Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Hapless on Dec 11, 11 3:12 AM
Truly the most wonderful game I have played. I'm so glad I bought the CE.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Dec 11, 11 8:03 PM
Well, I have to say... I really did enjoy playing the demo. The graphics were really nice (almost 3d like in some scenes), the story interesting, and the voice overs really good. I just found the HOG scenes too easy. I barely had to look, and the giant object was in front of my eyes jumping out at me. I don't like to squint either, and gain a headache searching, but I don't like super easy either. So, I've decided to pass up the CE, but I may consider later to get the SE. All and all, a good game, but just that one problem for me.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Dec 12, 11 3:09 AM
I finished the whole game, and I must say that it's too short to be a CE, although it's a very good game. At first I was very enthusiast based on the demo, afterwards it got banal and too obvious, and lost the initial vibrancy, (lately it's happening a lot, with these games), overall I would give 4 1/2

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Dec 12, 11 12:09 PM
I was disappointed in this game, did not feel it was worth the cost for a CE. I do not recommend this game.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 13, 11 7:15 AM
Just finished playing this game, very interactive, good characters, fun and not frustrating or difficult to play, this one is a winner for those that like games that are very interesting with a nice mystery story line and don't have to waste time looking the strategy guide to finish or understand some of the challenge games.

Nice game overall.

hazelize
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by hazelize on Dec 13, 11 3:48 PM
SoManyCrimes wrote:

The writing is, as usual, terrible, and completely lets down the fun story. Dialogue (and the journal) is overwritten and clumsy. Newspaper reports and letters are just lying around with no rhyme or reason, and are written with no thought for style and tone.

The voice actors were.... I'm going to say "valiant". No actor, no matter how accomplished, could make the sheriff's line where he had to say "the crime" twice in the space of a single sentence sound good. This is basic writing technique, developers! I bet that poor actor was the first person who ever had to read that sentence out loud to see how it sounds.

Developers: I will not buy any of your games if you don't a) think about your prose and dialogue and b) hire a proper translator. It's as simple as that. No competent writing, no cash!

Thank you, SoManyCrimes, for suggesting that game developers employ more writers. It occurs to me that, even if a game doesn't have much dialogue, writers may contribute to the narrative and the logical flow of the game. (Lately I have encountered games where I'm almost shaking my head in disbelief, not at fiends and monsters, but at developers who think, for example, archeologists would smash priceless artifacts with a crowbar to get at the relic inside.)

Even if that were not the case with this game, I thought the graphics were muddy, poorly drawn, and appeared stretched out. The clawed-hand cursor was awkward -- I had to really work to manipulate it sometimes.

This was not an enjoyable game for me. I wouldn't buy it at $2.99.

Edited on 12/13/2011 at 3:59:17 PM PST

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Dec 13, 11 7:06 PM
Brially: I, too, was not going to buy another CE this month, being that I just finished my Christmas shopping. But maybe I will just make this a Christmas present to myself. I enjoyed the demo, and was sorry when it ended. I know some of you don't like the hand holding, but I don't mind it at all. Well, anyway, Merry Christmas to all, Happy Hanukkah and happy any other holiday you may be celebrating this month.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 15, 11 4:15 PM
hazelize wrote:
SoManyCrimes wrote:

The writing is, as usual, terrible, and completely lets down the fun story. Dialogue (and the journal) is overwritten and clumsy. Newspaper reports and letters are just lying around with no rhyme or reason, and are written with no thought for style and tone.

The voice actors were.... I'm going to say "valiant". No actor, no matter how accomplished, could make the sheriff's line where he had to say "the crime" twice in the space of a single sentence sound good. This is basic writing technique, developers! I bet that poor actor was the first person who ever had to read that sentence out loud to see how it sounds.

Developers: I will not buy any of your games if you don't a) think about your prose and dialogue and b) hire a proper translator. It's as simple as that. No competent writing, no cash!

Thank you, SoManyCrimes, for suggesting that game developers employ more writers. It occurs to me that, even if a game doesn't have much dialogue, writers may contribute to the narrative and the logical flow of the game. (Lately I have encountered games where I'm almost shaking my head in disbelief, not at fiends and monsters, but at developers who think, for example, archeologists would smash priceless artifacts with a crowbar to get at the relic inside.)Even if that were not the case with this game, I thought the graphics were muddy, poorly drawn, and appeared stretched out. The clawed-hand cursor was awkward -- I had to really work to manipulate it sometimes.

This was not an enjoyable game for me. I wouldn't buy it at $2.99.

I may buy this game as SE, yet have to agree with you on the absurd disregard to reality in so many games of late... in spite of "games being games", there has to be some kind of substance to grab on to in order to entice me to go on! I also truly enjoy a GOOD 'spooky' game, yet, I simply have to shake my head at the sheer overwhelming glut we have of fiends, monsters, gore and dreary, etc, in recent game offerings. Sort of like too much sugar during the holidays.... it's a treat and great in small amounts yet there is a point where I just can't eat any more for a while. Eventually there is a strong urge to reach for healthy food, lol.

Anyhoo, this game looked pretty good to me via DEMO.. again, I will put it on my 'to buy' list.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Dec 17, 11 8:41 PM
I really liked this game !! The music was very Hitchcock-ish, I loved that !! This was a game that as soon as I played the demo, I knew I was going to get it, and did. It was a fun and interesting game. The scenery was good,the voices were good and again the music was so nice, it was not creepy in a depressing way, but it made it enjoyable to play the game and listen to at the same time. Nice work Devs !! Thanks to BFG for having it !

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Dec 21, 11 7:59 AM
Fun Factor: 4 stars
Visual/Sound Quality: 5 1/2 stars
Level of Challenge: 4 stars
Average Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Pros: The graphics better than the predecessor. Plenty of locations to visit. The plot is interesting.

Cons: Game relies on the players to read the journal or otherwise they miss a great portion of the story. Puzzles are somewhat easy. A lot of trekking (for those who hate trekking. I on the other hand don't mind the trekking.)

(This review is based on the game's demo.)

Edited on 12/21/2011 at 12:52:47 PM PST

[Post New]by aniWesa on Dec 24, 11 4:13 PM
Nice game! 5 stars of 5!

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on Dec 25, 11 1:07 AM
I bought this game during their Christmas sale and I love it. The strategy guide that comes with it so much more helpful than the one that came with Escape From Ravenhearst. That strategy guide sucked. Buying this game at SE prices is a great buy. This game is so fun to play. I'm going to buy a couple of more games during the sale. keep up the good work Bigfish. I love your sales.

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by iamlindy on Dec 25, 11 9:13 AM
I liked this game a lot right from the beginning. I didn't finish the game part of the demo, being a slow player! It had everything I would look for in a game, graphics were great, story line is different, lots of places to go and I love the back and forth in this game, it's fun and you never know what you may have missed. The scenes in which you had to find things were very clear and easy to see. Lots of good things to say, and then came the sale this weekend. Well I am one happy fishy! Thanks to BF for the sale, the great games and of course the ability to demo before buying. Merry Christmas one and all

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Dec 25, 11 9:41 AM
a really good H.O. game
decent puzzles
BONUS section was very good...
and love red herrings!!!!
enjoy

Too Many HOS For Me

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Dec 29, 11 8:49 AM
As usual, I always seem to write a review after all the dust has settled. haha

I just finished the game and the game itself took close to 5 hours to complete and the Bonus Chapter took over an hour. So, this game is Collector's Edition (CE) - worthy. Just about everything has been said about what the game consists of, so I'll just focus on a few points.

I loved the game itself and most everything about it was very well done. Yes, it's slightly annoying when there are spelling, grammar, and syntax errors in the journal, but it's not that big a deal for me. Plus, I don't even bother reading most of the newspaper clippings in detail. As a matter of principle, they should hire a proper English translator to show they care about their end product, but the errors don't detract from my enjoyment of the game; they make me laugh.

I found that most items you needed were near at hand most of the time and there wasn't that much going back and forth. I especially liked the Amusement Park. The Adventure aspects of the game were a lot of fun.

What I didn't like about the game, was that there were too many HOS. However, after I finished, I counted and there were 30 HOS in the game; 23 in the main game and 7 in the Bonus Chapter. But when I played it, it seemed like there were about 60 HOS. Reflecting on the game now, what happened is that the HOS are strung together in succession. So sometimes you do play for about 15 minutes without a HOS and then there are 6 in a row.

The only other thing I didn't like was that the game was a little sluggish for me. There was a delay when changing scenes.

If you like HOS, then you will probably really love this game. If, like me, you don't like them, then you'll like the game a bit less.

I give the game an 8 out of 10 because I don't like HOS. If you like them, then the game is a 9 out of 10.

Edited on 12/29/2011 at 8:52:49 AM PST

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Dec 30, 11 1:46 AM
purchased the game and liked it but was not that impressed by it..good story line but it was too easy to play..tried both styles and was very disappointed..

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Jan 1, 12 3:00 PM
Loved it!! Great graphics the colors were sooooo good, voices & story line.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 3, 12 5:59 AM
I loved this game. Great graphics and a nice eeeery storyline. Wish there were more voice overs. The SG was great it kept your place and easy to read.

I liked the journal and the HOG scenes. Keep the interactive hogs a comin. Cant wait for the next game.

Give this game a try if you like the dark side of games lol.

Happy gaming

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 6, 12 6:59 AM
BearKat wrote:
tj1147 wrote:
BearKat wrote:
The one thing I DON'T LIKE is the fact that the extras(wallpapers, screen savers,musical score and concept art) are not available during gameplay. I totally understand keeping the bonus play under lock and key, but, I like to enjoy these things WHILE I am playing the game. It adds to the total feel for the game. This is, however a personal preference and while annoying did not keep from purchasing the game. Just lessens my overall enjoyment of it.

I am curious...how do you use the wallpaper, screen savers, etc during game play? I've read other people post regarding this but I've never tried it and really don't know how. Too, how does it add to game play? I'm not trying to be difficult...I truly would like to know. Thanks for your help!!

tj

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but, I am just now getting back on line today.
I enjoy picking out one of the wallpapers to use as a desktop while playing a game and then changing it if there are several I like. Sometimes I use the screensavers, sometimes not. Depending on which shots from a game are used. I enjoy looking at the concept art during the game and comparing it to the finished product. I like to listen to the score and seeing what they named the music for each scene. While all of this can be done AFTER you finish a game, I like to do it while I am actually playing the game. I pay for it and some Devs make it available from the beginning.If one can do it, I fail to see why all can't. Like I said it is a personal preference. I prefer to do it while playing the game for the first time as I seldom play a game over right after I complete it. If it is available from the beginning it is easier to look at the concept art and compare. BK

Thanks for your reply! I believe I understand now why some people do like the "extras" to not be held hostage until finishing a game!

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jan 8, 12 10:42 PM
I am over half way through and am enjoying this game a lot! FYI I did see a dead mouse earlier and one scurry by in the little room off the grocery store but not at all scarey and very quick moving. Actually, I expected to see more but not that I noticed so far anyhow. They only bother me if they are in my house. When I was raising my family in the country, we had them. My children even raised them for science projects at school and I made them stay in the basement. I do appreciate the fact that they bother some people in these games but I don't think this will be one of them. Enjoy!

Go to: