laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Dec 1, 11 7:53 PM
Exiled Prince is my favorite game I've ever gotten from BFG, so I've been waiting impatiently for Rise of the Snow Queen. Saved my game club credits for the last two months so I could get it for free! I'm about fifteen minutes in.

I ADORE IT.

It's perfect, wonderful, creepy and fantastic and beautiful all at once. I'm so so happy. Prince James may be usurped from the favorite spot by the time I finish!

Kilan8
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Kilan8 on Dec 1, 11 9:03 PM
I love this series. Played the demo, but knew it was a buy anyway. Beautiful graphics, great music and such a cool mix of things to do. I certainly hope this isn't the end of the series, but I'll have to wait until the end.

Awesome game!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 1, 11 9:11 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority but I don't care much for this game. I couldn't really get into it. I guess I just prefer games that are more realistic. The graphics are beautiful, the music is nice and the voice-overs are pretty good. I have no complaints about any of that. I would like to see more of a mix of hidden object word lists along with pieces of objects to find, though. I would give this one

[Post New]by Coronagold on Dec 1, 11 9:15 PM
Excellent visuals and gameplay. When I see gray/brown abortions like Pahelika 2 beta I just wonder...who the H are they marketing to? People with no money? Rotsa entrepreneurial ruck there. You'll need it.

This game was extremely beautiful and had an intriguing storyline as well. They're combining popular fairy tales in order to create their own new tales. That's not a problem with me. I find it very refreshing. And I'm sure Blue Tea Games will do more following this successful pattern.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Dec 1, 11 10:03 PM
I like the Dark Parables games and usually buy it in SE as I will this one too. There is just something I do not like about a lot of F.R.O.G.S. I would rather have H.O. but I do like F.R.O.G.s better than that silly looking for the morphing objects in the latest Ravenhearst, now that was irritating.

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Dec 1, 11 10:49 PM
WOW - I ran outta' time before I ran outta' game - I always have time left over when I finish the demo part - that makes this definite buy for me

WOOT

And just as an aside - I am liking this soooo much more than the last MCF - sorry BF - couldn't wait to finish that one but I am sure I will not want this one to end and yes I doooo love frogs

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Dec 2, 11 4:31 AM
Excellent review textrekki: thanks!
I rely on your in-depth reviews.
Besides they cover all details important to me, you're always honest, no matter you're a fan or not of any particular game's developer.
As important, you actually play the whole version of many/most games you review.
Please keep the reviews coming!

[For this game--no thanks--you've saved me the time & cost of d/l & demo play.]

textrekkie wrote:This review is on the completed game and will serve as an addemdum to my previous post.

Regular game time for me, playing in Hard Mode, with no hints, skips or strategy guide (and no morphing objects - grrrrr) was right at 5 hours. The bonus took exactly 1 hour, bringing total game time to 6.0 hours.The bonus game does honor the play mode selected for regular game play. The story in the bonus game doesn't in any way affect the regular story or it's ending.

While I was swept away with the sheer beauty of the game coupled with the music and the outstanding ambient FX, the story did not embrace me in the same manner. I didn't feel any urgency or threat or impending doom...there was just something missing - something not there - which was different for me in a Dark Parables game.

Most of the puzzles in the game were of two varieties and neither was difficult or interesting. There was also a few of the over-familiar "collections" puzzles. All of the HOS were used at least twice and in the bonus game most were used at least 3 times, as the bonus game covers a very small area.

Although I was delighted that the game had play mode options, I thought withholding morphing objects from Hard Mode players a huge oversight. Gamers love extras...especially morphing objects.

Overall, it seemed like the game had a canned or manufactured feel to it and that's a let down for me coming from my favorite developer. If it's a conscious decision on their part, so be it. I can only hope otherwise. 4 outta 5 stars.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 2, 11 5:16 AM
Valdy wrote:SPOILER ALERT

CasualGran wrote:Morphing Objects? In my game I don't see morphing objects, and I'm playing in Casual Mode. Nontheless, could i be missing something?

They are very subtle in this game. The first one is in the courtyard on the left where the knight is at the top of the wall (or whatever it is), holding a sword. Look at the sword...

Thanks for pointing this out! I really missed them till now! And thanks to Textrekkie also, the other kind fishie to mention this gameplay-extra. I love morphing objects (as an extra ) and I'lld rather not have missed them!

[Post New]by Columbia999 on Dec 2, 11 5:39 AM
I've just played the demo, and despite saying I'm not buying any more CEs, I think I'm going to have to get this one, it's lovely!!!

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Dec 2, 11 6:12 AM
This is a "Rats! It's over!" trial for me, which means a definite buy. More eerie than scary which is fine by me. Probably will wait for the SE, unless I see some reviews about bonus material play that I can't resist.

And hey, any one got the number of that beastly critter with the glowing eyes? 'Cause there are a couple of neighbor kids people would pay to have controlled.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 2, 11 7:34 AM
A review based on the demo. I played it to the end, but won't be buying. Here's why:

There are a lot of things done right here. The graphics are very nice, and the cutscenes are brief, high quality and exciting. They could have taken more care over some of the animations: the talking animations are particularly unrealistic and creepy, but overall this is a very nice looking game.

The gameplay is solid, but hardly innovative. The H0 scenes are interesting, being of the "find this pictured item in the scene" variety. I find this harder than the lists, for some reason. But the minigames in the demo were uninspiring, consisting entirely of simple swapping puzzles of a few different sorts. Elsewhere, EVERYTHING was of the "shield emblem fits into shield shaped gap" variety, except for one puzzle with a wolf and one with nailed on boards. Personally, I'd prefer something a little more taxing, or it feels like we're just reuniting lost items with their slots!

The storytelling, as usual for me, lets things down. (I may sound like a broken record here, and if these things don't spoil your fun then I'm glad, but I know I'm not alone in being disappointed by the standard of the storytelling in these games, so I'm going to keep mentioning it in my reviews.)

The plot is standard rehashed fairytale stuff. It seems to be competently done but it's hardly very ambitious. The Snow Queen has kidnapped Swiss children and transported them to her ice kingdom. It's difficult to care how it will turn out. But there are at least plenty of events, and the demo ends at an appropriate time.

The setting (magical frozen castle) looks nice but doesn't even begin to hang together. Why do any of these machines do what they do? Why is that beautiful statue designed to COLLAPSE when you fix it? When is this set? In the intro we have a dictaphone or a radio or something, but there's no sign of anything modern after that and everyone speaks and thinks like they're channeling Wilkie Collins.

The nuts and bolts of the writing are a bit above average but still poor. The main characters thoughts, as mentioned above, are overwritten, which makes her seem either weirdly detached or anachronistic. Even if that is a deliberate style choice, the translator hasn't quite got the hang of it, with odd phrases like "behind the fog" (instead of "through") sprinkled liberally about.

The instruction text and tutorial popups seem to have been written by someone different and are full of errors.

[Post New]by Paintedspoon on Dec 2, 11 7:46 AM
A really beautiful game! This developer puts out stunning graphics. Only got 17out of the morphing objects but will look more closely next time. So worth the money.

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Dec 2, 11 8:12 AM
Continuing on from my earlier post, I stayed up late to play the full game, and saved the bonus game for after I woke up.

Yes, I love it. Exiled Prince, however, remains my favorite. I was a tiny bit disappointed by the ending of this one, which had a vaguely anti-climactic feel. I was also rather chagrined to spot a number of spelling/grammatical errors in the dialogue, whereas the first two games contained none. Someone didn't proofread this too well.

The cursed objects, as noted by others, were much more subtle this time around - I think I only found six or seven of the twenty! This in and of itself isn't so bad, but there were so many objects in each scene that seemed to shimmer suggestively that I basically ended up clicking on everything in an attempt to find them, and usually failed.

I did very much like the Snow Queen's motivation for everything she did, even though it seems to slightly contradict the previous game. Specifically: the Frog Prince built a massive underground shrine for his loved ones, but didn't include anything for his son? Unless I missed something in the second game, which I may go back and replay just to be sure of it, there was no hint of that particular development.

I honestly thought the Queen's beastly buddy was going to turn out to be the Beast, from Beauty and the Beast, so I was unprepared for that twist.

Overall, yup, loved it and am VERY excited by the promise of a fourth game. Those few nitpicks aren't enough to put me off! I even created a page for the Dark Parables at TV Tropes, so that more people will find out about these games and experience their magic for themselves.

[Post New]by kalliopeia on Dec 2, 11 8:56 AM
This game is certainly very pretty, and I bought it based on about 15 minutes of trial play and the fact that I really enjoyed previous Dark Parables games. Sadly I found this one a little boring. The puzzles are nearly always one of two or three games, repeated over and over. None of them are very challenging. I played on hard mode, no hints or skips available, so once or twice I'd use the strategy guide if I need a pointer on where to go next. It would talk about the morphing objects, which I never saw and now I see weren't there at all in hard mode. Personally I didn't really care as I never thought morphing objects were very interesting to start with and after Escape From Ravenhearst I don't care if I never see one ever again, but it does seem weird that they'd be in the easier versions but not the hard. I also had the issue with the voices. Again personally I don't care as voiceovers aren't important to me, and often actually irritate me, but it seemed weird that they were audible in some scenes and not others. Overall I don't think it's worth a CE price.

Also, I can't be the only one who wished I could go save the cold frog?

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Dec 2, 11 9:24 PM
In the intro we have a dictaphone or a radio or something, but there's no sign of anything modern after that and everyone speaks and thinks like they're channeling Wilkie Collins.

Love this! How many people have even heard of Wilkie Collins nowadays. Now I have to see if The Moonstone is available in Project Guttenburg.

I had a problem with the chilly frog also. And in the Frog Prince game I have to keep reminding myself at first that it is a fairy tale, and it's ok to have frog species from the tropics in the Black Forest. I also have a problem with games that have anacondas sounding like rattlesnakes. During my trial run this game had more bunnies than frogs. I love that they make the animals interactive a great deal of the time.

hrslvr_paints
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,224 Posts

[Post New]by hrslvr_paints on Dec 2, 11 10:13 PM
Is the bonus chapter worth using my only two game credits? I honestly don't know why I buy CEs ever as I don't honestly care about any of the extras other than the bonus play.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Dec 3, 11 3:15 AM
hrslvr_paints wrote:Is the bonus chapter worth using my only two game credits? I honestly don't know why I buy CEs ever as I don't honestly care about any of the extras other than the bonus play.

imo, it's pretty short, and it's not connected to the main story at all. (it's 'hansel and gretal'.)

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 3, 11 3:26 AM
Already so many reviews...

I LOVE Blue Tea Games and I've not been disappointed with this one. Superb game, graphics are beautiful, mini games sometimes easy, sometimes not, excellent story mixing all sorts of fairy tales' characters, humour here and there, hours of play. The only thing I could complain about is the map, no names on the locations and you can (at least I can !) easily get lost.
Otherwise an excellent game,

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 3, 11 7:10 AM
I just finished the game, and what a wonderful game this was.

Graphics were very good.

HINT and SKIP buttons refilled quickly.

There is a map, which is really very well made. You can see where you are, and when you are on the main page and point your cursor in any direction, you will see on the mini map where it takes you.
What I would have liked is that we can jump to the different parts. Towards the end of the game, I was getting sometimes lost.

The morphing objects (I only found 9 out of the 20 LOL) are quite subtle in this game, and with every one you find the HINT button fills up even faster in easy mode.
And there are quite a few other things to collect as well...

I bought the CE because the bonus game wasn't part of the main game, and I am glad I did. Usually when I am done with the main game, I am glad it's over, and I don't really want to continue with the same story.

I very much enjoyed the bonus story of "Hänsel and Gretel" (which took me just over 50 minutes to complete), and would love to see a whole game made of it.

From the little extra that was shown after the main game was finished, I couldn't figure out what the next game will be about. I did recognise the Snow Queen story from the last game's intro to the new one, but haven't got a clue what the next story might be about.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Dec 3, 11 3:06 PM
beautiful and glorious and intricate
Blue Tea Games strikes again!!!!!!
might have to get the C.E. edition

Go to: