The average is 3.75 weeks.

Edited on 04/12/2012 at 5:25:23 PM PST

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

Re:Comments for Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Apr 12, 12 5:37 PM
textrekkie wrote:The average is 3.75 weeks.

Ok. Thanks, Tex.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Apr 12, 12 6:05 PM
If I buy a CE game I never bother with the wallpapers or screensavers, but I agree with those who say they should be unlocked right at the time of purchase. I mean, it makes sense - when are you going to use those wallpapers, etc? When you're actually enjoying and playing the game, or once you've moved on to another one? If you have access to them right from the start, you can create a whole gaming experience for yourself with them - not to mention that it keeps the developer artwork and name in the customer's mind.

I mean, we are not kids, to wait for the surprise at the bottom of the Cracker Jack or cereal box. Not all of us play the game to completion the first day it comes out, and we want to finish the game for its own sake, not to get a few wallpapers. People are paying extra money for the CE to get the game first and to have use of the perks that come along with it, immediately. Seems foolish to me to antagonize that customer base.

kittyruss
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by kittyruss on Apr 12, 12 7:58 PM
Well i think this is a great game.I know i am one that gets a lot from a game as i am slow and look at every thing.Hats off to the people that make the games as i would not know where to start.AS I SAY ONE MANS TRASH MY TREASURE.Well as we know there will be other games,but i am off to enjoy this one.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 12, 12 11:42 PM
shagwendy wrote:(My original quote removed here due to lack of space)
The "old wheeze" from her isn't meant to reach you, it's meant to reach the devs. I totally agree with her and she is right to bring this up every time it happens, and CBXT is right to bring up the non-widescreen issue. They both mean a lot to me, too.

Hm, my game played in fullscreen mode, however, seeing as how people are being expected to pay double the price for a game, I agree that they should able to assess ALL of its features.
Might I also (humbly) suggest, that "please change your music/themes" be added to the list of disgruntlements for ERS games.
Cheers

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 13, 12 1:07 AM
textrekkie wrote:I agree that people play at different rates of speed. That's why I always select the hardest mode and I never use hints or skip puzzles or use the Strategy Guide - I want the game to last as long as possible.

However, some games are more complicated than others and some games require more concentration or pull you in deeper with great stories or whatever. And then some games play the same all the time.

I don't believe anyone is trying to boast about a short time - someone merely stated the gameplay as it pertained to them. And anticipating the length of a bonus game by a developer is easy enough, especially if the developer has had many, many CEs. But even that doesn't mean a person doesn't hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Textrekkie, I hope you weren't thinking that I was talking about anyone in this thread. I was talking in general, from what I have seen in the past when, after 2 or 3 hours after the game's release, someone pops in to say how short the game was. Certainly sounded to me as if that person was trying hard to get the game over and done with asap so they can come back to report on the shortness of the game.
However, I didn't mean that everyone who says a game is short was also racing through the game to boast about its shortness. It was a simple observation on my part about some people who seem to treat games like a race.
Of course, that is just how I felt about those statements.

Oh, and happy Friday the 13th, everyone!

Edited on 04/13/2012 at 1:56:28 AM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Apr 13, 12 1:53 AM
I played about half of the demo, and was not impressed. I hated the HOG scenes. I am sorry, but some of the items just don't look like what you are suppose to find. At least with a list, you know what you are looking for. I will probably buy the SE, but I won't be buying the CE of this game.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 13, 12 6:34 AM
Valdy wrote:
textrekkie wrote:I agree that people play at different rates of speed. That's why I always select the hardest mode and I never use hints or skip puzzles or use the Strategy Guide - I want the game to last as long as possible.

However, some games are more complicated than others and some games require more concentration or pull you in deeper with great stories or whatever. And then some games play the same all the time.

I don't believe anyone is trying to boast about a short time - someone merely stated the gameplay as it pertained to them. And anticipating the length of a bonus game by a developer is easy enough, especially if the developer has had many, many CEs. But even that doesn't mean a person doesn't hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Textrekkie, I hope you weren't thinking that I was talking about anyone in this thread. I was talking in general, from what I have seen in the past when, after 2 or 3 hours after the game's release, someone pops in to say how short the game was. Certainly sounded to me as if that person was trying hard to get the game over and done with asap so they can come back to report on the shortness of the game.
However, I didn't mean that everyone who says a game is short was also racing through the game to boast about its shortness. It was a simple observation on my part about some people who seem to treat games like a race.
Of course, that is just how I felt about those statements.

Oh, and happy Friday the 13th, everyone!

Oh no, Valdy - I was commenting in general about game play speed. I didn't think you were talking about anyone in particular. I know everybody wonders about speed issues all the time. They are so relative.

Edited on 04/13/2012 at 6:40:42 AM PST

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Apr 13, 12 10:20 AM
Hi Fishies,

First of all, I aboslutely, positively, ERs Games, they are the very best. This one is no exception, good sound, beautiful graphics, great story line, and an awesome medieval theme.

But I encountered two too many potions so early in the demo. Hate to make those tiring potions and I am going to leave the real fairies to LOTR. And the circle thing that has you looking for magic symbols? to me, totally lame and tediously boring. Sorry ERs. So I guess for me its a no buy on the CE . For the rest, enjoy.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 13, 12 11:24 AM
I have been playing for quite a while now, and I must say that this game does play a little differently than previous ERS games.

And I was very glad to see that after the usualy HOS after those with silhouettes, I encountered another one, and will hopefully encounter more still.

I really enjoy the gameplay and the story as well. Love the characters, love having to mix potions, and I actually do like the puzzles, because many of them I don't have to skip, and some of them were quite different from what I have seen before.

I did look at my clock when I started playing, and I have played now for 2 hours and 45 minutes, and am not yet finished with chapter 6 - there are 10 chapters in all, plus the bonus chapter. So that would mean I took 55 minutes to play 2 chapters. Which means that, if they all take me about the same time, it will take me 4 hours and 35 minutes for the main game.
But even if the rest of the chapters are shorter, this game will definitely be long enough for me. Anything that takes about 3 hours I am happy with, and usually any thing that takes longer than that, I tend to get bored with - ERS games are the exception, of course.

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Apr 13, 12 12:16 PM
judyglenning wrote:I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who complain about not getting the entire strategy guide or a look at the extras before buying.
A demo is a free sample. Why should the developers give everything away for free?
How many other places do these people go where they look somebody in the eye and say, sorry your free sample isn't good enough, I want more.
Not too many I'd dare guess.

Edited for response:
If the shoe doesn't fit don't wear it. I'm talking about the many posts I've seen in the past angry because they don't have access to the whole strategy guide, wanting to count HOS or whatever.
Just a for instance.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Apr 13, 12 4:24 PM
Beautiful game ERS. A definite buy for me.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Apr 13, 12 7:02 PM
"Spirits of Mystery" (as the beginning announces) hmmmm please, kindly, tell me why so many people enjoy these dark dreary games, yet, on second thought, don't tell me... I will just hope they will see the light one day.

Too bad so much talent is wasted on these dread, dismal, dreary based games, there could easily be less of this and still be extremely appealing and have the good versus evil effect, etc The first scene in the "good" versus evil???= an eyeball that moves around in a glass in the supposed 'good' house?????.... just ONE example of many... PLEASE!!!!

Were the graphics superb? YES, the devs talented? YES.... Good game in my opinion? NO!!! What a waste.

Truly, the world is getting bad enough ... get more games into the light, goodness and beauty of life.... fine if you want to base it on good versus evil, but cut the overkill in the direction of darkness... that, IMO.

No more of MY $ wasted on trash themes and I've spent PLENTY of $. Too bad, I'll voice my opinion with the almighty dollar, too.

I haven't written in lately and prob will make a lot of fishies mad at me, I don't care. It is my opinion and it doesn't matter if I am swimming against the tide. My opinion counts.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Apr 13, 12 9:57 PM
Bought this game sight unplayed, as I have the Amber Maiden game.. when I saw that the Dev's was ERS I knew I wouldn't be disappointed ...thanks as usual, you produced..thank you

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Apr 13, 12 11:47 PM
stopped at chapter ten...so late, but loving this game...it's just like the energzer bunnie..it keeps going and going and going.... thanks and the other people who make it happen ..xoxoxoxox

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Apr 14, 12 1:08 AM
Underthebridge wrote:Bought this game sight unplayed, as I have the Amber Maiden game.. when I saw that the Dev's was ERS I knew I wouldn't be disappointed ...thanks as usual, you produced..thank you

I LOVED the AMBER MAIDEN GAME by this DEV! My NEGATIVE comment that I left earlier regarding this NEW game, "SPIRITS OF MYSTERY..." has to do with the leaning toward such darkness and distressing/depressing themes even from the beginning. Amber Maiden is an example of a true work of art in a game, which has suspense and eeriness without going into true negative dark areas of theme.

PLEASE bring us another AMBER MAIDEN and NO MORE of THIS stuff.... unless I missed something, this is SO bleak and dreary from the very beginning. (Eyeballs in a cup... come on). What a waste of the apparent extraordinary talent these devs have in leaning toward these more evil versus harmless fantasy, good versus evil suspense. I don't like it; it's a sad commentary on the world when we have to get into such dreariness as the newer games are being saturated with. Again, bring us more of the magic and intrigue of the Amber Maiden game without the dark arts PLEASE!!

PS: I just want to add, a good game always leaves me with a fond memory and a desire to replay and recommend to others and I include that comment with some of the creepier well made games. Unfortunately, many of the games now leave me feeling empty and almost dirty, like I should hide in the dark to play it, not let anyone know I play such games... and I have very open minded family and friends... to me, they give leave of residue of just plain yuck, I don't want to even think of it after I play it, and many I don't even finish. I'm cutting way back on my purchases of such games. Life is too short to have bad karma saturating into even games.

Edited on 04/14/2012 at 1:13:38 AM PST

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Apr 14, 12 3:23 AM
Fortunatus, I must admit I was startled when I was looking for a glass of water, and the only one I could find had an eyeball in it! But I got over it, and will probably buy this during the one-day sale.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Apr 14, 12 4:39 AM
This was a great game! I am in love with that little dragon on the end in the BC.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 14, 12 6:31 AM
sandhan wrote:Fortunatus, I must admit I was startled when I was looking for a glass of water, and the only one I could find had an eyeball in it! But I got over it, and will probably buy this during the one-day sale.

Actually, you are not using that glass with the eyeball in to fill it with water. In fact, the only time you see that glass with the eyeball in is in the main scene. When you zoom in on that area, which is the table to make a potion, you won't see that glass with the eyeball in anymore.
The glass you are going to use is on a different table altogether (a little to the left of the one with the eyeball in the glass) and looks rather like a goblet.

We all certainly have different opinions of this game. I don't find it dreary, nor do I find it dark. This is a wonderful game, and lots of things are happening in it, with different things added that were not there in previous ERS games.
In fact, even the HOS were not as crowded as they usually are, and graphics in the HOS are, as always, wonderfully done and objects nicely detailed.

I for one am loving this game, and am glad that ERS has stayed true to their graphics and given us a fantastic new game to play.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Apr 14, 12 9:15 AM
This was a beautiful game, after playing the demo for about 10 minutes I knew I was going to buy it ! My only regret is, it was way to short for a CE, even with the bonus content. Overall I would rate it 4 & 1/2 stars out of 5.

Go to: