Reviews for Fairway Collector's Edition

[Post New]by justannie on Oct 2, 11 7:52 PM
TeamSD wrote:So HAPPY and EXCITED to see this, the first CE which is not TM or HOG and the very first non-HOG CE this year!

Wondering why a card game is a CE, the quality is so high and the game is so cute. Graphics are colorful and very clear, with cool animations and hilarious beaver Not much story but there're actually few cutscenes! Voice overs are very well done, music are great! I loved the first one and i like this one much more, there're more new bonuses, items in shops and options to change your cards' pack and custom cursor! Mini games are fun and easy.... The CE version included more courses (more levels) to play but i'm not quite sure whether the extra mode is a bonus or not? Definite BUY for me

PS. The game is really entertaining and insanely addictive!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Music: A
Bonuses: A*
Mini Games: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Re:Reviews for Fairway Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Coronagold on Oct 2, 11 8:35 PM
Yeah. Can you say "tenure"?

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Oct 3, 11 12:31 AM
Well, some negative reviews, but I quite like the game. The cards could have been smaller, they are the same as the GM, huge, but I suspect this is for those people with poorer eyesight. There is a lot to this game when you get further into it and not so easy either. There are many hours of gameplay.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 3, 11 10:01 AM
This is a really great, very addictive game with great replay value and awesome game length. For me its a buy - as the CE

Solice
Clownfish
Clownfish
676 Posts

[Post New]by Solice on Oct 3, 11 12:30 PM
megwoman25 wrote:My first thoughts were the same as everyone else's. why is a card game a CE? But after demoing it, I can tell you exactly why. There are 8 pages of courses to play but the bonus play is pages 9-16 of 9 courses each.

This is correct, thank you Meg!

There are a total of 81 additional courses in the CE version of Fairway that will not be available in the standard version. This is true for Mac as well as PC.

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Oct 3, 11 1:12 PM
I tried it right away as I like this kind of Tripeaks style solitaire and love, love, love the original Fairway Solitaire. I played the demo through, and spent some time in the fever option as well.

Sadly, this edition isn't as charming nor as immersive for me as the original. I enjoyed the comments more of the original announcer, Aussie Ben Palmer and his sidekick announcer, Tommy. It felt more like they were there commenting on the tournament and having a really good time doing so. Also, I liked the touches in the original that made me feel like I was part of the tournaments- like the newspaper headlines, varied course goals, the clubhouse opener, and the golf character that visually showed the power-ups as you purchased them from the golf shop.

This one, I might get as SE, as DD, or perhaps for iPad. But not a "must-buy" as it would have been if as charming as the original.

Also, the emphasis on the Gopher, is not important to my game.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 3, 11 1:28 PM
Solice wrote:
megwoman25 wrote:My first thoughts were the same as everyone else's. why is a card game a CE? But after demoing it, I can tell you exactly why. There are 8 pages of courses to play but the bonus play is pages 9-16 of 9 courses each.

This is correct, thank you Meg!

There are a total of 81 additional courses in the CE version of Fairway that will not be available in the standard version. This is true for Mac as well as PC.

well if you have the original fairway, you also have your bonus courses, which would not bother me if the game promo said "original fairway is the bonus ce content, or if there were not a hole glitch starteng in level 6, making you have to retart your game after every hole, or if any number of things , that could have made this excellent......

all in all this is my last ce, too many dissappointments

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 3, 11 1:35 PM
Good game play. If I did not already have the original I would have purchased it. It just does not have the extra oomph that would qualify it as a CE. If it comes out as an SE i will consider it.

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Oct 3, 11 2:50 PM
Bella - are you saying the bonus section is the original game? So, if already have fairway 1 - you will have the same game twice??

Videohound
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Videohound on Oct 3, 11 3:06 PM
After reading a bunch of comments and reviews I decided to try it out and see for myself. I loved the original FS and still play it pretty much everyday. I had high hopes for this version that the reviews and comments seemed to crush. But I wanted to see for myself. Turns out everyone was right - this version is bad. Don't like the announcers, graphics, cards, the fact that the courses are not 9 and 18 holes. Even if this was a regular price and not a CE I don't think I'd buy it.

BIG disappointment!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 3, 11 4:08 PM
Cptduzer wrote:Bella - are you saying the bonus section is the original game? So, if already have fairway 1 - you will have the same game twice??

i havent played them all yet, but they are all the same name, and in the same order as the original, and look the the same layouts,,, but its kinda hard to tell cause you cant have 2 games open at the same time...i will try to check level by level later when turtle comes over and compare them side by side

the layout is the same, jusy looked

Edited on 10/03/2011 at 4:15:03 PM PST

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Oct 3, 11 6:55 PM
I skimmed page one so if this was stated already I apologize.

But man this game is slow. I do not have the latest and greatest computer, but it's still a fast machine that I keep running smoothly. This game lagged pretty noticeably.

Also, I own Fairway Solitare which is a MUCH superior game. It took me a year to beat it because some of the challenges I'd have to replay several times (and with all the other games on here, I got sidetracked!). The other game may not have as many features to buy, and you may have to earn the right to buy them at various points in the game, but having them all readily available in this sequel rather takes away the fun (for me).

I also found the announcer extremely grating on my nerves, but then, that might just be me.

The graphics are nice, and they are well done. I just don't think this game is on par with the original (no pun intended).

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 3, 11 7:08 PM
As this game is by BFG Studios, I was expecting glitches and I was not expecting the best value for my money.
I was expecting to update my game in a few days time (at least once) and probably have very little offered in the way of bonus-
Another CE to grab my money..

I am unwell right now and a solitaire game was exactly what I felt like playing so bought this.

I am really enjoying it. I (and obviously in the minority) liked the first one for about 2 days and then got bored with it- the interface is now old and I don't enjoy the old one anymore.

With the new game, I really like the LARGE cards- this makes a huge difference to me (poor eyesight).
I also like the expert gold stars and that is what has me addicted to this game- I must get 3 expert stars before moving on...

I am glad that the old courses are in this new one as I do not want to play the older style game with the small cards,

I do not like the in game advertising- very tacky.

I also think the cursor is a bit too sensitive.. a couple of times I have gone to continue a course and instead of the options to continue or replay- the course has restarted and I lost all my progress which is really distressing when you are playing for the gold stars-.

I think it would have added extra fun to keep the goals varied to unlock courses as per the old one.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase and know I will get hours of play so cannot complain- just want glitches fixed asap please

[Post New]by talullah8 on Oct 4, 11 9:32 AM
I'm really enjoying this game - always liked the first one and I am happy with this one too. Fun to play.

Secora3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Secora3 on Oct 4, 11 11:39 AM
I played the game for the time allowed for the demo which for me took only 34 minutes, would have liked to play longer. enjoyed the graphics and cut scenes, much clearer cards than the first one but won't pay the CE price for this, will definately buy the SE though

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Oct 4, 11 12:31 PM
I have been waiting for the sequel for a long time. I bought Fairway Solitaire in May 2009. Have played it completely through at least 5 times. I'm glad the sequel is finally here.

Fairway was one of my favorite card games and the only one with a sequel. Faerie Solitaire threatened a sequel but never came through. Another all-time fave of mine broke with Win 7/64, Tri-Peaks 2: Quest for the Ruby Ring. Tri-Peaks had some really funny stuff in it. I'll really miss it.

To get back on track It was an immediate buy for me. As a matter of fact I bought it via my iPhone to DL later.

[Post New]by musicgirl2011 on Oct 4, 11 8:41 PM
I am a huge fan of Fairway so I bought this right away. The full CE version has over 400 courses - I don't know what some one else would think but that is long to me - courses range between 3-9 holes. While the 3 ones are short, they are not always easy. Try it with no irons and a bad card selection and you won't be getting three stars immediately.

I did not play the demo because I loved the first one. I think the graphics here are far superior as are the voice overs.

the CE price didn't bother me - in fact, it put me 1 game from a freebee next month so I am glad.

Happy gaming, fellow fishies

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Oct 5, 11 4:38 AM
Couldn't agree more with those saying the charm and fun (and quality and sense of humor, and nice effects and cool golfshop with upgrades that actually work, and logical plus diverse goals...) are gone from this version.

The original was SO MUCH BETTER, I'd really invite everyone who has tried this without knowing about the original to go for it.

As RyeMcLaughlin mentioned ( review, by the way) the developers are different. It has also been pointed out some of the courses are flabbergastingly short and that there are less courses than in the original.
The voice overs (except for the accent of the Highlander, and that gets upsetting after a short while) add absolutely nothing, especially because the only slightly funny comments I heard were taken from the original game. The comentators also speak less (in this version that's actually a plus ); and are more repetitive than before.
I thought the Fever mode was pointless (so much better were the Mercury Courses of the original), the minigames are a bad copy of the old version's; despite I bouight several upgrades at the shop I couldn't get them to work. Is that locked content for the CE or just a glitch?
The goals in the original game were well thought; they varied from course to course and had a gradual increase of difficulty. Here the tutorial levels are a joke (and a boring one, not even a funny one), and there seems to be little logic on the difficulty increase. As far as I got, the goals were always the same (finish on or under par).
Also, as far as I saw you get little bonuses and no cash purses, which is something that happened in the original and that happens in the pro golf circuit.

I also thought the design and artwork were far better in the old one. I understand big cards may be a plus for poor eye-sight, but in my case I got a headache (maybe the colors/brightness?)

I played the hour trial. But would not even buy it as a DD. The old version I've kept playing non-stop for several years. That says it all.
All in all this is so much less versatile game.

Edit: Typo

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 10:47:59 AM PST

[Post New]by cdnbacons on Oct 6, 11 9:51 AM
I am very disappointed in Fairway CE after playing the trial version. I was really looking forward to more Fairway but alas, I won't be buying. They seem to have lost the original 'class' of the game. Where is the option to play on Full Screen or not, or even minimize to enable access to other places on my computer without having to quit out of the game?

Perhaps should have partnered with Grey Alien again.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Oct 6, 11 3:40 PM
I really hate writing this review... but if I can help one person avoid the disappointment I felt it will be worth it.

I have to say that I am so disappointed in this second Fairway Solitaire. My hopes were so high since I really, really, enjoyed the first Fairway Solitaire.

Comparing this version to the first version is certainly a legitimate way to base an opinion.

I have played through the first 5 courses and my opinion is not good...

This game feels like it was not developed by the same development house. The look & feel are totally alien compared to the first version.

The voice overs are lame compared to the first version.

The cartoon "beaver" (supposed to be a gopher?) is flat annoying.

Course play is 3-hole, 4-hole (so far) How many do I have to play before 9-holes or 18-holes becomes available? I'm not sure I can even last much longer anyway... I might just have to write this CE off as "Undesirable" and just stop playing it.

No story that I can discern.

I absolutely wasted my $ on the CE version and unless it improves measurably, as I progress, Right now I feel like it wouldn't even be worth the SE price.

It is my own damn fault for trusting BF to release a sequel that was as high quality as the first version and especially buying without trying first. I mean it's not like they are releasing MCF...

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 3:53:40 PM PST

Go to: