Re:Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Collector's Edition

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 17, 11 10:20 AM
Just finished playing "Haunted Past" and had a really good time, especially after I figured out what to do with the items collected in the "ghost realm" and how to transport them back to present. I was pretty confused at first!! The only thing that really annoyed me (besides the ghost's voice, yuch!!) was when I bought the full version and went to play, I had to start from the beginning. My name was gone, nothing was saved. But since I had just finished playing, I got caught up quick. But what the hey!! Anyway, it was a nice way to pass some afternoon time on this cold gloomy day in Pennsylvania, USA!!

feenix

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Dec 17, 11 7:37 PM
I was on the side porch when the game faded out. It had done this since the start-up; the details weren't detailed; the v/o was grim (where do they find these voices?) I have "senior vision" and even with 4+ reading glasses, I couldn't see or find many of the HOs. Perhaps when the developers refine/tweak the game it woll be worth purchase. Nehmah

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Dec 17, 11 7:39 PM
I was on the side porch at the beginning of the game, when the scene halted, then faded out. It had done this since the start-up; the details weren't detailed; the v/o was grim (where do they find these voices?) I have "senior vision" and even with 4+ reading glasses, I couldn't see or find many of the HOs. Perhaps when the developers refine/tweak the game it woll be worth purchase. Nehmah

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Dec 18, 11 1:44 PM
I gave two tries at the demo, and eventually just really lost interest. Not into this one so much, maybe it's just that I totally could not get into this game. I seriously doubt that I will be adding this one to my collection!

seeme278
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

Ridiculously Short

[Post New]by seeme278 on Dec 18, 11 4:58 PM
Just finished the whole game (didn't do the bonus yet) and feel compelled to warn anyone who hasn't bought yet that this game is the shortest ever. I should have known when I finished in the demo in 35 mins. that this game might be too easy. Interesting concept with two worlds, but the jobs are repetitive and many of the tasks just simply illogical. You sometimes just have to click everything in your inventory to figure out a puzzle. It is entertaining. If it were longer, I would say it is worth a rainy afternoon. But at this length, I recommend waiting for a credit. If you drop the CE price, you might be disappointed.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Dec 19, 11 10:50 PM
I just finished the game, including the Bonus Chapter and found it to be quite LONG. Took me just under 7 hours. I really like to take my time and think about what I'm doing and figuring things out on my own. I used VERY few hints and resorted to the SG four times. Didn't like the format of the SG. Appreciated that they have a little box you can click on to pop a picture up, but HATE that it doesn't save your place!!

I'm VERY excited to know there will be sequels to this FANTASTIC game!! I can't wait and will buy sight unseen!!! Will definitely replay this treasure!! Thanks BF!!

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Dec 20, 11 1:25 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I liked being able to pass from realm-to-realm and being able to hide items to be picked up in another realm. I am looking forward to the next game.

The Strategy Guide took some getting used to, but I didn't mind it. The hint button worked really well for guidance and information, in both the H0 scenes and other scenes. I especially liked the "all clear" feature; didn't have to waste time trying to figure out if I got everything.

Hope others also enjoyed this type of game.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 21, 11 6:55 PM
a good and somewhat different game, will buy the s.e.

[Post New]by Chickydoodle on Dec 23, 11 3:08 AM
I always love a good ghost story and I really enjoyed this game. It was pretty short, but the bonus chapter was fun and gave some added length to the game.

Of course, I had just finished "Escape from Ravenhearst" and felt like that game was never going to end, so the shorter length of "Realm of Ghosts" was a welcome respite. Otherwise, I may have been unhappy about how short it was...especially considering I did buy the Collector's Edition.

There will clearly be sequels to this game and I look forward to them.

lj021
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by lj021 on Dec 23, 11 12:09 PM
Sheerija wrote:
Fortunacookie wrote:I have a question to ask those who have purchased and finished the game - in a non-spoiler context, does the story have an appropriate "end"? I don't mind if games leave openings for sequels, but I swore I would not buy any more games from this developer after the last few have left me hanging with either a very abrupt ending or more of a "to be continued" ending which took place right in the middle of the story (in my view), which I found very unsatisfying from a gameplaying perspective.

Any insight would be appreciated!

This may be a SPOILER and may not be allowed:-

At the beginning of the BC you are told you are going to "a land of green and fire", but it never happens. Instead it's just more of the same, to me, monotony. Then at the end of the BC they tell you you'll go there in the sequel.

I'm reading that back and it sounds ridiculous, but that's how it went.

lj021
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by lj021 on Dec 23, 11 12:27 PM
I was also very confused after I finished the bonus chapter. You are in Ireland talking to a lady in purple and you are expecting to go to the island and the game ends....Where's the sequel or is there one? I thought I got the collectors edition so that I could finish the game from beginning to end...that's not what I signed up for. Do I have to buy the sequel? What and where do I find it? I like to finish what I started and its driving me crazy. Anybody have an idea if there is a sequel and if so, how do I find it? If someone does have that info, and I buy this so called sequel, it better not have another open ended storyline or I will bust a blood vessel!!! Please respond, Thanks.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 24, 11 9:59 AM
I hadn't even tried this game for some reason but this fantastic sale on CEs popped up and I bought the game even without the trial. LOVE IT. Being able to customize my difficulty levels is ingenious, I hope to see this option again. I like fast hint refills but I'm really enjoying the game not telling me what each hot area needs... all I get is a question mark. Really glad I bought this, thanks BFG. Merry Christmas!

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Dec 24, 11 5:13 PM
Other than the technical issues where I had to turn off custom cursor and optimize for slow pc in thew options feature, I thought it was a good game with decent puzzles, graphics, and story.
Length of play would have been really long without the SG.
Bonus game was good too.
I rarely try to rate a game, and only because of the tech issues bringing it down, it's a "5".
Try it, but remember if you have any tech issues it will probably show up after the demo is over.
See BFG's Tech issue posts for more.
Personally-I have played better CE's, but I thought this game was worth the CE price.
Thanks BFG!!

Pretty Good Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Dec 27, 11 10:21 AM
Well, such a wide range of opinions, and most of the game details have already been given, so I will just focus on a few points.

First, the graphics are slightly dark, but they are quite nice. The irony is that in the current world they are dark, but when you enter the Ghost Realm, they are beautiful color graphics. You would think it would be the other way around. One thing I didn't see mentioned is that a great feature is that it tells you when an Area Has Been Cleared. I like that because then you know that nothing remains to be done.

Semi-Spoiler Alert:

This is not really a spoiler because it tells you What you have to do in the game, but Not how to do it, and you learn this from the beginning of the game.

Throughout the game you have to search a house and the goal is to find a Glyph that will open the door to the next room.There are always pictures on the wall that are missing iitems. So you have to find the items, put them in the pictures, and then take an item from the picture. Then you have to go through a mirror to the Past Ghost Realm of that room. However, the Ghost Realm is always just one scene. You don't travel through the Ghost Realm. There is a HOS in the Realm and few other things you have to do to get a few items. It takes abouit 5 minutes. Then it shows you where to hide the items and you return through the mirror back to the present. Then go to same the area and get the items you hid there. This will usually be what you need to get the Glyph to enter the next room. Then follow the same procedure in the next room. It became predictable, but it was still fun and it's different.

End of Semi-Spoiler Alert:

I don't like HOS, but the ones in this game were a breeze. There is no Random-Click Penalty and the Hint and Skip buttons recharge super fast. I would finish the HOS in under 2 minutes and the objects were clear and easy to find. What I didn't like was that the puzzles had no Instructions.

For those who are concerned about the price and want to know if it is worth it to buy as a CE, the answer is a resounding No. For me, I don't care about the Extras. Having a SG is usually a good thing, but there is a Walkthrough available for this game. The main reason, for me, to get the CE is for the Bonus Play. Tremendous disappointment with this game. The Bonus was over in a flash and had a very unsatisfying ending. It took me 5 hours to finish the game and 20 mins. for the Bonus. I rate it 7.5 out of 10.

Edited on 12/27/2011 at 11:00:37 AM PST

moxiemoll
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by moxiemoll on Dec 28, 11 9:52 AM
I just played a small portion of the demo and can't get into the game. It is rather confusing since you have to go back into the past and plant items and then go into the future to use them. I found this to be irritating. The goals or next step to complete are displayed as a drop down at the top of the screen, so everytime I did a search and my mouse pointer was near the top it would drop down, (even during the hidden object search) very very annoying! Everytime you find something, or complete a goal, the sparkles would appear for several seconds and I was thinking I had found a hidden object Search. I didn't finish the demo. I should try it with the stategy guide as others have done.

Edited on 02/06/2012 at 4:31:00 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 31, 11 5:48 AM
lj021 wrote:I was also very confused after I finished the bonus chapter. You are in Ireland talking to a lady in purple and you are expecting to go to the island and the game ends....Where's the sequel or is there one? I thought I got the collectors edition so that I could finish the game from beginning to end...that's not what I signed up for. Do I have to buy the sequel? What and where do I find it? I like to finish what I started and its driving me crazy. Anybody have an idea if there is a sequel and if so, how do I find it? If someone does have that info, and I buy this so called sequel, it better not have another open ended storyline or I will bust a blood vessel!!! Please respond, Thanks.

Obviously, there will be a sequel sometimes in the future, which will take us straight to Ireland.

I too was just sitting there, thinking: Oh goodie, there is some colour now where I am off to. But no... that's not where I was supposed to be just yet. *sigh*

This was a really interesting and fun game to play. I didn't enjoy the glaring ghost world - always had to change the brightness of my laptop. But apart from that, I really loved the game. Very unique and lots of things to do.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 1, 12 7:09 PM
WOO HOO....another great game that is unique, enjoyed the different game play style of, the ghost relms, in this one !!

BUT...I must say, if I hadn't of purchased this CE during the sale and paid full price for it, I wouldn't have felt like I got my moneys worth, because it was short.
And I always take my time and don't skip anything, I get into the game, so it really could have been made longer for a CE price, for those that did pay full price.
Having said that, as far as the game goes, I enjoyed it, and I liked the graphics also.
I didn't find it confusing at all, and really liked going through the mirrors, to the ghost relm's, there was another game I played a while back, that had this same feature in it and I liked that game also, that game was todays daily deal.
Its always fun to hide objects in the ghost relm, than find and use them, in the real world, so this adds to the game play, which makes it not the same old same old.
So I was totally entertained, and enjoyed every minute playing this, it had a nice flow and was a good quality game.
I am SO looking forward to the next one in this series, but I will be buying the SE version, unless the developers listen to the customers and make the next one LONGER, that is my only grip with this game, the rest FANTASTIC JOB .
Also, THANKS BF for realizing some of these CE'S were short, and for giving us, the customer a chance to buy them on sale, what a GREAT Christmas gift, thank you .
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE, may all of your hopes and dreams, come true in the New Year 2012 .

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jan 2, 12 10:46 AM
Would really like to see someone do Dickens Christmas Carol as a game.

That was done last yr.

One thing -- ye olde fake English accent from the barrister (only the Brits have those, we don't in the U.S.), so where and when this is set is really the big mystery.

Sounded like they were all faintly British to me. Of course, I turn the sound way down b/c the music default setting is almost always full blast, so maybe I just thought they had accents.

Also, one day I'll see a game where the women in the past don't have long flowing hair, but it'll be pinned up, like they actually wore their hair -- not however in this game.

Depends upon time period. Early 1900s when this game was set, not so much pinned up, & unmarried women usually didn't adhere to that. And since they're all ghosts, not only does the flowy think work better, but unless you were old, grey, & thinning & had what was left of your hair tucked up under a cap, I'll buy young women plonked into their coffins sans hairdressing. Cosmetizing a corpse has only been big for the last half-century or so & mostly in the US.

does the story have an appropriate "end"?

Yes. The bonus chapter seems to be setting up a sequel.

It's mostly grey/blue, dark and gloomy, except for the ghost rooms, where you get some light and colour.

That's, like, a prerequisite for a haunted mansion tale.

The story was weak and vague. OK, it's a ghost story but I still expect a certain measure of cohesion and I didn't detect much.

Your task is to get the ghost out of the house. No *cohesion* required.

What few mini games/puzzles there were a small child could have solved.

Them's my kind of puzzles.

The HOS were completely colourless, which made them bland and uninteresting.

Made them more challenging. I was reminded in one scene of Hidden Expedition: Everest where you were at the top of the snow-capped mtn looking for ice cubes, eggs, & marshmallows in the snow.

Last, but not least, it was waaay too short.

Seriously, how fast do y'all play? I don't think 6-7 hrs is *too short* when one recalls that the original PuppetShow & Reincarnations were hissed at for being 2 hrs, give or take. Those weren't CEs, but that was the avg HOG length back in the day.

con't.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jan 2, 12 10:48 AM
feel compelled to warn anyone who hasn't bought yet that this game is the shortest ever.

Go demo Relic Hunt. That's a freebie b/c it's done in about 45 min & that isn't hyperbole.

I knew since there were so many negative reviews this was going to be a keeper, & it was. I generally loathe the games y'all rave about & like the ones y'all despise.

The ghost world was breathtakingly baroque-ily beautiful to behold. I only wish every rm had had a mirror!

*Area Cleared* is a fab notion & I liked the fact that the rms got *titles* when 1st entered so that if you had to consult the SG & it said, go back to the DR & do this, you knew exactly where that was & didn't wander into other rms that had tables laid for tea or brunch or whatever.

The only issue I had w/ it was that I wish the SG had stayed opened where you left off.

Looking fw to a prettified sequel ASAP.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Jan 3, 12 3:48 PM
I did like most things about the game, only I am quite disappointed about the length of both the main game and the Bonus Chapter.

If I had realised sooner I would have waited for the Standard Edition.

Go to: