Naomi124
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial

[Post New]by Naomi124 on Nov 5, 12 4:51 AM
I played Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Black Cat and really enjoyed it, so frankly I expected this game to be a little better than it was.

Good points:

1. great graphics
2. beautiful music
3. interesting storyline

Things that needed improvement:

1. too many very repetitive hidden object games
2. oddly some hidden objects were incorrectly described; making game play frustrating at times. eg. a goblet listed as a bowl
3. as mentioned by another player, the instructions for most of the mini games were not very clear, also making game play frustrating.

Overall I'd give this game a 5 out of 10. With some small changes it could have been a 9.

[Post New]by Flamingo13 on Jan 31, 13 3:17 AM
Fun game, but very challenging. No hints except in HOS made it frustrating, as well. lol

Hope to find more like it

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 26, 13 6:33 PM
Just completed the SE and thoroughly enjoyed it..There were a lot of HOG scenes which I love, some objects were really well hidden ( average 1-2 per scene I really had to work to find...Also a lot of wondering around to find what to do next and had to refer to Walkthrough a few times but did not mind
Scene changes took a little longer than usual but no big deal...Like I said, really enjoyed playing it
I'll give this one &1/2 out of 5.. a map would have helped:/

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 5, 13 7:19 AM
Almost As Good As The Rest

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

The third in the Dark Tales series, this game, while I love it, is my least favourite. It has all the really good stuff that you’d expect from this series, and a few unexpected, but it is somewhat frustrating to play.

The movie-like, exciting and intriguing opening scene lets you know straight away that again we’re take a leap forward in terms of gameplay. So, of course, we have been promoted to M. Dupin’s associate, as he introduces us in his beautiful new lip synced voice. With the title comes a considerable increase in the amount of time and effort it will take to solve this mystery.

This macabre story is quite a bit more complex than the previous ones and so takes quite a bit more in the telling. Still, you must venture out on your own with no map or hint button.

The puzzles continue to be easy, relatively speaking, but only sketchily described. Likewise, making your next move is pretty well left up to you for most of the game.

Somehow I always manage to overlook some small but crucial item and end up having to reach for the walkthrough. I find this game less intuitive than the others.
Another innovation, collectibles, has us keeping one eye open for roses along the way. Tip: It’s worth your while to find them all.

Little nagging things are wrong with “Premature Burial”. Weird names for the objects on the list. Using a knife to cut a rope that “will be useful later”, but which does not end up in inventory.

A sudden change in the black bar hints to full on hand-holding three quarters into the game. And a couple of weird little side quests. They all make for a more confusing game than the others in the Dark Tales series.

But I still think it is an excellent game, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good story told in game play.

I recommend this game!

[Post New]by TabithaMoon on Apr 5, 13 8:10 AM
This is a great addition to the Edgar Allan Poe series, but it has a major flaw that makes already-difficult HO scenes impossible to complete without using Hint.

There are items in the list that are mislabeled, such as a comb is actually a brush, a bowl is actually a goblet, and a few others I can't remember. Unless you use Hint or click on every item, you won't find those. I certainly hope the developers are more careful next time.

As a personal complaint, I didn't like the sudden onslaught of HO scenes near the end. It seemed like I couldn't make a move unless I did another HO area, I'd leave that place only to find I had to do another, then another, like a chain of them. I realize this is a mixed game with HO scenes, but there is such a thing as too much. If I wanted to play I Spy, I would play I Spy.

Other games are starting to come out that let the player choose to skip the HO scene or choose between playing the HO scene or another mini-game like Mahjong. The results are the same, as in finding necessary items for progression with either mini-game you choose. I would like to see more of these kinds of games.

Like I said, I realize fans of HOGs wouldn't mind this, but for people like me who just want to get on with actually solving the mystery, I think we should have a choice. It's a personal opinion, though. The game, either way, was beautifully crafted and the length was well worth the purchase. (In other words, not over within an hour or two of buying it.)

All in all, I am looking forward to the next Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe.. installment!

[Post New]by questionbox1994 on Apr 17, 13 12:08 PM
Am at the house with the dog asleep. I have clippers, magnet and metal stick. Can not find what to do with them or where to get the triangle key. I like this game but it is really hard at times with no hints. Thanks for any help.

[Post New]by princess2828 on May 8, 13 12:20 PM
I very much enjoyed this game I liked the graphics and the pictures. It was the hardest game I have played as there are no hints unless you are playing a HO Scene I enjoyed the challenge and was sucessful at completeing the game. I only looked at the game walkthrough once and when I read the Reveiws I thought oh no I'm in trouble now but that wasn't the case. I play casual but in this game I really don't think their is a casual with no hints. I would highly recommend this game to anyone who likes a challenge. I would rate this game a 5 for everything. princess2828

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Re: Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 18, 13 3:42 AM
Murky HO scenes are terrible!! Also, I had to use a hint to find a netsuke, because not being Japanese, I hadn't any idea what one was. Why didn't they just say it in English?

The second time visiting the same HOS, I needed to find a chestnut. Living in Texas, I've never seen a chestnut in real life. I don't even know what kind of trees they grow on. I had no clue what to look for. So I had to use a hint for that, too.

In one of the HOS, a sabre turned out to be a tiny black line that looked like a crack in a piece of wood.

The other problem I'm having is that there are no hints outside of the HOS!!! If I have to keep using the walkthrough instead of being able to click a hint button for help, this isn't going to be my favorite game ever.

Edited on 08/08/2013 at 10:54:40 PM PST

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on Oct 27, 13 8:23 AM
sorrry big fish i did not like this game the scenes were too dark and there was no hint system.

[Post New]by looby67 on Nov 24, 13 6:28 PM
I have enjoyed the game but am very frustrated because I couldn't find the last rose I have played the game twice and still can't find it so am not able to complete!

Go to: