Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time

[Post New]by Ancientsymbols on Jan 13, 12 10:05 AM
WOW! Fabulous game.... what a well rounded game in all aspects, for me. It had wonderful graphics, art, design, story, puzzles, hidden objects, overall. Superb! Just cannot say enough! Orneon!!!

jhowa400
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by jhowa400 on Jan 15, 12 2:23 PM
I loved this game! It made sense and was long enough to be worth the money. I have bought some games and I think it is money thrown away... not this time. It was well worth the money and I wish all games were as good!

[Post New]by beathim4me on Jan 19, 12 4:50 PM
SPOILER ALERT
Just got done playing Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time. Love this game. Easy enought for ME and fun. Not to complicated. Could have done without some of the puzzles. But I had a choice to SKIP. Which I wish other games had that choice. Like Return to Ravenswood. Still can't light that darn electric board. But anyways love this game Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time. I bought the full version and was able to play & finish in 2 days.

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Jan 19, 12 8:35 PM
I really ,really enjoyed this game!I recomend it

CndnPhoenix
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by CndnPhoenix on Feb 25, 12 7:06 PM

Found it much much easier than the first two!

plumblsm
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by plumblsm on Mar 3, 12 9:41 AM
Hello fellow HOG lovers. I just finished this game and had to review it. It's definitely the best in the series. I played in the Advanced Mode. Good puzzles and many of them. Finding objects wasn't easy, but not so hard as to take away from the fun. Graphics are wonderful (I admit I do like the darker games)
Even though you had to go back to some scenes it wasn't confusing like some games I've played.
Highly recommended, lots of fun, very engaging game.

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Mar 24, 12 8:12 PM
I purchased the first two games in this series as Daily Deals (or at least on sale) and this one as a CE. When I went to play the CE I decided to just "play the trilogy" and so I have some comments about this series as a whole. I am NOT going to review the gameplay specifically, many people have already done an excellent job of that but this review is about "how good of a sequal" this game is and I have mixed feelings on that score.

Quick note about the set up between EotP #1 and EotP #2, there was a slight "mistake" in the intro of #2 that is really only noticable because I played these games back to back but the amulet stand, what game #2 is centered around, had the wrong graphics! And I only know this because one of the last tasks of #1 was to rebuild it! So having noticed that I expected something similar going to #3... And there was! #3 picks up right where #2 ends BUT they get the reason you were at the museum wrong! Argh! After the intro however, the overlap between all three games is just awesome!

Rooms in the castle are in the same location, characters are in their correct rooms, graphics, although MUCH better in this game than in the previous ones, have common elements so that you KNOW you've been there before. If you haven't played the previous games, don't worry, all of this is just "bonus" for those of us who are fans of the series and has no bearing on the gameplay itself.

Which brings me to the differences in gameplay:

What I really liked about #1 and #2 was that even though there was HOS replay, you always replayed a scene in a different style: Text list, Find All, or Replace Items (in #2 only). But that does NOT happen in this game. Yes, they make an attempt early in the game to add Replace Items but it doesn't last and it isn't as well spaced as in #2.

Also, I appreciate having the full castle available to explore (at least after you open the rooms) but in #3, unlike the previous 2 games, some of the locations "close" after you are done there. But there is just as much HOS replay, with less variety, in a shorter part of the game. To me, this is no longer an "Adventure HOG" but is "downgraded" to an "Inventory HOG" only. Yes, #3 does add more "interactive items" in each HOS but it is still a Text list...

to be continued...

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Mar 24, 12 8:21 PM
Differences in gameplay continued:

I also liked looking for extra mirrors in the HOS for #1 and #2 that are not available in #3. I'm sure that MOST people prefer the unlimited hints in #3 that were not so in the previous games but I guess I would have liked to still be looking for mirrors for one reason or another... if they are not needed to add to your hint total, at least have mirrors scattered around the castle to find as an achievement? I know, this game doesn't have those (not even in the CE) but it is just a thought!

Ok, that is really all I had to say, thanks for letting me get that all off my chest (I'm fairly certain that my comments are so late after release that no one will even read this)!

On its own merit, #3 was a GREAT game. It has some incredible features that tie the three different games together, even across different time frames but some of the features I'd come to associate with the Echoes of the Past series felt missing. I still recommend this game to everyone and I even recommend the CE (that is a FIRST by the way)!

Happy gaming!

Edited on 03/24/2012 at 8:24:37 PM PST

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Apr 5, 12 2:30 PM
Wow. Surprised at all the favorable reviews. I just played the demo for 30 minutes and was quite frustrated as there were many" need this need that's" but none of the needed pieces to be found. Thought it very frustrating.

[Post New]by Auntieginzzy on Jun 20, 12 3:57 AM
Fantastic game. I don't normally write reviews as so many of these games are very 'samey' but this is a bit different. The puzzles were challenging too. I often can get through these types of games with no problem but actually needed to use some help with this one. Like the fact that you can play extra puzzles at the end too. Highly recommended

[Post New]by citygirlretired on Jun 26, 12 3:55 PM
I READ THE REVIEWS AND THE FORUM ISSUES.... and I'm off to buy this game right now ... the reviews are tremendous ... I appreciate having all this 'contact'

ENNASOR
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by ENNASOR on Sep 11, 12 6:35 AM
Everything already said and agree with all. Do want to mention enjoyment of the hardware being at the top of the screen so that I did not have to fight it everytime I wanted to go back to a previous screen.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Dec 3, 12 6:42 PM
I've just played 2 Echoes of the Past games (this and Shadows) and I did like this one better although it seemed shorter. The puzzles were much more interesting and different in this game, and there were fewer "Put the object back where it belongs" scenes which I don't much care for. These puzzles seemed to break new ground and be a bit more of a challenge. Not so much running around here, at least the running took place between two adjacent areas and not all over the map (no there was no map here at all.) No goals either.

I played with the sound off as the music and sound effects just repeated.

My only gripe was the witch again - we didn't see much of her thankfully. She was boring and pointless except as a plot device. The game ended abruptly with the witch promising to come back, so I guess there will be an Echoes 4.

Brooke_Lyn
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Brooke_Lyn on Jan 12, 13 6:14 PM
I hate it! I'm using the word hate about a game here!! I've been stuck at the same place 6, yes 6 times pretty far in and can't move!! Started it over and over always the same place! It got to frustrating to close look at walkthrough every step of the way.. So it's one game I'll never ever finish! Ba-humbug!

dogcatmom
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by dogcatmom on Jan 24, 13 8:00 PM
This game was awesome! It was such a fun game, lots of things happening. It is great that you keep traveling. A game worth buying!

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Apr 5, 13 4:24 PM
I really liked this game, as I have all the other Echoes of the past games. I hope there will be a sequel to this one. The color and the graphic's were great. This game had a good story to it. I like the different HOS. You have to place the item into the scene instead of having to find the item. The puzzles were fun and different. I will be looking for another Echoes of the past game.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 8:46 AM
Something A Bit Different

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

I almost missed this game because I didn't like the previous episodes' graphic quality, but this game is good enough for me to rethink those earlier ones.

The story is one of my favourites - travel in time to save the day. I enjoyed the way it was handled here, involving interesting characters from different times. But it's not an edge of your seat thriller and doesn't try to be.

It gave me great pleasure to see the Inventory bar etc. at the top of the screen - I've grizzled about the problems of having it at the bottom ever since I started playing HO.

The game that offers a variety of hidden object games - the traditional list, shuffling aside through a pile of junk for your item and replacing misplaced objects - all of which were great fun. And a twist I've not seen before - a separate final item, which is the inventory item.

The HO scenes were very well executed, there was tons of interactive stuff in them, and they looked fabulous. They were very cluttered, which doesn't bother me but I know a lot of gamers don't like it.

The graphics on this one have me puzzled. For the most part the HO scenes were really well done - clear crisp colourful. But the game outside these was often really awful, and the cut scenes, which could have been such a buzz, were downright amateurish. I don't understand why a developer would do this, but it's a bad idea. This alone has caused me to give it a four instead of the five it might otherwise receive.

I wasn't too keen on the music either, although once again, some tracks were excellent while others were dreary.

One thing that I really liked about this game is that the puzzles were doable. Most of the mini-games were familiar, but put together to allow a solution more easily. I loved this because many of the standard puzzles in HOPA I have to skip. This game gave me the chance to nut through exactly what I should be doing with these kinds of puzzles so I can learn how they work. If for no other reason, I'd replay this game.

This is one game where it's really necessary to try it first. Some players are going to hate the visuals, although many have praised them. And some may hate the puzzles because they're too easy.

I recommend this game!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 1, 13 12:50 AM
Finished the demo, and so far it seems too easy. I already got rooked into buying another SPOOKY sale game because of great reviews, and I hated it, so I'm hesitating to buy this one, even at half price.

I don't like having the inventory items bar at the top, and even worse, you can't lock it open. Also, the hints are the "nothing to do here, try looking elsewhere" type, which I find totally useless. If you get stuck, you have to get completely out of the game to look at the walkthrough.

If I do decide to get it, I'll post a full review, but for now I'm on the fence.

Edited on 11/01/2013 at 9:40:31 PM PST

Go to: