silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shiver: Poltergeist Collector's Edition

[Post New]by silverink on Apr 22, 12 12:34 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The graphics were very atmospheric and the story was engaging. The game play was smooth and moderately challenging. The game was mostly adventure/inventory type elements, with fewer hidden object scenes and puzzles than other games of this type. There were only a few puzzles, but they were very good. The bonus game was a good length and enhanced the main story. True widescreen graphics would have made the game even better. I appreciated that the CE wallpapers were available at the beginning of the game.

Overall, an excellent game!

sheltie07
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by sheltie07 on Apr 27, 12 4:57 PM
This is a excellent game but I have to say it is the hardest one I have ever played.
Thank goodness for the guide or I would never have finished it.
I like when the guide is on the same screen.

Futo
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by Futo on Sep 23, 12 2:20 PM
No bonus play for me!!!! This is really frustrating when you buy the collectors edition!! Instead of bonus play there is only the SG and the screensavers!!!!!!!!
Anyway,nice game , nice level of difficulty, the storyline lacs originality.

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Oct 22, 12 11:10 AM
What can i say except this was just as exciting and challenging as the Vanishing Hitchhiker..both games are just outstanding games
It took me 5hrs to finish the main game on casual and i was getting alittle stuck on the end but then the bonus chapter came along which took me almost 2hrs and oh boy that was even harder...way too much fun what a blast
Not too many Ho's or puzzles, not too hard yet very hard at times..story just kept you pulled in and the sounds and effects were timed perfectly within the scenes like no other i have seen..amazing effects and sounds!!!
I will say..if you don't like adventure this may not be for you..or if you like transporter maps because there is alot of back and forth. I love games without transporter maps because it gives me the ability to find my way around without that trapped feeling of being stuck in one location per say..and the hunt and finding locations is just as fun as finding clues and stuff you will use. This game gave the player alot of free run of the property and not isolated to one location which i really loved....it's part of the adventure and so is getting lost
This game was long and well worth the CE price hands down. It was creepy, had an awesome storyline that kept you intrigued and just blew me away from every angle this game offered.
I hope they release a new one for Halloween Keeping my fingers crossed!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 25, 12 8:30 PM
First of all I can’t recommend either the CE or the SE. The CE had nothing in the extras other than the usual (concept art, wallpaper, SG) and main game took me 3hrs! (no skipping but did use hints in HOS) Bonus took me less than an hour.

But I can’t even recommend the SE (apart from super short main game) you need the CE to complete the story. So if you can get the CE at half price like I did and don’t mind all of above let’s look further into the game itself…

It is trying to be an atmospheric game and mostly succeeds with this although in the middle it lost its way with this and with bog standard gameplay even the occasional good cutscene got lost. Game opens with a girl at the top of a lighthouse with a fire behind her and a cloaked figure rowing away. Plot is all told by finding notes around the place – you are having a boring life when you find out you have inherited this old manor in an English island; intriguing opening, lonely eerie manor with only the butler as you arrive. If you want voiceovers you need to keep the music on.

Sadly the occasional ‘spooky’ cutscene and there were some good ones, especially the rare first person ‘movement’ scenes but gameplay was so boring and bog standard at the middle it was unbelievable. At the very end the plot got interesting and was well done but it actually spelled out the things you didn’t know yet and was a literal cliffhanger so you would want to play the bonus.

If you love HOS but hate puzzles then this is your game as there were only 6 puzzles in the main game so it seemed there were more HOS than they really were (14 HOS). Graphics were lovely and sharp sometimes but in HOS it was that faded, hard to see mostly junk pile with only mild interaction scenes which I can’t finish fast enough and that was hampered by the random click penalty. What was lovely to see though, was that the HOS weren’t repeated. Puzzles were easy, one was arcade target, need to look in diary for clues to another couple.

There are 3 choice of hardness and even the hardest had sparkles on HOS and black bar tips but hint and skip were not available. You can change settings mid game. Sometimes in the inventory there are items that are in a small box – this can mean either puzzle or you need another inventory item on it.

There was no transporter map so there is a lot of backtracking. You can replay the cutscenes in main menu which was good.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 25, 12 8:31 PM
continued

BONUS

Bonus play was in all new area and the plot, and suspense and quality I thought was all good it was just very short. I could imagine if you weren’t playing on hardest setting it wouldn’t be much over 30mins I was daft at one point so took me longer about 50 mins.

There were 4 additional HOS and only 2 puzzles.

If you can pick up the CE at half price and don’t mind how short it is and above information then I do recommend it to you if you like quite a few straight list HOS and no puzzles and like ghosts and don’t mind in TOTAL it’s only 4hrs.

But I was disappointed with bog standard game play in middle, far too short, too many HOS for my taste and no extras and felt like they relied too much on the plot ending to try and make up for it. Nothing irritates me more in DEVs dividing up the plot so you need the bonus to understand the whole story.

So this is why I gave this CE version

Go to: