Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shattered Minds: Masquerade Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 10, 11 11:21 AM
I have now finished the game, having kept this game to last in my collection of several games over the last week.

I enjoyed playing the main game, although it got a tad boring towards the middle of the game.

Graphics were not bad, but could have been smoother. However, the HOS (hidden object scenes) were well done. I had no trouble finding objects - except the odd one that was ridiculously well hidden.

Now, the bonus game played in a completely different area, which is a plus. And I did enjoy playing the bonus game, which took me approx. an hour to play.

However, not much work has been put into the HOS within the bonus game: every HOS, when revisited, had almost the same objects on the list as it did on the previous visit. In other words, I had to find the same objects twice, except for the odd one that was different. That was rather a disappointment, seeing that the developers didn't care to put extra work into those scenes.

Otherwise, an enjoyable game all round.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Dec 11, 11 12:05 AM
meh. the demo was fairly interesting, but i wish i'd waited for the SE. things got a little tedious not long after the first hour ended: repetitious mini-games, H0 scenes spaced too closely together, nothing new in the way of adventure lite puzzles; we've seen it all before. story: not good enough to be good, not bad enough to be silly-good. the whole of it had sort of a thrown-together feel.

meh.

kmills1944
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by kmills1944 on Dec 30, 11 7:26 AM
great game. loved it. good bright scenes and intersting story line. also lots of hos after all thats what we play these for.but i just don't understand why all of these have so many rats spiders and cockroaches. irks me.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Dec 30, 11 8:54 AM
I bought 5 CE when they had the 1/2 off holiday special...& this was one of them....I have played better CE games before....towards the end I did find myself looking at the Strategy Guide alot just to get thru the game faster. If you are looking to buy a CE, I advise to pass this one up.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 3, 12 5:52 PM
the main game was ok, actually fairly easy. but some of the puzzles on the bonus game i found impossible

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Apr 29, 12 4:30 PM
OK, here's my review of Shattered Minds: Masquerade CE:

Options: Offered were Music, Sound Effects, Custom Cursor, and Window Mode. No levels of game modes were available. After the main game is over, you have the Bonus Game, downloadable Music, Wallpaper, Concept Art, and the option to play several mini-games like the ones in the main game.

Graphics: I'm afraid I wasn't as impressed with graphics as other fishies were. This was a VAST game, and frankly, I expected better from them. The cutscenes were very basic - very disappointing!

Voices/Sounds/Music: The voiceovers were good, but I wasn't impressed with the sounds. During most of the gameplay, all you could hear were children's voices or some kind of moaning. The music wasn't superior either - in fact, 4 or 5 themes were played during the game, and they all sounded so much alike that it was hard to tell most of them apart.

Minis/HOGs: I liked most of the mini games. Quite a few of them were just different enough from most minis in other games that I didn't find myself muttering "Not this one again!" The HOGs had sparkles (what else is new lately) but they weren't as junky as some other HOG games that I've played.

Game Overall: Besides the roughness of the graphics, I've got to say that my biggest disappointment was the lack of putting the story line together. You're lead to believe that these acts of violence in the game are the result of what happened to a family, and yet there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason (at least to me) as to why any of the original facts happened. (Sorry, don't want to say much more than that simply because I don't want to place a **spoiler** here.) I didn't mind playing the game, and truly hoped that the bonus game would have the answers that I was looking for, but sadly, it did not. Also, for those of you still wondering whether or not to buy the CE for a proper ending, it ends well enough to stick to the SE.

Recommendation: This game has violence in it so perhaps little fishies should stay away. I didn't find this one as entertaining as some so I don't want to tell players to move on to another game - maybe it was just me - but I doubt that I would play this game again.

Out of 5 stars, I can only give this one

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Oct 6, 12 8:00 PM
I played the iPad version of this game and found it to be compelling and creepy with excellent graphics and interesting story line. I wasn't too happy about the ending. I was also dissapointed that you had to complete all the acheivements to unlock part of the bonus content. You can't save the score out on the iPod edition--so collectors of musical scores will be dissapointed. If I was able to complete all the achievements I'm guessing the wallpaper wouldn't work on the iPad either. I think there has to be more editing when these games are adapted for portable devices. If there was no way to save the music, that options should have been grayed out or deleted. The bonus chapter seemed to suggest a sequel--though I'm not sure how that would be possible the way it ended.

Verdict: Good creepy game. Not suitable for pre-teens.

Negative: Needs more editing for the iPad edition; all bonus content should be unlocked regardless of acheivements since you pay extra for bonus content.

Edited on 10/06/2012 at 8:01:23 PM PST

Go to: