keeliesnanna
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by keeliesnanna on Sep 23, 11 9:45 AM
Has any one got any idea of the length of this game and has anyone completed this game yet and if they did how long did it take
I am just wondering if i can justify spending money on another CE or am i wasting my money

thanks for any help and have a great day all

janierae
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by janierae on Sep 23, 11 9:53 AM
I guess I am going to be in the minority here because I like the game and I'm going to purchase the CE. I like the graphics, puzzles and the hidden object scenes are a bit of a challenge but isn't that what we like, a challenge? I noted one post that the game took over 5 hours. The music is nice too. I don't care much for the story but that is a minor issue for me. It doesn't seem too easy to me and I am going to rely on a post that said the puzzles get more difficult. Plus we get achievements, which doesn't mean a lot, but still....they're fun.

harlequen
Catfish
Catfish
1,724 Posts

[Post New]by harlequen on Sep 23, 11 10:06 AM
Thank You textrekkie for The great review, after reading all The bad review I almost put it on My list to only purchase it as a DD, then I read Your review and I'm going to get The CE when I have enough credits

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 23, 11 10:46 AM
textrekkie wrote:Hi Valdy! Here is what I wrote about the bonus chapter. Let me know if you need more information.

The bonus chapter is an extended ending, sort of a "just how strong is this demon" kind of thing, so it's not necessary to enjoy the game on its own, but it is really good. It takes place mostly in the upstairs of the house and it is not something that the developer just slapped together to get a bonus chapter done. It was given as much thought as the rest of the game and has good puzzles and objectives - so it is a very solid piece of work. (Kudos to the developer for that!)

Oooh... you are tempting me to buy the CE when I was thinking of waiting for the SE.
Thanks so much for the info, Textrekkie. I do like the game and really enjoyed the puzzles as well - HOS were a bit hard, but otherwise loved it.

*after 5 seconds of hard thinking she has decided - and it`s going to be....*

I am going to get the CE. Thanks to you, TT.

ETA: Unfortunately, I got a black screen and an "access violation error" coming up when I tried to play the full version. There was nothing at all wrong with the trial version, but I tried twice to play the full version, and can`t. What a bummer.

I only ever got an "access violation error" once with another game, and that was while playing the game, and settled itself when I went out and came back in. This game doesn`t even give me a picture. *sigh*

Edited on 09/23/2011 at 11:22:26 AM PST

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 23, 11 11:53 AM
Good enough game - really liked Kate Arrow and bought it, but that was a long time ago and I think I've got more demanding since. I don't feel this qualifies as a CE classification. I found HOG scenes really tricky, but puzzles v. easy. Music OK, don't care whether there's voiceovers or not, in fact best not as mostly they are quite irritating, rubbish accents. So anyway, usual storyline yes, and I have already figured what's going to happen when you release poor old Jennifer (?). Might get the SE version at some stage just to see if I'm right. A few glitches tho'. Slow to move between scenes, HOG scenes slow to react when you have found an item and gameplay generally a bit stuttery. Hopefully that will be sorted out by SE version, but I'll play the demo of that first to make sure.

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Sep 23, 11 12:40 PM
this might sound stupid but make sure GM is closed right clicked to open game from deskstop click open as its opening keep clicking and the game will go throught I don;t know why it works that way that has been the only way I have gotten it to work It is such a long game last night I was afraid to close it down cause I knew I would have a problem starting again so left the game paused all night then this morning had to shut game down had to check emails I forgot to close GM before I opened from desktop got the CODE closed GM did what I said to do and it worked Finished I am not sure hours since I had to leave it running It is not a bad game the only reason it is worth being a CE is because of length So IMO if you want a long IHOG game then I would get it Otherwise wait for SE or DD or even COTD BORING IMO lots of HOGs wich I like but didn't keep my interest I hope Sundays or Mondays CE will be better Have a good day to everyone

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 23, 11 1:15 PM
I really enjoyed this game! The graphics were crystal clear and very pretty throughout the game. The adventure elements were well thought out and flowed nicely, with a good balance of puzzles and hidden object scenes. It was fairly easy, but did provide some level of challenge on the advanced mode. The game also had a good length with an excellent bonus section and achievement awards which I do enjoy in the collectors edition games. The story was not as developed as it could have been, but the game had such a pleasant low key atmosphere and music, I found I did not care so much about the story elements. I also very much appreciated the aspect ratio adjustment in options.

The game did have some distinct technical glitches - about every third time I would open it I would get kicked out with an access violation error. But when I reopened, it would let me back in, so that just turned into a minor annoyance. It also seemed to stall a bit on some puzzles and scene changes. The worst part certainly was the strategy guide, which was laid out very nicely, but forced you back to page one every single time you opened it - not good!! Also, there was one terrible flashing light sequence in one of the puzzles - I really wish developers would think twice about horrible bright flashing lights in these games!

Overall, however, it was a very well-made and enjoyable game.

I am surprised at so many general negative comments on this one. I bet the developers are scratching their heads wondering why the theme of their game is suddenly not what people want, considering the amount of developers who have great success with similar story lines. I highly prefer spooky mansions, estates, towns, amusement parks, asylums, (etc.) to most other themes (with the exception of a good fairy tale/enchantment theme). So this game gets my vote for a decent theme. True it was not the most exciting or original game with every bell and whistle available, but it certainly was a solid game with some great elements. I think as a CE, it offered just as much, if not more, than some recent games offered as CEs. I look forward to more from this developer!

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 23, 11 1:17 PM
Well I won't be buying the CE of this game, maybe as a standard edition. With no voice overs, grainy graphics, no map and a strategy guide that keeps going back to page 1, it is just not worth the price of a CE.

A CE should have more bells and whistles on it. I don't like buying a game without knowing how many chapters there are-not that knowing that piece of information is really helpful as to how long it would take to complete it but at least it gives you some idea.

Yes it does seem to be a very familiar plot and scenarios and locations and a bit boring at times. For once though I would like to see a "dark themed" game with bright, crisp graphics instead of these dreary dark and grainy ones. I know you use this to help set the scene and create the ambiance but must the graphics be so dark?

A note to developers, why do you insist on Achievement awards? Granted I can play the game without having to "achieve" them but it takes away from my enjoyment if I have to worry about a misclick penalty or using a hint or skipping a puzzle just so I can earn some so-called award. At least this game doesn't insult my intelligence by making an award for something that needs to be done in the game anyways (like using a orb or finding the way to cross the river, etc. I do however enjoy having to find collectible objects during the course of the game. This is all in my own humble opinion of course and I realize other gamers probably enjoy the challenge of the achievement awards. Thank you though for putting an achievement link on the opening page so a person is aware of it BEFORE they start playing it. I can remember with past games they didn't do it and before you knew it, the game stated "You won an achievement for using no hints in a HOS". That's when you found out there were awards and lost out on a few after the game started.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 23, 11 5:12 PM
Valdy wrote: ETA: Unfortunately, I got a black screen and an "access violation error" coming up when I tried to play the full version. There was nothing at all wrong with the trial version, but I tried twice to play the full version, and can`t. What a bummer.

I only ever got an "access violation error" once with another game, and that was while playing the game, and settled itself when I went out and came back in. This game doesn`t even give me a picture. *sigh*

I got that a couple of times when I started the game also. But then when I went back in, everything was fine.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 23, 11 5:14 PM
keeliesnanna wrote:Has any one got any idea of the length of this game and has anyone completed this game yet and if they did how long did it take
I am just wondering if i can justify spending money on another CE or am i wasting my money

thanks for any help and have a great day all

In my reveiw on the previous page, I posted my playing times for regular and bonus round.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 23, 11 6:00 PM
I haven´t even played the demo of this game, but let me say one thing:

I get **** tired of evangelicals here whining about so called 'demons', about other nonsense they try to defend, about occult things that might hurt them... lets face it, its your own issue, its nothing BFG is responsible to.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Sep 23, 11 6:20 PM
Simply put this was an incredibly enjoyable game.

Unlike other posters this game brought me hours of play time. I am not a player who likes to rush through a game. I enjoy taking in the wonderful graphics, clever puzzles and just breathing and listening to the music provided. If a journal is provided, I read every word. After all a team put a lot of time in bringing us the game.

While not all games are equal, this game met my personal expectations.

The graphics were excellent. Music was terrific. Story pages informative.

I chose to play this game at its most difficult level. Normally I play a game for the first time at the casual level. I was challenged but not overly so. In fact one can play this game with out ever using the Strategy Guide.

While it took me a number of hours to complete I was satisfied with the hours spent. I am hoping one of these days that a game will be produced that it will take the most seasoned hidden object gamer days to complete. Should one come my one you can bet that you would never here a complaint "the game was to long".

Thanks to the entire creative team for bringing us this game.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 23, 11 7:51 PM
well, i couldnt waqit for the regular edition...this game is just too much fun...and its smooth moving and lovely and scary as all!!!!...so now i will play the C.E. and am darn happy about it...going to wait on Beauty and her beast!

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 23, 11 7:52 PM
well, i couldnt waqit for the regular edition...this game is just too much fun...and its smooth moving and lovely and scary as all!!!!...so now i will play the C.E. and am darn happy about it...going to wait on Beauty and her beast!

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Sep 23, 11 10:42 PM
Read the initial reviews (usually bad); tried the demo; bought the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Played it over as period of two days. I guess it took me 7 hours or so played on the most difficult level. My only complaint is the same as others, guide goes back to page 1.

Many people complain about the hidden object scenes containing the same ole same ole objects. Has anyone else noticed that those exact objects show up in so many of the games that are produced by many different developers. Makes me wonder if somewhere there is a standard book of objects that developers use. I don't mean just a bunch of bottles or locks or butterflies, I mean exactly drawn objects down to size, shape and color. I play "Clutter" a lot on the nights I can't sleep and see many of these exact objects show up in so many games. This is why I am familiar with how they look. Saw an odd shaped magenta colored bottle in this game that is in Clutter. Otherwise I would never notice it. Makes it a little more fun for me when I spot an object that I know is in Clutter. Just an observation, take it for what its worth.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 24, 11 2:31 AM
textrekkie wrote:
Valdy wrote: ETA: Unfortunately, I got a black screen and an "access violation error" coming up when I tried to play the full version. There was nothing at all wrong with the trial version, but I tried twice to play the full version, and can`t. What a bummer.

I got that a couple of times when I started the game also. But then when I went back in, everything was fine.

Textrekkie, I uninstalled the game, and got rid of the folder in the "Roaming" section as well, and reinstalled the game. I clicked on "Play" and the game worked!

However, I wanted to be sure it works each time, so I left the game again, and then clicked on "Play" again and once again got the black screen with the "Access Violation Error" message.

I have a feeling that IF I want to be able to play the game I will have to do it without leaving it. And that`s not going to happen.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 24, 11 12:19 PM
Riverman73 wrote:I haven´t even played the demo of this game, but let me say one thing:

I get **** tired of evangelicals here whining about so called 'demons', about other nonsense they try to defend, about occult things that might hurt them... lets face it, its your own issue, its nothing BFG is responsible to.

I'm sorry to hear that you are tired of others posting their own opinions about a game. The last time I looked, this was a place to post a review about a game. If the subject matter is offense to someone, that is a part of a review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of a game. However, this is not the place to complain about someone's review or their own personal beliefs.

Personally, I get tired of people complaining about "evangelicals". However, I usually do not feel the need to post anything about it. I did in this case because there have been so many nasty comments made to others who are offended by the subject matter. If you are tired of reading the complaints, simply stop reading them and scroll by. It really is that simple. If you have a comment to make about the game fine, but please do not use this thread to be derogatory towards others.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 24, 11 12:25 PM
I was able to play the first 15 minutes of the game demo. I had to leave my computer for a bit so I exited the demo. When I went back to finish, I kept getting the access violation code and a black screen. Odd because it worked the first time I tried to play. I deleted and reinstalled as others recommended, but nothing. I opened it both with the without the GM, as others recommended and again.....nothing.

As far as the game goes, I agree with others who feel like they have been there done that. I, too, and getting a little tired/bored with the same evil demon or weird asylum storyline. From what I did play, though, the graphics were pretty clear and the gameplay was easy. I played in the advanced mode and it was still really easy to figure out what to do when.

If BF can get the bugs out of the demo for the SE, I will try to demo it again, but otherwise, I won't waste my time. I do try to give every game a chance which is the only reason why I will demo a game with this subject matter. Still, with all the bugs, it isn't even worth another go at the demo.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 24, 11 2:23 PM
rosie28sammy wrote:
Riverman73 wrote:I haven´t even played the demo of this game, but let me say one thing:

I'm sorry to hear that you are tired of others posting their own opinions about a game. The last time I looked, this was a place to post a review about a game. If the subject matter is offense to someone, that is a part of a review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of a game. However, this is not the place to complain about someone's review or their own personal beliefs.

Personally, I get tired of people complaining about "evangelicals". However, I usually do not feel the need to post anything about it. I did in this case because there have been so many nasty comments made to others who are offended by the subject matter. If you are tired of reading the complaints, simply stop reading them and scroll by. It really is that simple. If you have a comment to make about the game fine, but please do not use this thread to be derogatory towards others.

Well said!

fairjuno
Clownfish
Clownfish
936 Posts

[Post New]by fairjuno on Sep 24, 11 3:27 PM
rosie28sammy wrote:

I'm not sure I really blame him. I know people are entitled to their own opinions, but why whine about it? If they don't like the game, then move on.

Go to: