Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Mimisix on Oct 18, 11 3:30 PM
I purchased the game immediately when it came out and frankly I find it rather boring. I will eventually finish it just to see it end and just for the fact that I paid full price for it. I am using the hints and guide so I can get to the end faster.

The dark themes in games doesn't upset me maybe 'cause I don't have any desire to delve into the other side so to speak. And I look at it as just a game on a computer. I certainly believe such evil does exist in the world but as said, I stay away from it. I would never touch a ouija board.

I have all the Vogat games except the three older ones listed and intend to check them out today. l couldn't care less about wall paper, art etc and never even bother to look at them. Of course I haven't played the bonus yet since I'm not quite finished the game so can't comment but I am usually disappointed in the length and content of them. Due to my lack of interest in the extras and the bonus, I'm now reconsidering buying CE games. I always bought them and looked forward to them and would have 3, 4 or 5 game codes at the end of each month. However with the lack of good SE games I find I'm using the codes on games I would normally never buy.

Sorry Vogat, very nice to see you in here and showing interest in your consumers, but I think this game is just plain boring. Too much same old, same old.

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Oct 18, 11 4:19 PM
Only downloaded today, Tuesday, after playing another terrific game from ERS; and now this one from Vogat! BFG you are spoiling me! I have several freebies and have not been able to use them as the CEs are coming hot and heavy and this gamer is having a great time of it. Oh if it weren't to have to go to work to pay for all this happiness! Great graphics, mini games, it's all here. Enjoy fishes!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 18, 11 4:50 PM
I am surprised in such a good way The past couple Vogat games have left me feeling disappointed in everything but this one is really great. There are a lot of hidden object scenes which usually turn me off but the graphics are so stellar in the scenes that I actually liked when I stumbled upon them because in advanced play, there are no sparkles to indicate where they are or where anything is for that matter. There are 3 modes of play which is awesome because there is replay value. I liked the scenery and the fact even though they were ghosts, which is an old theme we've seen before, the concept was somewhat new and we could find ourselves stuck there too and turn into ghost form like our friend. There was no occult type themes that I came across so this was just good fun nothing to shy away from. Now see, whoever worked on this game is definitely not the same people who worked on reincarnations: back to reality because the graphics in back to reality were awful especially in the hidden object scenes. Maybe they were just putting all their top notch people into this one but whatever you did vogat, congrats because you renewed my faith in your company =) I look forward to more especially since I saw there is a sequel to my favorite game!!! Elixir of Immortality is one of my favorite games I've played by you guys, totally kept me on my toes not knowing who the bad guy was. Can't wait for that one. =) Kudos. I give this 4/5 stars on the demo.

My only worry is I can't afford CE's as I broke my rule and got fairway ce at the beginning of the month and I just hope that the SE has a real ending. I did take a look at the bonus material and from what I gather, it seems to be just searching for "alice" whoever that is and restoring her to original form so Im going to assume its an add on bonus and not the ending bonus. kudos.

oh may I also add that so far I have only played the hidden object scenes ONE time not had to go back to the same one 9458 times a level. I give you a standing ovation for that one VOGAT. =)

Edited on 10/18/2011 at 4:52:44 PM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 19, 11 8:19 AM
I am loving this game. First I love your graphics, they are beautiful. Not washed out or blurry. The hidden objects scenes are clear and do not have a huge list of things to find. I like the ambiant sounds, whispering voices, wolf howling, crows cawing all adds to the creepiness of the game. I also like the way the water moves and the lights at the fun fair twinkle. There is alot to interact with throughout the game. Your games never appear to be glitchy and always run smoothly. The only thing I would like added in the future is a few more puzzles. Other than that, you guys do it right in my book.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Oct 19, 11 2:22 PM
have 15 min left of demo, figure i was at a good place to stop and smell the roses, go fishing for info, take a dip in the pond. so far it's been really fun, some different puzzles, pretty good hos and great graphics. i have been playing on expert; i like to take my time and solve things. love that their are 3 modes of play, love that the bonus section is available to check out, love that the sg keeps your last place. as far as voice overs, i never really cared for them, so this is just fine with me. thanks to the dev's for another great Vogat game. yeah, i get that it started with another car crash but seriously, how would we get into these things with no intro??
gonna have to buy this one, ce and all...off to see the manager....enjoy!

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Oct 20, 11 2:52 PM
Another great game from Vogat-Great graphics, story, and sound.
Decent puzzles and H.O. scenes.
Good hint system probably would take place of the built in Strategy Guide, but I used both.
Only complaint I have is like in so many other games, the description in the H.O. scene is sometimes a little too inventive.
This game had one, like "Paddle" which sure looked like a spatula to me when I found it.
There were a couple of others, but not enough to drive me nuts, as I really enjoyed the overall game.
Thanks for bringing us this one BFG!!!

[Post New]by boomerang9939 on Oct 20, 11 9:51 PM
Just finished the demo and really enjoyed the game. I will definitely purchase it this weekend.

Thanks BF for bringing this to us! Thanks Vogat for your great quality (think I have most of your games).

J

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 20, 11 10:57 PM
Fantastic Game!! Can't wait for the next one!!

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Oct 21, 11 4:16 AM
Yay! I beta tested this one a while back and loved it! Just my kind of game and great for Halloween If you haven't dled it, give it a try! Definitely a buy for me

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Oct 21, 11 7:12 AM
I tried the demo (a very short one) and it seemed a bit disjointed to me. It seemed that the story line just didn't flow...don't know if I would call it boring. I just can't put my finger on it but this game just didn't grab me. Maybe if the trial had been a bit longer to really get you into the story,....hmmm? Don't know if I will buy this one with the hope of more as I get into the game. Graphics are okay and I too miss the voice overs.

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Oct 21, 11 10:20 AM
This game has some pros and cons.

PROs: Built-in Strategy Guide, choices of game mode, good clear graphics with neat sound effects and music

CONs: Hints fill in slowly, demo cut short to 40 minutes

There are several CE's that look good right now. My budget will only allow for one.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 21, 11 5:54 PM
VOGAT:
Thank you so much for your checking the forums for responses to your games - a huge plus for me!

I've played only the demo of this game but truly do like it. Something I really like in a game is the "animation" whether it be trees swaying, creeks running, rain falling, or wildlife moving if I click on it...those things make the game seem more "real". Interactive H0 scenes are also very nice. All of these things make me "feel more part of the game"...if that makes sense!

I didn't think to try the demo part of the bonus chapter when I played the trial...should have! And, I didn't look at the SG to see how long the game actually was. For me, a game of this sort that will last about 6 or 7 hours makes for a wonderful CE...hope it does last that long! I'm on fixed limited income so I have to really be discerning about which games I buy as CE...this is most likely one I will get.

I have to say I am simply amazed and impressed at the amount of technial knowledge and work that must go into making a such a beautiful game such as this...kudos to you and your team! And thank you!

Edited on 11/03/2011 at 7:27:28 PM PST

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Oct 26, 11 7:33 PM
finished, including the bonus section. Very good game! background music was a plus for me, as well as the pretty fine puzzles. hog scenes were sometimes tough. played on no hints/skips mode. really enjoyed...

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

skip the CE version, and story is pathetic

[Post New]by eedebeep on Oct 28, 11 7:28 AM
Finally a hard version without hints or sparkles! Game wasn't that difficult though, and the story was so stupid and boring I nearly quit. There is no spookiness in this one, unless you are scared by the background coyotes howls and annoying whispers.

What was with the character comments like "oh how exciting I love garden competitions" and "I remember my Dad working on an old car in my garage", none of these insipid comments had anything to do with game progress.

I'd give it a B for boring but it wasn't that good. C. Not worth the CE price other than the length.

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Oct 29, 11 6:38 PM
Interesting storyline and pretty good puzzles. Animation was a little clunky, but nothing I couldn't get used to after a short period of time. What I got to play of the bonus chapter was enjoyable too. I might spend a credit on the SE of this sometime so I can see how it all turns out.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 3, 11 7:31 PM
Review after playing game...I love it! The previous positive comments about the wonderful graphics, story, H0 scenes and puzzles are A-1! There was nothing about this game that I didn't enjoy. I had no technical problems whatsoever. I did get stuck a couple of times but the hint button and "task list" brought me right back on track. I looked at the SG for help only once during the whole game. I simply enjoyed playing this game...and will play the bonus chapter tomorrow! I don't regret buying this CE at all!!!! Thank you for a wonderful game offering!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Nov 10, 11 11:02 AM
I dont think VOGAT has a game that I dont have.

Super super graphics, always great storylines. This was an excellant game IHOG.

I agree with all of the many positive reviewers!!!

One small suggestion is that the down arrow be easier to use in the future I was always hitting inventory instead of the down arrow lol.

Happy gaming

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Nov 12, 11 10:02 AM
Review: Guardians of Beyond: Witchville CE
(Based on the demo)

I love the use of text to drive the story. That said, I bet more people would like this game if there was an option to turn on (or turn off) the voice overs...since many people do enjoy voice acting. Having a way to please both camps would be good.

To me, the puzzles are just the right level of difficulty. Exploration of an adventure/puzzle game is just as important as the puzzles. If I have a puzzle holding me up every turn I take, then it draws me out of the mood of the story and I lose interest. The best puzzles require a bit of detective work and some deductive reasoning...

So far I haven't encountered any riddles and that's too bad...solving a riddle for a code or clue is fun.

I love finding objects to put to use in order to move forward... on the other hand, I think it's stupid to need to cut a chain that is obviously low enough to climb over...or to fight a rat to get a lighter when a nearby table has matches on it. Those types of inconsistencies are annoying.

The Hidden Object Scenes in this game are a bit too muddled, cluttered and dark to be enjoyable. I appreciate good art and if I have to spend any amount of time hunting around in a setting, I want it to be something gorgeous to look at. It doesn't need to be literally beautiful... I just mean it needs to have more artistic quality rather than being a mess of objects.

That said, the hunt for objects in the hidden object scenes is good...some are more obscure or partially hidden, and I like that. I like the idea of having to put pieces together in order to make an object, also, but the actual implementation is a bit hit-and-miss at times.

Vogat's main talent, it seems to me, is in the creation of atmosphere and setting for their stories. I love that! Right from the start I feel drawn in to the story and interested in its outcome. I felt that way with the first chapter of Reincarnations: Back to Reality (although the subsequent chapters were not as good).

That atmosphere, the text-driven story, and the majority of the hunt for objects being in the main setting rather than held back by puzzles or hidden object scenes is why I like this game and will buy it when the SE comes out.

The drawbacks I mention above is why I'm not buying the C.E.

Edited on 11/12/2011 at 10:17:50 AM PST

[Post New]by SharonBunny on Nov 25, 11 9:34 AM
I loved this game, It has options for easy/medium/hard which I truly appreciated. I played at the medium level. The game is very detailed. The music is well done also. I tend to get annoyed at the music in most games because it is an annoyance, not true with this game. I highly recommend purchasing this game to anyone that likes a game with a good storyline that plays smoothly. There were no glitches or spots that didn't flow seamlessly. Have fun with it and I hope there is a sequel.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Dec 3, 11 1:12 PM
For anyone curious about the bonus game:

Yes it is fun, and takes about an hour or so.

Mild spoiler:

If you want to know more about the witches referenced several times during the main game, you will need the bonus game. If you don't care, the game is complete without the bonus game.

For me, this was a good use of a bonus game: it elaborates on something mentioned in the game, so I don't feel like I'm just doing mindless busywork. I liked the ending I got with the bonus game better, but you won't need it to feel like you have a "complete" game.

Edited on 12/03/2011 at 1:14:05 PM PST

Go to: