A Good But Sappy Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Oct 4, 11 7:04 AM
Okay, I finished the game and surprisingly I liked it, but I would have liked it much better if it had a different theme to it. This theme was a bit sappy, but the gameplay was very good. It's a bit on the short side, but not that short. Also, I don't want to give anything away, but the ending was a real copout. Talk about tearjerkers.

Anyway, I would like to see more games with this play mechanic, but with a different theme.

Edited on 10/04/2011 at 7:05:13 AM PST

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

Re:Reviews for Love Story: The Beach Cottage

[Post New]by Janie42 on Oct 4, 11 9:08 AM
Game is very short: max 3 hours for me...
& that's no puzzle skips or using walkthrough--& I'm no fast player either.

After a charming start, lovely graphics, vibrant & clear...
the wheels start coming off the cart.

A few fresh puzzles (fun, contextual, even unique), yet most are well-known repeats.
Worse, devs 'pad' game length with lots of rubbish to & fro running from one end of game world to other just to collect each time a single inventory item.

Also, little effort is made for most puzzles to appear in a story-driven context. Plus, story's conclusion is abrupt & hardly makes sense if one thinks about it.

IMO, quality/challenge/content decline as game progresses. Short length made me frustrated for the 1st time; usually I'm ok w/shorter games, so long as they give quality in story, challenges & puzzles.
This one, not so much so.
I won't rush to buy this devs' next game, sadly.

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 6:25:58 AM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Oct 4, 11 6:48 PM
Simply lovely! Delightful! Fantastic sound track! Art work superb!

The game was cleverly designed. I started to play the non-expert version and quickly switched to the expert mode. This mode added more challenge.

While the game play was short I enjoyed every moment.

Job well done. Thanks for bringing this production to us.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Oct 4, 11 7:53 PM
I just completed Love Story and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some creative puzzles. Very few Hidden Object games. Much more an adventure story than anything else.

Biggest negative was the lack of a map. Lots of going to and fro and a map would have been helpful. Not a huge big deal though. Other negative was game length which I found to be quite short.

Biggest positive was the the gorgeous graphics. Absolutely one of the best games ever in this regard. Second most positive aspect was the story. Very much a grabber. And yes, I'll admit to shedding a tear or two.

Definitely worth buying. One of those rare games I believe I'll remember for quite awhile afterwards.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Oct 5, 11 2:33 AM
Loved this game! Great story....great graphics.....interesting puzzles.....good interactive scenes. The only thing I didn't like is it was WAY too short. I finished in a little over 2 hours on expert mode without skipping any puzzles. I only had to go to the walkthrough once (couldn't find a piece I needed). If it had been a longer game, I would have given it a 10 out of 10, but since it was so short, I have to give it a 9. More games like this, Big Fish, please! But longer!

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 5, 11 12:07 PM
OK not my favorite but a nice change of pace. I agree with most of the comments. It took me about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to play/finish.

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Oct 5, 11 12:57 PM
Finished the game! This was a great love story Once I figured out which way the game was going I was going through it so fast because I just wanted to get to the end!!!!! I cryed like I just read a great love novel or watched a great love movie!!! Yes it wasn't that long but I LOVED IT No regrets whether I would of purchased the game or used a PCC this was a heart filled love story turned into a Hog adventure game LOVED It I can't express that enough Not being discremetive against our men here at the pond but ladies please buy this game It is worth it

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 5, 11 1:55 PM
Sorry to be Debbie Downer here, but this game just didn’t grab me at all. The music pretty much drove me nuts, the object locating and puzzles on “Expert” mode as well as within the mini-games were all terribly simple.

However, it must be said that the graphics are undeniably well-done, and I was especially impressed with how the ocean sparkled! Bright, clear and colorful graphics throughout, including the hidden object screens. So, kudos to the graphic artists!

That being said, though, I found the game overly sentimental and cliché. The plot is pretty much “Message in a Bottle” meets ‘The Notebook”, so if you enjoyed those films, or the books upon which they were based, then I think you’ll enjoy this game.

It is definitely lighter fare and if you either don’t like the spooky games, or just need a break from them, then this may be the game for you.

It’s just not a game for me.

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nell50 on Oct 5, 11 10:15 PM
Too simple a game and storyline for me, although it is sweet. Only took 3 hours to complete with breaks in between. And had these people not heard of Facebook/Friends Reunited to find each other alive?? lol - would have saved all those wine bottles in the sea and saved the planet.

Was worth using a punchcard credit on as it was very relaxing, but would not pay full price.

judieau
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by judieau on Oct 6, 11 12:22 AM
Sigh! Such a beautiful love story and what a wonderful game! I really got engrossed in this one as it touched feelings, which games very rarely do. The graphics were awesome and the whole game was very gentle and yet intriguing. Well done Developers!

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 12:24:38 AM PST

[Post New]by Huntleyhimnher on Oct 6, 11 5:39 AM
It was a buy for us!! Its so sweet and relaxing, playing on expert doesn't make it impossible but does increase the challenge. I look forward to seeing the story unfold!!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Oct 6, 11 8:58 AM
This is the first love story game I've enjoyed enough to purchase. I agree with everyone else it could have been a lot longer. The hint system was great for nudging me in the right direction. I almost didn't try it because I have really disliked these games in the past but I'm not sorry I got this one. The graphics were wonderfully clear and the story was good but implausable.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Oct 6, 11 10:46 PM
Oh, wow... really enjoyed this from beginning to end; in fact, I didn't want it to end so soon.... would love more games like this one, , sigh.

Samie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Samie on Oct 7, 11 4:14 AM
Add me to those who loved this game! I just wish there was more!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Oct 7, 11 8:22 AM
I just finished the trial and overall it's a pleasant game, heading in the same direction as the other (finding your true love from the past). It's pretty easy to play, the hint button is useful if you're stuck, and I used it a couple of times. However, to the developers: this woman is supposedly in her late 50's if my reading of someone else's review is correct -- although her hair is admirably bouncy, facially she looks like she is in her 70's and folks, no one living in the United States says "fiddlesticks." That was getting really annoying -- the last time I remember hearing that was likely from a 1930's or 1940's movie -- think Auntie Em. I might buy this as a DD.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Oct 8, 11 3:02 PM
Played the demo, and will be buying. I'm tired of all the same dark games, and rescuing too many people. Good change of pace for me. I'd love to see more light hearted games like this one.

sheltie07
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Reviews for Love Story: The Beach Cottage

[Post New]by sheltie07 on Oct 8, 11 5:53 PM
bfgRhone wrote:Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Love Story: The Beach Cottage? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/180462.page>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

sheltie07
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by sheltie07 on Oct 8, 11 5:55 PM
I just finished this game and I loved it.........................................
these are the kind of games I enjoy..............a good
feeling game.

SpookyPigdog
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by SpookyPigdog on Oct 8, 11 10:19 PM
I loved this game and enjoyed it as much as the first one.

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Oct 9, 11 9:58 AM
I have not finished the game yet, but wanted to add my impressions so far. Lovely game! I adore the scenery and the music. It's nice to have a break from the darker themed games, and this is a pleasant one that tugs at the heartstrings as well.

While I'm finding the game itself on the easy side, I'm taking my time and enjoying it. The graphics are outstanding.

Go to: