itsme07
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by itsme07 on Jan 27, 09 10:59 AM
Thanks for the post bfgErie.

for a "quickie" Juliamadeane your description is perfect.

Edited on 01/27/2009 at 12:00:10 PM PST

looloo123
Stingray
Stingray
5,004 Posts

[Post New]by looloo123 on Jan 27, 09 11:08 AM
BIG FISH ! HIRE JULIA
for a person who not only plays all the games on big fish and CP i also play MMORPG
which do have some violence. Better to kill the monsters in a game, then in real llife.
played the demo=i agree with julias description which was perfect.
poodles description is pretty accurate on the game play=no problem seen here!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 27, 09 11:28 AM
CYNTHIA wrote: I read game title and said NO NO in my head right away then read description and said NO NO out loud, A bully is a bully even if they are trying to do good, No type of bullying is good! My granddaughter has gone through this and there is no need to teach children how to bully through a game. I think BFG made a mistake putting this one out, This is the first time I have totally disagreed with a game. I won't waste my time downloading it.
Some people may disagree with me but that is OK; even one is entitled to their opinion. Just had to put in my two cents!

I, for one, totally agree with you! *I* was bullied around as a teenager myself because I was the shortest kid in school AND had glasses from 1st grade on. It is NOT fun, and it DOES continue to affect you in your adult life. It's so easy for parents and other adults to just say "ignore it", but it just doesn't work that way when you're a kid in real life. The bullying when I was a kid is NOT the same as when some of our parents were kids, and the bullying today is DEFINITELY not the same as when I was a kid.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 27, 09 11:39 AM
ladycholla wrote:......One of the reasons I like BF so much is how clean the games have been without killing and ugliness.

This is a fun gaming site, without all the bad stuff from the other types of gaming hardware. rules right now in the way they handle games, CS and attitude, would hate to see any of it change. Please don't do this. Some of us older ones have seen too much ugly in life and don't need any of it here.

ABSOLUTELY!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 27, 09 11:53 AM
Sablesshadow wrote:
Poodlebear wrote:
ladycholla wrote: For another negative opinion, add mine to the list. If BF is in a hurry to offer a new game every day and can't do better than a bullies one, then skip a couple of days. We didn't used to always get one everyday and we can live without one like this.

My daughter was bullied in junior high and it's not funny. When they threatened her with bodily harm, I got involved and put a stop to it. That was done with the promise of a lawsuit, money out of dad's pockets, and she even had to have a school guard accompany her to and from school, until the girls were transferred to another school.

That's how bad it can be, scary, let's keep this site away from this kind of stuff and if you want these type of games, buy and or play from another location. I want my grandson someday to be able to play games here without worrying about it. One of the reasons I like BF so much is how clean the games have been without killing and ugliness.

This is a fun gaming site, without all the bad stuff from the other types of gaming hardware. rules right now in the way they handle games, CS and attitude, would hate to see any of it change. Please don't do this. Some of us older ones have seen too much ugly in life and don't need any of it here

This game has nothing to do with that or anything remotely about the reality of bullying in High School. Sheesh!

I agree with Poodlebear that censorship is bad, but I think Ladycholla has a valid point that had been until now a premier site. I was horrified that the taunting, etc. was so appalling. I like to play games for the amusement factor. For me, it's just not an enjoyable game. has slipped.

The game may have nothing to do with bullying, but the description sure leads you to think it does. In fact, both the description and the name of the game led me to think the developers (not ) ARE targeting a younger audience with this game. After reading the description, I was going to just ignore this game totally, but I wanted to see what others on the forums had to say about it. I'm glad to hear that there may be some positive things about the game for adults, but even so, the description still does not lead me to think anything positive about it all. I was also very surprised (based on the description ONLY) that would offer something like this and even more surprised to read here.....cont.

eWonka
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by eWonka on Jan 27, 09 11:54 AM
Gentlsong,

Bullying is a terrible thing in the real world, for any generation. This game does not promote bullying. The example I gave showed how it promotes defending yourself against bullying.

Edited on 01/27/2009 at 11:54:45 AM PST

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 27, 09 11:56 AM
...that it had won awards. If it's truly not what the description obviously leads me and others to think it is, then it definitely needs a new description...sooner rather than later.

Just my opinion.

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Jan 27, 09 12:01 PM
Gentlsong wrote:...that it had won awards. If it's truly not what the description obviously leads me and others to think it is, then it definitely needs a new description...sooner rather than later.

Just my opinion.

I think you have summed up this issue clearly and concisely!!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 27, 09 12:09 PM
Julia's description is far better. And I assume it truly reflects the game. But I will not download it on principle at the moment because the present description suggests bullying (game or no game) can be fun. And as a mum and teacher I know that is so untrue, for the bully and the bullied.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 27, 09 12:19 PM
juliamadeane wrote:
Gentlsong wrote:...that it had won awards. If it's truly not what the description obviously leads me and others to think it is, then it definitely needs a new description...sooner rather than later.

Just my opinion.

I think you have summed up this issue clearly and concisely!!

Thanks Julia! I really liked your description. I don't like being negative about things at all, but the original description and even the name of the game completely turned me off at first. Although, I'm not really into what happened in high school in the 20s, I might just have to give this game at least a try after reading everything said here.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 27, 09 12:26 PM
bfgErie wrote:I want everyone to know that Big Fish Games hears your concerns about this game. There is taunting involved, but we found that this taunting is pretty tame by today's comparison (it is set in the 1920's). It's worth noting that Dangerous High School Girls doesn't contain any violence. We ask that you please not judge the game based on the short description posted on our website. I know that there was some internal discussion about releasing the game and whether this was appropriate for our website. But after we played the game, we decided that it would be fine for Big Fish Games.

bfgErie,

Thank you VERY much for your post! I am glad to hear that there was some concern at as to whether this game was appropriate for their site. It says to me that really is truly committed to keeping this site within certain guidelines for what is included on it. It also says to me that can read beyond descriptions and judge things by what truly perceives them to be rather than just by what the thing says it is. If possible, I do think the game would do better with a description that comes much closer to what it really is. And, yes, I'm basing that last sentence on what others here have said it is, not on my own experience yet.

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jan 27, 09 12:52 PM
Julia's description is perfect!!
BF, please change it to that and pay julie for her fantastic description....it is a way more accurate description of the game

eWonka
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by eWonka on Jan 27, 09 1:20 PM
Uh oh, somebody's paying attention this discussion. I just checked the Mousechief company page, and it has Julia's description.

The reason I looked there was because of something claimed in this thread, that the developer was trying to attract children to their game. I remembered seeing a TEEN warning label on their site, and I just wanted to double-check.

Yep, the developer originally labeled game for TEENs or older, on their website. Maybe bgf should put it on theirs?

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Jan 27, 09 1:23 PM
They're using Julia's description? HOORAY For her!!!! I hope they compensate her, too.

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Jan 27, 09 1:24 PM
Purplerabbit wrote:At least you tried it, Gee.

Sorry to give you the wrong impression. I did download the game and demo'd it. I consider it to be mean-spirited and despicable. I'm not saying has these characteristics, but I think the game sure does. I don't care what the description chanages to, It's still mean-spirited and snarky!

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Jan 27, 09 1:29 PM
juliamadeane wrote:I can see where it would cause discussion in the BFG office as well as here. The description of this game is TERRIBLE. It doesn't come close to describing what the game is about.

Also, when people think of high schools, bullying, taunting . . . I can guarantee that Columbine is in the back of all their minds. This game is so far removed from all of that. The description does not do it justice at all!! Try something like this:

Welcome to the world of the Roaring 20's and the adventures of Teenage Flappers. Follow the exploits of finicky, fussy, female highschool students as they solve mysterious accidents at their school. Facing suspicious adminstrators, atagnoistic intructors, and your own peers, gather and lead your group of friends to expose secrets using the tools teenage girls in the 1920's had in abundance: quick wit, feminine charm, plenty of sass, highly developed sense of fashion and a batted eyelash -- or two!

It was just a quickie!

Jule

Wow That was great!!! That made me download it right away. Thats Jule. You really have a way with words.
giggyann

Hey Bigfish
Jule is looking for a job!!!!!!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 27, 09 1:51 PM
I just read the MouseChief site also, and I'm glad they used Julia's description on the 2nd page. However, the line included after that about this being a game where good girls get better by being bad would still turn me off. For their clientele, however, it might be appropriate.

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Jan 27, 09 2:01 PM
Sablesshadow wrote:
Purplerabbit wrote:At least you tried it, Gee.

Sorry to give you the wrong impression. I did download the game and demo'd it. I consider it to be mean-spirited and despicable. I'm not saying has these characteristics, but I think the game sure does. I don't care what the description chanages to, It's still mean-spirited and snarky!

I can absolutely see your position and I support it. I am NOT a fan of things like "redrum" -- which is really weird since we all know my thing with Ravenhearst -- but you understood that game from the description. I initially had the "what in the world were they thinking" reaction as the rest of us. (I too can give you horror story after horror story regarding bullying and taunting when I was a teenager) I came on here to see what the deal was and found enough "reasonable doubt" to at least give it further attention and after 10 minutes of the demo figured out that the description in no way reflected what was really happening in the game. I only did the quick little description simply because I wanted to know if the description had been more about the actual play of the game, would we all have had the same reaction.

One more thing to think about . . . we are our own little microcosm here with having the TGT access. Can you imagine just what the reaction will be tomorrow when it goes into general release from BFG download page?

[Post New]by XanderTheSlayer on Jan 27, 09 2:02 PM
Oh, I've been waiting for this one!

I tried the demo some time ago, from the official website, and really liked it. I'm waiting so tomorrow I'll give another try on the BigFish version.
Too bad that I won't be able to purchase it soon.

Probably worth mentioning, it got a nominee for video game writing from the Writers Guild Awards. That is really something!

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jan 27, 09 2:05 PM
Jule, isn't that plagerism if they are using your description? Without your consent? LOL
(Disclaimer: I have not looked at the site to see if it is truem or not...just taking a poster's word for it)

Go to: