9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Oct 14, 11 5:33 AM
Seems like an interesting game. However, once again, the demo was cut short of the 60 minutes promised.

Might take a look at it for the SE.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Oct 14, 11 5:59 AM
9gamer5 wrote:Seems like an interesting game. However, once again, the demo was cut short of the 60 minutes promised.

Might take a look at it for the SE.

Actually it doesn't promise any time limit, just a sample version of the game.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Oct 14, 11 6:00 AM
grandmab3248 wrote:To Team SD:
Do you people ever give a negative review?
It would really be interesting to read a review that was something other than glowing from you.

ROFLMHO--I've wondered exactly this, too!

Happy gaming all...

[Post New]by baglady159 on Oct 14, 11 6:05 AM
Janie42 wrote:
Do you people ever give a negative review?
It would really be interesting to read a review that was something other than glowing from you.

ROFLMHO--I've wondered exactly this, too!

Happy gaming all...

There is one game developer (that shall remain nameless ) that gets nothing but bad reviews no matter what game they release to us.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Oct 14, 11 6:09 AM

Do you people ever give a negative review? It would really be interesting to read a review that was something other than glowing from you.

TeamSD has given her share of bad reviews. Grades as low as an E (if there was an F I missed it) so she does grade according to her review of the games and she doesn't like all of them.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Oct 14, 11 6:53 AM
I love the game! My VERDICT is - the BEST GAME EVER, people-EVER!
Everething is great! IMO

It is FARRRRR better then other latest games(but Dark Taless for sure, i loved it so much ) in every way: Animations, Clever puzles, Humor, Creative, Story line, Challenge, Music and SFX!
It's so fun to play, it's really original game. You never feel like 'What to do??? and Who is Who???."
So this CE- worth the many
ERS keeps going UP from game to game. Their games become beter and beter.
It is as interesting as the 1st, even BETER!
Save your money on other games but THIS IS MUST TO TRY!!!!
ERS rocks!!!! Thanks BFG!!! Thanks ERS!!! I am a HUGE fan of ERS and i wish to ERS good luck!!!
I have never seen so clever animation before. What a great Job for the Intro movie, i can hardly wait for a sequel

To Team SD: Thank you! Great, Right, Excellent review

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 14, 11 8:06 AM
Tired and getting old. That's me and the game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 14, 11 10:20 AM
edmee1947 wrote:i have a 22' screen and it is full!

Yes, but is it a widescreen monitor? We weren`t talking about the size of the monitor but that for many of us the ERS games don`t fill the whole screen on a widescreen monitor, so that we get black bars at the left and right.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Oct 14, 11 10:30 AM
Finally a great ERS game again!

I was rather disappointed with the last ones, with their 'overdose' on abandoned towns and rather poor graphics in the Hidden Object scenes.

I love it when a game covers different 'worlds' / enviroments to explore, and this game sure doesn't disappoint in that field: i won't spoil them all, but they are diverse enough to keep your interest and make you curious about what is coming next.
I also love that each world isnt so big that you have to run and forth constantly to find and use certain objects.

Allthough this is a game that deals with a rather dark subject (a crazy guy captures little kids to get 'energy' from tapping of their fears) the graphics itself aren't really dark, including the Hidden Object scenes, which are more clear and visible then in the last few ERS games.

The use of inventory objects is often fun: I especially enjoyed the part in the toystore. With Some nice humoristic touches also: a dolphin who needs to be cheered up on her birthday... a little devil who disappears with a 'pop'... a pirate who needs some help

To be contined....

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 10:35:38 AM PST

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Oct 14, 11 10:34 AM
Continued review...

The use of children's imagination and fantasy worlds lends itselfs well for this colourfull and charming game.

When it comes to the puzzles: a nice mixture of old and new ones...some more easy, some more difficult in a pleasant way.

A minor point: i haven't finished this game yet, but again it seems to be on the rather short side. But i can take that, because the gameplay is so addictive.

Final verdict: with this game ERS seems to reach the quality-level of some of their earlier IHOG's again (like the first puppetshow). In terms of gameplay and graphics it is definitely a step upwards from their last offerings. I hope they can maintain this level of quality.

My rating: 9 out of 10.

Edit: one thing to ad. The demo-part of the game, with the scenes in the woods, may seem a bit predictable, but every child you have to save, is being 'trapped' in another type of world. All very different and with different elements of gameplay. Expect a lot of surprises in this game. Its highly addictive.

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 10:43:38 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 14, 11 12:53 PM
LapTopDancerr wrote:
textrekkie wrote:This review is based on the demo version.

Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood is the second in the Haunted Halls series from ERS. Up front options are the typical sliders for music and sound, options for full screen and custom cursor. Two play modes are offered, Regular cabin, the left background looks pretty good and shows a bird.........

This is the THIRD installment of Haunted Halls. The first one was an SE and the second a CE/SE. Originally purchased SE, never got around to reading reviews and then noticed as time passed, most reviews said the HH SE had an abrupt ending and the CE "cleaned things up". I then purchased the CE and have to agree with the majority of reviews for HH CE II.

Speaking of Bonus Games, I just read 3 pages of reviews here of HH III Demos and only 2 people said they purchased, completed the game but left out the important info all the demo reviews do not have...
The Bonus Portion.

When I read reviews I start with the last one written and work my way to the beginning until I have read enough complete reviews to make my decision.I'd like to know your general thoughts on the bonus and if the bonus is a necessary ending for the game, a trailer for the next game (sequel), a bunch of unrelated games/HOS, approximate length and if it ties up any loose ends in the main game. OR if it has a decent ending for all the SE buyers.
Thanks!

As far as I'm aware this is the 2nd game in the Haunted Halls series but perhaps I missed one somewhere.

As I stated in my review, the bonus chapter is short (perhaps 30/40 mins) and very heavy on hidden object searches. There is another child to save (highlight to read) Tim's sister, whose picture you see on one of the doors during the main game . I suppose it does round off the story quite neatly. The rest of the bonus content is music, wallpapers and concept art.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 14, 11 1:32 PM
I too, was having a problem will ALL my games suddenly not filling my 17" widescreen monitor and I read a tip somewhere here in the forums that fixed that.

Go to your desktop and right click.
Chose Graphic Options
Chose Scaling
Chose Scale Full Screen
Chose Apply
Chose Okay

I haven't had the first problem with black bars since I've done this! Hopes it helps someone!

Off to download... thanks for all the great reviews! ERS rocks!!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Oct 14, 11 2:54 PM
just completed the demo, was when i found out i was done cuz i was on a ... didn't really want to spend another ce, but loved the first one, really like ers devs, and (probably most telling) i have finished all my games in progress....soooo looks like this will have to be a buy. so far have really enjoyed this game once i got out of the outer space scene...hated it....have no probs with the graphics, personally don't think it's a breeze, more like a day at the beach as far as play goes (on expert mode). like the mini games, no issues re d/l or changing scenes...ignore the music, keep it on the down-low...have no idea as far as length. going to finish buying and will get back with finished impression...

[Post New]by Nels1cin on Oct 14, 11 3:06 PM
I really enjoyed this game a lot! The game length was well above the "norm" which is usually about 3 hours. I have to admit that I rarely hesitate to purchase a CE and quite honestly usually lose my punchcard credits as there is rarely a good one to buy..... Oops sorry I have swam away from the Reviews Heading!

Game length: 6 hours+
Bonus Chapter: Yes does have a related ending but also leaves it open to the possibility of a future game which is how ERS left it on the last game in this series!

My rating on a scale of 1 to 5 would definitely be 5 !

Loved it and believe me I may not post much but I do own over 100 games and 75% of them are SE versions and the rest are all CE's!

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Oct 14, 11 4:15 PM
really like this one and may not be able to wait
great graphics
maybe interesting story
good puzzles and H.O.s
no music for me ever

[Post New]by dellinindyp on Oct 14, 11 4:47 PM
this is a another great game from the ERS graphics great, puzzles not hard, music I dont have a problem with the music, I loved the first one this is not a dissapointment at all a definate buy for me..

[Post New]by dasmoehrchen on Oct 15, 11 12:15 AM
What a beautifully designed game!
Three thumps up...

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 15, 11 12:48 AM
oh ERS I was so hopeful you were going in the right direction after trying your new dark tales game but alas then this is released. I think I need to go replay an ERS game from when they were first releasing games and see if the games were THIS easy before or I am just too experienced now to play them. From what I recall, these games used to be SOO fun because it WAS an adventure. You'd pick up items that you didn't need right away and then part of the game was figuring out when you were going to need them and when you were only carrying a toad, toothpick, hammer, you knew you were near the end of the game because your items were dwindling down and to know you were going in the right direction at least, a hidden object scene popped up so you knew there was something to do there.

This game isn't new or original and ERS are about as tired as a camel that has trekked 92485 miles in the sahara desert. There needs to be new music, please ERS, my ear drums are killing me from the same soundtrack being used again and again and then again and then AGAIN...and once more just in case you missed it in the first 40 games. I used to love ERS, couldn't wait for their games to be released but IMO, there is nothing special about them anymore. Yes, they have nice graphics but having nice graphics doesn't mean its going to be a great game. The first game in this series was so out of the box, so interesting, so many rooms with people with different fears. So hard to figure out what to do next. I remember the room with the water took me FOREVER to figure out what to do but I finished this demo in 30 minutes. It was mindless, no thought to it at all even on hard mode.

I haven't bought an ERS game in maybe over 6 months. The hidden object scenes are soo easy that I could just click around aimlessly and find all the objects. I just want to same games we used to get where it was a challenge and not sewn together to make a profit. Maybe I am too experienced now as a gamer, I don't know but Im happy that now Im not the only one feeling this way because for awhile I was and now looking at the forum, there is still a lot of great reviews but more and more people are saying the games are boring and tired and something needs to give. I really hope this developer tries to change things up. Everyone hates HdO games but ERS and HdO have A LOT in common. They are formulized the same way every single time. You already know what to expect, every single time and thats becoming a real turn off for me and from what it seems, Im not in the minority anymore. Happy Gaming to those who do buy and newbies will love this game but sadly ERS is just not for me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 15, 11 1:25 AM
angelfish106 wrote:As far as I'm aware this is the 2nd game in the Haunted Halls series but perhaps I missed one somewhere.

It is the second game - check my response on page 4.

Cobweb55 wrote:I too, was having a problem will ALL my games suddenly not filling my 17" widescreen monitor and I read a tip somewhere here in the forums that fixed that.

Go to your desktop and right click.
Chose Graphic Options
Chose Scaling
Chose Scale Full Screen
Chose Apply
Chose Okay

I haven't had the first problem with black bars since I've done this! Hopes it helps someone!

I am sure it might help someone who has that option. It`s not part of my options on my 10-month old Sony Vaio, Win7, 64-bit widescreen laptop.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Oct 15, 11 2:18 AM
@ megwoman: thanks a lot, meg! That was a great statement and I enjoyed your post, especially what you said about originality.

And music in ERS games: I DO agree. They should have a look (or an ear, btw) at Gravely Silent, for example, where every single character gets his/ her own music. THIS is how things COULD have been done....

Go to: