Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Azada: In Libro Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 17, 11 11:26 AM
sheilamilo wrote:Valdy - that's why I LOVE Boomzap games - lots of puzzles, no junkpiles, beautiful art, and not creepy.

dvdiva - I, too, can't stand junkpiles. Reminds me of my parents' house before we hired a company to clean it out

So, does anyone have an idea of how long the bonus play is? That will be the deciding factor for me for CE vs SE. I don't want any of the other stuff that comes with the CE.

And that is why I keep wishing that Boomzap would add more HOS and have less puzzles, because their puzzles are quite tiresome, I find.
But the puzzles in this game are not as frequent as they are in the Boomzap games, and are of a different kind, which I like.

The bonus game is super short. I just finished the game. Also, the main game ends rather abruptly, I thought. I was sitting there, eyes and mouth wide open at the sudden ending. LOL But I don't regret having bought the CE, because I didn't buy it for the bonus game, but for the SG, which I needed in this game, what with all the puzzles.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 17, 11 11:56 AM
How long was your regular play time, Valdy?

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 17, 11 12:02 PM
cbtx wrote:For the very first time on an ERS game a widescreen option is offered in the options menu.
And of course it doesn't work (tells me that windowed mode is not supported)
It's a 1366 x 768 resolution--very common--and should work. Well, keep working at it, ERS, and maybe you'll get it right as so many other devs have.
That's a resolution specific to larger netbooks. It's not widescreen (16 by 9).

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 17, 11 1:56 PM
textrekkie wrote:How long was your regular play time, Valdy?

Don't know, Tex. I never check the clock to see how long I play. I took a break in between as well for a few hours. I really couldn't say, but it wasn't a short game nor was it long.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 17, 11 2:15 PM
Fair enough! Thanks for answering.

[Post New]by nerywaterwitch on Nov 17, 11 2:49 PM
Hi,

I rarely comment on games but I did enjoy this one. My only gripe with it is that it ended rather abruptly and I feel that approximately 4 hours of game play for a CE is a little on the short side, especially when that includes the bonus play (playing on advanced mode).

Overall an interesting game but although the bonus was enjoyable, personnally I'm not sure it was worth the CE price tag.

Hope that helps.

Nery

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 17, 11 3:46 PM
It helps, nery, and thank you.

I felt that after completing the demo version, in hard mode, with 1 minute to spare, (and that was including time to examine and write down notes about all the options, extras, etc.) that it would come up short.

[Post New]by fayelynnlee on Nov 17, 11 4:17 PM
Walk Thru??

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 17, 11 4:43 PM
fayelynnlee wrote:Walk Thru??
It's a Collector's Edition. It has the walkthrough - Strategy Guide included in the game. The first chapter or so is also included in the demo.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Nov 17, 11 6:15 PM
"Azada", "Azada Ancient Magic" and new "Azada: In Libro", will boggle the mind. Adventure, exciting activity and exploration into the unknown territory of an evil-magician. You must save and protect the Azada guardian and the 3 worlds sited within the magic book. Look carefully before you leap or you will plundge into the shadows of obscurity. Ha! Ha!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 17, 11 6:42 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:
cbtx wrote:For the very first time on an ERS game a widescreen option is offered in the options menu.
And of course it doesn't work (tells me that windowed mode is not supported)
It's a 1366 x 768 resolution--very common--and should work. Well, keep working at it, ERS, and maybe you'll get it right as so many other devs have.
That's a resolution specific to larger netbooks. It's not widescreen (16 by 9).

The two sets of numbers both yield the same result (1.77) and either expression is considered widescreen. (This from cust svc as I never thought to just divide the numbers) And certainly the unit was sold as widescreen capable. Again, so many other games play perfectly at this res--this (and all other ERS games) simply does not.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 18, 11 12:23 AM
The two sets of numbers both yield the same result (1.77) and either expression is considered widescreen.
I take your point. It looks like ERS hasn't coded for that resolution then.

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Nov 18, 11 8:49 AM
IMO we got a Great game I wish there was more like these out there I love H*gs and adventure and I got them in the same game makes me HAPPY No Regrets on buy as a CE Not done with the game yet but have already put a good 4 1/2 hours into it and by the looks of the SG have a while to go Great graphis,Great voiceovers .Great length, Great storyline (no car crashes LOL) IMO Great CE Worth it all the way I

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Nov 18, 11 10:08 AM
I usually like Azada games and have bought the first two. This one is just not grabbing me. It has been turned into an Adventure game and I'm not impressed with the new look. Azada was different. A story was being told and the player had to play games or complete storybooks to advance in the main story. In this new one it is all story and it just feels wrong. The story is well done. The graphics are nice and I like the voice acting but it is not Azada to me. It ifeels like Mystery Case Files, or Shadow Wolf Mysteries or some other very well made IHOG's offered by Big Fish Games. I think I'll wait for the standard edition, maybe even the daily deal. It is just not for me.

Edited on 11/18/2011 at 10:11:23 AM PST

ansisera
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by ansisera on Nov 18, 11 10:46 AM
dvdiva wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here, but the #1 reason why I'm buying this is that there are absolutely no H0 scenes (yahoooo!).

I'm a huge fan of games that are more adventure and less hidden object. I guess the junkpiles just remind me too much of real life LOL!

I'm with you in that minority. I prefer adventure and less hos.

ansisera
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by ansisera on Nov 18, 11 10:49 AM
cbtx wrote:Screen savers----no use to me
Wallpapers----who really wants to pay extra for that?
Concept art----no interest at all
Musical soundtrack----to use for what?
Strategy guide----sometimes useful
Bonus play----here's where the extra money is decided, and this game gives no clue as to what it is or the length. Why not be forthcoming about this instead of a surprise (which could be a disappointing one)? If the bonus play is long as in another long chapter or an epilogue or a prologue, just say so!

It appears that this game is a departure from the past games of this franchise--did another company buy the rights to this game? Seems more investment was put into the cut scenes than into really developing the story line--the first book quest seems to end at little too abruptly. The bonus chapter isn't long at all--seems it could have been rolled up into the end of the game in order to properly finish the story before entering into different content.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Nov 18, 11 11:45 AM
All the good ERS stuff - graphics, big world, yadda, yadda.

But no, this is not an Azada game, it is a variation on the typical ERS game. Which in some ways is great and will make many people happy. I desperately wish I could be one of them.

Azada is puzzles, real puzzles that occasionally take real time and effort, as well as massive trial and error. This Azada is stuffed with jigsaw puzzles, gears and well-trod paths. There were a few puzzles that stood out - the lock on the streetcar was elegant simplicity and the towel puzzle took quite a few tries - but overall, it was more of the same. (Which could be ERS motto, btw.)

The one notable and very welcome change is a hardcore mode with the text hints turned off. Inventory-use puzzles that would have been mind-numbingly easy provided the occasional challenge. Sadly, the challenge was diluted by a large number of inventory items with blindingly obvious uses.

And yet, I will be buying this as a CE for one very stupid reason. In my last review, while completely frustrated by hand-holding on hardcore level, I promised that I would buy the first CE in which the developer lost the text hints. ERS delivered and I will buy. Me & my big mouth.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 18, 11 10:39 PM
did ERS make the other azada's?? I dont think they were even around??? I want to say this isnt the 3rd azada that we all think it is then? is it possible ERS just used this name to make another game?

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Nov 19, 11 12:36 AM
megwoman25 wrote:did ERS make the other azada's?? I dont think they were even around??? I want to say this isnt the 3rd azada that we all think it is then? is it possible ERS just used this name to make another game?

ERS did not make the first two Azada games. I believe they were produced Big Fish. For the 3rd one, they turned the series over to ERS. It's all above board, I'm just not sure it was a good idea.

Games take a while to make and contracts take a while to get signed. Two years ago ERS was one of the best up and coming developers. People couldn't wait for their next game to come out. At that time, an ERS/Big Fish collaboration made sense. Then ERS put out a whole slew of very pretty, atmospheric games that all had the same formula. In their rush to get out a new game every month, they fell into the same trap you see in Hollywood blockbusters - only make what sold last time.

If ERS had made Azada 3 right after the first Puppet Show, it would have been an exciting new variation. At this point, it's a bit tired.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 19, 11 9:04 AM
Just finished and really enjoyed the game, especially the puzzles. They weren't difficult just fun and different from other games. The bonus chapter very short, maybe a half hour and I'm a moderate speed player. I probably would have waited for the SE had I known as I don't usually use the SG.

Go to: