Re:Reviews for Committed: Mystery at Shady Pines

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Oct 27, 11 11:43 AM
I too found the beginning boring but reading some of the reviews will go back and play the full trial version before making a decision. Thought it was dark and sluggish.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Oct 27, 11 7:36 PM
mikkimax wrote:Hi All!!, I'm new to the forum thing..I'm stuck..The mannequins in the attic, I followed the instructions from the walkthrough but nothing happens..any suggestions..Thanks

Welcome to the forum! We try to keep spoilers out of the Reviews topic. I've started a new topic for you called "Mannequin Puzzle" and will answer you there.

Robin

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 28, 11 10:26 AM
I bought the game today at the Halloween Sale. Although the story and gameplay aren`t bad, the graphics are terrible, terrible, terrible.
I really hated having to do the HOS (hidden object scenes), because the images were just awfully done, and finding objects was just torture. Really disappointed in the graphics, if nothing else.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Oct 28, 11 3:09 PM
Simply a great little game.

Well done to the devs.
Jo

[Post New]by iluvgames55 on Oct 28, 11 9:11 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The storyline was a refreshing change, and I enjoyed it very much. It kept my interest and didn't bore me like some storylines do. Although about 3/4 through the game I had guessed the main character's identity, I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

The puzzles weren't too difficult, but some were challenging. The **** were just right as well, although some were a challenge to find some of the objects, but that makes for a good game--not too simple, yet not too hard. Well done in a giving us a great game.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Oct 29, 11 1:26 AM
Lost me from the beginning. No one who has been in a coma for three years is going to be able to get out of bed on their own. Their muscles will be too wasted. I know this is just a game, but c'mon.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 29, 11 6:13 AM
crowtrobot wrote:Lost me from the beginning. No one who has been in a coma for three years is going to be able to get out of bed on their own. Their muscles will be too wasted. I know this is just a game, but c'mon.

You could be right. And then again, maybe not. When peeps are bedridden in a hospital, they do move them about and massage their muscles, so they don`t waste away too much. But the patient would probably be too dizzy to stand up and run about after a prolonged horizontal position.

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Oct 30, 11 5:53 PM
I didn't enjoy this game and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I advise you to try it before you buy it.

Got it because so many people really seemed to like it, but I thought it was pretty awful. The graphics aren't that good and the junk-pile H0G scenes are grainy. Far too many items are almost completely hidden behind other items or unidentifiable.

The run-down sanitarium is a depressing backdrop for a game and there are large areas with nothing that is interactive. Just peeling walls and ugly furniture.

There is a pretty good map, but you can't use it to jump from place to place, which I wouldn't expect in an SE. But, would have really helped: Toward the end of the game, you need to get something on the second floor--then use it in the basement--then go to the first floor, etc. Too time consuming. Also, while the map supposedly indicates where actions are required, I got stuck several times. Didn't know what to do next. No help from the map.

As a H0/Adventure, I guess it is ok. No tech issues. But, the puzzles/mini-games are just tired. Solitare on a computer, for example. And you need to set a proper dinner setting. (Remember, forks on the left.) Yawn.

The only interesting mini-game was synching up the brain waves and I couldn't get that to work correctly and ended up skipping the last two after trying for a good while.

There is a bit of a twist in the story at the end. I was just glad it was over. (3:30 hours according to the game.)

[Post New]by sphinxvictorian on Oct 31, 11 5:19 PM
Well, that was absolutely one of the least satisfying endings to a game plot I've ever played here.

***SPOILERS***

There's certainly nothing like the warm satisfaction that comes from ending a game by leaving three innocent people to die -- including one who was injured trying to help my POV character -- and then having my character called "heroic". ***GAG***. Sure, the person my POV character did remove had to come first, but that was tragic, not triumphant. I didn't appreciate the forced choice that could have been easily plotted otherwise. It made me sad and mad, a bad result to what could have been a good game.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 1, 11 12:25 AM
This is based on the demo. I find it drab but yet I played the entire demo, maybe I thought it would get better? Im sick of the asylum theme but there are a few games that come out with it that I really like and this is a SE so obviously I was delighted to see that so I gave it a try. This game makes me feel depressed as there is nothing light or cheery about it at all, yes its an asylum but other games that did this theme found a way to make it look somewhat presentable. I think the graphics are horrible, the hidden object scenes are boring and lots of items I couldn't find because they were so grainy. You go from room to room and sometimes you go into rooms where there isn't a thing to do. Maybe there will be something to do later? The voiceovers in this game though are really good. The little girl sounded exactly how I would have pictured her sounding. If this game was offered to me free or for a DD price, Id probably buy it but I felt the gameplay was kind of slow. Even though there was a lot to do, it was primarily walking back and forth for example you would go into a room and it would say "maybe a pry bar would work" and the map would tell you to go back to a certain area and what do you know theres the pry bar. It just wasn't one of the best games Ive ever played but it definitely wasn't one of the worst. Its just ehhh average. Happy Gaming =)

[Post New]by smartvalerie on Nov 2, 11 11:17 AM
Great game loved it, not that dark or misty on my 19" screen. Best game for ages. Took me 5 hrs 45 mins but that was with breaks. Did anyone else find they were trying to hurry the last scene to escape? well done BF for bringing it to us as an SE. thank you.

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Nov 4, 11 9:24 AM
Well, played the entire demo and not really caring for this one. Graphics ok, sound ok, voice overs good but just didn't measure up. Green Hills way better. Story is same old, same old.....wake up in sanitarium, find your way out. Puzzles pretty easy, **** scenes muddy and objects hard to see. Also some tech problems with jerky black bar in middle that interupted game play. Sorry, no buy for me even as a DD. We really need some new story lines.

Mopface
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Mopface on Nov 4, 11 6:19 PM
Hi Fishies,

Sorry but it's a no buy for me as well.

While I usually enjoy these wandering around-creepy setting, stumbling upon clues "type" of games, I found the lack of clues or instructions very frustrating.

Put the piece from "my" room into Room 103's room and really still didn't advance.

I usually don't like my hand "held" in these games but maybe in this case it should be.

And then again maybe I'm too dumb to play this game.

Oh Well.

Gwion
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Gwion on Nov 7, 11 8:56 PM
I really liked this one--great story, and interesting puzzles, with a good balance between HOGs and puzzles. The HOGs were on the hard side, but not too bad. It was just that in some cases, you couldn't see all of some of the objects. The grainy filter wasn't a big issue on a regular-size screen, but it might be a pain on a laptop.

As others have said, the voice acting was excellent. I also really liked the map feature--it's very useful if you're like me and you can't figure out where to go next, or what you're supposed to be doing. The journal was well done, too.

As others have also said, this is not a cheery game, but I didn't think it was any worse than, say, the Ravenhearst games, and it wasn't the least bit gory, which I appreciated. There wasn't even any rotting food in the HOGs--I know, I know, it's just a picture, but that grosses me out

Overall I'd recommend this if you're looking for something different and challenging!

merediffy
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by merediffy on Nov 10, 11 11:08 AM
I found this game quite irritating and frustrating. The plot is interesting and different, but it's an IHOG, which I don't especially care for in the first place, but I have played them successfully.

The graphics are great. Everything was pretty much easy to find, but some items in the HOG scenes were pretty well hidden. The hint system recharges pretty quickly if you need it. I did, however, find the walthrough rather frustrating and lacking in some ways. First of all, the screen shots weren't always clear. I ended up going to another site to get one that helped me more.

The game has a lot of back and forth. Go here, there, and everywhere to find one thing. At one point it was go to the basement and 2nd floor something like 4 times just to get what you needed to do something. I skipped most of the puzzles because I have a hard time with analytical puzzles like that. I guess I should have bought a straight HOG game. I probably would have been happier.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Nov 10, 11 1:41 PM
agree with all of the postings. took me about 6 hours to finish and that was with breaks and not being in any hurry to finish..great game..

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Nov 11, 11 11:25 AM
This is something a bit different I think. It's eerie but unusually so. The artwork is different to most H0 games, and nicely done. Although the cursor takes a bit of getting used to, you soon master it so stick with it, and there is the option to change the cursor speed in the options.

The H0s are a little grainy, and some item are tucked away but I only ended up with objects I couldn't find a few times and that's what the hint is for anyway. There is no hint in the normal scenes but the map shows areas of interest if you get stuck.

3h48 is how long it took me to complete so not a huge game, but if you want a break from the run of the mill stuff give it a whirl, definitely worth a credit.

Edith9
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by Edith9 on Nov 13, 11 12:17 PM
Good game. This is really nice game and it´s SE. Not the longest one (my game time was 3:16, no skips, 2 peeks in walkthrough) but I´m quite fast player and I played CE´s that were shorter. I like a story, it seems ordinary but it is really interesting. 2 difficulty modes, graphics and music are fine. There is a map, where you can see your position, active places, hidden scenes - exactly my cup of tea. Last words - I´m happy with this purchase.

CndnPhoenix
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by CndnPhoenix on Nov 21, 11 1:02 AM

LOVED IT!

Cool graphics.
Great voiceovers.
H0 hidden in plain sight.
Spooky.
Spooky/good music.
'Nuff said.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 8, 12 5:54 PM
I got this game on a sale, It call my attention that it was after all an old hospital type of story and as usual I can not stay away from them even if I hate them at the end, just like vampire and ghost I am a sucker for those.

Still the game was not so bad, yes some bad scenes, the story was creepy and so the victim in the game.

But overall I like it.

Go to: