Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by petitpoisson on Nov 23, 11 7:11 AM
The game DLd fine but the resolution does not fit my screen, as many of you fishies.
First solution was to play in windowed mode but then I see the desktop and it's quite annoying.
Second solution is to tweak the screen resolution, witch I also hate cause my desktop icons all go ahoo; but from the advice of some other Squids or Anemones I change my res. to 1280 x 1024, ratio of 1.25 as opposed to the original 1680 x 1050, ratio of 1.6.
A ratio of 1280 x 960 (1.3) works fine also with a slight distortion such as the BigFish icon being flatten on the head.

Check your resolutions available and select the closest to a ratio of 1.25 to 1.3. by dividing width by height.
Happy (like if this game was anything close to happiness) gaming to all.

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by Jacoban55 on Nov 23, 11 7:19 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to post my issue here as well with the demo. My compy, while old by today's standards, does exceed the minimum requirements. While I am not experiencing barely moving cursors, grainy text, etc., I do have an issue of little white boxes all over. While I know it's raining on a screen, and can see most of it, some of it shows up as little white boxes; while I know there are large blades of grass at the lighthouse, some of them in the foreground show up as LARGE white boxes; when that ever helpful locket to indicate morphing objects and how many is there and has the little purple dots going around it (nice ambience by the way), some show up as little white boxes; in the journal some of the flitting leaves and raindrops show up as little white boxes....I'm sure you get the idea by now. :o) It's like it's snowing.... When I opened the game (no problems with downloading or playing the demo), it did do a "readjustment" which I'm used to in large games, but I'm wondering if this is simply a graphics card issue (need an update?) or what. I will go check out the help pages, but I wanted to add my issue here, since I hadn't seen anyone else post it.

Thanks BFG - no hate here, I appreciate your hard work, and your attempt to step out into somewhat uncharted waters, at least for you. You can only get better and better as you keep stepping out there and learning. So don't stop. Now, on to finding out how to get rid of the white boxes! :o)

knorthup
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by knorthup on Nov 23, 11 7:41 AM
Jacoban55 wrote:Hi all,

Just wanted to post my issue here as well with the demo. My compy, while old by today's standards, does exceed the minimum requirements. While I am not experiencing barely moving cursors, grainy text, etc., I do have an issue of little white boxes all over. While I know it's raining on a screen, and can see most of it, some of it shows up as little white boxes; while I know there are large blades of grass at the lighthouse, some of them in the foreground show up as LARGE white boxes; when that ever helpful locket to indicate morphing objects and how many is there and has the little purple dots going around it (nice ambience by the way), some show up as little white boxes; in the journal some of the flitting leaves and raindrops show up as little white boxes....I'm sure you get the idea by now. :o) It's like it's snowing.... When I opened the game (no problems with downloading or playing the demo), it did do a "readjustment" which I'm used to in large games, but I'm wondering if this is simply a graphics card issue (need an update?) or what. I will go check out the help pages, but I wanted to add my issue here, since I hadn't seen anyone else post it.

Thanks BFG - no hate here, I appreciate your hard work, and your attempt to step out into somewhat uncharted waters, at least for you. You can only get better and better as you keep stepping out there and learning. So don't stop. Now, on to finding out how to get rid of the white boxes! :o)

Me too, all of the above....... I was so ready to buy this game, but after trying the demo I am sad to say that I will not buy it, unless Santa brings me a new computer! The white boxes everywhere were too annoying, and there were fairly long wait times going from screen to screen also.

[Post New]by porcelainelaine on Nov 23, 11 7:58 AM
I am having problems just opening the game. I originally opened it after it downloaded, and at first, the only thing that came on the screen was Felix. And then the screen went black and the sound kept running. I figured something was wrong, so I exited out, and restarted my computer. I tried to open again, and again, the screen went to black, this time without me seeing Felix. I exited out again, this time reviewing the requirements needed, downloading Direct X 9.0c, etc. Again, I tried to view the game. I documented this on video. These videos can be seen on Youtube as Errors with MCF 8 and Errors with MCF 8 #2 . The game opens, goes to black, and the sound begins to play. As the sound continues, the screen becomes increasingly lighter, until it is white, and then it fades back to black. The sound still plays. I left it on, just to see if maybe that was just the only thing that was screwy, and for about 10 minutes, the sound continued and the screen faded from black to grey to white and back to black.

I send no anger in your direction, Big Fish, but this is frustrating. I would really love to play the game, if only it would work. I have the requirements, and I just want this problem to be solved.

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Nov 23, 11 8:00 AM
For all those having trouble with the game maybe give this a try it seemed to help my game play ALOT. Go into the options on the game and unselect "High Definition" and possibly even the hardware cursor. Once I did that, my arrow moved fine and scenes ran smoothly and it was VERY slow moving in the first scene and I didn't think I'd ever get the cursor to get to the MENU to look at the options. It probably wasted at least 10 minutes of my demo. After making the adjustments, the only problem I came across was towards the end of the demo for me. The 3rd MO scene was sluggish so most of the MO's were easily seen. That was a huge disappointment. Didn't give me a chance to try to find them. Not sure if it will give me any more problems after purchasing it or not. My demo ended abruptly and just turned off completely. There was no exiting the game at all. This laptop is a Windows XP Gateway MX6214 Intel Celeron M CPU 420 @1.60GHz. I also completely disconnected from the internet while playing. I also disabled Norton.....don't know if it interferes with game play or not, but since I was disconnected from the net, felt it was safe to do so. If not, I'm sure someone will correct me........hopefully in a nice manner, please.

So, I then went to our other laptop which is a Windows 7 Dell Latitude D630 32bit Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.0GHz and had NO problems at all after making adjustments. It flickered a bit until I unchecked the "High Definition" in options and then it ran beautifully. I played through the demo and it worked just fine and ended properly. Had no issues at all and this computer is at least several years old. Let's put it this way, it's old enough that they don't offer updates for the drivers anymore.

I'm actually not that impressed with this game so far...........sad to say cause I LOVE MCF games and have looked forward to this for quite some time. MO scenes are the same every time you play and that has no replay value for us. We prefer the scenes to be different for each player and every time you play. Not sure why they couldn't have changed which MO's morph, but they didn't. Also, as far as I can tell, there are no awards for doing anything and that takes greatly away from a CE for me, anyway. I like to have trophies/awards/achievements in the games I choose to pay more money for, plus I am not sure how much extended play there is and if it's worth it. I'll wait for the reviews to come out.

~Dream

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 8:04:01 AM PST

walkalone
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by walkalone on Nov 23, 11 8:01 AM
beeboppa wrote:After downloading I get the message 'error downloading'...It says it's an 'error code 3' when I go to the help page there is no Error Code 3 ??? anyone else getting this error code ??

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 23, 11 8:01 AM
, but I'm wondering if this is simply a graphics card issue (need an update?) or what?
Usually, yes. That's the sort of problem I'd associate with an onboard graphics chip on a laptop. If you have a card, you should try updating your drivers.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Nov 23, 11 8:03 AM
I have just finished downloading the game, I am a little bit concerned, as I tried to do a trial, but when that finished loading it told me I already played the trial. Anyone else have this happen? I am going to try try it, as this was my first love in gaming

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Nov 23, 11 8:06 AM
Just wanted to add that my laptop does not play ERS games AT ALL anymore, but after making the adjustment in options to not use HIGH DEFINITION, I was able to play the game. Still with a few minor issues I noted in my post above, but it was at least playable after the change.

~Dream

Eta: Just wanted to add that I am aware this isn't an ERS game, I just simply am unable to play ERS games cause my graphics card can't handle them. Simply pointing that out in case others can't play ERS games and think they won't be able to play this new BFG game because of the warnings.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 8:21:38 AM PST

tinaccarroll
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by tinaccarroll on Nov 23, 11 8:09 AM
couldnt even start game. it froze up and had to unplug computer and restart. tried game again and it got to the car scene and tried to leave car and froze on me again. mouse is very slow and jerky. no try and no buy. please fix and let me know. i have windows vista. second game in two days with problems. sorry big fish. sounded like a very good game though.

[Post New]by beckycins on Nov 23, 11 8:12 AM

Got an error message when I tried to play on my desktop. Not surprised as I have been getting that message with a lot of BF games lately. I just got the computer 3 months ago and I was expecting better from a new computer.

Since I was desperate to play Ravenhearst I downloaded to my 2 year old lap top and that darn thing works on it. If I make it thru the first 60 minutes I will buy it but would rather play on the bigger monitor.

So I suggest if you have another computer, try it. I am disappointed that the games won't work with my new computer. Maybe it is a Win7 issue. Good luck to everyone else!

ptoretti
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by ptoretti on Nov 23, 11 8:14 AM
No problems downloading - I started it last night and went to bed. Due to the warnings, I gave it a quick try before work. Trailer played fine, set my name and then in the 1st scene, the cursor appeared initially, then disappeared.

My net book is just a squidge under the min req. I'll try again after work without the custom cursor and other options turned off to see if that helps.

If not, I'm stealing my hubby's notebook to play this - I've been so eagerly awaiting it.

Thanks onelifesdream for the tips.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 8:14:59 AM PST

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Nov 23, 11 8:15 AM
It doesn't seem to matter which scene I click to go forward in before the screen goes black. I can hear the music kinda jerky, then all of a sudden my computer reboots itself!!! Really don't want the MCF ghosts in my computer! I don't know how to fix this and of course it makes the game unplayable. What were they thinking to build a game that would put such a strain on so many computers? Having most of the issues everyone else is with a slow jerky game. I want a refund! After waiting for a year I'm very disappointed with this game being built this way.

Is this game supposed to fill out all of the screen? I have a black bar at the top and bottom of my screen.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 8:17:08 AM PST

[Post New]by boredhousewife1 on Nov 23, 11 8:21 AM
I too have a wide screen and I can not get the picture to fit. It is all the way to the right and so I can't access things on the right and have 4 inches of black screen on left. HELP I really don't like playing with the reduced size option as it is distracting having the desk top in the background, but also it defeats the object of having a big screen, which my husband bought me because I love playing games!

lizac
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by lizac on Nov 23, 11 8:22 AM
Just wanted to say that I decided to check my driver for my video card even though its a really good one and have upgraded and now the game works beautifully. Well happy now.

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues h

[Post New]by deadravins on Nov 23, 11 8:26 AM
I just downloaded, everything in the car was fine, but the minute I exited the car I started getting major lag problems with the cursor and the picture. It finally got so bad I just exited. I really want this game but I won't buy it until it's fixed.

I loaded new drivers for my computer and the game works fine now.

Edited on 11/24/2011 at 10:49:14 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 23, 11 8:37 AM
heartless500 wrote:I am very sorry to see so many posts in this thread. . .

altho I am no "techie" by any means - I have to wonder if a lot of the grainy/slow/jerky graphics issues arent related to a graphics card not having enough "onboard" dedicated memory??

sure, you may have more than enough system memory, but dedicated graphics memory is different. it is integrated into the graphics card and is JUST for graphics processing - nothing else.

Sad to say it, but an awful lot of "new" machines still only have 64MB of dedicated graphics memory (we have a "new" Toshiba laptop like this) and that just is not going to be enough to run a lot of the game offerings these days. (most are going to recommend at least 128Mb minimum)

I just recently did a big hardware upgrade to my pc and made darn sure my new graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5670) had GOBS of dedicated graphics memory - 512MB - which is more than enough to run most casual games, and should continue to be enough for a long time to come.

I still run Windows XP Pro, SP3, with DX 9.0c, and this particular game runs flawlessly for me - i attribute that to having the high dedicated memory for the graphics. (by the way - this card only cost me $72 - it is not the fastest, most recent offering out there - those can run into the hundreds of dollars - but it is plenty for my purposes)

I am not implying that this is the issue for everyone that is experiencing problems, just offering my point of view and a possible explanation...
I sincerely hope that the problems being experienced get sorted out for everyone!

ps: anyone that would like more info on where to get a newer card - send me a pm!

Hey heartless, thanks for the helpful info. However, my new computer exceeds all the game's requirements and it doesn't play right.

Others with new or upgraded computers that meet or exceed requirements also are having problems.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues h

[Post New]by luvtoread on Nov 23, 11 8:38 AM
beckycins wrote:
Got an error message when I tried to play on my desktop. Not surprised as I have been getting that message with a lot of BF games lately. I just got the computer 3 months ago and I was expecting better from a new computer.

Since I was desperate to play Ravenhearst I downloaded to my 2 year old lap top and that darn thing works on it. If I make it thru the first 60 minutes I will buy it but would rather play on the bigger monitor.

So I suggest if you have another computer, try it. I am disappointed that the games won't work with my new computer. Maybe it is a Win7 issue. Good luck to everyone else!

I have a Win7 and had absolutely no problem until "access code violation
5E9D9" I never have a clue as to what these numbers mean.
I'm on a laptop so I just had to close it. . It did this during the demo, but played fine
afterwards, so I'm hoping it'll right itself again.
Love this game!

Well, its running fine now, so I'm happy!

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 8:46:36 AM PST

[Post New]by cgurkin2002 on Nov 23, 11 8:49 AM
I was so excited to see a new Ravenhearst game! I have all the other ones & loved them. Unfortunately my system is older & the graphics card will not work with this game. Also, unfortunately it is integrated & I can't upgrade the card alone. This is the third game in the last 6 months that I really wanted but can't play. I've had other games lag but at least I could still play them. I don't blame Bigfish for utilizing the best technology available to them to offer the best gaming experience possible but it does leave some of us out in the cold. It might be time to rethink my membership until a new computer fits in my budget.

[Post New]by Kiralyn34 on Nov 23, 11 9:04 AM
It won't download; freezes up my Game Manager and then Windows 7 shuts game manager down

Go to: