mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Templar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mary102696 on Nov 10, 11 8:19 PM
satexasgirl wrote:But some time ago (and I do mean some time) I ran across a post from another fishie that helped me out and now it's rare for a game not to appear in full screen. I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. I run windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Here's what I did. I right clicked on my desktop. About 2/3 of the way down I clicked on " graphics options" from there I clicked on " panel fit" and selected "scale full scree" and voila-games with rare exception these days fill my wide screen. I don't know that it would work for everyone-I happened to be playing around on my mother's computer-it's an HP, and I couldn't find all of that the way I did on mine

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!! I am running windows 7 64 bit but an hp and I just did what you said!!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 10, 11 10:30 PM
Well golly - I was expecting at least 8 pages of reviews by now! Please, if you've finished the game put in your 2 p & let us know what you thought of "that which is beyond the free demo" & thanks to the 1 or 2 who have let us know just that!

0Jade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by 0Jade on Nov 11, 11 5:10 AM
I have to say I am also on the fence about this one. I am intrigued by the story, but the lagging cursor (which at first I thought was a "whine" by zippy players) was really bothersome. It almost feels as if you are pulling your mouse across the page. Don't think I'll buy it yet, I'll see if the developers fix that issue first.

[Post New]by scwill22452 on Nov 11, 11 8:02 AM
I'm rating this 5 STARS out of 5 WOW! WOW! WOW! Best game of the year for sure Story great, graphics great, A buy for sure I;m very impressed and I don't post often but just had to this time would love to see more in this series Templar Ghosts OH YEAH!

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Nov 11, 11 9:24 AM
I had just finished replaying Elephant Games excellent Raincliff when I saw that Templar had been released and was very, very excited about this game. Unfortunately, after playing the demo, I will be waiting for the SE.

Not that this is a bad game, far from it. The production values are superb with stunning scenery, spooky cut-scenes and a story with an unusual hook. Sure, you're tracking down your long-lost whoever but you're saving them from glowing Templars who may or may not be ghosts. Fascinating.

**** scenes are junkpile with a few multi-step items but they are entertaining. I haven't quite figured out what makes a fun vs boring junkpile but whatever it is Elephant Games have figured it out. The ****'s work which is good because there are quite a few of them.

Mini-games are hugely varied but most have been used before. The majority aren't quite logic puzzles, they are mechanic puzzles where you need to move this level, slide that ring or what have you. I was a bit disappointed. Although there was one simple chessboard puzzle that took some thought to puzzle out what was expected. The solution was simple, working it out was fun.

But the heart of any H0/Adventure is the inventory items and figuring out how to use them. If that is too easy, you are just running around the gorgeous scenery filling in blanks. Wrench to turn knob to open cupboard to get lock piece. If you know what you need before you find it, there is no challenge. There needs to be a certain amount of desperately back-tracking trying random items on random things until "Ah HA!" you figure it out. Even on the hardest level, I was never stuck & breezed through the demo with 32 minutes to spare.

Remember, the hero is stuck in an unfamiliar place, they need to use whatever they come across. The occasional wrench is fine, but it's always like a tool box exploded, scattering necessaries for our hero to find. Can't someone please use broken rebar as a crowbar, a butter knife as a screwdriver?

But even worse: If the item wasn't obvious, the dialog told me what I needed. Devs, for your next game can you please offer a no-hint dialog option for the advanced level? Turn off those text hints or maybe just have the hero thinking about the danger he is in. "This building could collapse at any moment" would add far more excitement then having the hero say "It is too far to jump, I need some way to get down" immediately before going into a room with a ladder.

HondaTrike
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by HondaTrike on Nov 11, 11 9:49 AM
Curious -- a game "MCF" was mentioned a couple of times. What game is that??

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 11, 11 10:09 AM
Honda - "MCF" is Mystery Case Files - we're all saving our pennies and drooling in anticipation & fervent hope that a new one in that series will be coming out this month!

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Nov 11, 11 10:19 AM
The game just keeps getting better the farther along you go. I love it. If you think about it, its a cheap price for what you get. For a few dollars you get hours of entertainment in your home. Everyday I look to see what new games are out, and its nice that you can demo it before buying. I have been to several movies and wished I could of gotten a refund. I know what i am buying and like I said for home entertainment this is the best. This game is colorful, has drama, love going from place to place and figuring out what to do next. I like the blend of real people in it. They continue to get better and better. Thankyou so much to the developers to bring this fun inside our homes. No complaints here at all. The only negative thing I have to say about this game is; I know its going to end sooner or later. I own many many games, love the idea of being able to go back to some of them and play them over and at a harder level. Some games are better than others, and this one is right at the top. Definitly getting my moneys worth. Would rather be home on this cold snowy day where i live, dark almost 24hrs a day and this brings much added pleasure. Thankyou so much again, great game.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Nov 11, 11 10:20 AM
oops didnt mean to double the comment

Edited on 11/11/2011 at 10:23:24 AM PST

simisola
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by simisola on Nov 11, 11 10:37 AM
CasualGran wrote:Goodday fishies!

Another thursday and another CE. Often enough it appears to be a somewhat average game with a little bit of extra's here and there. But this time it's a real CE, worthy to pay double price for. At least that's what I think.

A gorgeous intro to start with (very handsome young man by the way ) and good voice-overs (which I always appreciate very much!). Then an intriguing story starts, making me curious how all this will develop. And finally a thrilling movie-like cutscene introducing the first chapter and our first location: a hotelroom. A few searches through the room and the first H0 scene appears. Which is the point I stopped the trial to write this review.

An absolute winner, this new Elephant product! Crisp-clear graphics, good voice-overs, beautiful designed objects to find in non-junkpile H0 scenes and enough excitement and eyecandy to please a lot of fishies. I'm definitely pleased, I can tell you that!

I give this CE, after only playing a couple of minutes of the first location:

5 out of 5

Enjoy! I know I will for sure!

Great review, echoing all my sentiments about this wonderful game, thanks CasualGran. And yeah, I thought Carl was kind of cute A little eye candy never hurts.

Wonderful story line, lovely graphics and animation, well done HOS and mini-puzzles. The only complaint I have is having to leave the game to access the SG at Main Menu each time. Nevertheless, I haven't enjoyed a game so much since the last MCF game. Thank you so much Elephant games and BFG, what a treat! I'll be sad when it's over but look forward to maybe any future games in their "Hallowed Legends" collection.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 11, 11 3:30 PM
simisola wrote: The only complaint I have is having to leave the game to access the SG at Main Menu each time.

Actually, I think there's a Strategy Guide button in the bottom right. Or somewhere. I was certainly able to access it without having to go to the menu...

mkinyon
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mkinyon on Nov 11, 11 6:57 PM
Oof! Well, this one hits me where it hurts, because I was planning to save for the next MCF. Hrm, what to do?

I generally like Elephant Games, though I wouldn't say I am a drooling fanboy. For instance, although I like the Mystery Trackers series and am looking forward to Black Isle, I thought the first Hallowed Legends game, Samhain, was only so-so, and I didn't care much for Grim Tales: The Bride.

Perhaps the biggest weaknesses of this game and of other Elephant Games are those other folks have already mentioned here: (1) The minigames tend to be way too easy and are recycled from game to game, and (2) the narrative text tends to give away too much information, as in:

"Oh good, I found the special key with the triangular shaped head which will probably fit that triangular shaped keyhole I saw earlier in the secret laboratory."

That's not a spoiler, because I totally made it up. However, it is not much of an exaggeration. And that's why I am really on the fence about this game.

I guess I shouldn't just mention what bothers me, but also what I like. As usual with Elephant, where this game grabs you is in the premise of its story. Sometimes they push the weird aspects too far (for instance, while I liked the idea of the first Lost in the City game, it eventually became almost incoherent), but at least in the demo, this one seems fine. This time, as you can guess from the title and other reviews, nasty Templars are terrorizing a town. The familiar trope is that you are looking for your lost brother. (Someday, I wish someone would make a game where your goal is not to look for one of your relatives, but rather to try to avoid all of them. Of course, that's probably much too close to real life to make a good game.) I'm only mildly familiar with the Templar genre in literature, so I'll leave the nitpicks about how it matches that genre's expectations to others.

Elephant makes some of the best junk pile hidden object scenes, and this game is no exception. Plus there are achievements for the achievement junkies, and I confess I am one of them.

I'll close this indecisive review by telling you the part that really cracked me up. When you receive the letter from your sister-in-law telling you that your brother is missing, she signs it "Cordially...." I found that hilarious. Maybe it's just me.

Terrenis
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Terrenis on Nov 12, 11 3:41 AM
I just finished the demo version in 34 minutes and I must say this game is a great one. The graphics are absolutely breathtaking and I really like the plot.However...Unfortunately it seems a little bit short for a CE and so I'll have to wait for the SE to come out.

Terrenis

simisola
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by simisola on Nov 12, 11 7:07 AM
SoManyCrimes wrote:
simisola wrote: The only complaint I have is having to leave the game to access the SG at Main Menu each time.

Actually, I think there's a Strategy Guide button in the bottom right. Or somewhere. I was certainly able to access it without having to go to the menu...

Thanks SoManyCrimes, don't know how I missed that, thanks. This makes this game a near perfect one for me then! Everyone has their own taste, what they like and don't like. But I am surprised by all the negative comments aimed at a game I thought was way above most of the ones I play. I can't emphasize how much I really enjoyed the game!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Nov 12, 11 2:10 PM
I just finished the game and I really liked it. The graphics were great, the story original - I love games based on real historical events or people. Unfortunately, for me, I guess, the mini-games were hard. I skipped quite a few of them mostly because I found the instructions very confusing. Normally I like the mini-games but felt very frustrated with these. My curser also was slow. I was going to get fresh batteries (!!) but decided to quick try one of my other games and it worked fine. Overall, I think its a quality game and I had a very good time playing!!

feenix

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Nov 12, 11 2:54 PM
Finally finished this game! I really liked it at first, but somewhere around mid-game, it became tedious and boring. When that happens, I close a game down, wait a few hours or the next day or two and pick it back up. I just never could get back into this one. I love Elephant games and have never been disappointed in them, so I'm going to chalk up this experience as it was just ME and the million things running through my mind.

I highly encourage everyone sitting on the fence about this one to give it a try. I'm definitely going to shelf this one and play it again later when I'm not so preoccupied. (but FIRST, I'm going to wait a day or two and replay the bonus game using a different ending!! )

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 12, 11 3:03 PM
Tried the tip from satexasgirl hoping that might help on the widescreen issue but no luck so I guess I'll just have to go with what Customer Service has said----it's not my computer or my OS, but is simply a programming issue. A real shame because the game is ok otherwise (except for the slow cursor) but I think that for the extra money being asked for a CE that this issue should be corrected. Oh well, glad to know it has nothing to do with my computer or OS.
Happy gaming to all.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 11 3:48 PM
@ mkinyon who said:

"The familiar trope is that you are looking for your lost brother. (Someday, I wish someone would make a game where your goal is not to look for one of your relatives, but rather to try to avoid all of them. Of course, that's probably much too close to real life to make a good game.) "

Thanks needed a good laugh! funniest thing I believe I ever read in a review (and your name, you keep your kin yonder too?)

I'm on the fence, CE or wait. My demo timed out when someone came to my door and I thought I did Exit but not all the way. I do wish demos had a PAUSE without having to leave the game. Now I can't even remember where I was but had hoped this game would come soon. Templars and the controvery re good/bad guys is interesting to me historically. Depends on which side of the church/politics one was on then and now...whoever had the money had the power and were a threat. They did start the first banking system in Europe and wherever crusading so travelers weren't robbed carrying wealth with them as a sidenote.

I liked Elephant til Raincliff where I never got past demo and first hour bought, way too much for me to remember even taking notes.No desire to even resume. But loved the Void, played twice. I follow players who say it is too easy for them and figure probably just right for me, and the more HOS the better.

Extra punch weekend for CE or SE forcing decisions, can't decide Templars now mostly unseen trial, or Weird Park, so far fun.

No, I'm not advanced (just in age and # of games bought) always play Easy or Casual, the more sparkles the better (Adventures for Dummies) the less having to do SG or WT the better. Less puzzles the better. But great artwork pushes me over my line, detail, color, light with interaction. Is this it?

Which is more fun? And was bonus in Templar CE a good play? Thanks

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Nov 12, 11 4:38 PM
I purchased this game within 10 minutes of the trail. I knew it was going to be great and I was not disappointed. I savored every minute of play.

All the usual expectations we HOG lovers enjoy are to be found in this game plus extra efforts thrown in by the creative team.

Good work all and I look forward to a sequel. Thanks for bringing us the game.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 12, 11 6:23 PM
Wow! what can I add that others have not already? Guess I'll just ditto that the graphics are beautiful, the music great, the animations and voice overs fantastic, and the real people a nice touch. The mini games are also very good, and I love the fact that you can choose between three different levels of play. Still deciding if I want to purchase at CE or SE pricer later. Hmm, will think about it. In any case, great game!

Go to: