Mark's point of view; whereas Twisted Lands: Insomniac is played from Angel's point of view. I found that it helped to go back and re-play Shadow Town as it helped me to understand what was happening in the sequel.

You re-visit some locations from the first game; some of the cut-scenes from the first game are re-played at crucial moments to help the player follow the story-line. All of this is done on purpose so the player can see where Angel's and Mark's paths have crossed between the two games.

This game is not hard to follow at all IF you take the time to read all your journal notes, read all the dialogue, watch all the cut-scenes, and also read items found in your environment (i.e. books, newspapers, notes, diaries, etc.) For those that enjoyed the game but were still confused at the end, I recommend re-playing and taking your time-read everything and look closely at your surroundings.

Throughout the game, all remaining questions from Shadow Town are answered. We finally know what really happened to Mark and what Angel's fate turns out to be as she struggles to come to terms with what really happened out at sea.

The plot is woven beautifully; the back and forth between different 'realities' is done well, leaving no gaps and picking up right back where you left off. It held my interest throughout the game, struggling to figure out what was her "reality" and what was her "nightmare."

The ending is a surprise twist that I wasn't expecting but it is a perfect ending to a sad and terrifying story. I was left feeling fully satisfied with all my questions answered. This two game series truly immerses the player in the environment.

The graphics are VERY crisp and detailed and I found it a perfect balance of hidden object and adventure; heavy on the adventure side. The soundtrack is unobtrusive to game-play and the ambient sounds fit well in the environment.

This is a game that takes some investment on the part of the player. In order to truly have an enjoyable experience you really do have to take your time and read everything there is to read within the game; only then will you feel completely satisfied with the outcome.

Note to the developers-This was a unique gaming experience. I recommend ending the story with Insomniac.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Oct 3, 11 9:41 PM
blackgsd wrote:This game is freaking peculiar. It makes no sense at all and I can only assume the developers were smoking something when they mapped it out and never stopped to think what a mess it was later.

Nothing is explained. Nothing. Maybe they think I buy for puzzles? Puzzles that you already have in-game crib sheets for? Puzzles that you can only skip after an unconscionably long wait? They should think again. Story, atmosphere, characters I enjoy, that's the main attraction of games for me and I have not been getting it. The stories in the casual games being churned out is wafer thin; in this game, the story is non-existant, nothing more than a hodgepodge of weird ideas that go nowhere, situations that are hinted at and never resolved. And I bought this thing? I think I'm going back to the old point and click adventures sitting on my shelf that I know are well-made and entertaining.

It sounds like you may not have played the first game in the series. If you haven't, then this game wouldn't make any sense at all. Play Twisted Lands: Shadow Town first. Insomniac is a direct sequel.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 7, 11 12:19 PM
It would be great if review threads were kept to that - reviews of games!

First of all, don't even attempt to demo this game unless you have played (and I would add understand/follow the 'part one' game (shadow town]. I played the first game, very recently and I think that helps greatly.

I LOVED the ending of shadow town - came out of nowhere a good surprise twist. So was looking forward to this game. When I found out I was playing Angel I was a bit apprehensive but alawar games, was pushing the boundaries of a story again, like they did previously.

I will be mentioning mild story spoilers but any major ones I will white out so highlight to read.
*I did not have a problem following this. It opened up saying Angel had lost her memory so the sudden jump in scenes, to me was obvious that she was remembering the events on the island.

You pick up newspapers etc throughout the game, to further the plot as well as cutscenes. In the island memory, you read different diaries from different people to further the backstory of what started the plague on the island.

major ending spoiler highlight to read - Angel had her lobotomy, the doctor told her in the beginning that was what the operation was going to be and later that she had the operation. So she didn't escape. She also had the beginning signs of the 'plague'/zombie.

*The only bit I didn't follow was the kids and the bus. Obviously the bus you see at the end was the crashed bus you start with. And why did she take them and when - before the murder on the boat?
You never did resolve why she murdered Mark.

I loved how alawar tried to make different game plots and not the same old storyline. You really had to follow closely to the storyline. So for anyone who story is important should check out these games.

The interactive bit of the game (not the puzzles) I thought was very good. Not that many puzzles but they were good. The hidden object scenes let the game down like the first one, kept repeating them some very quickly. Junk style. The game did get better after the first hour.

For unusual and well integrated storyline I give the story for the two games an A-.If they said more clearly my queries above it would be an A+.
For overall enjoyment (story and gameplay) good solid B.. Just a refreshing change from all other HOPAs. Though the first one was better.

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 5:38:17 AM PST

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Oct 7, 11 8:02 PM
I really enjoyed playing this game. The only downside is I felt the puzzles were incredibly easy. One was freaking connect the dots. The story line was a bit hard to follow but that might be my fault for taking 3 weeks to finish the game.
I'm glad I got this game as the SE I originally wanted to purchase the CE.

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Oct 18, 11 7:10 AM
Really fun! I like that there are a ton of scenes and backtracking. Not a linear game and the HOS are the right amount of difficulty. Kept my interest which is not an easy thing.

[Post New]by SonomaRose on Oct 25, 11 4:12 AM
One of the best ****/Puzzle/Adventure (yes, all of that) games I've ever played, and I've played a lot. I played in expert mode, so it was very challenging at times and I needed to look at the walkthrough to get unstuck. Think I would have been totally lost without the walkthrough - there were things that I just plain missed, though I didn't use hints. Not too many **** scenes, and I liked the puzzles and mini-games. Storyline was good, graphics great, lots of twists and turns, characters were consistent and real. Took 5-6 hours to play - I stayed up until 4am to finish it - I was that interested. Or addicted! Never played Twisted Lands: Shadow Town - I'll have to try that now that I've played this one. I give it a 5 out of 5.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Oct 31, 11 12:07 PM
a few H.O. puzzles and lots of other puzzles too
the easy version is great if u are impatient like me
i wanted the story fast
i am still not sure about the ending
will there be a part 3?
i still liked this game
at the beginning i thought the demo repeated too much of part one and i was going to skip 2 but i am glad i changed my mind

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Nov 5, 11 4:42 AM
I played both Twisted Lands games and recommend that you play Shadow Town first, if you already haven't played it, to better understand Insomniac. I think both games are fantastic and both have a twist at the end which I never saw coming.

Sunshinej

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Dec 9, 11 4:14 PM
Loving this game! It's well done and I like how the developers weave between two settings (we are not sure as we are playing which one is the "reality"). The inventory object use isn't overly obvious and there are tons of scenes to explore. The expert mode was spot on. No glints, but it didn't take too long for the hints to recharge (which I hate). I played Shadow Land before this game (loved that one also) so I understand the plot line and think the developers do a great job referencing the prior game. Thanks Alawar!

[Post New]by nigeltkatt on Jan 2, 12 5:47 PM
I loved the game. I don't normally go for horror or suspense movies in real life, but this one appealed to me for some reason. I loved the original Twisted Lands too.

Graphics were good, music wasn't annoying, suspense level was appropriate. The HOG scenes weren't too difficult or too easy and the minigames were well placed. It was nice to visit locations used in the first game.

It was fairly decent in length too.

I know I'll end up re-downloading it in a few months to replay both it and Twisted Lands I just like I reread good books from time to time.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 8, 12 3:27 PM
First it have fantastic graphics nice scenes, the story line is just a follow up of the first one, I call it a psychological triller but after a while it became just same old story of old creepy hospital theme.

Still I enjoyed playing the game.

[Post New]by analogmama on Feb 11, 12 6:08 PM
Spoilnating: The best I can figure is that Angel discovered the photo of Mark and his sister. Not knowing who the "other woman" is, she is infuriated and kills him. In close proximation of the plague island, Mark ends up running through the madness of the ending of the island. We still don't know if the mayor's illegitimate daughter is Angel's ancestor or what.

So after Mark seems trapped in realizing he's dead, we move onto Angel. Angel frees many trapped souls while trying to figure out what's going on, and this sucks her into the haunted plague island. She then faces that she's killed her beloved and he forgives her, and kaboom.

So she steals a busload of kids... Which is nice, were the kids having visit the asylum day? O.o;

Still so many splinters in the story! The fog trees, the mines, the evil cult and how and why Mark got sucked into it at all... yeesh. Part three, the explainanating would be awesome.

The puzzles were great! Moar puzzles, less HOGs would be awesome. Music was terrific, the atmosphere wasn't as spooky as the first.

mysticalla5
Stingray
Stingray
4,869 Posts

[Post New]by mysticalla5 on Mar 23, 12 3:14 PM
VALDY

I won't repeat what you said about the forums and why complain etc. You always seem to say what my thoughts are (hmmmmmm, could we be related

As for this game. I haven't quite finished it (for some reason missed it's arrival) however, I did refresh my mind with the first Twisted Lands and then saw a lot of people were confused by it's 'ending'. I also read a couple people suggesting that anyone who played the first should DEFINITELY play INSOMNIAC. I agree 100% for those that are needing 'closure' after playing the first Twisted Lands...

However, I didn't feel confused but hoped that I sequel would come out and alas I finally found it and am enjoying it very much!!!
Personally, I don't think the devs did anything amiss. I think perhaps they were thinking when they ended it as they did as , not unlike movies, a sequel can be terrific or just an attempt. This sequel REALLY does make sense and has a purpose , aside from being a great (in my humble opinion) game!!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Aug 21, 12 1:01 PM
The first time, I rushed through the game, and found it confusing and hard to play.
THIS TIME, I liked it! You never knew from one step to the next, where you would be going or what you would be doing. Alot of back and forth but that didn't bother me too much. Originally, i graded this game only a 3. Now i give it a 4.5.
I look forward to playing Twisted Lands: Origin.
Happy gaming!

[Post New]by April_Fresh on Sep 16, 12 4:12 AM
I got sucked into buying this game b/c there were so many bits of story lines I was hoping at some point they would all tie in together and make some sort of sense. The ending is very unsatisfying. I also didn't realize how far I had got through the game before the free hour was up. If I'd known I was maybe 15min. away from finding out NOTHING about what was going on, I would have passed.
The puzzles were mostly easy, the answers would be written somewhere and mostly it was just a matter of flicking through the "journal" to find the page the clue had been written on.
I wish at some point in the description of this game it would have been said that it was a sequel to another game. I probably would have played Shadow Town first if I had known. However, if the puzzles in Shadow Town are as easy as these ones I don't think I'll bother.

[Post New]by GhostBunny18 on Oct 24, 12 7:44 AM
"Sick of HOGs" "anoying creepy hospital and eyeballs" aside.

If you've placed Twisted Lands: Shadow towns and enjoyed it. This is the next one you go for. It won't make much sense if you haven't played the first one.
(spoiler free)
Basically a couple go missing while looting the ocean for ancient treasures, swept ashore by a freak wave onto a strange island. Girl disappears, man tries to find her.
and in this one.
Girl has lost her memory, has gone slightly nuts and seem to be falling through the cracks, unable to tell what is real. You flip between "twisted land" and "Hospital" trying to piece together what happened while trying to escape.

The game play is good, I loved all the unique puzzles. The scenes are beautiful and eerie... All in all this one wasn't too difficult and it links to the previous game well (it even included the bonus episode in CE!

I'm a sucker for good story lines and I thoroughly enjoyed both twisted lands shadow town and insomniac, I will be playing the prequel soon! xXx

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Nov 5, 12 8:04 PM
I bought this game and really enjoyed playing it ,my only complaint is the skip button although I only used it 3 times it took so long to fill up,it was really upsetting.

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Nov 11, 12 5:35 PM
I've read a few negative reviews on this game but I've just finished and I loved it! I know it's dark, spooky and sometimes confusing but I thought it was so well done although I'm a little biased as **** is one of my favourite developers. I didn't have to use the walkthrough as the hint system was enough and the ending was a bit abrupt so you have to use your imagination as to whether she was a ghost or not. Now I'm off to play 'Origin' or maybe I'll go back and play Shadow Town again first. Happy gaming all.

Go to: