cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Re:Reviews for Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Feb 19, 12 11:45 PM
I am not a history person but I loved the story..have to agree with all that was said about the graphics and story line..

[Post New]by tammylovesred on Feb 20, 12 9:44 PM
SORRY BUT WAS VERY DISSAPOINTED with this game was fooled by demo the sparkles make you feel like a paint by number game i wish i had waited and bought another game .

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 21, 12 2:38 AM
QEIII wrote:
dramajunkie wrote:I got bored. The whole demo was going from HOS to HOS, nothing but. Pop-up boxes don't close when you're done. Graphics were very clear, voices good, HOS on the easy side, uncluttered. Puzzles all very easy. Maybe it gets exciting later on, but the slow pace drove me away without finishing the hour.

I agree completely with this. Way too many HOS. Got tedious very quickly. I also agree with Olliesgirl - I always play hard mode to avoid sparkles and handholding. And what do I see - sparkles everywhere.

Not for me, even if it was free. Sorry.

I agree with both. I also did not like having to find pieces of something I needed, but the pieces were in different rooms and in a series of HOS. It felt tedious and slow.

IMLadyRed
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by IMLadyRed on Feb 21, 12 3:10 PM
i dont recomend this game at all! have installed unistalled 5 times, even used a unistall program and still dont get any words in the task bar. this is another waste of my money to big fish.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 24, 12 9:02 AM
good clear graphics, good storyline, music is appropriate, a good length of game.
and it is NOT a c.e.!!!
highly reccomended

Too Many HOS For Me

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 25, 12 9:25 PM
This review is based on the entire game. Most things have already been said, so I'll just focus on a few points.

This game could have been much better, but there were way too many HOS for me. There are 38 HOS in the game. After I finished the game, I counted the HOS from the Walkthrough and was surprised there were only 38. I felt like there were 138. The problem, for me, was that the HOS are chained together. Sometimes you have to play 3-4 HOS in a row to get all the items. Then you play 3-4 mini-games in a row. Then back to the HOS. Also, I didn't like the HOS because it was tough to get around the random-click penalty. I'm not certain, but I think it counts your clicks and after every 6 missed clicks, you incure the penalty and it's an obnoxious penalty. I hate that.

Also, there was an Objectives Tab with the Inventory that I didn't like. Without giving anything away, the gameplay involves having to click on something and then it lists Objectives of items you have to find. You can't find the items, unless you click on the thing that needs the items first. So sometimes you click on something, it populates your Objectives list with the items you need, and then immediately sparkles appear for 2-3 HOS in the room you are in. You complete them, go to another location, click on a few more things, your Objectives list is filled with tons of items, you play a bunch of HOS, until you get all the items. There are very few items that you just pick up from the locations. The good thing is that when you complete a HOS, you usually get a bunch of items you need on the Objectives list. Then you take all these items, go back, put the items into the puzzles, solve the puzzles, and complete that area. You are then taken to another area, and you do the same formula over again. However, some of the puzzles were very good and the graphics were bright and the music and sound effects were nice.

I give this game one thumb up and one thumb down . I rate this game a 7 out of 10.

Edited on 02/25/2012 at 9:33:26 PM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Feb 29, 12 2:02 AM
I purchased this game when it first came out. Loved the demo and was impressed by the graphics and storyline.

I decided to play the game today and I still enjoyed it. The scenes are mostly in daylight which was a nice change and I do love hogs and ihogs. This game was right up my alley.

If you want to try a hog game in the daylight give this one a try.

Happy gaming

bajacalla
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by bajacalla on Mar 1, 12 2:35 PM
I quite enjoyed this! Loved that it wasn't another "escape the haunted house/sanitarium/witch" theme, but one from French history, and my favorite subjects: Diane de Poitiers and the Chateau de Chenonceau. I also enjoyed the puzzles, some of which were unique. I definitely recommend this game!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Mar 1, 12 6:22 PM
I absolutely loved this game! The history, the graphics and characters were amazing. It was like I was there and yes, the game did work better after the update.
It's on my high list of games.
Thanx, Elephant games!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Mar 2, 12 6:20 PM
I have to apologize for my post. I'm not so sure that this game is by Elephant Games because you see, I'm playing 4 games at once and of course I wish to comment on all of them.
So, sorry bout that and thanx BF!

1meemaw4u
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by 1meemaw4u on Mar 4, 12 10:44 AM
I thought I would love this game. I agree with all the good stuff written. I rarely have problems with games - but this one is one problem after another. Partial game freezes several times and right now I'm dealing with items not going into the inventory that should. Once again, I will probably have to reinstall and start over for the FIFTH time. Nope, I will probably dump it. What I thought was a really great game has been a frustrating waste of time.

kmills1944
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by kmills1944 on Mar 12, 12 8:19 AM
all i can say is A+ A+ A+ A+ is is great.everything was upscale and worked great. no problems with the workings at all. and sll the hos are great because after all thats what we play these for the hos. i wish i could tell which ones sre lilke this right off.i would buy them all immediately

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Mar 16, 12 9:33 AM
I played the demo version. Really good game.

-Graphics were great. For a SE, and an original one at that (no sequel, or a new installment in a series), this is extremely rare.

-The historical mystery aspect was interesting. Although the trial ended, you felt intrigued by the clues.

That said, there weren't many puzzles, (at least in the demo) and the few that were, weren't exactly difficult to do.

Only problem? The game had no widescreen option, so I'm undecided on whether to buy it ( hate when there's no option for widescreen, but I'm curious as to how the story progresses, plus it has a fabulous journal, and I really like that).

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Mar 17, 12 5:13 AM
Oh Man! This game is a total class act from start to finish.
A historical game well researched, based on fact......and one compelling mystery at the same time.
The game is gorgeous! Each scene is highly detailed with wonderful crisp graphics and historically acurate....or plausable. Almost every scene, I took time to just soak in the beauty.
Puzzles? Everything from sort of easy to omg hard.
Great animations......great music.

I hope this company puts out more and more of the same....and tries on some other genres as well!

ten paws up!

Stina_E
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Stina_E on Mar 17, 12 9:04 AM
RowanGolightly wrote:WONDERFUL game! As a history and costuming geek, I was delighted with this game. Beautifully designed, well researched historically, consistent in costume and decor; there were NO "bungie cords" for me (what professional Renaissance festival performers call it when an anachronism pops one out of the historical moment.)

I loved the voices, especially of Diane de Poitier; loved the appearances of the ghosts, loved the moments of "ack" and "ew" and "oh no" that were well timed and added to the dramatic action and the enjoyment. I wasn't bothered by a slow cursor problem. I'll admit that I skipped over some quizzes just to get to what was happening next. Most of the HOGs were almost too easy but the whole thing flowed nice. I'll go back another time and play it more slowly in difficult mode to enjoy it.

VERY well done! I am horribly picky when it comes to historical depictions so I was really pleased this lived up to my expectations. More please!

Rowan, I have to disagree on the costumes. The dress shop really made me grit my teeth. The mannequin looked like something from the late 19th century at the earliest, and appeared to be wearing a longline bra and petticoat from the age of Dior. No stays, no panniers, no bumroll. And I don't believe that color of light blue silk was available until the late 18th century. Then there was the fancy needle -- with an ornamented eye that wouldn't have slipped through fabric. All this made the anachronistic banana in the previous scene seem barely jarring. Taking so much care with the general history, the developers could have been a little more interested in the mantua maker's trade.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Apr 15, 12 4:31 AM
The story is based on an assassination attempt on the French King in the 16th century which gives some very pretty scenes to visit. The graphics are very clear & everything is well drawn, this is a bright & colourful game.

There are the usual hidden object scenes with word lists & others whereby you have to find a list of objects to collect to assemble something, a dress or parts for a machine & these can be found in different locations. If you are not sure of what an item looks like you can hover over the word with your mouse & get a silhouette. This is very much a hidden object game; there are a great many of them & if you like adventures with only a few H0 this will not be for. You will collect a lot of items in your inventory but most of them get used quite quickly.

There are some puzzles which are, for the most part, very easy; sliding tiles to make a picture, a lot that require hand/eye co-ordination such as stopping a light in a specific area of the screen, untangling lines, etc.

There are two modes of play, easy with a 45 second hint recharge, sparkles & glints on significant objects or difficult with 90 second hint & not a sign of a sparkle anywhere. You get a ledger that tracks the story as you go & gives you a pocket history of some of the characters you encounter & a task list to keep you on track.

You will not need a map as there is not a lot of going back & forth between locations. The music is not very noticeable & the voiceovers are average but a nice easy to play game; it took me around 3 hours to finish. One odd little thing was an evil jester who popped up from time to time; never figures out why he was there.

[Post New]by RozanneLamar on May 20, 12 4:32 PM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rozanne

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Jun 2, 12 12:13 PM
OK, here's my review of Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle:

Options: Offered were Music, Sound, Full Screen, & System Cursor. Modes were Easy or Difficult.

Graphics: The colors & lines were stunningly beautiful. When I'm not playing nighttime scenes, I like brilliant graphics. I especially loved the "in your face" cutscenes that jumped out at the player! Loved that!!

Voices/Sounds/Music: Voice-overs were few, sounds were ok, & music was ok.

Minis/HOGs: I liked the mini-games - some were a little different from the norm, but the HOGs were very basic & easy to get thru, sometimes in less than a minute.

Game Overall: I am NOT going to comment on the historical aspect of this game because I'm not an expert on period history, but I will say that I was surprised at the linear aspect in this one, very similar to adventure games. Like some other fishies, there were times when I thought if I had to do one more HOG in the chain, I was going to hurl, but then the madness would cease for a bit. I enjoyed this game cuz it seemed a little out of the ordinary, but the direction, or next step, didn't always appear to be as clear for me.

Recommendation: If you are a history buff, and absolute correctness bothers you, then this may not be the game to play according to some of the other fishes in the pond that didn't like the costumes and other aspects. If you can close one eye to that and look at the colors and enjoy the hunt 'n seek, I think you'll really like this one. Also, there are a couple scenes that could be VERY scary for little fishies.

Out of 5 stars, I give this one

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 25, 12 5:40 AM
It seems I may be in the minority with this review....I found the game quite confusing as far as knowing what to do and where to go next. If it hadn't been for a quickly refreshing hint, I would definately have been lost. There seemed to be several things going on at the same time; a task list, an objective list, an amulet collection and an inventory list all of which could get confusing trying to juggle them together.

There was no map I could find and the journal was totally useless except to give a brief history of characters. A lot of HOS and some of the items had odd names. For some reason, ghosts without need would come and go. I was never really sure who or what purpose the Joker served. One had to look very closely to find objects as they didn't always stand out and often did not work until much later. After awhile a small sparkle would appear to identify the part.

On the plus side, I enjoyed the history....I am a European historian and totally enjoyed that part. The graphics were beautiful, the puzzles/games were quite easy and entertaining and often multi-layered. However, the ending was quite abrupt, but not unwelcome as I was ready for the game to end. I must have demoed the game before as the beginning was really familiar to me. So, I give this game a 3- out of 5.

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 15, 13 11:16 PM
GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

Beautiful And Unique; A Charming Game

Story: When the ghost of the beautiful Diane de Poitiers appears in front of you, you are transported back in time and must uncover a conspiracy against the king’s mistress and protect her in order to return to the present. An historical love story set in 16th century La Rochelle, France.

Developer: Game Factory Interactive
Release Date: Feb 2012
Extras: Special Ability Elixirs

Although there is a fleshed out story, some adventure and a few puzzles, the focus of this game is the HOs. The gameplay is unique – each location consists of a few rooms, usually in a scrollable format. With each new task, you get a list of items needed to complete it (objectives), but for them to be found usually requires completion of at least three HOs and a puzzle, as well as found items lying about. It’s actually a great deal of fun.

The game has got the right stuff – truly beautiful graphics, interesting and original story, some neatly shocking surprises, ghosts with great voiceovers and animation, logical gameplay.

Would have easily made it to five stars even though I prefer more "A" in my HOPAs, except the developers completely failed the historical accuracy test. Sad to see, because they did a brilliant job of creating a romantically medieval atmosphere.

Edited on 02/22/2013 at 4:01:44 AM PST

Go to: