chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville

[Post New]by chumface on Dec 14, 11 7:59 PM
It was worth the price...good length. I just got a little bored toward the end, thinking "I want to finish this so I can move on to a different game!"

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Dec 20, 11 9:45 AM
OMG
the game makers do it again!
Vogat makes great games
puzzles were decent, H.O.s were very good
and story kept going and going and was very good
i have loved ALL their games
hope they keep it up...i count on them for gg

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Jan 3, 12 7:49 AM
Wonderful! Everything I've come to expect from Vogat; beautiful, crisp graphics, a good storyline, challenging mini-games and not too many HOS. As if that weren't enough, the game filled my wide screen.
Other Devs please note!

Many, many thanks.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jan 18, 12 10:34 AM
A decent sized game that kept me interested all the way through. I had a good pace throughout game. Some areas I knew right what to do and some other areas I was stumped. Good Hint system. Fun puzzles and interactive H0 scenes.

Was satisfied with the ending on this SE game. (even though I always wonder what's in the CE ending.

Sunshinej

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Jan 23, 12 5:46 PM
OK, here's my review of Guardians of Beyond: Witchville:

Options: Offered are Sound, Music, Custom Cursor, Full Screen, Widescreen. Game modes are Casual, Advanced & Expert.

Graphics: Vogat knows how to produce good graphics & scenery, but I have to say that the cutscenes were not up to their usual expertise. They used the same posed characters over and over that made me feel I was watching a puppetshow with stick figures.

Voices/Sounds/Music: There were no voice-overs that I remember, very little in the way of sounds & the music was kinda blah for me.

Minis/HOGs: The minis were good and the HOGs, altho junkpiles, were for the most part clear and good-sized. I was very surprised however to find that in at least 2 of the HOG games, what was asked for was not what you needed to click on - once it was asking for a cup, but you had to click on a flask, and the other time was looking for peapods which turned out to be okra! In one of the minis, I needed to turn all tanks to blue, when in fact they were supposed to be turned to green. Very sloppy!

Game Overall: Like many other fishes already expressed, I am so tired of car crash scenes. The only part of that scene that caught my eye was the old fashioned steering wheel (Chevy perhaps?) But surely there has to be some different way to start a game other than a crash?! I wasn't happy with the inventory bar either. Each time I went down with the cursor to exit a scene, the inventory would pop up. Don't get me wrong - I really love Vogat games as a general rule, but I really couldn't get into this one. I love dark, haunting type games, but this was neither for me. I also really didn't care much for the characters or the story line. This for me was not one of Vogat's finest. I'm sorry that I am looking for more - whether it's a HOG or adventure - I don't think there's any excuse for throwing out a game not ready for play.

Recommendations: This is a good game for people who are forgiving of details or who aren't jaded from the many other great games that are out there. I don't want to discourage anyone from playing this one, but it was a let-down for me.

Out of 5 stars, I give this one

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 2, 12 7:57 PM
This game was truly enjoyable to play, nice HOscenes, nice plot and the story line kept me playing none stopping.

Very nice graphics too.

jhowa400
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by jhowa400 on Feb 10, 12 10:50 AM
Not a fan...I found this game so boring and hard to even follow. I had to constantly check for hints and I'm not that dumb. Graphics were just so - so. Save your money

paula3522
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by paula3522 on Feb 16, 12 11:19 AM
barbee44 wrote:
FORTUNATUS wrote:
So far looks like "same ole same ole"....

Yeah, I get it that a lot of gamers are 'into' this stuff, but, MAN, am I tired of the witch, demon, ghosts, evil, dark themes..... ALL the eyeballs, skulls, spiders, bugs, snakes, slimy whatevers, and the game intro scene with the car goin off the road thing, delapitaded buildings, fire, hell and damnation. Enough all ready!

Yeesh!!!!!! Maybe I'm goin to play solitaire until things change.

I'm also getting tired of HOG scenes. More FROGS and More adventure with puzzles.... enough HOGS.
It's worn thin.

I so agree with you! Love the frogs I too am getting tired of looking for a needle or a spoon....

Edited on 02/16/2012 at 11:20:39 AM PST

ark161
Clownfish
Clownfish
611 Posts

[Post New]by ark161 on Feb 20, 12 8:52 AM
Hi i wanted to tell ya that i beat this game woohoo thanks for any comments

Patz155
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Patz155 on Feb 21, 12 1:54 PM
I LOOOOOVED this game!!!!!!!

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Mar 31, 12 12:55 PM
this is one game I'm not purchasing for can't play the casual mode all I can access is the advanced mode no sparkles no nothing seems like a very good game I had no problem with the CE but this one I do I will not spend the extra money on a CE just to get wallpaper that I can't even put on my walls loll

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jul 23, 12 5:57 PM
Finally bought this one on the weekend blowout sale; really enjoyed it! Would have liked a bit more background on the professor and the fortune teller, though. Devs - a prequel perhaps???

Celticcoco

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Sep 8, 12 6:36 PM
This was a great game and fun to play. Good story and plenty of puzzles and HOS. The graphic's were fun but not the best, as other games.

beckiev
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by beckiev on Sep 24, 12 12:28 PM
Very disappointed with this game. Couldn"t get in water after initalizing diving suit. Many others had same problem but no where on Big Fish site was there an answer. I am tired of having to go to technical support for every other game I purchase.

pamhamlet
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by pamhamlet on Oct 28, 12 6:27 PM
Very much enjoyed Witchville. This game was very well done for its kind. The fact that others are tired of these types of games is not an honest reflection or proper review of THIS game. This thread is for reviews of this game, not a catch-all arena for comments about this genre. Why anyone would buy or even try games from this genre when it is not to her liking is beyond me.

Anyhow, I loved playing Witchville from beginning to end, which I played on relaxed mode. A clairvoyant named Alice is sent to investigate the mysterious disappearance of the townsfolk of Witchville. She is helped by several characters along the way. While the story provides a spooky and atmospheric environment, I did not find it "dark" (or evil) as some have said. The graphics are beautiful and realistic. They can sometimes be eerie, but nevertheless, draw you in to discover more new clues. Sound effects are superb; the music drives the emotions appropriately at certain points, and is not repetitious or pervasive.

The story flows logically and is interactive, both in map scenes and in HOS. The puzzles are cleverly done and not too difficult to solve. However, I did use the skip button a couple times, but only after making several attempts to no avail. The hint button not only points out an area where you may find an object or clue, but also gives step-by step instructions to follow if you are at wit's end, which I found very helpful in a few instances--so you don't really need a strategy guide. These all helped to make the game fun to play, and not frustrating.

There is a story twist somewhat near the finish and the ending itself, though there is a sense of urgency, gradually builds to a peak and does not diminish quickly, as with some games. Very satisfying and entertaining, which I would play again and recommend to others who enjoy the supernatural element.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 7, 12 4:13 PM
GREAT review Pamhamlet , I agree 100% !!

I enjoyed this one, from beginning to end, loved the H0 scenes, the different characters, the mini's and puzzles, plus you had to put on your thinking cap at times.
Also it had a nice length, and I loved the way the developers did the ending, it didn't end abruply (sorry for spelling error ) like so many games do.
I thought the graphics suited the game, and some of the colors used in the H0 scene's were beautiful, to look at.
I got the game in the sale, loved playing it, and thought it was a very well rounded game, so very happy with my purchase, THANKS developers for another FUN game to play .

THANKS BF for the sale, as much money as I spend on games, its nice to get a break .

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Dec 25, 12 9:41 PM
I demoed this one a while back and was happy to have the chance to play it in full thanks to the $2.99 sale from a few weeks back. I remembered being interested in the story.

Unfortunately, the farther into the game I got, the more disappointed I was. The HOG scenes were dreadful - many of the items were extremely difficult to find in the junk piles, and sometimes even the hint didn't help much. I encountered a number of badly written sentences. At one point, Alice said something about finding a code, but the words in the sentence were entirely in the wrong order, like a poor translation or something. The puzzles were reasonably interesting, and I did like the twist concerning Daniel (even though I saw it coming), but it just got more and more boring as I went. I wasn't anxious for the ending because I was dying to know what happened; I just wanted it to be over!

The worst, for me, was the ending. What a let down! Totally anti-climactic, and the final image was completely nonsensical. Or can someone explain to me why Daniel had two right arms?

On the whole it was very, very disappointing to me. I'd give it one and a half stars out of five.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 1, 13 7:43 AM
this is a GREAT and fun game.--------------doug & lisa

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 12, 13 11:08 PM
bessiegirl wrote:I have really enjoyed the SE demo and will purchase. Interesting IHOS and different mini games which is a change from the ole "pipes", "push all buttons to match" stuff.

Yes, it is another "haunted" game, but what I don't understand is if you don't like these games, why play the demo?...it is pretty obvious what it is going to be BEFORE you subject yourself to the torture of "playing another one". Personally I enjoy them and find them all a little different from each other. Maybe you should try to develop one of these games yourself. Basically I am tired of reading reviews where players only whine about games being the same instead of what the game is really about. Stop your whining....don't play it if you don't like it the game subject.

Addition: Just finished this game and found it to be every bit as good as I thought! Some of the HOS are interactive and seem simple, but are tricky. However the HINT button recharges quickly and is a godsend in some cases to help you navigate at times. There are some of those awful Pipe type games.....but the SKIP button charges quickly and you can zoom past any games you don't want to bother with.

For once I hit a lucky streak with these games. You won't regret this one so don't let the whiners turn you away. Excellent length. Just remember to really keep you eye out!

Amen, sister!! Well said and true. Thank you.

I also agree with all of your Addition. I bought this game last year (2012) and just finished playing it again. It's a fun game with an interesting story, and it has an actual dénouement, so we feel happy at the end as we head off to get a cup of coffee.

Go to: