blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman

[Post New]by blujeens on Nov 21, 11 7:18 PM
OK, here's my review:

Graphics - Not quite the clairity I've seen before from ERS, but good, none-the-less. Not too dark to see things clearly, especially in the hidden areas.

Voices - There should have been a separate control for the voices cuz they seemed louder than the rest of the sound effects, so if you lowered the sound effect volume, then you couldn't hear other things very well.

Music - OMG, I have to agree with the rest of the peeps! Please, ERS, find some different music the next time around! If I had purchased the CE, I would have been greatly disappointed in hearing the same tunes which I've heard in many of your other games.

Mini-Games - Not very challenging. Not saying that I like overly-challenging minis, but I was a little surprised at the simplicity of a few of them.

Game Overall - Besides being disappointed in the music, I played the expert or advanced mode, and I have to admit that I had to use the hints twice because I couldn't find what was being asked for in the **** games. However, one of the items was deeply imbedded, and the other item wasn't what I would call it. Oh, well! I was having a great time trying to solve the adventure to this game until (spoiler - need to highlight to read) the ending! I couldn't believe the lame way this game ended! Was it ended this way cuz I didn't buy the CE version? If so, that isn't fair to those of us who would like a proper ending to a story! Nothing like the previous ERS games I've purchased, and I have to say this disappointed me greatly.

Recommendation - With the exception of the two things that I mentioned above in Game Overall, I would still recommend this game to anyone looking for mild adventure, slightly dark, fantasy style HOG. However, I would strongly urge the devs at ERS to take care and not disappoint their fans like I felt I was in this game. I might not buy the next one if this happens again.

Out of 5, I would give it

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 25, 11 3:42 PM
a so-so game, awful "music" and dissapointing ending. not one of ers's better games

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Dec 22, 11 10:12 AM
Fun Factor: 5 stars
Visual/Sound Quality: 5 1/2 stars
Level of Challenge: 3 stars
Average Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Pros: Highly polish visual. Plenty of puzzles and mini-games. Plenty of places to visit.

Con: Trekking (for those who hate it.)

(This review is based on the game's demo.)

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Jan 19, 12 7:02 PM
I have to laugh when I read complaints about music in any game.

I became a BFG member five years ago, and with every game I've purchased, the first thing I do when my game installs and starts up for the first time is click on "Options" or "Settings" and turn the music almost completely down. I will leave only a sliver of it remaining so I can just barely hear it, in case it becomes important to the game, which is quite rare, but sometimes it does happen.

Why complain about something you can just turn down or off?

[Post New]by ManatiPuertoRico on Jan 22, 12 12:35 PM

Just finished the demo and used one of my credits to purchase. I read the ending was disappointing but I am hoping that the sequel will come soon enough. Graphics are gorgeous, music is pleasant, voice over Ok so far, IHOG are a bit junkie but not hard since there is no penalty for clicking. Puzzles are not too easy and not too hard, I am not good with puzzles so I'm happy to find a game with some puzzles I can solve . The only downside is that there are no hints when you are stuck. Did not have to use the walkthrough yet so that's pretty good for me. Happy gaming everyone

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 12:42:46 PM PST

[Post New]by ManatiPuertoRico on Jan 22, 12 12:41 PM
cinfin wrote:I have played a game with the strange looking little demon man in it before but I cannot remember which game it was. Anyway, this game was okay. I had to open it by going into the file location and double-clicking on the file there. Bummer! Once there, I played until I was through with it. I did not like the music so I turned it off. The scenes were crisp and I was able to figure out the mini-games, Yea!

It was Haunted Legends: Queen of Spades! Very good game too I purchased yesterday since was the DD, finished and decided to give this one a try, even though reviews on the ending of the game were discouraging . Nonetheless I purchased this one and on my way to try to finish it today!

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

The Bronze Horseman - OK

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Jul 7, 12 11:54 AM
Kind of a short game. Good graphics, music ok, good HOS. Strange ending which I did not like.But it was ok to buy and play. I did enjoy it. Just not the same quality as any of the Midnight Mysteries games.

Brytani02
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Brytani02 on Sep 22, 12 11:26 AM
I'm not sure if people are still checking out the reviews at this late date but if they are I wanted to share my opinion of the Bronze Horseman.

I've just finished playing the demo in casual mode with 6 minutes left when it abruptly ended. I would have finished the demo much quicker but I was switching between baseball and playing. Full disclosure I tend to shy away from games that end the demo once you've reached a certain part of the game. I feel it's a little bit of a cheat on the developers side; let me decide when to stop playing the demo (after all, it's supposed to catch my attention enough to purchase the full version) or after the advertised hour of play. With that said.....

The graphics are beautiful, ERS does seem to put most of their energy into the look however more attention to the story line would be more of a catch.

The HOG scenes are not junk piles and include interactive items. Again full disclosure, I am not a huge fan of full hog games as they bore me to death; I prefer puzzles. Too many hog's and it's a no buy for me. Bronze Horseman seems to have a good combination of hog's mixed in with puzzles that are not overly difficult and add to the enjoyment of the game. There is little pulling your hair out trying to figure them out.

The music fits well yet after a while I turned down the volume to zero. The music seems to be on a loop and for me became tiring. Voice overs are well done with the exception of the little girl, who as other have said, is obnoxious enough you want to gag her.

Technically I encountered no stalling or shaky cursor movements.

As for the story line, fans of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, as I am, will be disappointing as the story is nothing like the wonderful book by Washington Irving. Having read through a few pages of other reviews and all the complaints of an abrupt ending that fails to tie up the story makes me hesitant to purchase the game even in SE mode. Secondly other reviews state the game in very short in length, another reason I am hesitant to purchase the full version.

Over all the Bronze Horsemen is a good game but not great. I expect more from ERS.

For those looking for a fairly simply hog/puzzle game I would recommend a purchase. For me I am still considering a purchase as I have found other games that recently came out much better. I will add this game to my buy list near the bottom. If Bigfish runs a special I will purchase it. For now I will pass.

Happy playing all.

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 11:38:46 AM PST

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Oct 14, 12 1:49 PM
I know this should be in the comments section but since I don't see one I will put it here.

This looks to be a really nice game so I wondered why I did not buy it when it first came out. After playing it for 43 minutes I found out why I didn't bother with the game.

Even though the game is well done and it has a lot of hidden object scenes, if you like them a lot, I found the never ending blues and browns to be boring. Those colors don't make a game scary. It only makes games dark, gloomy and boring. What's wrong with investigators doing their jobs in the light? Did the Bronze Horseman steal the sun?

This is another good game that has turned me off due to tedious coloring. This is also the second daily deal in a row with this coloring. I thought I would get four punches this weekend because of double punch weekend but I find the coloring so distasteful now due to overuse that these games are not worth buying to me, even for $2.99.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jan 26, 13 11:59 AM
I REALLY LIKED THIS GAME. IT IS GAME TWO OF THREE IN THE SEQUEL OF HAUNTED LEGENDS. THE FIRST GAME WAS IUST AS FUN AS THIS ONE. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO PLAYING GAME HAUNTED LEGENDS UNDERTAKER. THERE'S A TINY WIERD MAN IN ALL THE GAMES. GREAT GRAPHIC'S...GREAT STORIES...GREAT HOS AND PUZZLES.....GET ALL OF THEM

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Feb 13, 13 12:24 PM
I, too was disappointed with the abrupt and unsatisfying ending of this game. As a published writer, I know it would be possible to have a satisfying ending for the Standard Edition version of games and still develop the story line more thoroughly and/or bring in new facets to the story in the bonus portion of the Collectors Edition version. Surely the ERS developers have enough gifted writers on their staff to be able to accomplish this. (If not, they may eventually lose customers. Many people want a satisfying ending and some people can not afford to buy CE's or simply choose to purchase SE's instead. I can afford Collectors Editions but I usually choose to purchase the Standard Editions, as I do not feel the bonus content of most CE's is worth the extra cost.)

However, I did get a lot of enjoyment from the rest of the game. One of the fishies mentioned that they thought the game was short, but I was satisfied with the length. (And I would estimate my game skill level as "intermediate". I used only a couple of hints and I think I skipped only one of the mini games.)

Happy gaming everyone!

Classicaljazz

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 25, 13 1:03 AM
I bought the SE. This would be a good game except there is no hint system outside of the HOS. This means having to exit the game to look at the walkthrough, which I've had to do three times now before finishing the game.

The graphics are beautiful, as always for ERS, but I'm getting frustrated with the number of times I search every location repeatedly and still get stuck.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 13, 13 9:09 AM
That Evil Dwarf SG Is Back!

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

I don’t consider this to be one of the best ERS games, and the series is not my favourite either, but this is still an ENJOYABLE & ENTERTAINING game.

VISUALLY, it is still APPEALING. Even though the AGE of the GRAPHICS makes them a bit FUZZY on my LARGE MONITOR, they look great, and the hand drawn effect creates a magical atmosphere. Being a HO GAME almost exclusively, the art is CLEAR & DETAILED.

HOs are INTERACTIVE LISTS, PUZZLES are LESS FREQUENT & FAIRLY EASY and, these days, they are quite WELL KNOWN. However, there is NO HINT at all outside HOS, and the JOURNAL keeps minimal information only. There is also NO MAP. So some challenge is provided.

There are COLLECTIBLE SOUL CRYSTALS scattered throughout the game.

The STORY is NOTHING SPECIAL, the mayor has called you in to investigate strange disappearances, including that of his nephew Michael. It doesn’t take us long to find out that that nasty dwarf SG, is behind the problems. However, things are not always what they seem, and exactly what he is up to takes a long time to come to light.

I did enjoy this game, although it is not a STAND OUT.

My only real criticism is the one I seem always to be making about ERS games.

The MUSIC is REPETITIOUS, and the VOICEOVER for the child is very GRATING.

There are better games out there, but this is still a great SUNDAY AFTERNOON game.

Edited on 07/13/2013 at 9:09:44 AM PST

Go to: