brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by brookings on Sep 17, 11 2:15 PM
I thought I was really going to like this game. I'm glad I played awhile before buying. I became bored with the game. It seemed I needed to always look at the map to see where to go next. Once I got there, I usually didn't have what I needed in my inventory. Therefore, it was just to much running around for me.

It will probably be a likable game for most. I just became tired and bored with all that running around to all the scenes. I would give this a 3 out of 5 score.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 17, 11 3:08 PM
Can't stand reality shows...never anything "real" about them, but I play for the game, not the story. I actually found this to be sort of fun. Graphics weren't bad at all, HOGs not difficult (not many either), music appropriate, games very easy so far. Yes, a lot of shoe leather used on this one. Not a bad game for a lazy Saturday afternoon, worth the price of an SE (finally!). Looks to be a nice long game for a change too. So ready for a game like this one...definite buy for me

Krissy41
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Krissy41 on Sep 17, 11 4:26 PM
What a FANTASTIC game!!!! Took me all day to play and boy was it a fun game....Best SE game in a looooooonnnnnnngggggggg time. Kudos BF you knocked this one out of the ball park!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Sep 17, 11 4:30 PM
I am really enjoying this game. I love having the map showing me where an action is needed.I've been playing for several hours and am only about halfway through. The nice thing about this game is having a bit of a challenge but it's not too hard to figure out without going to the walkthrough. I admit I looked once when the aquarium minigame didn't make sense to me. I had everything in the right column and the rows the same colors but missed the clue which tells which row had to be which color. It was very obscure. All in all this game was a great value for me.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 17, 11 6:42 PM
Finally a SE game that is worth the price! A decent map with a journal that is helpful.
Graphics are great but could be better in the HOS. At least there is no penalty for rapid clicking and the hint refills are not too long in filling up. Although I try not to use them unless I am really desperate.

The music is okay but the sound effects are rather loud and had to turn the volume way down. Just had to find a good balance for both.

My only real complaint is it seemed to be slow in the transitioning to and from the locations and clicking on items and then clicking out of them.

I love the theme and the presentation. For me it looks like a game that has a decent length to it. A definite buy for me (with or without credits). Thank you BF for a quality SE game

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Sep 17, 11 7:11 PM
Kudos and 5 , for dev and BFG One of the best and longest games, Well worth the use of a game credit. Thanks so very much, really enjoyed. This was a surpurb game to say the least.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 17, 11 7:38 PM
Like dancemom, I don't care at all for reality shows but I did find myself really liking the game. As many of you said, the graphics aren't the best but they are okay. What I especially like is the availability of plenty of help if you need it both from the hints and from the map. Because of all the help included within the game, I doubt that I would need a walk-through. I also really like the way the map is set up. It shows where you are, where things need to be done, and with just a click of the mouse it takes you to where you want to go without having to wander all over trying to find the right place and getting lost in the process. During the trial, I didn't come across anything really dark and evil which is another plus for me. This one will be a buy for me, especially because of the bonus punches being given this week-end. Thank you Big Fish for extra punches and thank you Elephant Games for a great game!

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Sep 17, 11 7:56 PM
Well, I guess I'm in the minority here. Because I sure don't see what all of the excitement is about. It's another Elephant game where you go back and forth and back and forth endlessly for just one item at a time...the only advantage in this game is that you at least have a map. In their last game, Grim Tales (?) The Bride, I just got really annoyed at all of the backtracking, but at least the scenery was pretty. This is depressing and drab. Plus, I think it's disjointed. I had to keep hitting the hint button to figure out what to do next. This is definitely a "NO BUY" for me, and I was so looking forward to a good SE....I have 3 free games waiting to be used, and another one in the wings right now. Oh well, I can keep hoping.....

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 17, 11 7:59 PM
I don't need to write a long review either you like or not. This a good game but I would have like a better ending but expect there will be a sequeal.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Sep 17, 11 9:09 PM
I was hooked at the end of the demo, so i used a punchcard code to buy it. I am enjoying the game so far. I agree with the positive reviews, and am happy that a game of this quality is at a SE price. I do wish that the devs had included more than one mode so those who don't like sparkles would not dismiss an otherwise enjoyable game.

[Post New]by phoenix_rising on Sep 17, 11 9:41 PM
You know some people like it some don't.
But all together I find this is entertaining on a rainy day or wh en there is nothing else to do. it is realxing and sometimes frustrating when the game does not so what we thought it will do. Some games do not make the grade and other do, but hey some of us do not make the grade eather, so be nice and accept waht we have ,
Entertainment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thank this Big Fish site for the entertainment it does give me.
Hope most of you feel the same, good night,

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Sep 17, 11 10:21 PM
SeaBamboo wrote:Normally I love Elephant Games but this time I'm going to go against the grain of the most of the reviews. I was underwhelmed.

The graphics were grainy although the artwork was well done; when the cut scenes played they whooshed in & out so fast it made me nauseous.

The interactive map is excellent & the hint recharges in 30 seconds & is useful if you get stuck as it lets you know what to do next. I thought the H0 signs were a bit of a junkpile but not too difficult to find objects.

There is no choice of mode to play so expect sparkles & glints for areas of interest.

Sadly not a game for me.
Really? Thanks for posting this - these are major turn-offs for me as well. I'm usually impressed with Elephant Games but have lost interest.

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Sep 17, 11 11:36 PM
Another great game from Elephant Games and an SE to boot! I really enjoyed this game and felt like I really got my money's worth. It had really good graphics, a very good mix of **** scenes, puzzles (some were hard) and "running around" looking for items. It had a lot of different scenes which was nice so you didn't get too bored in one location. It does have a map for those who don't care for "running around". I did not use the map at all to make it more of a challenge which I feel it did. I did all of the puzzles, some of which were very tricky. Only 2 drawbacks I saw; 1 was no choice as to challenge level of casual or hard. I don't care for sparkles/glints, but that being said some of these were challenging to figure out. Also, some of the puzzle instructions could have been more clear. Overall a wonderful game to spend the day with!

ausbill
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by ausbill on Sep 18, 11 12:40 AM
i knew this game would be good when we did the trial all those months
ago, but i was wrong ,its excellent. its as good as any ce and am
surprised it isnt.good on you bigfish keep it up. i have bought
five great games this week. love from ausbill

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 18, 11 1:38 AM
This game would be a great game, good graphics, nice plot (horrible music) if it wasn't freezing, -mini game in the elevator.... I've posted in the tech Issues.

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Sep 18, 11 3:02 AM
This is a fantastic game! I have played these games for years and it is rare that one grabs you like this one does.

Good Play, good story and long play!

I give this game a 5 out of 5

mkinyon
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mkinyon on Sep 18, 11 3:23 AM
I just finished, and I have to say this is certainly the best SE I have played in a long time. It isn't quite up to the standard that Elephant Games set for itself with the Mystery Trackers series (which I consider to be second only to BF's own MCF series), but it is still excellent.

Pros:
- Many hours of gameplay even for advanced players. While other devs are releasing rather short games as CEs (*cough* *cough* ERS), Elephant does it right.
- A reasonably coherent plot with interesting twists. I know many players don't care about this, but it matters to me.
- While many of the minigames are familiar, there are some interesting variations.
- A teleport map, so that you can get to any scene you've visited immediately! Glory be! (Amazingly, even with this feature there are still reviews here complaining about backtracking.)

Cons:
- There is no "hard" mode without sparkles. For me, this isn't a dealbreaker, but it still surprised me.
- Some of the hidden object scenes are poorly designed, and the artwork isn't very good in any of them.
- I am probably alone in this, but I actually thought the map gave away too much information. It is not just a teleport map, it is also color-coded to indicate in which scenes you can perform an action and which scenes you can ignore for a while. This makes the game somewhat easier than it should be. I found myself somewhat torn between wanting to use the map to avoid clicking through too many scenes versus not wanting the map to tell me what to do next. In the end, I used it quite a bit, and still had fun. I would have liked a "hard" mode where the map does teleport you, but does not give away information about where you should go.

OK, I devoted more verbiage to the cons than the pros, but the truth is that I had a lot of fun playing this game and highly recommend it. Good job, Elephant!

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Sep 18, 11 5:47 AM
I enjoyed this game very much and felt it was a good length, taking me most of Saturday to complete. I didn't use the map often, but appreciated it being there. Yes, there is backtracking but it often reminded me of something else that needed to be done so I don't mind too much. I was frustrated by constantly seeing items I needed but not being able to pick them up, naughty developers! But the game was challenging, the puzzles were a good mix (not all to my taste but there's a skip button), and I liked the snarky little answers when you try to do the wrong thing. You have to think to solve this game! And I like that. I think the idea of an abandoned building turned into a reality TV maze is rather clever. Good value for the money.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Sep 18, 11 6:11 AM
Excellent game. It took me well over 6 hours to finish and it kept my interest the whole time. It's rare to see a game of this quality and with so many intriguing puzzles that's not a CE. This game is such a treat!

Single mode HOPA with SPARKLES. Options include Music, Sound levels, windowed mode and fullscreen. Does not play in widescreen. You play a detective sent to investigate the disappearance of game show contestants on a hit show called The Maze. You are then forced to play through the maze to try to find them. More of a search and rescue with very little detecting.

H0s scenes are standard HOG piles with no interactive items, some items are very well hidden but most are easy to find. Puzzles range from 'hey, haven't I seen this one before?' to 'what in the frack am I supposed to do with this one?' Much of the music reminded me MT: Raincliff (same dev). No live-video as in Raincliff, all vid is animated but done extremely well for this sort of game. Journal does not remain on the page you were looking at, even if no new entries were made. It always takes you back to the last page in the journal, making you have to flip constantly to find the page you want. Hint recharges quickly, but is of no use in puzzles - gives you the same info as hitting the Info button does. Give you a little too much information if you're wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out your next move. Interactive map shows you areas you can do something now, come back later, or nothing to do at all, and will take you directly to those locations. I used it a couple of times, but generally I'm a fan of the backing and forthing.

Excellent game all around!

chelogirl
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by chelogirl on Sep 18, 11 8:08 AM
just bought this game,wow..good reviews, hope it will download fast..excited to play this one.

Go to: