Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by NancySusan on Dec 19, 11 5:09 PM
I liked the trial of this game -- it is different enough that I bought it (well, used a credit) even noting that sometimes it slowed up a bit on me. Having finished it, hmmm. Of a divided mind. I had to exit the game about 3 times to check out the walkthrough, because, as others have said, the hint button (and the imaging of objects is very good in the HOS's), outside of the HOS's, is almost totally useless, since it doesn't help you work out why you're stuck in an area or where to look for something you may have overlooked -- and the map shows you where you are, but not what you may have missed. Also I found at times the urgency of the protagonist's situation is heavily diluted by how long it sometimes takes to figure things out (since the hint system doesn't show you etc. etc. etc.). Late in the game I adjusted the brightness and liked that, and suddenly discovered after thinking whole sections of story had no music, there was music, but I needed to turn it up to hear it. I also thought it was pretty funny having this slender woman operating heavy machinery, doing substantial physical tasks and mostly getting hidden objects in scenes with construction materials and tools. I was relieved when I actually found myself in a bedroom -- I noticed how much quicker the game went lol -- and I actually know what a lot of tools look like. Anyway, an interesting game, with a few clunky parts that could easily be fixed for the next one. Nice ending. And I liked the grittiness of it.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Dec 19, 11 5:26 PM
Nice game and having watched the terminator movies this made sense from the onset - the game play was interesting - story had a new twist on the terminator movies.

Liked the demo and bought the game

[Post New]by kitharris11 on Dec 20, 11 2:46 PM
I really got frustrated because I couldn't figure out what the objectives were until I kept going back to the objective list. Didn't know why I was doing what was requested. Very unclear story line and intentions not well thought out. Waited for the hour was over and cleared it from the computer.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Dec 21, 11 7:17 AM
I enjoyed this game very much. The storyline is different, the graphics are very well done, the puzzles are great and the gameplay is excellent!!

This is a definite buy for me, I just hope the game is longer than it seems from looking at the walkthrough.

Well done Developers and thanks for bringing us so many good, quality Standard Editions lately.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Dec 23, 11 2:33 PM
I just finished playing this game and enjoyed it very much. It's an Adventure/H0G and there aren't too many H0s, altho for me, the fewer the better. The puzzles were interesting and mostly doable. All the positive things have already been said and I thought this game had some depth. Thanks BF and good job Sunward. I'll be looking for more from Sunward. My only suggestion is a desire for a bit more color as I find all the grayishness (is that a word?) to be rather depressing.

Highly Recommended!

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Dec 26, 11 8:35 AM
I'll just chime in here because most everything has already been said about the game. I just completed the game and my review will tell what I liked and didn't like about the game and why.

First, I thought the game was great and I loved every minute of it. It was different, but different in a good way. It was very atmospheric. The game itself is in color, but the cut scenes are a griity, but very effective B&W. As mentioned, you can also adjust the Brightness to 1 of 5 levels. The sounds and music were very effective and it had a very nice interface. I found the game to be clever, interesting, and very intelligently done. It doesn't have the traditional Diary or Journal. Instead you click on your Communicator and from there, you can access 3 things. Your conversations with your nephew (who is assisting you), what your next Objective is, and a Map. The Map was great, but it's not Interactive. The game drew me in and I had to keep playing just to see what happened next. I don't like HOS, but here there weren't that many of them, and they weren't bad at all. There are always 15 items and some items require an extra step (like opening a drawer), but for some reason I didn't have trouble with them. I completed most of them in 2.5 to 3 minutes by random-clicking. There is a random-click penalty, but it's lenient, so you can get around it. Also, the Hint Meter recharges really fast, I think in under 30 seconds and there is also a fast recharging Skip Meter for the mini-games. The games were also very well done and were different than the usual fare. There is also a Walkthrough available. So the game has a lot going for it.

The few minor bad points were that the Hints were pretty useless outside the HOS and even used up the meter when it just told you to go to another scene. There were no voiceovers, and the text was very small in the inventory and in the conversations with your nephew. But I liked everything else about the game.

It took me 6 hours to complete the game and I only skipped a couple of puzzles.

Great first effort from Sunward and I look forward to their next offering.

Two Thumbs Up . I rate this game a 9 out of 10.

Edited on 12/27/2011 at 9:08:28 PM PST

Hoochnme
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Hoochnme on Dec 28, 11 4:03 AM
Hi bf
Have just finished the game and may i say it was brill the story was gripping and it moved along nicely. Well done Sunward look forward to your next game.

I loved to pictures and scenes, the mini games took some working out but not too hard. The HOS were great and even then you had to use your brain cells to find all the objects and the interactive objects. The communicator your nephew gives is very helpful as well as having a map (not Interactive) and a task list it keeps the story line at your fingertips.
The game requires you to find five rings to complete the game. The hint button gave just that 'hints' i had to back track in order to find what i missed so i could move on but this just add to the enjoyment..
There is a walkthrough but try NOT to use it as this just spoils the fun of the game, if you take your time, go back over the communication with your nephew and keep an eye on the task list it will all become clear.

What a great buy.

[Post New]by Perkipoo on Dec 29, 11 6:57 PM
All the reviews for this game that I can see are positive ones. If I could have played the game through to the end, I would give it a thumb-up, too. Unfortunately, in the last section (the diamond ring search), it hang...and hang...and after the first couple of times I had to restart my Windows 7 PC to get out, I reduced the window size so that when it hang the other six times, I could just close the window from the Dashboard.

I am very disappointed! I like the graphics and the game, but the hints ARE lame, and I finally had to uninstall the stupid thing. I'll either have to play it over again (not knowing if I will be able to get any further with it than I did the first time), or I will just have to ask for my money back.

I'm hoping a software fix is in the works before I get that far.

Tex_Murphy
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Tex_Murphy on Dec 31, 11 2:46 PM
Good game, Good game!! Good story, Good puzzles,Good everything!! Good enough for 'five o ut of five'!!

[Post New]by 42karrat on Jan 2, 12 1:27 AM
I really like the concept of this game, but the technical problems and the having to change my screen resolution and the lack of ability to skip or resolve those issues more easily and with a better quality quickly led me to delete this demo. This is why I always try a game before playing...and I hate not being able to play a full hour during the demo. Even with ALL the problems I had I quickly completed the limited demo before the hour was up. Definitely will NOT be buying this game. makes me sad because I really wanted to like this game. makes me angry because I wasted my time on something I thought would be enjoyable and just made me mad.

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Jan 4, 12 7:17 AM
Graphics are my big thing and although these were OK they were not great.
It IS different to most games and it took me a while to get into it but once I did it ran smoothly.
The storyline and music are good.
The HINT button is useless because I only ask for a hint when I'm well and truly stuck and all it did was point out the obvious.
Over all I would say that the game is worth the money.

Thank you.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 4, 12 10:12 AM
42karrat wrote:I really like the concept of this game, but the technical problems and the having to change my screen resolution and the lack of ability to skip or resolve those issues more easily and with a better quality quickly led me to delete this demo. This is why I always try a game before playing...and I hate not being able to play a full hour during the demo. Even with ALL the problems I had I quickly completed the limited demo before the hour was up. Definitely will NOT be buying this game. makes me sad because I really wanted to like this game. makes me angry because I wasted my time on something I thought would be enjoyable and just made me mad.

Where does it say your entitled to a full hour of demo?

After playing the demo, which I am thankful for, I decided to buy it. I enjoyed it alot. Other reviewers pretty much summed it all up. Big Fish offers good benefits to us players. AFter buying a number of games your given credits for a free game, that adds up. I get four games this month, thats awesome. Thankyou for this game, it makes me happy.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jan 5, 12 12:45 AM
This is a great game... especially for a first attempt.

Everyone else has covered the main things so I'll mention a few things that were irritating... first they copped out on some of the graphics... using multiples of the same thing to save I guess. But on the plus side the graphics were crisp and the H0 scenes all fit the scene... no junkpiles here!

The biggest annoyance (almost enough to make me want to boycott the game even ) is that they chose to use a Pitbull for the bad guys dog... c'mon... they get enough of a bad rap because idiots DO mistreat this breed. Couldn't they have used a Doberman or something instead of just perpetuating the stereotype of Pitbull as "bad" dogs??? I must say it was nice they made a point to say we were "sedating" and not hurting the dog though.

Another thing (and this goes back to the cutting corners on graphcs)... ummmm... yeah sorry guys but dogs who have cropped ears do not suddenly grow them back when they are sedated... it just doesn't happen!!! Clearly someone wasn't paying attention when choosing which stock dog pick to stick in the scene.

Hopefully this dev will make more games... and put a little more effort into the graphcs. But otherwise... GREAT STORY!!! 4 out of 5 stars.

time4t
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by time4t on Jan 7, 12 6:10 AM
The game is not bad for a new company, but there are times when I am in a hidden puzzle, the item is off my screen. Evidently this game was created for a larger monitor than 17 inch.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jan 8, 12 11:26 AM
really loved this game from the beginning
great flow
decent graphics
fun puzzles
interesting story
short game, and always to the point...no fiddling about!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jan 9, 12 8:27 AM
First game I've tried that wouldn't fit on my screen meaning too big for my wide screen monitor. This was a problem in the hidden object scenes because some of the items were off screen. I usually have my resolution at 1280x720 and had to go to 1920x1080 to play the game. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to buy this one.

[Post New]by DucatiChick on Jan 10, 12 10:59 AM
I absolutely loved this game...are there any more comparable in style and storyline !!??? Thanks everyone

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Jan 16, 12 3:01 PM
Very enjoyable game; not hard but also not insulting to one's intelligence. This game has great graphics, music and a straight mystery-with-human-interest story-line. I initially had problems in the kitchen but once I was kindly instructed that the problem was screen resolution and after that, had no problems at all.

I get exceedingly weary of horror/ghost/"scary" games so it was nice to find one that moved, was engrossing but didn't bog down. I could have wished it was longer as I understand this is a new company, I'm wiling to forgive that in favor of the lovely graphics and game development.

I look forward to more from this company. PLEASE, less horror!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jan 18, 12 5:02 PM
This was a wonderfully done game. Interesting story without it being yet another horror/human torture/rescue children plot (I'm SO TIRED of those!!). The graphics were good and the puzzles were not super difficult yet fun. I've never heard of this developer but I certainly hope we see many more games from them in the future. It ran flawlessly on my PC and seemed very well thought through. Nice job!

(Devs - only one minor suggestion... in the text dialog you don't need to say, "In order to..." just start with "To" (e.g., "In order to open the chest you need the key" can just be said as, "To open the chest you need the key". It's fewer words so we can read more quickly.)

VanRonk
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by VanRonk on Jan 24, 12 5:49 AM
I'm hard to please.......but I loved it!

Fantastic graphics, decent storyline and great puzzles. Buy! Buy! Buy!

Go to: