doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

Re:Reviews for Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid

[Post New]by doccat5 on Mar 13, 12 5:36 AM
Liked the game concept, but couldn't get it to work well. I made it as far as putting the paper scraps back together. Couldn't get it to rotate after the first piece was in place. No buy for me.

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Mar 18, 12 10:44 AM
I have to agree. This game was shaping up to be really good and then finished after just a couple of hours. No end to the game . So frustrating. I too am 66 and not in good health and will probably never see the 'end'. I wasted a complimentary game credit for this ( for another useless game).

machamc wrote:I don't comment often but just couldn't stay quiet. I read most of the reviews and agree that one must have a lot of patience to complete the game. I enjoyed not having a walkthru and having to figure out the puzzles myself and was quite pleased when I managed it. I thought it was a very good game once you got past the frustrations in the beginning BUT:

**SPOILER ALERT**

I was extremely disappointed in the ending. When you reach the lengthy scroll that tells you that you are going to have to repair the box and restart the heart of the magical world, as soon as you have read it and clicked on it, the game is over. I had managed to solve all the puzzles with just a bit of help from the guy detective and was excited about continuing on and all of a sudden, the credits began. I was left feeling very frustrated that I couldn't continue on. I bought the first in this series in April of 2009 and can't remember a thing about it; I dearly hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for the sequel, as I may not be around to play and probably won't even rember it as I just turned 71 a week ago and have no idea what the future holds.

Edited on 03/18/2012 at 10:51:30 AM PST

TheRealDragon
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by TheRealDragon on Mar 27, 12 4:20 PM
Again, I have to ask:
When will we get the REST of the game?
[Note to authors: Naming this "Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid--Part 1" would have at least been truth in advertising. You owe us an apology.]

This was NOT a full length game, (don't let anyone tell you otherwise)--the entire story line foreshadowed the part that never happened. It was extremely obvious that the game just plain was never finished.

Heck--there wasn't even that animation bit at the end that tells you what a hero you are, and how you've saved everybody and whatnot. (Or did I miss it?) Even a three part game allows you to accomplish SOMETHING heroic or meaningful to the virtual world before you buy the next part.

Nope, some middle management type bowed to pressure and said: "This is taking too bloody long. Slap credits on it and ship it--some idiot will buy it."

And whaddya know--I did.

--so when do we get the rest of the game we already paid for?

If never, can I please have at least half my money back?

That said--the game WAS cool enough that I really would rather have the full game than a refund. (If you haven't finished playing the demo--by all means, do so. It's worth it. Just don't buy it until it's finished.)

Feature Suggestion: It would be REALLY cool if BFG would include an "average play time" next to the ratings for each game! It would be really simple. Just like you click stars for ratings, you could select dots or little clocks for how many hours you played.
Then, just average them out just like the ratings!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 31, 12 1:54 PM
autumn_leaf wrote:Very seldom do I eat crow, the feathers tend to be annoying, but here it is....this game is actually a GEM. VERY hard to slog through at first, but then once you discover a certain item, and actually get to the first REAL HOG scene....you are bored to tears, then all of a sudden when you get to these magical and gorgeous scenes, does everything suddenly get better. Is this game for everyone? NO. YOU have to try it out yourself and hopefully get to those lovely little scenes before the game demo times out, it timed out just into the second HOG scene and now I am hooked and willling to buy this game when I can.
Trust me, just like Beauty and the Beast you gotta get beyond appearances and find the magic within, it's worth it. The music once you get to these lovely and definaltey different scenes is magical and whimsical. If you have a love of hidden treasures in your games, this is it....try, try, try it!

After a bunch of fish slogged farther than I did, i decided to try once more and was glad i did....thank you all determined sloggers!!! I love this game now, and can't wait to finish it!!

I agree!
I was going to shy away from this one. But as other players seemed to like it better once they gave it more time, I was drawn in. Plus, any comparison to a non-cookie cutter game (IMO the Tiny Bang Story) automatically gets me to try a game.
This demo literally flew by. Yes, I did get to those amazing HOG scenes. I really felt the Tiny Bang vibes then!
As to the comments about too short -- I agree with Valdy. If I'm having fun, game length is not a big deal for me. Still, I do appreciate the comments from all who felt it was too short -- that way I'll know to savor the playing time I do get.
Needless to say, I bought it. Lucky for me I waited til today with the Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale.
Now off to play......

leyahn
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by leyahn on May 13, 12 10:31 AM
TheRealDragon wrote:WAY TOO SHORT!!!

You finally get past the pyramid, and get ready to really get into the story, and WHAM! credits!

For me the whole game was less than two hours!!! (Yes, including the demo.)

I DID love the game, as far as it went, but heck, once you buy it, it ought to last longer than the demo did, right?

I wish I hadn't bought it, but only because of the length. I did love the brain work, and the graphics were amazing!!!

Frankly, I think the developer owes buyers the next game for free.

Ah, I was just about to type this, then I saw this post.

I am hugely disapointed in this game. Stunning graphics, brain teasing puzzles, hand holding only when you want it. I felt that I had just gotten started in the game then BAM over.

I played the demo through, then waited to purchase - after I purchased it picked up where I left off in the demo - wow - I got only another 30 minutes of game play out of it.

Boy, do I feel ripped off.

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on May 18, 12 8:48 PM

****REVIEW IS BASED UPON COMPLETION OF ENTIRE GAME****

Let's get right to the point: this is the SHORTEST game I've ever played - in my life.

What happened to the rest of the game?

From a game-playing standpoint, this game isn't for everyone. In fact, I started the demo because it had gotten so many bad reviews; I just couldn't believe an Adventure game could possibly be that bad.

This isn't your mother's Adventure game. It is different in every way. The searches aren't reasonable, because you can't see the images on the screen very well due to various circumstances.

You really have to be willing to look past a lot of unconventional things in this game that might just miss the mark from what the developers had in mind.

However, it has a quirkiness about it that makes it amusing.

The only problem I saw in this game was that just as I was getting into it, IT ENDED!

The ending is unceremonious, you won't see it coming and it comes FAR too close to the beginning of the game. I finished this game in less than an hour and a half. Actually, it was closer to an hour.

You read something that tells you what you need to do next, but instead of sending you to the scene where you can start doing those things, the CREDITS START TO ROLL! This was the most bizarre ending to a game that I have ever seen.

I used a game credit that I purchased on this game, and I want my money back. This was more of a preview of a game, rather than an actual game.

Edited on 05/18/2012 at 8:53:26 PM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Aug 16, 12 2:14 PM
Started...and finished....the game in under 2-1/2 hours. I wouldn't say it's the shortest game I've ever played, but then I'm frequently on pace with the tortoise, not the hare.

I agree that one minute we're solving a mystery, then and we're done, with a setup for a part 3. It seems doubtful I would go for a part 3 unless it proved to have alot more to it than this game.

I did have to resort to the walkthrough a few times. Thanks to another post on this forum, saw that devs Puppet Life posted a walkthrough elsewhere, so Googled that. It was very helpful for a couple of confusing puzzles.

I did enjoy the graphics, except there were several items I felt were way too tiny or indistinct as they were placed in dark corners or color-on-same-color.

JoFin
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoFin on Mar 14, 13 7:22 PM
Game consists mainly of hidden object scenes and some mini games. There were many challenges especially with no walkthrough. I bought it as the DD so the price was right, but, it was extremely short even with the quitting to go to the forum to get some tips to help me move along. I didn't have any of the technical problems that others encountered. The next installment, War of the Worlds III, (I think that's the name) seems to start where this one ends.

AFlowers
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by AFlowers on Mar 17, 13 8:46 PM
Like many here, I almost did not finish the demo. I would not have had it not been for those who said to keep going. I am glad I did. Once I got to the pyramid, the scenes, music, and gameplay were great! Even the hidden object scenes were somewhat of a challenge.

Yes, it was just a bit on the short side. But for only $2.99, and I still played for at least a couple of hours.

To the developers: The first part of the game almost killed it for me, and apparently a lot of others. Please make the next one longer. As far as I am concerned, you can get rid of the assistant and just use a simple help/hint/instruction system. The assistant was OK, it just took up a lot of screen real estate. Otherwise, keep up the good work!

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Oct 22, 13 8:37 PM
Wow! What a little hidden gem !!!!
I would not have tried this since I noticed the word "too short" but when I read reviews by LovetoMissLisa & cbtx & edmee1947 AND autumn_leaf I decided to try it.
Well trying first chapter was not too good for me as I'm used to the other developers styles and in this one I felt frustrated and lost BUT I decided to go ahead and buy with a PCC that was expiring in March of 2013...Well it has been in my GM since and I decided to give it another try and I loved it !!!!!
Read the reviews of the ones that are so talented with their reviews ....Next sale I'm going to get Between the Worlds III fully knowing it is too short but it is IMHO a great game with a lot of thought in it...
AND remember when looking in the clouds...
SPOILER:hold down your mouse button and let the Dragonfly flutter away the clouds end of spoiler
I Have to give this shortie little gem a full & 1/2 out of 5...It was that good just hope that the developers keep up their great work and make a loooonger game next time
This one is going to stay in my GM to be played again

Edited on 10/22/2013 at 9:10:59 PM PST

Go to: