SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for Entwined: Strings of Deception

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Apr 16, 12 5:11 AM
I love detective mysteries but this was definitely way too boring to hold my attention & all I could do was plod through the game to get to the end as soon as possible. It was a classic murder but without any of the ingeniousness of an Agatha Christie or the enjoyment of a James Patterson.

The objectives are very clear & you will end up with a long task list; if you get stuck simply click on the task & you will get a list of actions to solve the puzzle, sort of like a built in walkthrough.

The voiceovers are excellent but unfortunately none of the dialogue is clickable so you have to sit through interminable speeches or skip the scene altogether. The graphics remind me of the old fashioned games, they are very flat & uninteresting.

The hidden object scenes are all junk piles, the puzzles are nothing new & you end up filling up your inventory with items & wondering what to do with half of them. You do get to collect 17 fingerprints & 20 pieces jewellery as an extra task during the game but even this extra did not warm me to the gameplay.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Apr 22, 12 3:49 PM
This was just an OK game. The graphic's were not as good as most. The puzzles were fine and the HOS were fine too! The story was normal. There are better games out there.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 23, 12 7:54 AM
i could not find all the fingerprints or jewelery and i double checked all the locations.

iwas also left with several items in my inventory,

h.o.s. got to be a bit boring, help button i thought was not much help

graphics were nice and sharp

and despite all the negatives i quite enjoyed this game!

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Jun 17, 12 6:13 PM
OK, here's my review of Entwined: Strings of Deception:

Options: Offered were Music, Effects, Voices, Full Screen, Widescreen & Custom Cursor. Game modes were Casual or Expert.

Graphics: Certainly bright, and what I call "crisp." This looked a lot like the way adventure games used to look before shadows and details were added. The graphics were easy on the eye, but definitely didn't have a realistic feel to it. Not many cutscenes.

Voices/Sounds/Music: Voiceovers were good, sounds were nothing special, and the music was ok.

Minis/HOGs: Mini games were pretty easy for the most part, and the HOGs were junkpiles - nothing special.

Game Overall: I would certainly call this a whodunnit, but not of the same quality as an Agatha Christie novel as some fishies have indicated. I knew within minutes of meeting the character who was responsible for the murder simply because of the way the Devs tried to throw you off. I'm not saying that I'm an expert, but I've read enough whodunnits to know the difference between good writing and mediocre. I'm really sorry, but this game didn't really grab my interest.

Recommendation: Although this game didn't really do it for me, I'm sure it will be a good one for new players who enjoy any whodunnit stories. Just a tiny bit of blood on a weapon, but otherwise no guts or gore for the squeamish.

Out of 5 stars, I give this one

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 1, 12 6:17 PM
This feels like an older game, with older graphics. However it it fun and for me that is the main thing. I like mysteries, but dislike searching for "Extra" objects that add nothing to the story. All in all, this is a buy for me.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 24, 12 11:40 PM
I didn't even finish the trial. I found it boring, I don't care "who dunnit," I found that little "whoosh" noise irritating. The only good thing I noticed is that, although my cursor danced after some misclicks (which I normally find quite irritating), there were some rather snarky comments made when it did so. I do enjoy snarky comments.

I have read every Agatha Christie novel written, many under more than one title. This is nothing like an Agatha Christie novel. I'm not like the protagonist. I didn't like her, me, whatever. I wanted to smack myself.

Plus, there's just so much of the same old stuff. Gotta look in the fireplace, a room will be dark, the door is locked, yada yada yada...

Maybe it's just me. I really need to find a good evil sanitarium or spooky ghost story. I can't get enough of those.

Sorry; I'm glad so many people like it. It's just not for me.

Edited on 08/24/2012 at 11:46:24 PM PST

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Sep 15, 12 11:49 AM
Just finished this game and LOVED it. Bought it some time back, but have such a backlog of games that I just recently got around to playing it. (I'm an avid gamer and have a very large collection of games.)

Unlike some others who posted about this game, I liked the graphics very much and also the format of the game. I'll admit that the mechanics of the fingerprints puzzle seemed a bit awkward, but I was able to solve it successfully and managed fine with the mechanics of the game otherwise.

I noticed that some reviewers stated the game was boring. I found it quite interesting, so I guess that goes to prove that "one person's trash is another person's treasure".

Yes, there is a lot of "back and forth" in the game, but that could be said about most of the hidden object games I have played.

The "who-done-it" theme of the game drew me in and I liked being involved in solving the crime.

This is a game I will enjoy replaying later and I highly recommend it.

Classicaljazz

hidden007
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by hidden007 on Nov 22, 12 8:58 PM
Loved the game from beginning to end!!! I ended up not even needing any hints or help (not sure if there is a walk-thru available for this game anyway). I enjoyed that the HO scenes were not hard, it was fairly easy but not so easy that it was boring, and I liked the storyline. I would highly recommend this game to anyone wanting a nice, clean, enjoyable HOG with some adventure thrown in!!! Thank you Big Fish for another winner!!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 11, 12 8:37 AM
Just finished the demo and find the graphics amazingly bright, clear and crisp especially in the HOS. Items can be small, but are easy to find because of the clarity. There seems to be quite a few HOS which I can see may eventually be boring.

However, I am feeling a great deal of frustration. I am not finding the HINT very useful, the map only tells you where you are and that doesn't help me out...I would like to have some help in knowing what to do next. I have an inventory full of odd items and haven't a clue as to what to do with them. I've been all over the mansion trying to figure out where next to go...Objectives tell me all these things I'm suppose to be doing, but where and how to take the next step is a mystery. I like games to move along smoothly not make me feel like I am stumbling all over the place.

This is a 2.99 special and even so I am still undecided as to continue with this game. I find the voiceovers fine, and I am one that will usually turn those off immediately. A lot of dialog that you can skip and I usually do because it gets tedious and not really very helpful.

The few games I've encountered I also found tedious and eventually skipped. Skip seems to recharge quickly. Music seemed to disappear at one point. So far, a 2.5 out of 5.

Edited on 12/11/2012 at 8:39:04 AM PST

cohiba
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by cohiba on Feb 20, 13 10:16 AM
This game has to be one of the best I have ever tried ..
There are so many excellent details it would take a while to list them all.
I only with there were more games from these people.- ? Or at least similar games.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 11:40 PM
Good HO Whodunit

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

This is one of those games I bought on a whim but shouldn’t have, because it is just not my cup of tea. However, I will try to give you an unbiased appraisal of the game.

It’s a MODERN WHODUNIT, complete with detective, that's you, MURDER BOOK in hand. It lists suspects (5), autopsy, observations and task list. A famous inventor has been murdered in his home, found at the bottom of the stairs with a (non-fatal) stab wound, injuries from the fall, and poisoned contents in his stomach. Sounds like they all had a go at him!

His mansion is a wonderful, many-roomed affair, and that NON-INTERACTIVE MAP is a necessary accessory. HINT is VERY HELPFUL outside HOS, you choose a task you want help with, and it will list the necessary steps. It WILL NOT tell you where to go next, however, you will have to work that out. In HOS, it gives you a close-up view of the item.

The game is dominated by ADVENTURE action. You spend most of your time trying to nut out the clues, and there are only a VERY FEW PUZZLES. A lot of toing and froing is required, and it is easy to lose track of what was needed where. But then that’s what adventure games are all about, right?

There are quite a lot of HO SCENES, which provide many of the tools you’ll need. They are of the NON-INTERACTIVE LIST variety and can be quite tricky.

CRYSTAL CLEAR REALISTIC GRAPHICS make the scenes a joy to search.
TWO COLLECTIBLES. FINGERPRINTS are collected with a fingerprint kit. And there is also a large quantity of JEWELLERY just lying around.

I am convinced that someone without my prejudices would find this a good game, but I doubt anyone would be floored by it.

I recommend this game!

Go to: