Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Sheerija on Feb 13, 12 7:27 AM
I had reservations after the demo. Game seemed childish. But I changed my mind after the 2nd hour. Rather, it's more childlike. Once I got that, the game changed for me. I found it really enchanting, with good graphics and a lovely story. No animal cruelty, just the greed of a fat pig of a mayor. How I hated that man. Poor old couple. I couldn't see my screen properly for a full 5 mins because I couldn't stop the tears. Also, the cats were not evil at all, which I was relieved to discover. Sweet and innocent, just like real ones.

The HOS were a bit repetetive and the puzzles unremarkable, but I didn't mind. I really enjoyed the game very much and I look forward to more from these guys.

Well done.

Edited on 02/13/2012 at 7:29:03 AM PST

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Feb 13, 12 8:55 AM
Very fun game. Thank you that no cats were harmed in the process of making this game. But, I do not like feeding live animals to our animals even in make believe.
(ie. mouse to cat and butterfly to man-eating plant.)

tyyllls
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by tyyllls on Feb 13, 12 9:06 AM
I wasn't sure about the game at first in the demo- graphics somewhat fuzzy. But it got better, and I love cats so I bought it... I am loving this game!! It's not so difficult that I have to use hints or the SG all the time (which I seem to have to do in some games). Every time I turn around I'm unlocking a new scene and getting new objects that I have no idea where they'll be used- that keeps me going to find out!! Love looking for the extra cats hidden everywhere too. Traveling around is not hard- you can get to where you need to be in just a few clicks. It's a very addicting game to me. I had to make myself stop now to do some laundry, but wanted to comment on how much I'm enjoying this game! (and I don't comment often, tho I play games all the time.)

Edited on 02/13/2012 at 9:07:42 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 13, 12 11:15 AM

angelfishsb wrote:Very fun game. Thank you that no cats were harmed in the process of making this game. But, I do not like feeding live animals to our animals even in make believe.
(ie. mouse to cat and butterfly to man-eating plant.)

Yes, OK. There was that.....

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Feb 13, 12 2:26 PM
Well, as usual, I have scanned all the previous reviews and have still decided to buy this one and even as a CE. It is interesting, good graphics, a little different, long enough, SG stays with the story, and I always like to help those just starting out whenever I can, Off to buy and enjoy!

Edited on 02/13/2012 at 2:27:52 PM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Feb 14, 12 9:42 AM
This game was okay - just okay. The storyline was alright, but the gameplay,although it was fairly easy enough to follow, (like others had mentioned) there was a lot of coming and going all over the place from one end to the other. The graphics were fuzzy and darkish. The HOS were junkpiles (as others had noted) and some things were hard to make out because of the graphic quality. The mini games were fairly easy but took way too much time to finish if you wanted to, so thankfully there was a quick skip button that popped up. The music was fine . I liked the cat sounds myself - that was different. All in all, by the end of the demo hour I had a lot of objects in my inventory that I didn't get to use yet and a lot of objects that were still left to be found - keys, pieces to open doors, etc. I would rate this a 7 out of 10 .

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 14, 12 9:53 AM

I have just finished to play a CE (cinderstone orphanage) which is so and so,
, and I am not going to get another one which has the same perplexities as that one mentioned above!
Moreover in this one the graphics are really bad, for what I could see during the demo, which I have not finished to play, because I was not grabbed by the story, by the style and the graphics, the hid obj scenes are depressing, confusing and too blended. No guide through!

one, moreover in this one the graphics are really bad, for what I could see during the demo, which I have not finished to play, I am not grabbed by the story, the graphics and the depressing hid obj scenes, which are very confusing and blended.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Feb 14, 12 4:01 PM
I heard good things about this before it came out. It didn't live up to the hype. Graphics are muddy. No voice overs. Cursor problems. Definitely not buying the CE, and probably not the SE either. Maybe someday as a DD or COTW, if I am out of good games to play. Disappointing.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Feb 15, 12 2:38 AM
I am in two minds about this game. On the one hand, being an animal lover with two , I did enjoy the cat theme and adored the black cat hint button. He was so cute I wanted to lift him out of the screen at times and put him on my lap.

The jigsaw mini games were also a welcome change from the norm.

It's the remaining parts of this game I'm not sure about. I found the overall explorable game area to be somewhat small. Just a street with some shops, a few rooms in a house and a couple of outside areas. Not very difficult to remember where to go, and what to do, next.

The interactive parts of the game were far too easy and there was too much hand-holding going on; almost as if the developer was afraid of asking us to use our brains. The HOS were easy too (not necessarily a bad thing if you don't like a load of junkpiles with tiny objects), but some objects were so large that there was no challenge at all in finding them.

And, of course, no voiceovers. The bonus play was just more of the same, incredibly easy gameplay. I'm not sure why this deserved CE status.

I did enjoy it, and would have loved it if I'd played it when I first came back to playing the genre. After playing far more complex games lately, though, this just felt as if it wasn't testing me.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Feb 15, 12 7:39 PM
I'm on the fence with this one.

I played the demo, and did found the story different from the usual insane asylum/ haunted houses that we have been getting. It's somewhat interesting, but I have the feeling that it's just not long enough to be a CE. The graphics were a bit blurry, but I managed to fix that in the options menu, changing it to low resolution, and for some reason, they looked better with that option. The music was okay, what I heard was very repetitive, so I don't know if the whole soundtrack is like that.

I will have to think about this a bit more. If nothing else, I will wait for the SE.

Twikey
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Twikey on Feb 16, 12 11:01 AM
This is another great game, I can't complain about anything except the cats me-ow which gets on my nerves and my cats, I'm only joking, I think this is another great Canadian game I can always tell when they have many British Items (like postage stamps with the Queens Head on and Maple leaves all over the place) Recomend it!
Maybe it's not but thank you Canadians for doing a great job with all your past great games!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 16, 12 9:15 PM
So what happened to Menses little black kitten?! If you only need a hair or two, there's no reason to do away with it, right? Sorry, but I am a true cat lover, having five cats of my own, and just that one incident, put a pall on the whole game for me. The graphics were good, mini-games interesting enough and on the whole, a good game and enjoyable. Except for that little black kitten!! I'm going to go hug all my cats now!!

feenix

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 16, 12 9:22 PM
feenix2011 wrote:So what happened to Menses little black kitten?! If you only need a hair or two, there's no reason to do away with it, right? Sorry, but I am a true cat lover, having five cats of my own, and just that one incident, put a pall on the whole game for me. The graphics were good, mini-games interesting enough and on the whole, a good game and enjoyable. Except for that little black kitten!! I'm going to go hug all my cats now!!

feenix

You find out in the bonus game. I won't completely spoil it, but no black kittens were harmed in the making of this game. No worries.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Feb 18, 12 2:37 PM
i was sitting on the fence, with one of my cats, trying to decide if this game would be interesting enough to hold my attention long enough to want to play it out. not to worry! it started off with enough intrigue spoiler behind the crowd which i thought unusual, yet fun. puzzles were not overly hard, some time-consuming and somewhat tricky, but i was able to solve them. i played hard core, so hints were not an issue, but there were a couple of hos i had to really look at for longer to find the last couple needed. i found most of this logical and rarely got so lost i was unable to figure out what to do. however, i was glad to have the built in strategy guide a few times... graphics were good, story was interesting, collecting objects were fun. i liked this game and recommend it. up to you whether you go standard or not. i went ce on this.

GraciesDD
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by GraciesDD on Feb 18, 12 5:17 PM
cbtx wrote:based on the demo:

I have no clue what makes this game CE-worthy.
I see a lot of back and forth.
I see junkpile HOS.
There is no widescreen (automatically eliminates a CE buy for me).
There is no voice-over, almost a given in today's CEs.
The music was the same the time I played.
The mini games were nothing unique.
The strategy guide does not work (maybe in the full version, but they should show you something!)
And I got a bad feeling that cat lovers like me might have a problem with the content of this game.
So I will have to wait on other reviews and trust my fellow fishies if I'm to change my mind on this one. (and then only as an SE, game's not CE-worthy in any case)
No buy here - disappointing, I thought this might be a good one.

ed - spelling

Too bad you decided not to play the game you have missed a really good one!

I have a cat and if he had hands he would have played!

An Okay Game, But Nothing Special (Part 1)

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 19, 12 5:30 AM
This review is based on the complete game and Bonus chapter. The game was the usual fare and I enjoyed some parts of it, but there were many annoying aspects to the game.

First, the game was short. There are 5 chapters and a bonus. I didn't use the SG that much, but at one point I thought I was still on chapter 1, so I looked at the SG to see where I was. I was surprised to discover I was at the end of chapter 3. Many games have a title screen in the game for a new chapter or there's a cut scene and you go to a new location. Not so with this game. The chapters were just something they used to organize the SG. You can't tell it's a new chapter. Then, the bonus chapter ended very abruptly. I estimate I completed the game and bonus in 5-6 hours.

Next, the only thing I hate more than barking dogs is meowing cats. The cat meowed throughout this game and it drove me crazy.

I hated the HOS. There were 24 in the main game and 7 in the bonus, for a total of 31 HOS. I played in Casual mode, so there was no random-click penalty. If I got lucky, I could click away and get all the items. But most of the time, I needed some hints and the hint meter seemed to take forever to recharge. So even if I only couldn't find 2 items, waiting for the hint meter to recharge twice seemed to take an eternity. Usually, every new scene you entered had a HOS and then there was a lot of going back and forth and you had to play another HOS in the same location 2 or 3 times. You know the routine.

As others have mentioned you have to return 12 cat statues to the pedestal. Each time, you pick up a scroll and then have to solve different types of jigsaw puzzles. When you do, you get an item for your inventory. I hated the puzzles and I think I may have skipped all of them. One common puzzle showed you the completed picture and gave you only 4 jigsaw pieces to start. Each time you put one in the correct place, another piece would appear. If you clicked in the wrong place, the piece snapped back to the side. When I do jigsaw puzzles, I usually put the 4 corner pieces first and then the top/bottom/left/right border pieces, and then the middle pieces. You couldn't do that here because they usually started you with 4 middle pieces. I just couldn't get the hang of it and I found it tedious.

(continued in next message)

Edited on 02/19/2012 at 6:10:36 AM PST

An Okay Game, But Nothing Special (Part 2)

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 19, 12 5:37 AM
(continued from previous message)

SPOILER ALERT!

I also found parts of the game to be very unintuitive. Here's one example. You find something on the windowsill and it says, the writing is too small; I need something to magnify it. So I figure I need a magnifying glass. Then later you find a running sink and an empty bottle, so I fill the bottle with water. I never found the magnifying glass and at one point I got stuck with nothing else to do, so I looked at the SG. It turns out you have to put the bottle with water on the windowsill and the sun shines through it and magnifies the small print. It just wasn't something that occurred to me.

END OF SPOILER ALERT!

There were no voices and the music was uninspiring, but the game did have some redeeming values though and I did finish it; but it could have been so much better.

I give this game one thumb up and one thumb down.

I rate this game a 7 out of 10.

Edited on 02/19/2012 at 6:05:55 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 20, 12 5:49 AM
I'm so glad I bought this even after reading the less than flattering reviews for it. I like everything about it, even the 'cartoonish' characters. Many of the developers' art is looking exactly the same and I appreciated the different look to this. I also appreciated the logical gameplay... you enter a campsite, see something there that actually BELONGS there and use it in a different area for the purpose it was intended. No confusing items locked inside another confusing item that fits in with other confusing items that magically fit into some oddball "magic" contraption. I hate losing track of what gadget is supposed to go where, I could actually remember that I needed to use the broom in a certain room. It made sense to me. Call me a linear thinker but I like that in a game.

Well done devs, you did a great job on this.

Bexa
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

Liked the Cut Scenes!

[Post New]by Bexa on Feb 20, 12 7:16 AM
Sometimes people's comments about different styles of art within a game totally mystify me! I enjoy seeing different things within a game and the animaion of the cut scenes were just what I like!

The game was enjoyable; lots of options and it was pretty easy to see where to use the found objects...for the most part. Some were surprising. I found the puzzles easy, but that was fine. I REALLY wanted to see the end of the story!

Based on a story by HP Lovecraft, I recommend this game...try it.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

Liked the Cut Scenes!

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 20, 12 12:47 PM
Bexa wrote:Sometimes people's comments about different styles of art within a game totally mystify me! I enjoy seeing different things within a game and the animaion of the cut scenes were just what I like!

The game was enjoyable; lots of options and it was pretty easy to see where to use the found objects...for the most part. Some were surprising. I found the puzzles easy, but that was fine. I REALLY wanted to see the end of the story!

Based on a story by HP Lovecraft, I recommend this game...try it.

If I was going to write a review for this game, the above is what I would have written. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

*SPOILER BELOW* - Regarding the cats in the game and their fate... (highlight below to see)
For those that are convinced that any cats come to a horrible end in this game, rest assured that not a single one meets a dismal end.

Go to: