VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet

[Post New]by VTCT on Oct 5, 11 4:39 PM
I was wondering why it happens that you are using the demo and then it stops even when you have 11 minutes. This isn't a full hour demo and should be stated as it.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 5, 11 4:56 PM
Euskalduna wrote:No, not for me, even with good reviews. It's a romantic story and I tend to avoid them like a hot potato. I have not a single trace of "romantic" in me and I am bored to tears with this kind of games.

But whoever likes them, good gaming and enjoy!

Just a note, Euska--this is not a "romance," not in the terms of modern romance. Romeo & Juliet is actually a tragedy.

I don't know how closely the game follows the play, as I haven't played that far, but this is so...not....a typical modern romance.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Oct 5, 11 6:50 PM
Like a lot of the other fishies, I found it extremely annoying to find objects and be told I don't need them yet, then have to go back and get them later. I'd prefer to pick them up and figure out what to do with them later. Also, loading between scenes was very slow, and too many dings and voiceovers for my taste.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Oct 5, 11 6:52 PM
Thanks, Pepper. I know it's Shakespeare and I like his plays, in fact, I have read them all, even the really boring and don't tell me he did not write some really dull.

What I meant is that games regarding love & lovers, even if based on tragedies like Shakespeare's R and J, don't say anything to me. And with all due respect to the Bard, Romeo & Juliet is, well, let's say foolish. (My very, very personal opinion).

But again, whoever likes this kind of games, hurrah!

Edited to add: If any dev decides to make a game based on Macbeth, for instance, then I would be the first in line to buy it. That calls to my dark side, but that's me.

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 6:58:35 PM PST

sixmilecoss
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by sixmilecoss on Oct 5, 11 7:57 PM
just out of curiosity, where did you find a skip button? not that it matters, I deleted it after about ten minutes.

Rhysdux wrote:Annoying as hell. The minigames come with only the most cursory of instructions, and the hint button is irksome. Anne-the-Hint-Giver doesn't tell you what you should do or show you where a missing object is; she simply says, "Have you already tried there?" and shows you a miniature of a scene...often, the one you just left. Yes, I KNOW I need something in that scene--would you mind telling me where it is or how to get it?

I skipped through most of the minigames to see if the game got any better as I progressed. It didn't.

Finally, I have to say something about the spelling in this game--it's awful. It's "useful," not "usefull." And there's NO excuse for "Rosalinde" when she is called "Rosaline" in Shakespeare's play. When a game can't even be bothered to get the name of a canonical character right, I've got no use for the game. It's sloppy, sloppy work.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 5, 11 8:24 PM
I also would like to know where the skip button is.
Has anyone else had trouble with invetory items being picked up, not going to inventory, then the hint button even tho lit up does not work?
This is a very nice looking and seemingly interesting adventure to have so many problems!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 5, 11 9:44 PM
cbtx wrote:I also would like to know where the skip button is.
Has anyone else had trouble with invetory items being picked up, not going to inventory, then the hint button even tho lit up does not work?
This is a very nice looking and seemingly interesting adventure to have so many problems!

You just click on the "hint girl", Anne - the daughter of the patron - (rt lower corner of your screen) while you are in the mini-game.

The (1st puzzle) marble game is really not hard but I know fishies are trying to hurry through it in order to get as much ground covered in the game as they can in the demo, so one of the BFG mods posted the link to the marble solution on video under the thread "marble game".

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 10:08:06 PM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 5, 11 9:47 PM
VTCT wrote:I was wondering why it happens that you are using the demo and then it stops even when you have 11 minutes. This isn't a full hour demo and should be stated as it.

The trial demo doesn't say 60 minutes, it says "free sample".

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 6, 11 2:32 AM
Euskalduna wrote:Thanks, Pepper. I know it's Shakespeare and I like his plays, in fact, I have read them all, even the really boring and don't tell me he did not write some really dull.

What I meant is that games regarding love & lovers, even if based on tragedies like Shakespeare's R and J, don't say anything to me. And with all due respect to the Bard, Romeo & Juliet is, well, let's say foolish. (My very, very personal opinion).

But again, whoever likes this kind of games, hurrah!

Edited to add: If any dev decides to make a game based on Macbeth, for instance, then I would be the first in line to buy it. That calls to my dark side, but that's me.

Thanks for writing back! Oh yea, like all writers, even the Bard has moments of well....he's makin' his living and this one isn't artistic genius.

Basically, there's a lot of teenaged angst in R&J, isn't there? Plus the stupidity of feuds. Set it in Appalachia and call it Rasmus McCoy and Patience Hatfield! A universal story.

Oh noooooo! You named *the* Scottish play. But I also would love a really good game based on that one.

Aside--did you ever see Kenneth Branagh's Henry V? Let to the resurgence of Shakesperean and Elizabethean themes in entertainment.

Now, imagine A Midsummer Night's Dream as a game.......developers of this one, are you listening??!!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 6, 11 2:35 AM
mhatfie wrote:Very well said Pepper010.

How kind of you! Thank you.

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 6, 11 3:46 AM
Hi everyone,

Please remember that this thread is reserved for reviews of this game only. I also want to remind you to be mindful of our Forum Rules, which state:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish Games employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

As such, the Moderation team will be removing several of the non-game related comments in this thread to prevent it from getting off track any further. Please contact a Moderator if you have any questions.

-bfgRhone

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 6, 11 7:20 AM
A note that refers to the new Edgar Allen Poe "Premature Burial" CE: the Shakespeare game vs. that one provides a good illustration of the two different philosophies about inventory items. In that game, you collect many things as you go along. In this game, you don't get an item until it's time to use it.

Because I've been playing both games, the difference between the two ways of doing things became very clear. I also posted this comment in the review thread for the new Poe game.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Oct 6, 11 8:21 AM
Uh....no.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 6, 11 11:56 AM
If you want a hidden object this won’t be for you, however if you want to try a point & click adventure but find them pretty hard this is a good place to start.

Like most adventures it does not hurry you along apace, instead you should take time to watch the scenes that are played out in between the gameplay scenes, the narration was well done & I like to know the story. The background sounds are well done & what little music there is suits the period in which the game is set.

Unfortunately the game seems rather linear & you can only do things in order however this is true in many adventure games. There are no sparkles to let you know where to look for items that you need & you will not be able to pick many things up until you hit a specific point in the game. The whole point is to remember where you found an object & then when you meet a puzzle to solve, such as a locked door, you can go back & retrieve what is needed.

There is a hint in the form of a young woman; if you get stuck she will show you where to go or tell you what to do. In addition if you are in a mini-game she acts as a ‘skip’ button.

The graphics are very clear & the artwork quite beautiful, every scene is really lovely to look at & explore. I do not know the developers Daedalic Entertainment & Torque but it is such a change to get a different type of game. This will be going on my to buy list.

I have a couple of things I didn’t care for, one was the slow loading of the game as it is opened, it seems to take forever watching the percentage counter. Two was the cursor, it was rather small & I would have preferred something a little more noticeable than a small white circle when finding an object of interest.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Oct 6, 11 2:15 PM
TRY THIS GAME.....it will draw you in. I read all of the reviews and was going to bypass this game until I read the "TRY IT" segment. I decided to try it and I now have purchased it. The game takes a bit to get into, but it drew me in and I am enjoying it.

This is a different type of game, more adventure with searching for Hidden Objects having to be found in areas by "picture of object". You cannot pick objects up until they are needed.

Try this game for 45 minutes, it might grow on you.

Happy Gaming.

[Post New]by FragmentFour on Oct 6, 11 6:10 PM
I'm a huge fan of click and proceed adventure games. Hidden object games, not so much. The artwork is great and I didn't have any technical problems with things not showing up or disappearing when I found them. But I did not appreciate the "can't take this yet" limitation at all. If the lady's name was changed slightly to prevent legal problems, I can understand it - somebody probably does have copyright on the Bard's works. If the alteration was an oversight, I'll gladly administer a beating to the culprit.

And since somebody early on mentioned the idea of having some enterprising game developer working up a McBeth... yeah! But it better be good - REALLY good. And if I click on something - it's MINE. None of this wait and come back messaging.

One MAJOR odd point in the game - why on earth is this first house (and probably all the others) falling apart and losing objects I have to hunt for??? THAT'S a big flaw - it simply makes no sense unless it's an excuse to drive playing - which is less than good game making. A lot less.

Eh - As of now, 15 minutes into the demo, I am not favorably impressed by the planning.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Oct 6, 11 8:50 PM
I played the demo for this game and was one of the few people that enjoyed it. It isn't a hidden object game like we are used to...you have to find objects as you need them. Makes sense to me to not to pick up random objects unless you need them. I am enjoying the story and the graphics. The puzzles are a bit easy, but that's ok. I get tired of the dark/occult games that continue to come out, so this one is nice. I plan to buy it and finish it. Also, I did not have any of the technical problems mentioned. Hopefully, it will be turn out to be worth the buy!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 7, 11 9:24 AM
I really liked the game, My demo ran out, so I will buy this game in the future, The game is beautiful and The sounds are very nice..Thx DEV's and BF..

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 7, 11 11:14 AM
If you even got to play the game, I think you are lucky. I couldn't even start it. It just gave me a black screen - the same as Grim Tales: The Bride before the bugs were fixed.

Frankly, they lost me during the overly long introduction. I just wanted to say "Get on with it, already". I know I could have skipped, but I do like to watch the voiceovers because they are integral to the game as a whole, but I do NOT want an intro that is about 5 minutes long!

I'm glad I didn't do what I sometimes do, which is impulse buy. I have now deleted it.

gobaba
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by gobaba on Oct 7, 11 9:40 PM
This game had clunky gameplay and too many gabby cutscenes. I do "real" adventure games, and they are almost totally non-linear. This one was was rigidly linear to the point of having control issues. "No, you can't have that yet". "Now open the window". "Put all the coins in place". Jeez, where's the fun in that? It's like being guided through a game by a control freak.
I don't care to spend all my time pixel-hunting for items either. That and the fact that it totally glitched out at the herbal potion mixing, and wouldn't progress any further tells me that Daedelic didn't do their QA homework. This one goes in the dumpster.

poopysue wrote:Makes HDO games look good!

What she said.

Go to: