Joanken
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re:Reviews for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Joanken on Jan 2, 12 4:08 PM
Loved this game! Hated when it was over. Kudos to the developers.

Edited on 01/02/2012 at 4:09:37 PM PST

[Post New]by Columbia999 on Jan 2, 12 4:19 PM
As soon as I saw the opening scene to this one after starting the trial, I remembered playing the beta version. I hated it then, and my opinion hasn't changed. Can't even quite put my finger on what it is, but it just feels like the developers didn't really try to make it interesting.
Not for me, bring on the gruesome hospitals and twisted sisters in asylums!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 2, 12 5:35 PM
I don't usually have the attention span to finish a game on the same day I buy it but this one held up well. I'll probably dream about locks and keys tonight though.

I saved the wallpaper of the farm and stream, it's gorgeous.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 2, 12 9:39 PM
Sheerija wrote:This is my dream-game. This is what I always hope for - that someone out there in the world of developers will go all out to create a game that incorporates everything possible, on a grand scale. Now Amaranth has done just that.

I won't give a list because it has all been said already. I simply endorse everthing positive the fishies have said about it and disagree with all the negatives.

It played without a hitch or glitch, smooth as silk. The scope of this game is unbelievable.

It's not just a CE, it's a Super Deluxe CE.

It took me 8 hrs to complete and I am still sad that it's over. It's positively awesome.

If there was an award for this type of thing, no other game would stand a chance.

I hope and pray that Amaranth have more in the pipeline. I will be first in line.

Absolutely splendid!!!

You said it all for me ... I agree 100%. Great game ~ what more can be said!!!!? YAY!!!

stavvi
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by stavvi on Jan 3, 12 1:23 AM
I recommend this game highly - there are lots of different things to do, it is quite challenging, and it doesn't take up a lot of disk space!

dmcof
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by dmcof on Jan 3, 12 1:58 AM
Really enjoyed this game, what a great start to the year. One of the beat games I personally played in awhile. Thanks.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 3, 12 2:17 AM
I will add my voice to the others that loved this game! Perhaps the best I have played in a long time, it drew me in from the demo and kept me enchanted until the end. Beautiful graphics, excellent mix of standard and fragmented hidden object searches, gorgeous locations to explore and the unique way of getting to the bonus chapter made this game a joy to play.

It didn't display in widescreen but after a while I didn't even notice. Hopefully, as the ending suggested, there will be a sequel. I can't wait

Liz_Lemon
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by Liz_Lemon on Jan 3, 12 6:39 AM
I bought this game, after an hour of preview, because I read all your fantastic ravings about it -- and I wasted a ton of time figuring out that the hidden objects where only visible when the object window was open.
I regret it.
I'm in the house and I have the gem, now what? I have no idea and the strategy guide is of no help.
I kept thinking it must get better, everyone loves it. BAH, humbug.
I guess I should have gone with my own instincts that this game was going to be a waste.

orchidna
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by orchidna on Jan 3, 12 7:55 AM
You need to put the gem in the slot at the top of the empty picture frame (beside the grandfather clock). The room will then light up and you can continue.

We're sorry you don't like the game so far, and hope you enjoy it once you really get going in it.

Edited on 01/03/2012 at 7:57:26 AM PST

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Jan 3, 12 9:44 AM
Hope every fishie is having a great new year.

I played the demo and liked the game . Nice scenery, music, So far no morphings, had to quit playing MCF Escape half way through because of the terrible boring morphings.

So this one will definitey be a buy for me.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 3, 12 12:27 PM
Liz_Lemon wrote:I bought this game, after an hour of preview, because I read all your fantastic ravings about it -- and I wasted a ton of time figuring out that the hidden objects where only visible when the object window was open.
I regret it.
I'm in the house and I have the gem, now what? I have no idea and the strategy guide is of no help.
I kept thinking it must get better, everyone loves it. BAH, humbug.
I guess I should have gone with my own instincts that this game was going to be a waste.

Be good to yourself .... games like this have a slight learning curve for anyone not used to this style of adventure gaming. Once you get into it, you'll love it and won't want to stop. In the meantime, here are some hints:

1) Items picked up are not always used at the same location or time frame. Hang on to them and you will notice later a use for them. Drag the inventory items to hotspots and see if they work.

2) Try different things from your inventory on hotspots... something obvious or unusual may work.

3) When you need a hint for a frag item, open the 'circle' with the object and THEN hit the hint button. The game won't show you the location for a piece unless the item is shown within the circle on your monitor.

4) Feel free to keep asking questions for help. Before you know it, a walkthrough will be set up online... and for now and always, there are lots of us who will help you out.

5) Take your time and enjoy the beautiful graphics.... by the end you'll wish it was even longer (and it IS a LONG game, well worth the CE price).

Good luck.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 3, 12 12:39 PM
snapnhiss wrote:I don't usually have the attention span to finish a game on the same day I buy it but this one held up well. I'll probably dream about locks and keys tonight though.

I saved the wallpaper of the farm and stream, it's gorgeous.

You made me lol "... don't usually have the attention span....I'll probably dream about locks and keys tonight".

I couldn't stop playing, either, and was glued to the computer even though it was the long holiday weekend!.... I would say this game is highly addictive.

Love your idea about desktop wallpaper... the farm WAS beautiful!

ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by ShazPG on Jan 3, 12 1:16 PM
Liz_Lemon wrote:the strategy guide is of no help.

Can you elaborate on this? The strategy guide is VERY detailed, giving step by step instructions, lots of pictures, AND the locations of every coin and hidden object in the scene. When you first go to the guide, you see a list of chapters. You click on the chapter you're in, then use the arrows in the lower left to go from page to page. Clicking on text in red will show coins and hidden objects. Clicking on images will enlarge them.

If you can explain why it was "of no help", we can take steps to improve it

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 3, 12 1:32 PM
I just finished the game, and WOW... what a WONDERFUL, ENCHANTING, and ENTERTAINING game this was. Not only was this game a good length, but it never got dull. I was not once bored, and I get bored quickly.

From all the CEs I ever bought, this is the number 1 of CEs. What a joy, and so beautiful. I really can't express how I feel about this game. It's just fantastic.

And what's just as wonderful is the fact that we are going to see a sequel...

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by iamlindy on Jan 3, 12 3:04 PM
I can't say enough good things about this game. I wasn't sure what to expect from the title but once I started I knew it was going to be GREAT! The hour of free play (which I love BF, thanks so much) went by way too quickly. Lots to do, finding the gold coins, twist on the hidden things, finding pieces of the whole, earning the map pieces, puzzles--lots and lots of them. Some were really quite easy but others were a little more challenging. Thank goodness for the Strategy Guide, I have played lots of games but this one has new twists that took some getting used to. I am putting it on my wish list for sure. The hint system is great too but when I buy it I hope not to have to use it too often, I'll have more time to wander and use my gray cells Certainly worth the CE price for this one.

[Post New]by tomwilcha on Jan 3, 12 3:41 PM
I found that to get the bits of the lever go back to the front yard and then back and click the hint and it shows the piece.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Jan 3, 12 4:00 PM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you haven't played this game yet, or if you'd just like to chat with other players about this game with other players, please swim on over to the 'Comments' thread.

If you're looking for help with gameplay, the best thing to do is to start a new thread by clicking on the 'Create New Discussion' button on the main page of this Game Forum.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Jan 3, 12 11:24 PM
I ditto those who said this was a gorgeous game, and all the things going on...looking for coins, finding fractured objects, looing for what you're looking for ...was terrific. I love games with a lot going on. I'm still on the fence as to if I'll buy this or not, last year I think I bought everydamngame and need to watch my $ a bit. This is a different game, and kudos to you for making something new-ish that makes people think.

That said...a few things I didn't like: 1} the constant pop-up info tags that told you exactly what you'd need to do, even if you were playing on "hard" and really wanted to figure this stuff out for yourself. Clicking on the mantle in the beginning and being told "Oh, look, ghostly things, something must be up with that!" or somesuch kind of took the spirit of adventure out of clicking around looking. 2} I love the features, truly. BUT the thing telling you how many coins you need is hanging down at the top blocking a bit of screen, and that huge black monstrosity at the bottom that shows the items, inventory, etc takes up SO much room. When you take all this in, the actual playing area is really small. Does the bottom menu thingie really need to be that big?

And yes, some areas were way too dark, items impossible to find. Even lightened up with the slider provided.

I'm sure I'll buy it soon, I'm thinking about where I left off in the demo and that's always a good sign

Hapoy New Year to all !

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jan 4, 12 5:20 AM
a most interesting game
great graphics
adjustable bright and dark!!!hurray!!!
collection bonus built in to game in beginning...intriguing
might have to go the full monty
if i read directions i would probably own it right now...
best to read them as game has many parts and can be confusing
!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 4, 12 7:52 AM
snapnhiss wrote:I saved the wallpaper of the farm and stream, it's gorgeous.

Not only is the wallpaper gorgeous, but for a change the developer's name isn't written all over the wallpaper, as I usually see when you get wallpaper with CEs. That's the main reason I don't even think of using the wallpaper.

Go to: