skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

****************************************************** *********************************************

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jan 30, 12 3:37 AM
I really enjoyed the demo; however, I have bought the last few Midnight Mystery games and have found that I get bored a few hours in. The talking ghosts are not "skippable" and after a while I find that they get annoying. The graphics are fantastic however, and the developers clearly spent a great deal of effort. So sort

(asterisks cleaned up by Moderator )

Edited on 02/01/2012 at 2:40:41 PM PST

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

****************************************************** *********************************************

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jan 30, 12 7:24 AM
It is great! But per a discussion in another link, it would have been nice to know this followed other games that were a part of the series

(asterisks cleaned up by Moderator )

Edited on 02/01/2012 at 2:39:27 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 30, 12 12:39 PM
mcbay111 wrote:
Valdy wrote:Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

The SG (strategy guide) stays open where you left it.

There are only 2 choices for the custom cursor: large and moving, and small and still. No choice for system cursor.

There is no voice-over.

Hi everyone. I was wondering Valdy or anyone else who can answer my question What is a voice over. I see you all reviewers use the term voice over often and I am very curious as to what you mean? Thank you so much .

I sent you a PM.

Skrdykat
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Skrdykat on Jan 30, 12 1:17 PM
WOW!!!!! I absolutely adore this series of games, but this might be my favorite!!!! And finally an SE which is all I buy now, don't need all the xtras of CEs, plus can't afford.

This game is AWESOME, kudos developers, and BFG, thank you and PLEASE more great SEs like this!!! I rarely do this but I'm about to play the game again on an easier mode so I can collect all the achievements. Love, love, love !!! And looking for everywhere now!

[Post New]by thequeenbag on Jan 30, 12 4:29 PM
I'm a long time and frequent BF gamer and have never been motivated to submit a review. I must, however, post that Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe was tremendously entertaining. So many reviewers get hung up on the technical details. OK, no voiceover. Big deal. The graphics were excellent, the storyline fascinating and the **** gameplay engrossing. I rarely play a game twice, but I'm keeping this one for another go-round. It was just too much fun.

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Jan 31, 12 12:05 PM
(wow, not sure what is up with all of the post turning to *** when we comment, but I hope it's fixed soon)

I purchased the game and as mentioned before really loved the trial. I wasn't disappointed at all.

Graphics were great, automatically opened in wide screen on the laptop.

**VOICE OVERS**: There were none but this is one game that I believe it was a good thing. The mystery of who played a part in Houdini's murder, I feel VO would have either given away or been misleading since (I personally) would have been taking in the character's tone of voice. Let's face it, we were all trying to figure out a head of time who his true friends were and who wanted him dead!

There was no need for a map. When you're finished in one area, you are transported to the next area that you need to be. In each area, there are only a few rooms so there is no need for maps there. There is a bog with stepping stones (puzzle) that you only have to get through once, then you just step back and forth. The game even tells you when you are finished in a certain area and then seals it off.

Nice HOGs, there were items in full view, some hidden, and some **** to find. Each name on the list was a different color depending on which of the above was required to find it (blue/green/black)

HINTS: In each scene you could collect hints by finding a Raven and clicking on it. The hints seemed to me to be a little "too" helpful. Once you clicked on it, it told you what to do, and then led you to the area by way of arrows and I didn't see where you had a choice except to follow the arrows and perform the action. It wasn't always my case that the particular hint need to be performed in order to complete what I was currently doing... no big deal though.

STRATEGY GUIDE: There is one and it is very useful. Kudos for including it in something other than a CE game! (I didn't use the skip button in this game, but have read that it takes a long time to refill. I only referred to the SG about 3 times and maybe that was why I didn't have to use the skip feature).

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Jan 31, 12 1:41 PM
Skrdykat wrote: WOW!!!!! I absolutely adore this series of games, but this might be my favorite!!!! And finally an SE which is all I buy now, don't need all the xtras of CEs, plus can't afford.

This game is AWESOME, kudos developers, and BFG, thank you and PLEASE more great SEs like this!!! I rarely do this but I'm about to play the game again on an easier mode so I can collect all the achievements. Love, love, love !!! And looking for everywhere now!

I am glad you liked the game, but this is NOT a SE. This is a DE (Deluxe Edition), hence the integrated SG. BFG are intending to increase the price of DEs at some point, and they will not be released as SEs.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Feb 1, 12 12:20 AM
I knew I was going to buy this game as soon as I saw it. I demoed it just to make sure it worked on my computer, and bought it before the trial was over. I am a fan of this game series and I am intrigued by Houdini. I know that the Deluxe Edition games are only available at the SE price for a certain amount of time, but I felt as if I got more than my money's worth with this game, and even if it had cost a few dollars more than the SE price, I still think it would have been worth it.

The game was very long, every time I thought it was going to be over soon, it kept going. At one point I did get annoyed that the game wasn't over when I thought it was going to be, but that was because I had kept playing for too long, even though I needed a break, since I thought I was near the end. I exited soon after that and when I came back later, I was able to enjoy the game again. I am not sure what my total game play time was, but I would guess that it was at least 6-8 hours, if not more, and I spread this play out over 2 days. I am slower than other players here so it might not take everyone here as long as it took me. I also like to try and solve every puzzle without skipping, and I will work on a puzzle until I figure it out, and sometimes this will take a long time. I really loved the puzzles in this game, I thought they had a good level of challenge, and thought that some of them were different than the usual puzzles seen in other games. There were a few puzzles that I probably spent 15 minutes or more on which lengthened my total game play time. I do not remember the puzzles in the other Midnight Mysteries games being as fun or challenging as the ones in Haunted Houdini.

It was nice having the strategy guide included, but I didn't use it very much, especially since the hint system was very helpful. I really got sucked in to the Houdinis' story and they came alive for me in this game, more so than the characters in the other games in this series did. Although there are real historical figures in all of the games, they seemed more like fictional characters to me than the Houdinis did..There was lots of puzzles and adventure in this game, and the H0 scenes were really spread out, which is how I like them to be. If you like straight HOGs then you might not like this game, but if you like more puzzles and adventure than H0 scenes, mixed in with a gripping story, I recommend this game to you!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 1, 12 8:53 AM
Have loved most of the hidden mysteries - on a review site which shall not be named it said this game surpassed the mississippi one. I must be in a minority here. LOVED the mississippi one. The game is brilliantly executed, but I'm not fixated to the computer the way I am with other games. I simply don't find this too interesting. There is an awful lot of talk. And I find the puzzles not to difficult but the instructions certainly are. The attention to periodic detail is superb - no cell phones here. But I just find the whole thing slightly dull.

[Post New]by abigailwilson on Feb 1, 12 12:44 PM
I liked it but as in the professional reviews I agree that too easily the ghost goes away before you can ask more than 1 or 2 questions and it says there are problems with some puzzles like the stupid counting with ESP cards and crystal ball to get to Canada and it says especially with the bottle game at the carnival although I'm not there yet
And has anyone had the glitch I have, the BFG guide says on the train take the guillotine blade but it wont let me

[Post New]by sjsullivan on Feb 1, 12 4:00 PM
I have enjoyed many of the previous Midnight Mystery games but definitely NOT a fan of this one!!!!! Not up to the standards of previous games in any way.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 1, 12 5:03 PM
I loved this game...it was a Looooong one, but a lot to do. The games could be difficult, I did Skip quite a few. Some had odd clues to be found in other places which could be a challenge. Be sure to collect all the crows you can for hints, you will need them. This played like a CE with strategy guide, etc however, it was marked as a "Deluxe" whatever that means. Definately worth your money. Comes equiped with a history lesson on Houdini too. a 5 in my book.

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Feb 1, 12 7:21 PM
For the most part I have enjoyed this game. I'm not quite done because I am stuck but I am mostly finished.
The biggest problem I had with this game is the story. I was not at all interested in it. It made no sense to me at all.
Having the built in SG was nice. It's better than some that I have gotten with CE games. My only complaint was that it would give me the answer for some puzzles but not others. Even when the puzzles were not randomly generated ones.
I would only purchase this game if it was 6.99. If in the future the price is raised on Deluxe games I won't be purchasing unless there is a sale.

[Post New]by abigailwilson on Feb 1, 12 10:15 PM
I liked it but as in the professional reviews I agree that too easily the ghost goes away before you can ask more than 1 or 2 questions and it says there are problems with some puzzles like the stupid counting with ESP cards and crystal ball to get to Canada and it says especially with the bottle game at the carnival although I'm not there yet
And has anyone had the glitch I have, the BFG guide says on the train take the guillotine blade but it wont let me

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 2, 12 10:57 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I thought it was different and loved the fact that the real likenesses of Harry and Bess were used in pictures, etc. I think this would be a good game for a beginner or semi-beginner to this type of game, as the hints were easy to use (ie, hand turning green) and the mini-games were different and not all that difficult - at least most of the them. I had a very good time and enjoyed the story from beginning to end.

feenix

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 2, 12 3:58 PM
I liked thi game quite much, amazing, considering also the fact that it's a SE; I felt surprising involved in the story plot, and honestly I didn't know up to now, that Houdini was murdered, I knew he died while performing one of his dangeruous shows!
When did they found out that he was killed instead? Bad story!!
Anyhow, this deluxe version was up to **** level, very good!
5 for me! (I found more than 40 of these) unlocked the special magic)

allynann
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by allynann on Feb 2, 12 9:20 PM
This is a great game. graphics are great. no voice but game is well worth a buy

[Post New]by Game_Fearie666 on Feb 3, 12 8:24 AM
I have become a fan of the Midnight Mysteries Series. It's quite enjoyable to me and this one was no exception. The story is nice, the graphics are great, and I love the overall feel of it. Will definitely be buying this one.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

Re:Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe Spoiler Alert

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Feb 3, 12 1:00 PM
laraly wrote:I liked thi game quite much, amazing, considering also the fact that it's a SE; I felt surprising involved in the story plot, and honestly I didn't know up to now, that Houdini was murdered, I knew he died while performing one of his dangeruous shows!
When did they found out that he was killed instead? Bad story!!
Anyhow, this deluxe version was up to **** level, very good!
5 for me! (I found more than 40 of these) unlocked the special magic)

I also enjoyed the story in this game, but just so you know, the Midnight Mysteries games are not always historically accurate. It seems to me like they fictionalize the lives of real people a bit, and how Houdini died in the game seemed embellished to me based on what I have learned about his real life. Spoiler Alert

I think that it is commonly believed that he died from appendicitis and not from being poisoned like the game claims, so he might not have been murdered in real life after all.

Edited on 02/03/2012 at 1:03:24 PM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 3, 12 2:04 PM
Finished, but was so bored by the end, I didn't bother with the bonus content. Shame, cos I've loved all the other games in this series.

Go to: