cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Re:Comments for Mystery Case Files: Escape From Ravenhearst CE

[Post New]by cme550 on Nov 23, 11 5:03 AM
Wow this could very well end up being my favorite MCF game!! Dire Grove might have to take a step back! I'm going to not want to go to work this afternoon!

About the morphing object scenes, I think they are a great new addition but I wouldn't want all the games to be like this. I am kind of missing my regular H0G scenes I have found only one so far.

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 23, 11 5:04 AM
I bought the game and am playing away at the moment, my only problem is that there is no instructions for the mini games and the stratagy guide is not very helpful so I hav e resorted to pen and paper for some of the clues, ah well I suppose it adds to the fun

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Nov 23, 11 5:08 AM
I will probably buy this at some point but still unsure. If it weren't for the little preview given at the end of the demo I wouldn't even think about it.

I had to change the cursor to make it work properly. There is a horrible lag in changing scenes. I also had problems with the SG pages not wanting to come up. If I flipped back and forth they would eventually give me the pictures.

I always liked the morphing objects to be found from time to time but not so sure I like having to find several of them just to progress.

The story looks very interesting but if it weren't for the SG and hint button I don't think I could have played this game at all. I think if I want to play it I will have to buy the CE just because of that.

Very undecided on this but it will go on my list for future consideration.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Nov 23, 11 5:10 AM
On the fence about this one. I prefer H0 scenes to morphing objects, but I will try to give this a fair trial. Definitely not paying CE price for it though. I really dislike the SG, not clear at all what you are to do. The story seems creepy, which I like, but I haven't gotten very far into it so I don't know what it is really about. Graphics are good, everything works correctly, voiceovers are a nice touch. Just don't care for the MOS.

smilestogo
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by smilestogo on Nov 23, 11 5:27 AM
DL'ing now... I've been waiting for such a long time for this new MCF game! I knew it would have to be a good one to follow the rest! I can hardly wait to get started! If you've never had the chance to play any of these games, you are missing out on their very best ones!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 23, 11 5:46 AM
LOVE the MOs - they give me a chance to savour the scene and appreciate the amazing artwork. I read an article on the review site we all know and love, and it said developers are thinking of only giving sample demos - one level for example, so you can check that the game works on your computer and you want to buy it. Apparently people are rushing through the demo to get as much play time in the hour as possible and are overlooking the love and care for detail which has gone into (some of ) the games. I'm guilty of that - I always demo in casual mode. But then I can replay in hard/advanced. Love this innovation. Love the game. It's like a really good book you are totally immersed in - you know when you think 'OK NOTHING is going to get done till this book is finished'. I feel the same way about this game. Many congrats BFG and thank you! Hope you all had an awesome party in Seattle. You deserve it.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Nov 23, 11 5:49 AM
I LOVE this game! Oh my Ghosh the voice overs are done perfectly, Ghosts shouldn't sound like my voice, and that is what I hear when there is no voice overs in games. I always have to imagine what characters sound like. This is awesome! Graphics are mind boggling gorgeous, I feel like the building will collapse on me so realistic! I am downloading the game now after the demo I couldn't hit the buy button fast enough. I love the morphing objects I hate Hidden objects it just got boring finding random objects. These objects that morph belong in the game.

OK this is my all time favorite spooky game from every game I have played thus far. The haunting voices of the ghosts warning you, the morphing objects, I learned to hate hidden objects after 7 yrs it got boring. The fantastic graphics, no problem with downloading the game. I am so grateful at last at CE that appears to be worth the money in a long game.

Every step of the way I kept telling myself you know if this were real life I would never have gone to this place and certainly never returned to it! I LOVE the fast refill in hints. In my opinion no game has got me more spooked than this game, playing it alone in the dark, and I mean alone in the house with not even a pet to keep you company, well...lets put it this way I wouldn't do it well maybe just to test myself I would, but since that isn't going to happen, if you live alone and play it at night don't say I didn't warn you. LOL

BFG Developers THANK YOU for the best gaming experience I have had in a very long time and I buy every new adventure game and nothing can compare to the atmosphere if this keeps up. The love and details that the Game Developers went to is amazing. For instance on the dashboard click on the bouncing head and see what happens, I laughed aloud. I love the sense of humor in this spooky game also. The ghostly voices pleading with you. The voice that needs help and when you keep clicking on this certain place in the demo the voice says different things. WOW now that was a surprise. This is my "me" day and I am doing no work its only my play day and I hope more wives and Moms will take a "me Day" for themselves and Return to Ravenhurst with me, cowards like company you know. LOL Yep I am the coward, just one look at the place and I would have been out of there. Oh but in games when its not reality, I can be brave.

Surly1
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Surly1 on Nov 23, 11 5:53 AM
Add me to the "Not Very Happy" crowd.

The MOG aspect gives me a headache. I find it about as entertaining as craning my neck at night to look for elusive shooting stars

I understand the need to change up the usual HOG, but completely eliminating it? And from such a popular and long-awaited addition to a great series? Kind of a let down for some of us.

I won't say I have given up on the game entirely just yet, but with 18 minutes left in demo and no real feeling I want to hurry to get back to it...tells me I won't purchase as a CE. Maybe as a SE with a credit. I'm sure it will appeal to some die-hards, but sorry, it just doesn't work so well for me.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Nov 23, 11 5:57 AM
Love this game and the MOS, love everything about the game Brilliant

heartless500
Catfish
Catfish
1,605 Posts

[Post New]by heartless500 on Nov 23, 11 6:06 AM
Just finished playing the demo - took me about 45 minutes for that - to be sure it would work on my pc cause of others having graphic/freezing issues. I have been sitting on 2 game club credits just for this game!

I have Windows XP, SP3, DX 9.0c - widescreen monitor set at 1440x900 native resolution - game ran flawlessly for me and filled out my screen beautifully!! no issues with things being hidden (too big) or black bars. Needless to say, the full version is downloading now - and holy cow is it BIG! 1.2 Gig!! (could be a while before I can continue playing! ) demo (400+ MB ) took roughly 30 minutes to download for me on a rural wireless connection

Not really sure if I like the morphing object scenes as much as the standard h.o.s. as they are sometimes difficult to spot - I think if this is going to be the future of H.O. games then a mix of the two would be better - but this is just IMHO...
Hoenstly, I liked the morphing objects better when they were just here & there throughout the game, never knowing when or where you might encounter one...

Other than the morphing thing, i am thrilled with the graphics and the acting/voiceovers - so far everything has been amazingly detailed. The rain effects are PERFECT! water dripping off of things, ivy leaves moving when raindrops hit them - so very detailed.

And I have to admit that the bats flying out of the well, made me jump just a little! LOL

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 6:07:21 AM PST

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Nov 23, 11 6:12 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you; absolutely the one a lot of us have been waiting for! Happy Turkey Day!

hcatb
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by hcatb on Nov 23, 11 6:13 AM
blue1955 wrote:Mystery Case Files is what got me hooked on these games. I decided awhile ago I would wait for the SE, but I will make a exception for this. Played the demo. I think this game will be fun.

Same here. Mystery Case Files is the BEST collection ever! It also got me hooked and I became a Big Fish member. I have been waiting patiently for this one. It is a "must buy" for me.

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Nov 23, 11 6:16 AM
After finding 4 morphing objects in the beginning scene I went to a few rooms but couldn't tell what to do even with the strategy guide which was pictures but no written instruction. I'll try again with the SE if there is a walkthrough just to see what it's all about. But if I can't manage to play mostly on my own it's a no buy for me.

Now I'm wondering if there was written instructions in the strategy guide and I didn't look at it properly. If so would someone please PM me? Thanks

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 23, 11 6:17 AM
The rain effects are PERFECT! water dripping off of things, ivy leaves moving when raindrops hit them - so very detailed.

I thought so too - that's why I love the MOs - they give a lovely leisurely feel to the game. Though how you can feel relaxed in a place like that!

[Post New]by kaatje78 on Nov 23, 11 6:22 AM
When is mcf escape from Ravenhearst comming on Mac downloads???

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Nov 23, 11 6:23 AM
I have a 23 inch monitor set at 1920 x 1080 and it fills the screen. I think some don't have their screen resolution set for the video card/monitor's native resolution and that will cause problems.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 23, 11 6:29 AM
glb613 wrote:I have a 23 inch monitor set at 1920 x 1080 and it fills the screen. I think some don't have their screen resolution set for the video card/monitor's native resolution and that will cause problems.

Some people have 23-24" monitors, but their video cards don't support the native resolution of the montior.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 23, 11 6:30 AM
I have a 23 inch monitor set at 1920 x 1080 and it fills the screen.
That is an HD display on an HD monitor. On a larger monitor (eg 24") where the resolution is 1920 x 1200 you will see black bars.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Nov 23, 11 6:36 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
I have a 23 inch monitor set at 1920 x 1080 and it fills the screen.
That is an HD display on an HD monitor. On a larger monitor (eg 24") where the resolution is 1920 x 1200 you will see black bars.

Yep. Same here! And what's more: I can't solve it by adjusting the resolutions either. At least not to reasonable differences. So I'll have to let it be a game with black borders above and below. Pity in case of a special game like this...

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 6:45:15 AM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Nov 23, 11 6:51 AM
I was SO intrigued by their warning I almost bought it without even trying the demo. I love this series.

Go to: