iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Reviews for White Haven Mysteries Collector's Edition

[Post New]by iamlindy on Jan 8, 12 8:50 PM
Sorry to say but this game is not going on my wish list! It started out ok and I thought it might be a good one. That lasted for about 5 minutes until I got inside the hospital. I didn't care for the scenes of the inside of the building (maybe it gets better). They were pretty sparse and not very interesting. I like hidden object games which is why I started the demo of this game, but when I got to the telephone scene I really didn't want to do it. Too small, too hard on my poor old eyes. I quit and am happy to go back and play some of the other games that are much better in my humble opinion. I still have time on the demo so maybe tomorrow when I am fresher I'll take another stab at it and see. But right now I don't think it's going to get better.

jkshosa
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jkshosa on Jan 8, 12 9:17 PM
Have to say only got through 30 minutes of the trial and had to quit. Did not like the game at all. Suppose to play in the dark with the sound on and I did just that. Well not impressed what so ever. It is just another HOG in a what looks like a mental hospital. The hidden objects were just messy and piled up. The voice over nothing special and the little girl looked like a grown up in a little body. Not a buy for me maybe if on sale for the 2.99 special I might give it another try.

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 9:19:32 PM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 9, 12 12:30 AM
There are basic HOG games, and then iHOG/adventure games. Hundreds of straight HOGs to choose from, but we pay extra for these CEs as they are/should be more than a pile of junk to search for.
I don't think any fishie meant that they don't want HOG scenes...just well thought out meaningful scenes that are to do with the game play.
CEs (and some non CEs) have interesting and interactive HOG.
The complaint with this game is that the trial was promising, and two very clever HOG ie the telephone and chair. But that was it...
If I see one more 'hourglass' I think I'll go nuts!
I choose to buy iHOG/adventure games to get away from piles of junk.
This game was quite short too. Finished whole game and bonus in less than 4 hrs.

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Jan 9, 12 3:44 AM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 2:06:34 AM PST

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Jan 9, 12 5:45 AM
I liked this game very much.
OK, it's about a mental asylum. Ok, it's a HOG. But it's a straight, honest game, just long enough, not too difficult, not too easy and I was hooked from the beginning.
Not the best game I ever played, but definitely one of the better ones lately.

Lime_Cordial
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Lime_Cordial on Jan 9, 12 11:15 AM
Just finished the game. As a hidden object addict I have to give this a low rating. The graphics were OK and gameplay was OK. Nothing stellar. Also, I was left with a puzzle iece after the end of the Bonus Chapter. The Bonus Chapter only took me about 15 minutes.

Not the best use of my gaming dollars this month

tillybaby wrote:Well I have bought it but wish I hadn't because there are just too many hidden object scenes and nothing at all new,

Although I agree with everything that has already been said about the graphics being clear etc. but there is much more to a game than clear graphics, in future I don't think I will be quite so hasty.

Edited on 01/09/2012 at 11:16:21 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 9, 12 12:02 PM
Interesting reviews, and thanks for the info. that once you're into the game there are a lot of HOS's, which are not my favorite. I betaed this some time back for BF, and except for some glitchy playing rather liked it. In fact, the beta was longer than the trial I did today. I think I'll check out the SE when it's released and make my decision then. I wouldn't buy the CE -- in general it's not that hard to figure out what to do. I rather liked the music and the voiceovers weren't bad at all.

[Post New]by cinefilegirl on Jan 9, 12 12:21 PM
Well, I must say...I didn't notice the game's statement to play with the lights off & sound on. In fact, I tried to turn down the music, sound effects, & voices...it wouldn't let me turn down the music or voices. And apparently for good reason, because I also thought the music & voices were very well done! Some of the best I've heard in a long time. Usually, I turn down/off or skip any voices/speaking as well as most music. I am a HUGE fan of the creepy/ghostly/asylum/haunted house games, so I wasn't turned off by the game's theme. The phone HOS at the beginning was quite a nice surprise! It was a welcome change to the same ol' thing. I did notice there were quite a few HOS, although I don't mind them. They weren't too easy or too hard. Besides, I like a challenge. Although, from what I'm reading, it sounds as though there might be a few too many HOS. I, myself, am more of an adventure gamer than HOS fan but the fact that there are great voice-overs, a new style of HOS, & great soundtrack, instantly made me WANT to purchase this game. I haven't bought it yet but still may wait until SE. I usually do. A game has to have a 10 out of 10 score for me to buy CE. I rated this one a 9 out of 10!

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 9, 12 2:24 PM
The title tells you what it is, its a hidden object game in an abandoned building. You pretty much know what the game is going to be about. If I am tired of hidden object games and old buildings then I won't try it, no complaints. However, those who like these kinds of games could really like it. The music in this is awesome, goes right along with the theme, usualy I turn it down but it really adds to this game. It is on the spooky side, suppose to be and it is. For the most part I'm not drawn into the story line, but this has my attention. the demo ended before I knew it. I think this game captures the title, it is what it is. The items you need, when you click on them, yes the box comes up telling you what you found, you can click anywhere as you move on and it goes away, its not annoying. In my opinion this is a well thought out game, scenes are excellent. Graphics are very well done. Voice overs are great! Hidden object scenes are are just that. yes there are several, thats why its called a hidden object game. I highly recommend this game to those who like spooky hidden object games. If I dont buy it as a CE it's only because of finances, but I am definitly going to buy it. I rate it ***** 5 stars for me.

patcam52
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by patcam52 on Jan 9, 12 4:23 PM
I feel I really wasted my $13.99 on this game, even the trial didn't let you know about some of the problems. The strategy guide does not work, goes back to the same page over and over so I have to find where I was at. Every few steps there was HOS, I felt like screaming after awhile, it was boring and tedious. And it was NOT scary. It feels like a "could have been" game, one that could have been good but got thrown together. Took it off my computer.

Edited on 01/09/2012 at 4:24:00 PM PST

patcam52
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by patcam52 on Jan 9, 12 4:24 PM
I feel I really wasted my $13.99 on this game, even the trial didn't let you know about some of the problems. The strategy guide does not work, goes back to the same page over and over so I have to find where I was at. Every few steps there was HOS, I felt like screaming after awhile, it was boring and tedious. And it was NOT scary. It feels like a "could have been" game, one that could have been good but got thrown together. Took it off my computer.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Jan 9, 12 6:17 PM
Wasted my money...game was lame. Felt tricked by the trial...all the good stuff happened then...the rest was just HOS after HOS!

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jan 9, 12 7:02 PM
I give 2 stars - the scenes where to dark & the story line has been used to many times on better games

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 9, 12 8:36 PM
In this melting pot of mixed reviews - I'm tossing my veggies into the "must have" side! I love, love the artwork & though I don't usally care one way or the other about voice overs (unless they are truly bad) these are (so far - demo only) veeery good!

Thumbs up on the "creep factor" as well - I felt like I was back at HH Green Sanitarium - seems like that one was the "first drop" in our current sea of creepy games (well, nearly Redrum dove in earlier - but it didn't seem to catch on until HH) & it was a heck of a drop!! As with all art - this is subjective - but it sure flips my switch! Also I still love H0 scenes - so bunches of those are a plus for me! If this thing only had acheivements I'd give it 6 out of 5 stars Happy Gaming!!!

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jan 9, 12 9:43 PM
There are so many games that are so much better and after 15 minutes I'm bored, so not going to get it.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jan 10, 12 3:21 PM
I played about half the demo. Boring. Not scary at all (not sure where the scary bits are that some people talk about. I experienced none.) Nothing at all new or different.

I'll try it again when it's a SE. I rarely buy CEs anyway and this one, no way.

Gayle312
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Gayle312 on Jan 10, 12 6:32 PM
HOS were overkill but other than that a pretty good game.

Laylasmum
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Laylasmum on Jan 10, 12 7:08 PM
Slightly different from the one I beta tested so I kept getting deja vu feeling esp. with the wardrobe on the stairs.

Laylasmum
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Laylasmum on Jan 10, 12 7:10 PM
Slightly different from the one I beta tested so I kept getting deja vu feeling esp. with the wardrobe on the stairs.

[Post New]by KaraWinters on Jan 11, 12 2:39 PM
Unfortunately White Haven Mysteries is under the category of "Things I Should Not Get The CE For". I played the demo, thought it was amazing with it's sudden cut in scenes, hallucinations and sudden voice dialogue. Even though I personally found things that come from GOGII (that is the gaming developer) tends to be flat story wise but decided to get the game.
I felt... like someone did a bait and switch on me. By the second half of the game you were left on your own. No sudden interjection of voices, no hallucination scenes like the snow kitchen (for those who play HOS a lot you probably had gotten that far on the demo), and no real good follow up on the story (which I find is very typical of GOGII). Frankly it felt like they worked their butts off to get me to buy the game and then decided since I brought the game they didn't need to follow through. They lost so many chances on making this a great game.
The idea of a sudden hallucination was a wonderful idea, and it sounded like she was remembering things, they could have played up on that, and in fact story wise a good horror genre is when the character is slowly realizing the horrible truth and by the time they see it, it's too late. There is no built up at that, and the journals alone is not enough to convey that feeling because from the dialogue, the character really doesn't what's going on (won't spoil it for you). In short, it the twist instead of becoming this wonderfully horrific moment becomes a cop out, and for a game genre that is already saturated with stories taking place in mental hospitals that doesn't bode so well.
What perhaps is the final nail on the coffin is this the game is full of software bugs, these are not bugs related to the clashing of the hardware and software, which BF is fully capable of helping us with, but it is a clash of the software by the game creator. The forum is full of stories of people being not able to find a final item because it is not there, or not allowed to continue even though they completed the task.
I myself had a fountain glitch that made it so it seemed like I never picked up the vial and so I could keep picking it up and it filled up my whole box. It turns out the game thought I had all the vials and so I finished without finishing all the puzzles and hadn't realized it, at least I'm assuming that's what happened. Quite frankly with games like the Mystery Case Files, Dark Parables, and Awakening there isn't a good future for this series.

Edited on 01/11/2012 at 2:40:10 PM PST

Go to: