yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side Collector's Edition

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Dec 18, 11 12:01 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Sorry, but this must be done:

Given that this takes place in and around Prague, one would think there would be more Czechs and balances when it comes to magic. If The Descendant gets paid for this, will the Czech be in the mail? If someone from Prague has a tattoo, is it called a Czech mark? And, finally, if somebody works at the shopping center, putting money amounts on products, are they called Price Czechs?

Done now.

As for the game, I kind of liked it, but there were several things that had me rolling my eyes from second one. If the main character were really me, my first question would have been, "But what if I don't feel like being The Descendant? Maybe I have plans next Tuesday." Also, whoever cast the voice-over actors must be deaf, because the acting was not just laughable, but near-criminal. The dude playing Sir William made Forrest Gump sound like Al Pacino. The second knight...spoke in...short phrases...and took...forever to say...his few lines. I wanted to take the halberd from the nearby suit of armor and smack him with it.

Beyond that, the gameplay was what eventually sold me on the game. I loved most of the puzzles (I could have done without a certain pipe puzzle...grrrrrrrrr...but I eventually figured it out), enjoyed the hidden-object scenes and didn't mind the somewhat vague storyline. I do, however, have the same problem that others have with the lack of logic in games like this. Yes, I can see the point of using a sledgehammer to take down a wall. The same object can also be used to knock down a rusty grate, but nooooooooooo...not in this game. We are almost in the year 2012, people; the things that made text-based games more difficult do not work quite as well in ones with graphics, where more obvious choices should apply.

I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I'll buy this as a collector's edition. There's enough here that I might, unless something better comes down the pike. If I were to give it a score, I'd like to give it...not a 9, but a 7. It's good, but there's too many silly little things that keep it from being great. This IS Sir William, SIGN-ing oFF.

Enjoy! darkdisciple

I had a good laugh while reading your post,
This was hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle!
I enjoyed the demo too! I decided to buy it this particular weekend with the calender giveaway with a CE purchase and was would have to agree with the many positive reviews on THIS game.

Edited on 12/18/2011 at 12:03:28 PM PST

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Dec 20, 11 3:41 PM
I really, really like this game. I have enjoyed it more than any other I have played in a long while. Interesting story, like the ghosts speaking to me, and the mini-games are different and fun.

IMHO this deserves 10 stars.

darkdisciple - your post cracked me up!! Too funny..........

Edited on 12/20/2011 at 3:46:10 PM PST

Contender for Favorite Adventure Lite game of the year

[Post New]by Mystery_Fan on Dec 23, 11 6:46 PM
My favorite game of the year - at least in the top 3.
Similarities to Hallowed Legends Templar - which I also give 5 stars. Great graphics, voice-acting and cut-scenes. Challenging puzzles and good **** scenes. Gem feature to highlight glyphs on walls is another nice activity. Lots of achievements to attain. Three levels of difficulty. Built-in strategy guide that holds your place. Very, very long game - over 8 hours since I didn't skip any mini-games. I did resort to using the strategy guide on a few mini-games. I can't imagine playing this game without the strategy guide - and highly recommend the CE version. While the story does have a similar storyline to Templar, the story spin is different enough to feel fresh. If any con: the game might be too long - and some puzzles too challenging.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Dec 23, 11 11:48 PM
This is such a great quality game so why am I bored to tears with it? The graphics are stunning and visually pleasing, the voiceovers sound great, the gameplay itself is fun but I am just not into this game at all. I've played for 30 minutes and I just keep looking at the clock like "ok has 60 minutes passed?" Its the right degree of difficulty as well. I am not struggling nor is it too easy for me. For some reason I just cannot get into this plot line. I don't care who "The Nine" were or the dark side surrounding them nor do I care to save anyone. Its so weird to me because usually when I don't like a game its because of the quality or the game itself having bugs or the same story over n over but this is a new story with new characters and great music and graphics and I am bored. Sorry developers I just didn't get sucked in like I had hoped...

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Dec 26, 11 10:19 AM
I bought this game based on the reviews which is how I usually determine whether to buy or not and I'm glad I did. Very good high quality game with an excellent Hint system and it filled my screen which is very important to me. Interesting puzzles, but I had to skip a few (too difficult for me), so I'll replay again not only to have another go at the puzzles, but the game offered lots to do. Therefore, IMHO offering re-play value.
There were a couple of scenes that made me jump. The first one startled me so that I did literally jump. I paused and darn if I didn't do it again ! ! And jump again. Oooh scary. This was a good length. I'm not a speedy player, so I'd guess it took me about 7-8 hours. I really liked this game....can you tell ? I'm glad I bought the CE as I did use the SG.....got lost a few times.

P.S. I played in the middle mode as I don't care for lots of sparkles and prefer less hand-holding.

Edited on 12/26/2011 at 10:21:29 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Dec 27, 11 3:46 AM
This is a really challenging game for me to play from Play Favourite Games, I had not heard of this developer before. The story is detailed & revealed by meeting spirits of the 9 as you move through the game; the dialogue in the cut scenes is rather long but you can skip if you wish.

The graphics are crystal clear & the artwork excellent. The music suits the theme but does get rather repetitive although it does change in different areas & the background sounds are also suitable.

You get a journal that gives you the story & throughout the game you find scrolls which add to the story or give you clues, there is also an objective list. In addition you can earn 32 achievements during the game. You will find a red gem & this lights up when you reach areas of significance to the 9; the gem reveals symbols that can be used to show areas of interest.

Widescreen is available & there are 3 modes of play, casual with hints & a skip button, advanced that also has a misclick penalty & if you dare a hardcore mode with no hints & a very long wait for the skip button. The hints are very useful as they do tell you what needs to be done next rather than just pointing you in a general direction.

There are not a lot of hidden objects scenes in this game, the emphasis is on solving the mini games & these are not easy. The game is a long one, I spent a lot of time trying to work out how to solve the puzzles, & is well worth trying out.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 27, 11 9:31 AM
I finished this game now. Thank goodness

Although it wasn't as tedious as I thought it might be (not a big fan of medival castles, knights, and battleaxes), the bonus game was exhausting and tiresome, because not only did I encounter the same HOS (hidden object scenes) as there were in the main game, but the bonus game was riddled with puzzles. And I mean there was one puzzle after another, with the odd HOS thrown in.

I am not a big fan of puzzles. I don't mind the odd one here and there in a HOG, thrown in to get on in a game (opening a door or what have you), but this game, and especially the bonus game was just shock full of them.

So if you, like me, are not too keen on puzzles (I was so tired of them, I just took a break while the SKIP button filled, so I could just skip them), then beware...

I only bought the CE, because I got it at half price. Wasn't thrown off my chair when I played the trial version, and was going to wait for the SE (seemed OK enough to play the SE), and I am glad I only paid the SE price for the CE, because I certainly won't be replaying this game again. *yawn*

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Dec 28, 11 5:03 AM
I had no trouble with the demo, but the further I went on the CE, the longer it took to switch. No error messages, and a different CE HOG ran smoothly. I'll un-install and try again. The game itself, tended to go in (virtual) circles. Nehmah

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 28, 11 7:53 PM
Great graphics. SuperHOG/Adventure game Couple of puzzles I found to be to hard had to skip, except for that I really enjoyed this game. Got all the achievements except for 5 of them.

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Dec 28, 11 8:09 PM
Valdy and I are polar opposites.

I love puzzles and bought this game totally because of all the puzzles. The harder the better. The ones where I have to keep taking breathers with a and choccy.

Also liked the era, liked the art, liked the story-although it was a little murky in places--. Liked everything. My speakers blew, so I can't comment on voices.

I have never heard of this developer but think they are off to a great start, and will be looking foward to continuing efforts.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Dec 29, 11 2:34 PM
Loved it!! Great graphics, HOG's, story line & voices.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 4, 12 6:40 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:
tj1147 wrote:...As others have mentioned the achievements, I'm wondering - if there is an achievement to be won for not using the hint button in advanced mode, do you achieve it if you play in the mode that doesn't offer hints? (Hope that makes sense!).
Yes, you get an achievement for completing the game in Hardcore mode.

I loved this game and don't have a single negative thing to say about it. By page two of game reviews, everything that can be said has usually already been said and so I don't have any more to say.

Thanks for your reply, Shadowfax...I appreciate it! I'm looking forward the SE of this one!

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Jan 8, 12 8:06 AM
Just finished...finally. Became quite tedious for me, so I did not play straight through. Only played the bonus since I paid for it. Was so ready for the game to end. (I can never leave any game unfinished...)

I agree with what Megwoman25 and Valdy had to say above. Like Valdy, I often left to go do something else to allow the puzzle skip to become available. Too many of the puzzles were just a variation on a theme.

I also have to agree with what someone else wrote in a separate thread that was locked. For me, the storyline really could have been clearer/better - more of a story that got my interest and attention. This game just never clicked for me.

On the plus side, I did like the quality of the graphics and many locations in the game.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jan 15, 12 11:57 PM
finally got a chance to play for more than a few minutes at a time...football season, housguests, Christmas and new year's hijinks...and wow was this fun! i really loved the minigames/puzzles and all the different looks to advance. definitely enjoyable, in addition to all the usual suspects (great graphics, etc.), really great mini games. btw did i mention the (ok, but i really did like them)...
lovin life in southern Nevada...

manxie273
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by manxie273 on Jan 31, 12 11:18 AM
This is a seriously good game. Crystal clear graphics, interesting storyline, HO scenes not too difficult, but many and varied puzzles - some really quite hard but never boring. Plenty of bang for your buck too as it lasted me about 8/9 hours for the CE. One of the most enjoyable games for a while - 5 out of 5 for this one.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Mar 17, 12 1:14 AM
Bought this a long time ago and just now got around to playing it... 6 hours with the bonus so those who care about length will appreciate that. Me... I was bored and just wanted to be done with it by then. It's a great storyline and really needs the bonus for completion. I love how it's blended into the main game... I was wondering about some things that begged to have something done with them but didn't...and then realized why in the bonus. SG is well done and not too hard to follow. Logic isn't this devs forte however so you do have to turn off your logic brain in parts... just remember to switch it back on for some (not all but some) of the puzzles. This one is a good mix of hos, puzzles and mini-games but I was disappointed with the repetition in the hos... same old same old objects and revisiting scenes.

Still... this is one I would buy again as a CE.. no regrets and I'll be watching for more from this dev... they are the new gold standard me thinks.

5 out of 5 stars even with the few annoyances...

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Mar 27, 12 6:53 PM
OK, here's my review of 9: The Dark Side CE:

Options: Offered were Music, Effects, Full Screen, Widescreen, & System Cursor. Game modes are Casual, Advanced, & Hardcore. After the main game is played are Extra Game (bonus), Soundtrack, Wallpaper, & Concept Art.

Graphics: Nice graphics - clear and not over-the-top dark, but not as detailed as a couple other games that I've played not too long ago. Cutscenes were good, too.

Voices/Sounds/Music: There was text that accompanied the voices which was good to have at times, and although the sounds effects weren't frequent, I liked the momentary gutteral chuckle that seemed to emanate from the walls at times! As for the music, it was good until I heard one tune for what seemed like the two-hundredth time! Very repetitious!

Minis/HOGs: The minigames were plentiful - especially during the bonus game - OMG! They ranged from easy to very lengthy to very difficult. I gave up a couple of times and thankful for the SG which stayed on the page where you leave it. I played on Advanced mode so there were sparkles to show where the HOGs were, but they were not in-your-face bright. I really enjoyed the Achievements, and only missed 3.

Game Overall: Like most other fishes, I've not heard of the PFG developers before this game, but I'd say they are off to a very good start. My disappointments were the extreme amount of minis, the fact that you could download Screensavers at the end of the game, but not the Music, and I would also work some on the story line cuz I didn't feel any real passion in it. That may be why so many players were on the fence with this one.Towards the end, and especially during the bonus, I just wanted the game to end.

Recommendation: It's not necessary to buy the CE for a good ending, but if you have difficulties with minis, it's good to have the SG right there. This game is not for fishes who detest dark magic, altho I didn't see anything too scary.

Out of 5 stars, I would give this one

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 7, 12 10:23 PM
Well, I finished the main game and boy am I exhausted!! Talk about going back and forth! Boy do my feet hurt! I thought the game was fun and loved the graphics, not too many HOS (yeah) and rather different mini-games - some which I had to skip - just didn't get what the heck they wanted me to do in them. Maybe it was me, but I found the directions for some of the games, very confusing. It sure was a long game and the devs put ALOT of work into it so congrats on that. I can't play the bonus game right now - need a break and some sleep!!

feenix

[Post New]by DashGamesAddict on Jul 2, 12 1:08 AM
After only playing five minutes of the demo, it was a must-buy for me. I've only just started playing it and LOVE it. I even love the music.

Is there a sequel to this game?

Petsitterkathy
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by Petsitterkathy on Jan 30, 14 5:35 AM
may be the only one, but I need a map for this game. I am completely lost. Is there a hidden map I cannot find?

Go to: