Re:Reviews for Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

[Post New]by fishiegamer on Nov 19, 11 11:45 PM
I don't have much to add to the many good reviews above except that it was good to play Hidden Object scenes where the objects are context/story-relevant, not all horseshoes and butterflies.

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 11:46:04 PM PST

Inanga
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Inanga on Nov 20, 11 2:06 AM
giddiup101 wrote:
Inanga wrote:Love it, bought it, now stuck at the dots and glyphs puzzle to open the round door. I just don't get it LOL! Can anyone help me here please?

Set the dots according to Book of entrance (5) in your notes.

Thankyou - now I have been able to finish the game.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Nov 20, 11 2:53 AM
This is a really great story line, quite exciting. It has a wonderful atmophere about it, aided by both the music and the voice of the narrator, who has a terrific speaking voice.

I have heard of the Shoggoths before somewhere, but not in a game. They are a genuine mountain legend.

Great hint button that doubled as an SG. Lovely graphics and interesting puzzles. It was a bit confusing though, knowing where to go next, but as I said, great hint button.

It was too short. Only 2 hours. That's only half the usual time, so they need to work on that for next time.

I was disappointed in the rather abrupt ending. I was looking forward to meeting and talking with the one surviving Elder, an impression I got from a piece of dialogue, but maybe I misunderstood.

Nice piece of work.

bette76502
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by bette76502 on Nov 20, 11 5:36 AM
This game had me interested from the start, every once in a while BFG gets 1 exactly right. Good story line, beautiful graphics, No boring junk piles of ****. I have 3 games that I have played over and over and this will probably 4. Highly recommend. Just 1 thing negative. Could have been longer.

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Nov 20, 11 7:11 AM
gamergirl675 wrote: . . .
As I said though... it's a buy. Love adventure games... would be better if there were no H0 scenes but at least there's no repeats. ETA: DANG IT!! As soon as I'm past the demo and buy the game it's just repeat H0 after repeat H0... I HATE THAT!!! Items are easy to find, has an adventure feel with back and forth between scenes so linear thinkers may not like the play style. More ihog/adventure than hog I think.

Gamergirl: are you stating that Mountains of Madness turns into H0 after H0? I hate that too. If it does, it's a no-buy for me.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Nov 20, 11 7:31 AM
savage and scary from the start
decent game
good graphics

[Post New]by perks123 on Nov 20, 11 7:50 AM
Enjoyed the storyline. Good graphics, **** just the right size. Puzzles not terribly difficult. Waaaaaaaaayyy too short. Thankfully had a credit for this.

[Post New]by wobblescat on Nov 20, 11 9:05 AM
Finished the game, enjoyed it, but agree it was very short!

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Nov 20, 11 9:27 AM
This was a very well done game. Graphics were great and the hint system unusual but very nice. I enjoyed playing and thought it was a very well done game.

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on Nov 20, 11 9:30 AM
I enjoy good sci-fi/fantasy although am rather picky about who/what. I dived into this game and was immediately captured by it. Good graphics, no need for a strategy guided (love that part, they did an excellent job on the hints) and a cool story line. I haven't purchased it yet (have to wait a bit) but this is definitely on my list to buy.

I always need some guidance in a more complex game so finally purchased several CE's. However, if they created more games with this kind of hint system, I wouldn't bother. I don't need wallpapers and such, just some assistance. I really don't like having to exit a game, go to a walkthrough, and then reload the game again. I have a couple games where that has been necessary for me and I gave up. Not worth it on my end. This was great and I really enjoyed it. Definitely a buy!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Nov 20, 11 10:04 AM
Very very good game, rare to to see a standard edition (lately) up to this quality!
Compelling story (extract from a book), great graphics and sound xfs, cleaver puzzles and minigames, the music is so charming and it sounds very familiar, as a matter of fact, I cannot recall if is from Braveheart or the Lord of the rings, like some other players stated, anyway it takes you to the journey with the right mood for the game! I hope many other fishes will like this top game!!

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Nov 20, 11 10:52 AM
I liked the demo so much I bought it after about 20 minutes.
I really like the graphics,
The story is quite unique,
The option to scroll was wonderful (motion sickness avaoided)
AND....there wasn't alot of back & forth to do things (exhaustion avaoided)
Some really nice mini games
-no sound card right now, so chk out fellow fishies on sound & voice overs)
The **** where nice, not junk piles & did I mention a decent story?
The length could have been longer, and it really reminded me og the **** game of Hidden Expeditions, only different.

[Post New]by DarkStarsD on Nov 20, 11 12:35 PM
Waazzaa wrote:
gamergirl675 wrote: . . .
As I said though... it's a buy. Love adventure games... would be better if there were no H0 scenes but at least there's no repeats. ETA: DANG IT!! As soon as I'm past the demo and buy the game it's just repeat H0 after repeat H0... I HATE THAT!!! Items are easy to find, has an adventure feel with back and forth between scenes so linear thinkers may not like the play style. More ihog/adventure than hog I think.

Gamergirl: are you stating that Mountains of Madness turns into H0 after H0? I hate that too. If it does, it's a no-buy for me.

agrees with this comment, I still do not like the girl in the menu!

[Post New]by onesweettart on Nov 20, 11 2:18 PM
Still trying to decide if I'll use a punchcard credit for this or not. I'm tempted to, just because there were a lot of good things in the game and I feel like purchasing (even w/ a credit) would be good feedback to the Devs to continue those things. However, I checked the achievements list before starting the demo and after 60 minutes I'd gotten nearly all the achievements, which means there is very little game left for me to play. Game length is in the top three things I consider when deciding whether to buy, so something this short would usually be an absolute no-buy for me.

Graphics good, voice actor for the narration between chapters well chosen, Hidden Object Scenes were true to the time period (no looking for cell phones when the game is set in the 1930s) and clear visually, achievements (I enjoy those in games), fills my widescreen, good hint system, option for easy or hard mode, and I'm grateful to get a quality SE. Also, lots of my friends adore Lovecraft (I think his work is fine, I'm just not as crazy about it as they are), so I'm glad to see the connection here, there's a lot of Lovecraft that could be mined for future games.

For my personal tastes, the game was just too easy and too short. Hidden Object Scenes were visited multiple times, there were several "find 12 scraps of paper" -type scenes, and all the usual standard mini puzzles (a version of pipes, which was done several times, jigsaw puzzle, turning rings, etc.). Overall, a nice low-intensity quick game. Just don't know if it's worth the credit with so little playing time left.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Nov 21, 11 1:33 AM

Hi All
I need your help. I really enjoyed your comments. I, however, must be a little crazy...; as I was not fascinated by this game at all. One of the comments mentioned that the custom cursor made a difference as it indicated "what to do". I never use the custom ones..so I was using the regular cursor. AND SO.. I had to use the hint to find anything to do or where to go. I felt that that was all this game was .....use the hint (I played easy version) all of the time. It told me what to do, etc., but I did not like that aspect.

If I had used the custom cursor, would that have made a difference. Also, I'm not familiar with the LoveCraft (sp) stories. Will that made a difference too?

Need your help to decide if I want to buy..and hope that the rest of the game will be more fun for me.
Thanks!!!
OnWI

bette76502
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by bette76502 on Nov 21, 11 2:38 AM
I played this game the 1st time and had no problem. Ugh but now I am supposd to get the 4 colored prisms to open a gate. I have 3 , I need the red 1.the hint button keeps pointing to a box with the rope in it on the tower base I need my 4th prism and nothing happens when I click on the box. Is this a glitch? I didn't have a problem the 1st time I played. FRUSTRATED!

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Nov 21, 11 8:51 AM
geniegal wrote:Well, I lasted for 20 minutes. Got through the first scene. Found a bunch of dead guys and dogs, found a strange creature frozen in ice and opened a gate. The next thing I knew I was flying off somewhere in a plane and was told by the narrator there were bizarre ruins below. And wouldn't ya know, the plane crashed?

Sorry, but this story is not making a whole lot of sense. (And my explanation is probably not making any sense either)

I think I'll pass on this.

Geniegal,

Talking to Dyer and reading all the text may help to explain the reasoning and the objectives of the game. I hope that helps.

The game is well thought out. I played on expert mode. I made it through 38 minutes before I got tired of the blue hue. The games where everything is bluish or brownish or any other unicolor really turn me off. It's too bad more realistic colors weren't used, the game is really nice to play. I like that you can scroll the scene in some parts of the game making the area larger. The hints are extremely well done. I didn't get any fast clicking penalties when I tried just clicking around quickly.

I'll have to think about buying this one. For some reason the games that are all hued one color tire my eyes. If all the blue was to heighten the arctic experience I get it. Snow is bluish white but not that blue. It's a shame I can't play this game because it has a good story line and the game play is really fantastic. I would have snapped it up if not for the tired eyes.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 22, 11 8:34 PM
I played 54 minutes when I realized I'd been bored stiff for almost the entire time, so I quit. The incessant howling of the wind is very irritating, but as there are no voice overs, you could probably turn the sound off. Snow, ice, wind, cliff climbing... not my thing, I guess. The puzzles didn't look too hard, but I skipped them in the interest of time. There were only two HOS in the 54 minutes I played. I liked the hint system, and the addition of the advice window was great. You really would not need a CE version to play this game. It's not going to be a buy for me, but I think more intrepid explorers might like it.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 23, 11 8:08 PM
So, when was the last time that a 130 Mb game file could offer this much entertainment? As far as I'm concerned, Cerasus Media has done just that!

The game D/L'd lickety-split and "loaded" just as fast. The game's intro was well done, with a rather serious-sounding narrator providing some good voice acting.

The storyline is based on an H.P. Lovecraft tale--I'm not familiar with this particular Sci-Fi/Thriller plot, but after a few minutes, I was immersed in it. An expedition team in Antarctica has met some kind of bad fate, and we're flying in to investigate. We play as two different characters, alternating dialogues (which are subtitled, but aren't wordy.).

The Options menu is good, with music and sound FX sliders, cursor choice (the game one worked fine and provides the changing icons, depending on the task), two gameplay modes, and screen choices. (If you don't care for the sound of a howling wind, you might want to push down the sound FX slider). Music is classical, and not intrusive. The graphics are like watercolor paintings, and are mostly in shades of pale blue (guess that's what "ice" looks like at the South Pole!).

Yep, this is definitely a Hidden Object/Puzzle/Adventure (H0PA) game. The H0s, though, are pretty much true to the environment (e.g., no bowling pins, no bicycles, no bumblebees, etc.). Lots (and I mean lots) of inventory items--as I type this, I've got 17 things to carry, but an "Advice" icon in the lower right is a big help.. There's also an instant Hint button. Some of the scenes are a little bit gruesome (blood stains, corpses, etc.) but not a turn-off.

This game makes me want to go to our local library and check out some H.P. Lovecraft books!

Regards, elldee

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 23, 11 11:57 PM
geniegal wrote:Well, I lasted for 20 minutes. Got through the first scene. Found a bunch of dead guys and dogs, found a strange creature frozen in ice and opened a gate. The next thing I knew I was flying off somewhere in a plane and was told by the narrator there were bizarre ruins below. And wouldn't ya know, the plane crashed?

Sorry, but this story is not making a whole lot of sense. (And my explanation is probably not making any sense either)

I think I'll pass on this.

actually, that's exactly how it should be... the elders, the necronomicon, the frozen continent... 'mountains of madness' is the story that inspired 'the thing' - and what a team hp lovecraft and john carpenter could have made!

it's been a while since i've seen a mystery stories - berlin nights seems so long ago - so i was interested to see this one come out, see what they've done to grow... and this is a tough piece to really do service to...

that's probably why i didn't really 'feel it' with this one... i wanted something more and while it's definitely appetizing, it just wasn't the engrossing piece of work that i hoped it would be... maybe the next sale will make it more appealing - but for now, it's a pass for me, too...

Go to: