kathey12
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

Re:Reviews for Time Mysteries: The Ancient Spectres Collector's Edition

[Post New]by kathey12 on Nov 4, 11 11:57 AM
Thank you to the developers for one of the BEST games I've had the pleasure to play!
This game had EVERYTHING I wanted in a game, from "time travel" (hint of Mortimer Beckett), beautiful graphics, excellent story line, playable mini games at the end of the game, challenging puzzles, adventure, and on and on.
Many thanks to both BF and to the developer!
I'm eager to play the next release!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 4, 11 1:19 PM
It has been a long wait but finally a CE that is worth the extra money... It's a buy for me.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Nov 4, 11 2:46 PM
Wow, not interesting at all. I don't get all the gushing over this one, or comparisons to other, great games. This one is so DULL, visually, game-play, everything. Even the voice actress sounds bored. Buh bye, no buy.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 4, 11 4:59 PM
kathey12 wrote:This game had EVERYTHING I wanted in a game, from "time travel" (hint of Mortimer Beckett), beautiful graphics, excellent story line , playable mini games at the end of the game, challenging puzzles, adventure, and on and on.

I definitely agree !

Best to me as an adventure lover who inclines to get rather tired of having to do hos-after-hos is the option to play the match 3.
It's well done/fun. Fantastic: now it's not necessary to spend a lot of time searching for those last few hos items--or any at all if we prefer!

This feature promptly tipped the scales for me, making the game a definite CE buy.

To add, the cutscenes, graphics & artwork are fantastic--it all looks awesome on my 24" screen. It is 'misty' for effects, & lots of browns & dark eerie scenes.

Top quality here, lots of love put in: good mix of fun puzzles & an engaging, very well-plotted story that all comes together...
And there are NO sparkles on Expert!

ETA: for those thinking it's all dark & dreary scenes, we do get to restore time periods & see the mansion in bright glory & some other light places too.
Plus, many hos are vibrant brightly coloured--likewise, the hos are not all outright junkpiles. Actually I enjoyed the hos & usually I don't so much.

And it's a nice long game!

Edited on 11/04/2011 at 9:59:13 PM PST

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Nov 4, 11 5:41 PM
Thanks for all the rave reviews... buying this without trying... I KNOW it will be fantastic!!!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 4, 11 7:05 PM
Well, I'm not getting what all the rave is about.... I am finding this to be very hazy visually overall, too dark and saturated in color, cluttered and undefined as far as the locations and the SFX is annoying... flow of the game is off and disjointed AND the voice acting is, well, very 'acted'....

Just can't get into this one at all.

Disappointed because with all the excitement, I thought it would be a real winner for me, but, NOT.

Oh well to each their own.

[Post New]by SacredLites on Nov 4, 11 8:19 PM
This is my first post but I just HAD to considering the difference that this game offered as far as opting out of hidden objects portions and playing a match three instead; how unique and a fun twist. The game wasn't too, too difficult but kept me very busy and engrossed which I found very refreshing. I love TM games but HOG are offered more often so I've started playing them. Happy gaming everyone!! And this is also a great adventure game for those who enjoy that, you will never be stuck in one area for too long.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 5, 11 1:25 AM
tuttepeever wrote:
tuttepeever wrote:Beautiful graphics but too much handholding in the game. Without the hint system, which doesn't need any time to recharge,( a huge bonus) I would have been lost. The hint system is so good that one doesn't need a strategy guide.

Now that I am almost finished I am sad to say that I didn't enjoy this game at all. There was no challenge since either the SG or the always available Hint was a necessity. Far too much walking to and fro and that seems to be the current trend with the CE's. Not doubt in order to make the game seem longer. Sort of like inserting a much larger carboard roll into the toilet paper to make it seem like you get more.

I am becoming very ticked off with all this back and forth. Doesn't make for a good game to me.

Hm, sorry that you don't appreciate all of the running around in these types of games. I thought that this was an integral part of a good game of this type, along with finding and using the "correct" items. Though in this game you needed to use some intuition and follow the clues given to you to complete the tasks - and of course be prepared to search all of the times available to you to find the scene or item needed. This was fun for me, but not so for you it seems.
And the use of the SG is optional. I prefer to try and muddle my way through myself - no matter how many extra grey hairs it costs me, but it does add to my satisfaction when I have done it myself.
Really, this is a great example of this type of game, and does not support your toilet roll theory in any way.
Cheers

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 5, 11 7:36 AM
Quick update to add to 'review' I've already posted--
Zero aim to spotlight any particular fishy, thus just a response to some folks' experiences:
Far too much walking to and fro... in order to make the game seem longer.
Beautiful graphics but too much handholding in the game.
Usually hate to & fro padding too, yet here gorgeous difference is, time travel is not a padding gimmick! It's part of the actual puzzleing.
We must think about where to use our items--& the why ? is cleverly & IMV mostly logically built right into the storyline (except a few long hunts for jars/bottles)!
That is, overall the devs really play 'fair' with us--no cheating us with crazy objects/tasks that have no even semi-sane purpose.

I can see how it could frustrate, yet I loved this part of the adventuring. I really had to stay sharp & care a lot about the story.

On Expert there are no sparkles (except to show hos), no hints on the map, thus unless you hunt in the SG, game does not handhold;
it's quite challenging yet never hideously so.
Took me > 9 hours to finish (on Expert, hardly any hints), pretty much non-stop, I was having such fun--perfect level of challenge!

Times I got stuck were my own fault: either careless searching for tools etc or a brain power deficit.
CE definitely worth every penny IMV.

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 2:00:41 AM PST

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Nov 5, 11 1:57 PM
I really liked this game and thought it well worth the CE price. Played in expert mode and not sure how long it would have taken me to finish it. To me it was a very long game. I particularly liked the choice to play the hidden object scenes or switch to match 3 and I always like the interactive hos. I liked the voices. Only dislike was the music, too repetitious. Don't understand with all the great music available why devs keep the music so repetitive.

Should read "how long it would have taken me without the guide".

Edited on 11/05/2011 at 1:58:17 PM PST

johnandi5
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by johnandi5 on Nov 5, 11 3:39 PM
This is a great game. It took me hours to finish in expert mode and was well worth the price of the CE. My only niggle is the strategy guide has some wrong wording in it which threw me. I thought I had made a mistake. I very rarely have to use a SG but this game was very intricate and I lost my way a little at one point. That's because it was very late or should I say early and I needed to get some sleep lol....this game is addictive and I didn't want to stop playing it. I was sad when it finished. Will look forward to games from this developer again in the future. Had everything we like about a CE.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Nov 5, 11 8:38 PM
Overall, I think it's a great game, very absorbing and challenging without being impossible. I didn't have to use hints or the strategy guide to figure out where I needed to go next, thanks to the device. Once you get where you're supposed to be, though, it's up to you to figure out what to do, and that's what makes a game fun to play. I always appreciate shortcuts. And I liked having an option for the hidden-object scenes, as they can get tedious after a while.

The main criticism I have to level against the game is that there are no explanations for how to play the mini-games. As I hadn't played versions of a few of the mini-games, I was left to flounder around and figure them out, and I had to resort to the SG for one. Which I don't like to do. I'd appreciate it if the makers would please consider having explanations for how to play the mini-games available in the game itself.

Also, is it just me, or did the music sound like it was cribbed directly from Guy Richie's Sherlock Holmes?

I'm working my way through the bonus game now.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Nov 5, 11 10:14 PM
SacredLites wrote:This is my first post but I just HAD to considering the difference that this game offered as far as opting out of hidden objects portions and playing a match three instead; how unique and a fun twist. The game wasn't too, too difficult but kept me very busy and engrossed which I found very refreshing. I love TM games but HOG are offered more often so I've started playing them. Happy gaming everyone!! And this is also a great adventure game for those who enjoy that, you will never be stuck in one area for too long.

There is another game that has the "opt out of hos" and playing "match three" instead...just cannot remember which one it is!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Nov 6, 11 12:45 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I'll be replaying the first of these games to determine if I buy this as a collector's edition or not. Right now, probably not, although I will likely get the standard edition. I enjoy the time travel element of the game, particularly how certain things you do in the past have some influence on the future (it reminds me of the old game Chrono Trigger for the Super Nintendo, where you had to do several things in different eras in order to compete the game...my favorite was when you saved one of the character's mothers in the past so that she was not crippled in the future, which was not important to the story, but pleasant to accomplish all the same).

The music is boring, which is why I'm always glad for the slider letting you turn it all the way down or off. Visually, the game is not the greatest, as the scenes seem unfinished, as in comic books that haven't been completed yet.

I disliked some of the hidden-object scenes, as I have yet to figure out why every game like this one seems populated by absolute slobs. I mean, really, did these people not have maids? Sheesh. Other than that, there isn't much new in either the hidden-object scenes or the other gaming elements. The story is interesting enough that my demo time flew by, leaving me disappointed that it was over. That is a good thing.

Again, I liked the game, but I'll need to go through the first one again to see if I liked it (I honestly don't recall, which is never a good sign). For now, I'll probably wait a few months, since there is another collector's edition coming out soon that I'll be buying no matter what (three guesses which one) so I need to save up.

In any case, enjoy!

Thanks for the review! Have been waiting for it to make my final decision for this game. I'm not buying the CE, maybe the SE when it comes out.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 6, 11 1:17 AM
chumface wrote:There is another game that has the "opt out of hos" and playing "match three" instead...just cannot remember which one it is!

It's called "Phantasmat".

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 6, 11 1:59 AM
Kyasarin wrote:Overall, I think it's a great game, very absorbing and challenging without being impossible...
The main criticism I have to level against the game is that there are no explanations for how to play the mini-games.

It does have explanations for the mini-games.
Use the 'Hint' button--that provides the standard instructions/info on how to play.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Nov 6, 11 4:51 AM
Very good good game , based on the demo I have played, but there are aspects in this game that made me uncertain if to keep playing or not!
I founf the hid obj scene grany and too piled up, which make very difficul to find object; the alternative to play the puzzle instead, to solve the hid scenes, doesn't make much sense, it takes away the challenge of the game, also i din't like much the music, too repetitive and sad.
But maybe is just me, I am not exactly in the right mood at this time to play this type of game, so I decided to try the collector which came out today based on the novel of Dana Knigstone , and see if it fits better my actual feelings, and than I'll see, but definetly I put this one on my list of game worth to play, for now happy gaming to those whom are playing to the end!!!

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 4:54:47 AM PST

[Post New]by MalteseBaby on Nov 6, 11 6:54 AM
I rarely post about the plethora of usually excellent and occasionally disappointing games I purchase from BFG, so you probably don't know me yet.
I am a 30-something year old psychologist married to an executive. Pets, no children. Great deal of leisure time.
Since 2009, I buy an avg. of 12-15 BFG/ mth,. If a game doesn't draw me in and keep my interest, I'd rather go do something else than slog through it. Also, I am more of a " Gardenscapes" and " Dream Day Wedding series" lover than I am of anything dark and occult. Some games can manipulate my emotions in ways that I do not like. I thought this game would be fraught with darkness and occult, and there is a sm. measure of it, but the demo convinced me that there was a great story within the game. What I really liked was the HOPE and the beauty of the music and scenes.. I never felt gloom and doom surrounding me in an oppressive way. Never felt stuck! I've rarely encountered a game with as much leeway on the hint system as this game has.

I played in full screen mode. Excellent quality. I never experienced any lack of quality in graphics, sound, anything. I have a new top of the line laptop made for gaming. I didn't play the first game " Time Mysteries: The Inheritance" ( I don't think- I also have a tendency to play and promptly forget the name of the game regardless of how great it was).
With that said, this game is a stand- alone game, IMO. I may go back and buy the first one now that I know there is another by the same developers-- not sure. I am definitely going to be extremely upset if there is not a sequel to this one forthcoming SOON!!!!

I loved the storyline. There is a part that is being left out of the reviews and it is not a spoiler, IMO, as it does NOT affect game play but is an integral part of the game play and the SL from the start..
This beautiful game has a peripheral tie in to the Arthurian legend.
I won't say what or who the characters are, but once I knew 2 character from Arthur's life story were featured, it was definitely an added incentive for me to purchase it!! Just as there are fans of oh, say, the Nancy Drew games, there are many devotees to the legend of Camelot. I think the game should have been promoted with an emphasis upon the Arhurian tie in.

Mainly, I want to add my voice to those who are asking for a sequel. This game begs for continuation past the ending.

Definitely a 5 out of a possible 5.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Nov 6, 11 12:04 PM
Janie42 wrote:
Kyasarin wrote:Overall, I think it's a great game, very absorbing and challenging without being impossible...
The main criticism I have to level against the game is that there are no explanations for how to play the mini-games.

It does have explanations for the mini-games.
Use the 'Hint' button--that provides the standard instructions/info on how to play.

Not for all of them. The Brass Leaves puzzle didn't.

[Post New]by kardow2 on Nov 6, 11 12:37 PM
cbtx wrote:
Based on about 45 minutes of gameplay.

Now this is what a Collector's Edition should be. This one has all the things I look for in a CE. First, the devs took the step to include aspect correction which allows the game to fill the screen--shows attention to detail and pride in the game. Second, the graphics are beautiful and very crisp. Third, the story is interesting---leaves me wanting more. Fourth, the game allows a toggle between hidden object scenes amd mini-games. Fifth, the SG keeps up with the gameplay (more attention to detail).
In addition to all these plusses, the bonus game appears long (judging from the SG) and the other extras are ok---I like being able to return to the puzzles and mini-games.
Again, everything a CE SHOULD offer for the requested money so it's a buy for me!
Kudos to the devs and BFG for this one!

Go to: