mkinyon
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mkinyon on Oct 7, 11 6:26 AM
grandmab3248 wrote:MKINYON: I couldn't agree less with you.

That's fine. You're wrong, but that's still fine. (It isn't easy to be insufferably obnoxious, but somehow I manage.)
grandmab3248 wrote:I do not care for Elephant games. In Mystery of Venice and Grim Tales..The Bride, we spent the entire time going back and forth through four and five scenes to get just one object to use in another scene.

Thank you for partially proving my point. Mystery of Venice is an ERS game, not an Elephant game. The less said about it, the better.

I agree that The Bride is not up to the high standards set by the Mystery Trackers series or even The Maze, which solves the problem you gripe about by providing a teleport map. (Not that The Maze is flawless; it has too many recycled minigames). However, we disagree on The Bride's flaw. It does have a bit of backtracking, I'll grant you, but it's main problem is that its plot completely falls apart and the ending is terrible.
grandmab3248 wrote:That doesn't happen in this game or in any of the other ERS games I've played.

Then you have either not played many or have a poor memory. Extreme backtracking is, for instance, a key feature of the first two Puppetvilles. (I did not play the last one.) And that was back when ERS was still considered innovative.
grandmab3248 wrote:So far in this game, the back tracking is limited, and takes mere seconds.

It takes "mere seconds" in any game by any developer unless you have an old computer. Even in the excellent Raincliff, which I would say is the Elephant offering with the most backtracking, one can get from any scene to any other in no more than about than a minute.

Getting back to the purpose of this thread, I would point out that the main thrust of my post was that I am actually somewhat impressed with this latest ERS offering. But that is not because of limited backtracking (which is not that important an issue anyway), but rather because of the overall design, the improved voiceovers, the minigames, and so on. The hidden object scenes are bit mushy, graphics-wise, but otherwise not bad at all.
grandmab3248 wrote:You can't remotely compare Elephant to ERS.

True, because ERS suffers in the comparison. But these things have their seasons. Remember when Spintop was considered the height of hidden object gaming? Who knows what dev will be king of the heap in a couple of years.

Nafretiti
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nafretiti on Oct 7, 11 7:48 AM
I have found this quality of an ERS game to be poor, I was REALLY looking forward to this game and and whilst I will still play it just so I can say I finished it/know how it ends etc I must say it wasn't their best work.

Layering (would that be it? *Not used to technical jargon*) is bad when it comes to the friend who hires you, he speaks and a grey thing comes over his mouth and you can't see his mouth whilst he talks.

The sound when you get an item outside or inside the HOS is annoying and repetitive.

So far I THINK thats it (besides when speaking to the friend it goes slow as anything and so you are waiting five+ minutes for a two second conversation to end but that may be my old computers fault) at least so far.

The graphics, music, voice acting (minus the friends, he sounds like someone from America in the 1980's or something not someone from the 1900's) and game play seem fine over all, I love this series but I don't think this was ERS's best work, it was a good game but after seeing the quality of the previous games in the series it just doesn't hold a candle to them.

Only out of 5 from me.

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 9:12:15 AM PST

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Oct 7, 11 8:20 AM
I only played the demo, and will get the SE with a punch card credit, only because I have the first 2. This game is way to easy and predictable. Even in advanced mode there is no challenge. When you click on something the text message tells you exactly what to do, how to do it and what to use. You find an inventory item and use it right away. The few puzzles I met were also very easy. I'm not crazy about the graphics either. Nothing is exciting about this game for me. Only out of 5. /one positive was no sparkles /

[Post New]by rolltide01 on Oct 7, 11 8:27 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't have wide screen? It doesn't even look like full screen.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 7, 11 9:22 AM
Nafretiti wrote:I have found this quality of an ERS game to be poor, I was REALLY looking forward to this game and and whilst I will still play it just so I can say I finished it/know how it ends etc I must say it wasn't their best work.

Layering (would that be it? *Not used to technical jargon*) is bad when it comes to the friend who hires you, he speaks and a grey thing comes over his mouth and you can't see his mouth whilst he talks.

The sound when you get an item outside or inside the HOS is annoying and repetitive.

So far I THINK thats it (besides when speaking to the friend it goes slow as anything and so you are waiting five+ minutes for a two second conversation to end but that may be my old computers fault) at least so far.

The graphics, music, voice acting (minus the friends, he sounds like someone from America in the 1980's or something not someone from the 1900's) and game play seem fine over all, I love this series but I don't think this was ERS's best work, it was a good game but after seeing the quality of the previous games in the series it just doesn't hold a candle to them.

Only out of 5 from me.

i agree, all ers games are just blending together lately, this one is no exception, tired puzzles, tired scenes, tired stories, short games elephant has surpassed ers imo,

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Oct 7, 11 9:47 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't have wide screen? It doesn't even look like full screen.

Rolltide: it might have something to do with your type of video-card. Certain videocards dont seem to support a full screen option for games by ERS.

Two options:
- try to 'play' a bit with your resolution settings, sometimes that helps
- or ask customer service of BFG. They might be able to tell you if your videocard supports this game.

Good luck.

[Post New]by msfaeriedust on Oct 7, 11 11:19 AM

Haha, I had to stop playing this game simply because of that annoying noise! But I think even without it there is something about this game that didn't hold my interest. Same old...

Valdy wrote:I didn`t like the sound I got each time I clicked on an object, either in the HOS (hidden object scenes) or whenever I picked something up outside of them. Very repetitive and gets annoying.

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 11:20:41 AM PST

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Oct 7, 11 11:22 AM
Echo everyone else. As always a good game from ERS. I do love the Edgar Allan Poe ones. This started off a bit glitchy but soon got going, so no issues with running it. Good storyline, nice and gruesome lol. Once again, being a brit I chuckle at the accents-very french names and very american accents. Still, I suppose a fake french accent would be really annoying. Dupin is fun tho and very good looking. Music's ok too.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 7, 11 1:30 PM
Riverman73 wrote:In terms of gameplay, i like this one better then the last 3 or 4 ERS games: there is a bit more challenge to be found in using the inventory objects and some of the puzzles are more difficult then usual (I especially loved the post-office one).

But...

I have some bigger and smaller complaints also:
- That 'woosh'-sound whenever you find a Hidden Object or an inventory object is extremely annoying. Please ERS people, leave it out the next time!
- The graphics in the Hidden Object scenes have taken a step back in quality it seems. In earlier ERS-games they seemed more detailed.- Allthough i havent finished the game yet, it seems on the short side again.
- Why are towns in ERS games ALWAYS deserted? i like to see some people and livelieness for a change.. lol

My verdict so far: 3,5 out of 5 stars.

You are right they were more detailed, thats one of my gripes also with the newer ERS games. its too bad because it diminishes the quality of the game.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Oct 7, 11 2:29 PM
Just finished!!! ERS games has become Better and Better! Love this Developer! I am just happy ! the best Dev ever!!!

yogagirl50
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by yogagirl50 on Oct 7, 11 3:02 PM
Have to agree with those who say this game isn't up to ERS high standards. There were MULTIPLE times when hidden objects were mis-named. Graphics not nearly as nice as usual. Some new puzzles, but skip took too long to recharge.

All in all, 3/5 is a good assessment. But I still love ERS - hope the next one is better.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Editio

[Post New]by Janie42 on Oct 7, 11 4:21 PM
textrekkie wrote:PART 2: Dark Tales: EAP's Premature Burial CE
The kindest thing I can say about the sound track is that it can be turned all the way down. Parts sound like a bad French "B" movie (or a bad American "B" movie depicting life in France - take your pick); parts sound almost Romanian (and that's not intended as an insult to the good people of Romania); parts sound like they could be from a movie about life as a beast of burden. But no one part sounds like it belongs in a game with this subject matter, and all of the parts certainly don't go together.

Of great disappointment are the HOS. They are re-used too often. The art work within scenes is low caliber. There are scenes where I received items I didn't have to find; scenes in which brushes look like jar lids, purses look like a scrap of fabric, a spike is a stalk of wheat, plurals often listed for singular items; plus there is a level of "clicky-picky" that got to be very frustrating in both interactive HOS & graphic scenes in game (trying to put objects on tables, etc.).

Most of the puzzles are very easy to solve; however, they are unique & interesting & fun to play. I'm still not sure what to say about the find the roses. Was it meant to be fun? They really weren't even hidden...

Total play time for me in mode with slower skip/hint recharge & no active zone highlights, using no hints, no skips, no SG (which does bookmark) was 4.0 hours. Bonus game adds another 1.0 hour, for total of 5.0 hours game time. Bonus game does NOT affect ending & is not necessary to enjoy the natural ending of the game. It is an entirely separate addendum to the ending, thus its loss will not diminish enjoyment for those who purchase the SE.

So, for good storyline, story development, excellent graphics, good use of voiceovers, cut scenes, ambient/background FX, I give the game 3 out of 5 possible stars. I withhold 2 stars for the music, the HOS scenes, the clicky-picky interactive scenes & all the clues given in object descriptions/game play.
Fantastic review... thank you! Besides being extremely informative, your review has saved me the time to both d/l & play the CE demo. Hence, I've spent 3.5 minutes reading to save +60 minutes!
I'll wait for the SE--or pass altogether.

Krissy41
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Krissy41 on Oct 7, 11 4:45 PM
This is a halfway decent game but low caliber for ERS. It has alot of replay HOS but with a few different items. Not alot of different scenes, it's back and forth to the same ones and the sound/music is awful!!! I turned the volume all the way down through most of the game it was that bad (at least the voiceovers were decent). I always have the same problem with ERS games such lagging and the cursor "sticks" in alot of places. Pretty disappointed in the CE and I wish I would have waited for the SE. Just not up to par for ERS Game Studios!

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Oct 7, 11 8:24 PM
Great Game!

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Oct 7, 11 8:35 PM
katejoe999 wrote:
Valdy wrote:
Valdy wrote:
alpha_Tau wrote:Potential spoilers!!!

Pepper010 wrote:... Just two very small nitpicks.

Along with this one: I wish that they had explained why you want the roses the very first time that you see one.

This one caught me out ...

Watch out!!! You can't complete the game without collecting all 33 roses.

The SG states that you will get a chance to collect any missing roses, but, right at the end, tells you that you have to go back through the game zones to find them!!!

If you don't want to be bored to death, make sure that you find them all. You cannot proceed to the bonus level without this.

The game has been a considerable improvement on more recent offerings, especially other CEs, which have often been faulty or relatively short, etc.

With all that, it's a pity that, as Pepper010 noted, the pre-requisite of the rose collection was not clearly stated at the outset, along the lines of "You will need to collect all 33 roses to complete the game.".

Best regards,
aT

Ah... So am I to assume that if I buy the SE, there won`t be any roses to collect, since they are to be used in the bonus level - something I didn`t know.

Can anyone advise me on the issue about the roses?

Thanks.

Just posted about this in another thread but will clarify here too. You do need the roses to end the game but they are part of the ending. You don't need them to access the bonus game. I would imagine that the SE will include collecting roses as they provide a lovely end

Just got back to the forum after being away for a while. katejoe999's response is very interesting. Perhaps I should have been clearer at the time of my original post, but I will do so now.

I tried to complete the game without all 33 roses (I was missing two). The game would not let me proceed out, but issued a message about needing the roses and the SG indicates this as well.

Since then, I have only been able to move back through the game zones. I cannot activate the bonus level or other content ~ I receive a message about having to complete the game. I am also unable to get back to the scene where the couple are back together again.

My experience may not be the same as others, and I'm happy for them, but it is what happened to me.

Best regards,
aT

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 8, 11 1:11 AM
Hi fishies,

Just swimming by with a friendly reminder to keep this thread for reviews only. Please feel free to create a new thread in this game forum for any game tips, hints or general comments.

As for any technical issues, glitches or comments, please direct them to our dedicated technical issues thread HERE.

Thanks and happy gaming!

bfgRhone

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 8, 11 3:13 AM
I've been over ERS games for sometime because they are formalized and all seem to blend together BUT I still demo them just to make sure and this one kind of grabbed me. I do own the other 2 games in this series and like them very much as that was back when ERS was sort of new and had top notch quality and intriguing new gameplay. Now it seems they put out anything just because they know they have the top notch rating and can get away with lousy plot lines and ugly hidden object scenes and people will still be impressed by the graphics and all the people who are die hard fans will invest and they do so obviously their plan has worked.

HOWEVER, this game was kind of challenging compared to some other easy and boring games that have been released in the past 6 months. This game made me think. I loved the mailbox puzzles as I have a game on my cell phone that is the same concept as that and it really makes you think how to move the block. which makes it more fun! I liked the mystery aspect as I like this series, hidden object scenes were interactive but why did we have to play the same ones over n over? Thats why I like elephant games because you only have to play each scene one time. This game kept my attention because for once the demo actually ran out before I had finished!!! That never happens for me on an ERS game. Usually I finish at least 20 minutes before its scheduled to end so that was great.

My beefs with this game are mainly the speed. I usually don't have game issues and all my windows were closed except for this game but every time the characters would speak, it would freeze up to the point I thought I had to cancel out of the game but then it would slowly come back. I do have a lot of adventure games loaded right now so maybe its me? Also, the voiceovers were terrible. Usually ERS voiceovers are pretty good IMO but Dupin, got a makeover as he doesnt look the same and now has a new voice that is more american than french although a french voiceover might be quite annoying. I preferred the sound the objects made over the sound of them in the bronze horsemen. I also liked how there was no hint button on the game itself, made it more challenging. Don't understand why we are collecting roses of all things, reminds me of the sequel to love chronicles. Would prefer something a lil more mystery like but its a nice touch. But for the love of all that is wonderful in this world can ERS PLEASE and I stress this, PLEASE come up with some new music? Im so sick of these tracks that needed to be retired years ago but are in alllllll of their games. I've been over ERS games because I feel like they recycle their games like plot lines, graphics, music, characters, items etc. No new thought BUT I might pick this one up with a game coupon or if its on DD. Its not as great as the first game of this series but its not as bad as some of their other recent offerings have been. Happy Gaming

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 8, 11 7:44 AM
Love ERS, played and finished it yesterday.

I've got all the Dark Tales (in my opinion Black Cat is the best one) and I really enjoyed this one. I found there were a lot of H0 compared to the other games. I've wondered if you could access the bonus play not having found the 33 roses (missed one and ran all over the place to find it, but it's not over difficult to do).
One thing that really annoyed me was the music, it was bound to have accordion in order to sound French -cliché, cliché, ages since nobody listens to accordion here apart the tourists- (it takes place in France) but it was so monotonous and going on and on that it drove me crazy and I turned the sound off.
The characters were different too, speaking and looking more real.
Graphics excellent as always.
Good story but you can only expect that from E.A. Poe.
A plus, the bonus play is quite good, even if not very long.
A very good game, not the best I have, but a very good game.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Oct 8, 11 10:38 AM
great game.. loved it. took me about 5 hours total. just a note that in some of the **** scenes the items don't match the description... a goblet is NOT a bowl and a funnel is NOT a water can.

Barnetts
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Barnetts on Oct 8, 11 12:14 PM
I can't say enough good abou this game! One word sums it up! AWESOME!!

Go to: