Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 18, 11 10:52 AM
Well, I finished the game now. And what a great game this was. It took me oodles of hours (five, I think) to finish the main game.

The bonus game was, how else should it be, somewhat disappointing after the great main game. It was also super short - 45 minutes at the most.

However, I don`t regret having bought this game as a CE - it was just too wonderful for me to have to wait for a month.

Oh, and the widescreen option in this game actually works for my widescreen laptop - something I can`t say for most games.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 18, 11 11:08 AM
peglegann wrote:FINALLY! The first time in a long time, that there is a game that could be worth the title and price of a CE!
Graphics are beautifully clear, gameplay is smooth and the girls voice does not grate on ones nerves! LOL!
Despite the sparkles, you will need to cover all of the screen with your mouse to find items, outside of the H0 scenes.
I did not notice a click penalty but then I do not click very fast anyway. So apologies if I am wrong about this.
Well worth trying the demo of this one. Looks like a long one if the map is anything to go by.
Have fun all.

Ok Peglegann, don't rub it in. LOL. I am one of the many who cannot play the last two games. I think I got to play about 10 minutes of this game before it through me out. I did though enjoy those 10 minutes. It looks to be a beautiful game and well worth the CE price. Can't wait to play it in full. Enjoy all you lucky people who haven't had problems.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Sep 18, 11 11:56 AM
Very, very nice game! Graphics absolutely gorgeous and charming. Another CE winner for the week!!! I did not think I would purchase another CE so fast, as I already purchased another a couple of days ago, but I could not resist, and no patience for the SE to come out. So despite rarely, if ever using the strategy guides, and having no personal use for the other 'extras' in the CE additions, I still purchased this one. Hope it is a decent length game.

Game ran well on my PC, so no tech glitches. Seems to be a lot of interactive game play in this CE as well, and the animations are good. Not sure if the game story will be similar to the movie long ago, but the story thus far seems interesting.

I'm kind of a graphics junkie though, so if a game is exempt from technical problems, and the graphics are superb (as in this game), I'm a real push over to purchase it. Well, ok, story and challenge are important to, but for me, good graphics make for an easy impulse buy.

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 11:58:40 AM PST

[Post New]by coffeemom2 on Sep 18, 11 12:45 PM
Trying to decide whether to buy this game as a CE or wait for the SE. Aside from the strategy guide and the short bonus scene, are there any other extras included for the CE price? I can wait for the SE if that's all there is, because I don't really use the strategy guide and it doesn't sound as if the extra scene is worth paying the extra price.

BUT, I need four more punches to fill up a card, so with the sale, I could do it with this one purchase, or two other regular games I've been wanting. Help me choose!

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Sep 18, 11 1:03 PM
I am liking this game so far, except for the h.o. scenes. There are not enough of them for me...but having said that, they are difficult. I found the first one in the cellar of the cottage to be hard because the objects were just too darn tiny and too many things period....and the ones in the blacksmith shop....well, I guess they were just to cleverly hidden for these tired old eyes. I do like the way the strategy guide works like they did with the Phantom of the Opera in that they tell you step by step how to continue on to find things to solve the next steps in puzzles or how to proceed, just in a different way than the usual walk throughs. It is nice to have a fairy tale again instead of all of the doom and gloom all of the developers seem to be puting out lately and the graphics really are beautiful, oh yes and the music is pleasant. That being said, I'm not sure yet if I'll buy it as a CE or wait until it comes out as an SE since I still have two free punch card games to use up and one full card so far this month coming and another one I'm working on now. Hope you all enjoy this game.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Sep 18, 11 2:05 PM
sunidayz wrote:After the ridiculously long download, almost 2 hrs, I played the demo and finished it with 15 mins to spare which I still hate. (Why are all developers doing that now? Cheating you out of time?) Well, anyway, I thought this game was okay. Unlike the other reviews, I don't know what it was , I guess a combination of the gameplay, the characters, the cutesy fairy who kept disappearing, that awful purple flash ,etc. The minigames were okay but not great and so were the ****'s. All that waiting was not worth it. I would rate it a 6 out of 10.
PS I'm sorry to include the time of the download into my review of the game, but I think it plays a part in the review.

Yeah, I agree, although I don't have download problems. I'm a big fan of Play Pond games but this one just didn't do it for me. Some of it didn't make much sense and how they managed to tie other fairy tales into it I'll never know. I mean it's either Beauty and the Beast or it's not . It's not Beauty and the Beast and this and that and some other thing. Definitely not a buy for me, not at any level.

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 2:09:05 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 18, 11 2:43 PM
Enjoyed the game so much that I just purchased it. Loved the other Mystery Legend game and like the puzzles too.Something a little different and thought to myself .. You deserve this today. Graphics were nice and clear. I had only 2 HOG's when I finished the trial so it is more puzzles than hidden objects.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 18, 11 2:43 PM
Enjoyed the game so much that I just purchased it. Loved the other Mystery Legend game and like the puzzles too.Something a little different and thought to myself .. You deserve this today. Graphics were nice and clear. I had only 2 HOG's when I finished the trial so it is more puzzles than hidden objects.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 18, 11 3:04 PM
Loved and purchased the other Mystery Legend game. That said, I'm not too sure about this one. Great graphics, music and game play. Not sure why others have so much trouble when downloading. I never have with any game here. Anyway, I particularly do not care for the hint system...it really isn't much help at all. Just sort of nudges you somewhere else. Not many HOGs in this one and that's mostly what I buy a "hidden object" game for. Had 10 minutes left in the demo, so not sure how long the game is. I found one of the necessary items to finish the game within my 40 minutes of play, so can't really tell. Have to think about this one. I really like what I saw, but we have way too many CE games every month and I just can't buy them all. Need more SE games so we can use our credits before they run out...I mean good and long SE games.

Hey, can someone please tell me how to "highlight" a spoiler alert so it doesn't show up unless you highlight it yourself? Can't seem to figure that one out. Thanks

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Sep 18, 11 3:10 PM
dancemom1 wrote:Hey, can someone please tell me how to "highlight" a spoiler alert so it doesn't show up unless you highlight it yourself? Can't seem to figure that one out. Thanks
Highlight the text you want to hide first. While still highlighted in gray, use the T/colored square icon above your post. (It's between the text size icon and the smiley icon.) In the drop down that shows up, choose white as the text color.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 18, 11 3:26 PM
Just too......beautiful!!! Gorgeous scenography and graphics, cleaver puzzles, enchanting fairytale, well known, but a bit different from the original, it's like entering a dream and you feel to keep playing the magic in this awsome game! I hope the end will not be disappointing!! 5+

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 3:27:26 PM PST

indigobuni
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by indigobuni on Sep 18, 11 4:46 PM
A definite buy for me. Great game. Excellent graphics and good voice overs.

One thing I like is how the Strategy Guide is set up. I had to use it once because I couldn't find something, and instead of it just writing out a complete walkthrough, it asks you questions. Then you can choose what question you need help with (like finding a piece of a puzzle), without seeing all the other walkthrough information. I hope that makes sense. It did in my head

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 18, 11 5:05 PM
I like this one quite a lot, I guess partly because I like the story of Beauty And The Beast. The graphics are outstanding-couldn't be better, in my opinion. However, the strategy guide isn't very helpful, as many have said. I prefer having pictures included with the explanation, for one thing. Also, some of the explanations aren't as clear as I would have liked. I did manage to complete the trial, except for one of the puzzles and I didn't see a "skip" option for it. I hope that it's just that I over-looked it instead of there not being one at all. For other puzzles, I did see a "skip" available. Over-all, I think the game certainly qualifies as a CE. It is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm using a couple of credits on it!

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Sep 18, 11 6:46 PM
THX everyone for ur WONDERFUL reviews>>> OFF to DEMO

I LOVE fairy tales...I'm a kid at

BBL to tell how I LOVE IT!! by what has been said I know I WILL

Happy Gaming, PEN

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 18, 11 7:55 PM
joyce2121 wrote:sfcali, welcome to the pond.

I hope you continue to do reviews because both this one
and the one you did a few days ago are great.
Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks,
Joyce

Thank you so much, Joyce! I've been an on-and-off BFG member for years but for some reason only discovered the forums recently. A lot of nice people here with very good information to share. I love it

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 18, 11 8:10 PM
coffeemom2 wrote:Trying to decide whether to buy this game as a CE or wait for the SE. Aside from the strategy guide and the short bonus scene, are there any other extras included for the CE price? I can wait for the SE if that's all there is, because I don't really use the strategy guide and it doesn't sound as if the extra scene is worth paying the extra price.

BUT, I need four more punches to fill up a card, so with the sale, I could do it with this one purchase, or two other regular games I've been wanting. Help me choose!

I see several really good reasons to go for the CE version, ranked in order:

#1 - Don't have to wait to enjoy. It is just one of those games that, once you begin, you probably won't want to stop...it's too good to wait to play.

#2 - The extra chapter is really interesting plus it provides a super-satisfying resolution to the story that the SE does not provide. It's not just a few extra games puzzles onto the end... it's more like the true ending.

#3 - I think the strategy was interesting and helpful. I appreciated the format -- nothing is revealed that you do not want revealed so if you only need a push in the right direction without getting spoilers for everything else, then you don't get it.

#4 - One of the extras is the text version of the classic fairytale (although not the original telling). While it is purely text, it is nice to reread the story of Beauty and the Beast before (or after or during) playing the game based on it.

#5 - Scores. Perhaps completely fictitious, though -- I managed to be number one on the list of high scores. What a coincidence! Ha ha. (Okay, this reason is very low on the list of why to get the CE, but it's still another reason!)

If you are a big fan of really good HOG/adventures, you won't be sorry you got this... it's worth 4 ordinaries in one so it has to be better than the other two you would've gotten. Plus, since it will fill your punch card, CoffeeMom, you'll get one of those other two you were considering as part of the deal.

;-)

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 8:11:56 PM PST

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 18, 11 8:12 PM
indigobuni wrote:A definite buy for me. Great game. Excellent graphics and good voice overs.

One thing I like is how the Strategy Guide is set up. I had to use it once because I couldn't find something, and instead of it just writing out a complete walkthrough, it asks you questions. Then you can choose what question you need help with (like finding a piece of a puzzle), without seeing all the other walkthrough information. I hope that makes sense. It did in my head

It makes sense and I agree 100%!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Sep 18, 11 8:28 PM
For those still having slow download issues... contact customer service about the rollback GM available. With the new one my DL times were abysmal. But with the rollback I'm back to under 5 minute DL times which is much much better. (I just downloaded the demo for this game and it took about 45 seconds literally.) I do have a fast connection with 60 Mbps so that factors in but with the new GM before the rollback it was hours.

Hope that helps someone.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Sep 18, 11 9:10 PM
Overall a very good game. I give it a B++.
And my grades can go from A+ to Z-!

Though a tad psychotic in spots and getting really heavy near the end, it resolved well. The whole feel of the game remained constant. That's not an easy feat. That was Elephant, right? Good job by them.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Sep 18, 11 9:14 PM
Oh, my! What a lovely game. I just finished the demo and I will most certainly buy it using my 2 credits. it is refreshing to see a game that is not "dark an eerie".

Go to: